Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
i don't know any of them and these streamers/ videogame youtubers are pretty much cringe. hopefully it won't be that intrusive

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
of all the youtubers he is the only one that i approve because HE IS AN ACTOR,really loved his work in Detroit.
Post automatically merged:

DD.jpg

OH GOD PLEASE NO....

What we need in CP77 is a pewdiepie commercial on the radio, where him saying his name in a high-pitched manner, sounds out between every two songs.

It won’t be obnoxious at all, I promise.

On a more serious note though, I’ve given this whole subject some more thought from another angle.

The heart of the Cyberpunk genre, is still a reflection on a corporate dystopian future. However, that future is often based off what people thought and feared in the 1970’s.

The reason why Japanese Corps like Arasaka have such a prominent role in CP77, is because in the 70’s, people still feared real-life Japanese corps buying up or replacing American ones.
That’s not relevant these days.

Same goes for views like this:
C3B8413B-CEE8-4597-AB5F-E4C7171A218C.jpeg

In the 70’s, people still thought that big intrusive adverts everywhere would be a nightmare and a sure sign of something having gone wrong.
Nowadays, all of this has come true in the central square of big cities, and we all battle internet advertisement daily.
Most advertisement no longer gives us the feeling something has gone wrong. It’s just annoying and not particularly dystopian. It doesn’t serve to unnerve us anymore, like Cyberpunk should.

That is... unless CDPR starts using the likeness of actual youtubers in ingame adds for CP77 apparently. THEN suddenly people get a feeling of wrongness again. It might not be the dystopian feeling that should’ve been invoked, but it’s fun to see that CDPR’s tac, has actually managed to make Cyberpunk advertisement unnerving and relevant again.

If you approach this whole business from that angle, and this really was CDPR’s intention, then it’s actually pretty clever. Just like the 70’s original, CDPR has managed to make modern Cyberpunk reflect and make a statement on our 2020’s society this way, on how we see ourselves, and to see what society thinks is important, plastered over walls to our chagrin.

If all that’s true, I’m actually kinda appreciative of this move. Seeing DRdisrespect in my game, would sure make me feel like I’ve happened upon a dark future and that we should burn it all down.

Last edited:
What we need in CP77 is a pewdiepie commercial on the radio, where him saying his name in a high-pitched manner, sounds out between every two songs.

On a more serious note though, I’ve given this whole subject some more thought from another angle.

The heart of the Cyberpunk genre, is still a reflection on a corporate dystopian future. However, that future is often based off what people thought and feared in the 1970’s.

The reason why Japanese Corps like Arasaka have such a prominent role in CP77, is because in the 70’s, people still feared real-life Japanese corps buying up or replacing American ones.
That’s not relevant these days.

View attachment 11063924

In the 70’s, people still thought that big intrusive adverts everywhere would be a nightmare and a sure sign of something having gone wrong.
Nowadays, all of this has come true in the central square of big cities, and we all battle internet advertisement daily.
Most advertisement no longer gives us the feeling something has gone wrong. It’s just annoying and not particularly dystopian. It doesn’t serve to unnerve us anymore, like CP77 should.

That is... unless CDPR starts using the likeness of actual youtubers in ingame adds apparently. THEN suddenly people get a feeling of wrongness again. It might not be the dystopian feeling that should’ve been invoked, but it’s fun to see that CDPR’s tac, has actually managed to make Cyberpunk advertisement unnerving again.

If you approach this whole business from that angle, and this really was CDPR’s intention, then it’s actually pretty clever. Just like the 70’s original, CDPR has managed to make modern Cyberpunk reflect and make a statement on our 2020’s society this way, on ho we see ourselves, and to see what society thinks is important, plastered over walls to our chagrin.

If all that’s true, I’m actually kinda appreciative of this move.

if thats your angle I guess you would also support pop-up ads during game play for coke?

That is not their intention. their intention is to add something fun to the game and some give backl to the dedicated content creator community.

It wouldn't be out-of-character if you consider the media personalities of 2077. It would be pretty much in point in fact. Which is why I kind of like putting these people in in the first place.

Dangerous game to play IMHO.

If these "celebrities" get into any real life scandals, it could damage the game - like how none of Bill Cosby's shows are air-able anymore.

I suppose they could sneak in a few references while leaving a sort of ambiguity with regards to the character of the celebrity NPC - e.g. they sneak in a Pokimane NPC while making it clear that much of her private life is shrouded in mystery. This way, even if Pokimane turns out to be a serial killer in real life, the NPC would still kind of work.

That said, even with such "hedging", it pretty dangerous as the celebrity could become so hated as to be PR polonium that would sink anything he/she touches.

Dangerous game to play IMHO.

If these "celebrities" get into any real life scandals, it could damage the game - like how none of Bill Cosby's shows are air-able anymore.

I suppose they could sneak in a few references while leaving a sort of ambiguity with regards to the character of the celebrity NPC - e.g. they sneak in a Pokimane NPC while making it clear that much of her private life is shrouded in mystery. This way, even if Pokimane turns out to be a serial killer in real life, the NPC would still kind of work.

That said, even with such "hedging", it pretty dangerous as the celebrity could become so hated as to be PR polonium that would sink anything he/she touches.

Lmao, that just not true.

What ever scandals these guys get into in the future, will in zero way have any impact on this game. It will literally not matter if one of them ends up as a serial killer or rapist.

Last edited:
I don't recognize most of them, so it doesn't matter much to me. I'd probably be a little annoyed if they were all actual characters, but seeing they all seem to be billboards or adverts, I've no issue. They look like any other normal person on it, but maybe because I know few if any of them that's why I feel that way. Don't mind Amelia and Bryan being actual characters since, you know, they're famous for BEING characters in another game (which they did very well in).

