Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.

View attachment 11060012

Very cool but I don't think its a very flattering adaptation of her face, she is far more beautiful in real life than what CDPR has created here Its quite disappointing actually, but super stoked that she's in the game I've always appreciated her take on the game industry.
lol you're looking at pictures of her with make up on and on the best angle of her face on camera. It's only fitting for people to be "uglyfied" in a dystopian game. I just think it gives a more authentic and believable feel to it. I even feel like she needs more grease stains.

lol you're looking at pictures of her with make up on and on the best angle of her face on camera. It's only fitting for people to be "uglyfied" in a dystopian game. I just think it gives a more authentic and believable feel to it. I even feel like she needs more grease stains.

no her facial features dont align. they made her eyes smaller and her nose bigger these things have nothing to do with makeup.

Alanah said she has one quest only in the Nomad LP (y)so if you don`t do that LP you wont see her . Makes me wonder if if the other LP`s have someone special to give quests .
Skipping side quests in Cdpr games is a very bad idea,its one of their biggest strengths even when i replay the witcher games i always do the side quests,i just hope they keep the youtuber side quests to the absolute minimum,it will be jarring if i keep running into them through out the game,but then again it makes me scratch my head that they said that they want their quests to be meaningful while they do this.

no her facial features dont align. they made her eyes smaller and her nose bigger these things have nothing to do with makeup.
She herself disagrees with you.
Besides, that's not "Alanah". That's a character that's "based" on Alanah's likeness and voiced by her. Why bother with a 1 to 1 facial scanned likeness when they can put a hand-drawn Cyberpunk spin on her design to emphasize the uniqueness of the character?

Last edited:
Besides, that's not "Alanah". That's a character that's "based" on Alanah's likeness and voiced by her. Why bother with a 1 to 1 facial scanned likeness when they can put a hand-drawn Cyberpunk spin on her design to emphasize the uniqueness of the character?

first you said its exactly her, and now you're claiming its not even her....??? well good question, why bring her in if you're not even going to put her in the game? doesn't make much sense now does it? its her but uglified, you can clearly see they changed some of her dimensions, golden ratio is being heavily distorted here.

first you said its exactly her, and now you're claiming its not even her....??? well good question, why bring her in if you're not even going to put her in the game? doesn't make much sense now does it? its her but uglified, you can clearly see they changed some of her dimensions, golden ratio is being heavily distorted here.
I don't remember saying "exactly". Can you find the quote? I meant to say that's not "Alanah" the person but a character based on her likeness and is voiced by Alana Pearce

and why did they bring her in if they weren't going to put her in the game? The same reason Disney animated characters are loosely based on their voice actor's likeness. Same reason as Keanu playing a "character" based on his likeness. If they wanted "Keanu Reeves" the person to be in the game, then maybe they should've not given him cybernetic arms in the 1st place and named him after his real name. There are literally so many ways to do it in the entertainment industry. Whether they want it to be an exact mirror reflection or a stylized version of a person or a completely different character model for that voice actor is completely up to them. This is not an uncommon thing in the industry.

VO.jpg

Last edited:

See, the thing about doing huge favors like immortalizing someone in a game, is that it makes that person bias towards the game. Do you honestly think that she would even hint at being somewhat disappointed in anything related to that after CDPR let her be in the game? Any socially reasonable person would never do that.

Sure there will always be slight deviations inorder to avoid the uncanny valley but in this case they deliberately made her less attractive. They increased the distance between her lips and nose and made her nose bigger, they also increased the distance between her nose and eyes and made her eyes smaller, this all deliberate.

When making an attractive female artists since the early renascence up until about 2017 have followed the golden ratio. A mathematical formula which shows up in nature and geometry. Here is a small video that explains it in broad strokes.

Alanah is a very attractive woman, and her face follows the golden ratio almost perfectly, but its well off in this case.

At least they aren't themselves. I guess I can accept it as "acting".

Still, I prefer when they handcraft faces instead of scanning real people. Stylization >>>> realism. Geralt, Iorveth, Yennefer, Shani turned out great. Much more interesting and immersive than having your characters played by Hollywood actors. It's like giving away one special thing of game making: unlimited freedom in creating fictional worlds. In favor of star power and realism/uncanny valley.

I think it is immersion breaking. You go to these great lengths to build lore, to build first person only, to design and style everything so that it is based on this future state based on a lore that starts in a 2020 that is not close to what our current history is; hopefully. After all of this beautiful world, you then go and insert some facial look alike, named character of some trending equivalent of a D grade star. This is like making a masterpiece painting of the last supper and then inserting kittens and dogs because they are popular on the internet, or creating an incredibly emotional drama and then inserting D rank Dancing with the Stars people. It's 1. Pandering to try and snatch a piece of these streamer's market population, 2. a transitory moment in time, 3. Absolutely nothing to do with CP2077, that world, that lore, etc. Look at the vote! we don't like it, stop doing it. Let the authors of the lore and devs with the artistic touch build the world. Let the story build the world, with the music highlighting the soundscape. Marketing executives have no place in inserting crap like this into CP2077 and then stating that all of their decisions are to foster immersion. Stick to advertising, please.