View attachment 11063924

That is... unless CDPR starts using the likeness of actual youtubers in ingame adds for CP77 apparently. THEN suddenly people get a feeling of wrongness again. It might not be the dystopian feeling that should’ve been invoked, but it’s fun to see that CDPR’s tac, has actually managed to make Cyberpunk advertisement unnerving and relevant again.

If you approach this whole business from that angle, and this really was CDPR’s intention, then it’s actually pretty clever. Just like the 70’s original, CDPR has managed to make modern Cyberpunk reflect and make a statement on our 2020’s society this way, on how we see ourselves, and to see what society thinks is important, plastered over walls to our chagrin.

If all that’s true, I’m actually kinda appreciative of this move. Seeing DRdisrespect in my game, would sure make me feel like I’ve happened upon a dark future and that we should burn it all down.

Oh please. Dont tell me you believe this? This must be biggest reality bending I have seen in a long time. They did it so that influencers would advertise their game. There is no hidden clever deep meaning about it. You just did olympic level of mental gymnastics here mate. This is some gold medal deserving stuff.

Lmao, that just not true.

What ever scandals these guys get into in the future, will in zero way have any impact on this game. It will literally not matter if one of them ends up as a serial killer or rapist.
Bill Cosby has basically sunk everything he has ever worked on. Kevin Spacy has sunk everything he has worked on.

It really depends on just how bad the scandal is too. At best the reference becomes a slight distraction and an annoyance - as the juxtaposition between the image portrayed by the game and reality conflicts. Worst case, the distraction is too much to suspend disbelief ruining the entire experience.

Oh please. Dont tell me you believe this? This must be biggest reality bending I have seen in a long time. They did it so that influencers would advertise their game. There is no hidden clever deep meaning about it. You just did olympic level of mental gymnastics here mate. This is some gold medal deserving stuff.
Yeah as much as i hate to admit it,i have to agree putting this many youtubers and streamers in the game feels like a cheap way to market the game i personally wouldnt trust any of their opinions on it

Thanks!

Although it's not so much mental gymnastics, as just mulling it and the cyberpunk genre over and taking an interesting approach to the subject from an interesting angle. I didn't so much convince myself into an alternate reality, as just having a fun little brain burb over it. I'm under no impression that simple advertisement is the primary motivation here. :p

I just sometimes find it relaxing to be mentally fluid and/or creative, even if it's way off in far field.

Bill Cosby has basically sunk everything he has ever worked on. Kevin Spacy has sunk everything he has worked on.

It really depends on just how bad the scandal is too. At best the reference becomes a slight distraction and an annoyance - as the juxtaposition between the image portrayed by the game and reality conflicts. Worst case, the distraction is too much to suspend disbelief ruining the entire experience.

These people were stars in said shows lol

It doesn't matter how bad it is. Random actors for npcs from a video doing shit will not affect the game.

Even if the players character was involved in something like. This it wouldn't damage the game. Come off it.

I don't really care, as I do not watch streamers/twitchers or w.e they are called. That being said, I don't think the VO team/sound team would use subpar voice acting. So as long as the audio/VO cleared the sound director's standards it shouldn't matter. I wouldn't be able to tell you which npc is one of those people and ill keep it that way. I'm guessing they did it as a tool to give those people's fans some easter egg, nothing more. Why I voted : Don't care.

These people were stars in said shows lol

It doesn't matter how bad it is. Random actors for npcs from a video doing shit will not affect the game.

Even if the players character was involved in something like. This it wouldn't damage the game. Come off it.
That's the thing.

If it's just voice actors with fictional characters, it's very low risk because 99% of the time you can replace the scandal-afflicted VA with little penalty - exception being you use a very well known VA who is tied to the character in marketing material; who will effectively act as a "star" for the product. Once the VA is cut lose and recast, you have severed the connection to the scandal.

If you put in a NPC based on a real life person (and even have that person voice the NPC) … it's going to be much more troublesome to exorcise the NPC as you will have to completely replace it (and the voice behind it) and this will impact the storylines.

It doesn't help that "influencers" are very public figures, much more so than voice actors (most who we know next to nothing about; it can be hard to even find a picture of them), thus have a higher chance of being involved with a scandal. Youtubers, Twitch streamers, even esports players (e.g. Smash players recently) ... etc. are hit by scandals pretty often - most of them minor, tolerable but still not great; however if a big scandal hits ... it will be troublesome.

That's the thing.

If it's just voice actors with fictional characters, it's very low risk because 99% of the time you can replace the scandal-afflicted VA with little penalty - exception being you use a very well known VA who is tied to the character in marketing material; who will effectively act as a "star" for the product. Once the VA is cut lose and recast, you have severed the connection to the scandal.

If you put in a NPC based on a real life person (and even have that person voice the NPC) … it's going to be much more troublesome to exorcise the NPC as you will have to completely replace it (and the voice behind it) and this will impact the storylines.

It doesn't help that "influencers" are very public figures, much more so than voice actors (most who we know next to nothing about; it can be hard to even find a picture of them), thus have a higher chance of being involved with a scandal. Youtubers, Twitch streamers, even esports players (e.g. Smash players recently) ... etc. are hit by scandals pretty often - most of them minor, tolerable but still not great; however if a big scandal hits ... it will be troublesome.

They won't need to be replaced (and it certainly isn't as easy as you imply anyway) because it doesn't matter

I thought we were past Mass Effect 3 days, but CDPR seemingly hasnt.

Keanu is a global treasure, but these e-celebs like Jesse Cox and Alanah Pierce...ugh.

I mean whats next, YongYea DLC side quest ?

You joke but I can easily see CDPR making "likeable" Youtubers companion characters for certain one off missions.

Top Bottom