All I'm ever going to see with Johnny Silverhand is Keanu. And while he's an actor, he's never been considered a good one and has basically played one personality his entire career. He's also with us for most of the game. And now we have half a dozen youtubers, basically celebrities, in the game. Grimes too. Great singer but you better like Lizzie Wizzie with a lisp. I guess I'm wondering if anyone at CDPR thought they were going overboard with this. Especially the writers. They're the ones creating the world and characters, it's hard to imagine they'd say "btw, be sure to pick people who can't voice act to bring my characters to life."

So apparently Jesse Cox, Cohcarnage and possibly others are going to be NPCs (likeness and all) in the game, some of them even having their own quests tied to them and I'm curious about what the community thinks about that.

Personally I hate it. Let me make it crystal clear that I have nothing against those people but I feel it's a bit immersion breaking bumping into these types of NPCs. For my personal taste the 3 farting trolls that referenced Angry Joe, Dodger and Jesse Cox was already pushing it a bit (along with the fact that gwent cards used conteporary personalities like Ciri but that's an entirely different discussion) but this feels.... jarring.

One might argue that they have Keanu in there as Silverhand but Keanu is a professional actor, when I watch Matrix I'm not thinking about him I'm thinking about Neo. I'm capable of detaching Keanu from Silverhand if that makes sense. When I bump into Jesse Cox I'm not going to think "oh, this guy's name is Steve (or whatever) and he has a job for me", I'm going to think "why am I running into Jesse Cox in my singleplayer videogame?".

To me the idea seems contradictory with the heavy emphasis on immersion in the other aspects of the game's design. So what gives?
I love the fact they got Keanu in this game. I that old that I actually saw "Johnny Memnomnic" in cinemas back in the day, which you probably can say this game is somewhat based on. The rest of the so called influencers/Youtuber ive never heard of?! So I wont even know when I see them ingame. Whould have been cooler if they gotten some more real actors, like Jessie from "Breaking bad" or something but of course its a money issue.

See, the thing about doing huge favors like immortalizing someone in a game, is that it makes that person bias towards the game. Do you honestly think that she would even hint at being somewhat disappointed in anything related to that after CDPR let her be in the game? Any socially reasonable person would never do that.
Well, at least she's aware of her biases and promises not to review the game. Cause if she did with her included biases, then that would be silly.. like most game journalists these days. Pretty sure she has her nitpicks and criticisms as well like the most of us.

Sure there will always be slight deviations inorder to avoid the uncanny valley but in this case they deliberately made her less attractive. They increased the distance between her lips and nose and made her nose bigger, they also increased the distance between her nose and eyes and made her eyes smaller, this all deliberate.

When making an attractive female artists since the early renascence up until about 2017 have followed the golden ratio. A mathematical formula which shows up in nature and geometry. Here is a small video that explains it in broad strokes.

Alanah is a very attractive woman, and her face follows the golden ratio almost perfectly, but its well off in this case.
Sure, but if it's deliberate though, I don't see how there's anything wrong with that. If the person that's presented is completely happy with the result, then I don't think we should be complaining on her behalf.

At least they aren't themselves. I guess I can accept it as "acting".

Still, I prefer when they handcraft faces instead of scanning real people. Stylization >>>> realism. Geralt, Iorveth, Yennefer, Shani turned out great. Much more interesting and immersive than having your characters played by Hollywood actors. It's like giving away one special thing of game making: unlimited freedom in creating fictional worlds. In favor of star power and realism/uncanny valley.
i think thats the problem,none of these youtubers are actors,acting is not an easy job and it requires more than just a good voice to do it,i heard alanah pierce's voice in gears 5 and recognized it instantly,it sadly stuck out like a sore thumb especially compared to the other NPCs in the game,think of the best characters that CDPR made like geralt,ciri,yenn,triss and the bloody baron,none of them would have been as remembered if it was not for the incredible acting that these characters had.

Guest 3847602

Hopefully they replace the voices too.
Ideally, yes, but voices are not as intrusive to me as faces.
Besides, I reckon most, if not all of the internet celebrities' voice acting will only be present in English localization, so there's always band-aid solution of playing in some other language.

Now first of all i will say i am in the don`t give a shit camp . I don`t know most of these YTers , i all so don`t see a difference between " celebrities " in the game and actors in a movie all done for my entertainment BUT i understand and respect it is a big deal to some :ok:

As @Mk3rd has posted Alanah has be up front about her bias towards the game without tells us why until now . She has also said she wont review the game because of this .

Alanah wasn`t scaned in by CDPR , she send them pics of herself . That might explain why it`s not spot on Alanah in the game . As i have posted earlier i would not have picked that NPC for Alanah but i would be able to pick her voice .

Top Bottom