Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think we can savely discard the immersion argument against 3rd person now. Nothing is more immersion breaking than encountering a bunch of e-celebs in your game.

I doubt I would be able to recognize any of those guys by looks/voice anyway, so for me they will be no different than every other voice actor.

Are they really ubiquitous enough that people on here who are not fans of theirs would be able to recognize them on sight?

I doubt I would be able to recognize any of those guys by looks/voice anyway, so for me they will be no different than every other voice actor.

Are they really ubiquitous enough that people on here who are not fans of theirs would be able to recognize them on sight?
This. I guess it's just a marketing thing to bring their fancommunities to the game. :rolleyes:

So apparently Jesse Cox, Cohcarnage and possibly others are going to be NPCs (likeness and all) in the game, some of them even having their own quests tied to them and I'm curious about what the community thinks about that.

Personally I hate it. Let me make it crystal clear that I have nothing against those people but I feel it's a bit immersion breaking bumping into these types of NPCs. For my personal taste the 3 farting trolls that referenced Angry Joe, Dodger and Jesse Cox was already pushing it a bit (along with the fact that gwent cards used conteporary personalities like Ciri but that's an entirely different discussion) but this feels.... jarring.

One might argue that they have Keanu in there as Silverhand but Keanu is a professional actor, when I watch Matrix I'm not thinking about him I'm thinking about Neo. I'm capable of detaching Keanu from Silverhand if that makes sense. When I bump into Jesse Cox I'm not going to think "oh, this guy's name is Steve (or whatever) and he has a job for me", I'm going to think "why am I running into Jesse Cox in my singleplayer videogame?".

To me the idea seems contradictory with the heavy emphasis on immersion in the other aspects of the game's design. So what gives?
It depends how these characters are behaving in the game.

I have seen Cohhcarnage stream so know what he looks like. The other streamers that I don't know, I probably won't notice at all.

Except
This is where I might have an issue with it, if these people have quests that are to please their fans rather than what suit the game. So if you have dumb quests like, "Im a Nighttube streamer and my stream is down. My fans are going nuts, can you help me fix it?" then im going to shoot and not ask questions later!!

If they just appear as random NPCs with lore friendly and serious content, then I don't have a huge issue with it. But if they don't, then I think there should be an option to remove them from the game.

But if gaming companies want to add them to games, they should be treated as hired actors (like they would anyone else) and not some fan gimmick or as a way to please the streamers or whatever the purpose of it is.

I think we can savely discard the immersion argument against 3rd person now. Nothing is more immersion breaking than encountering a bunch of e-celebs in your game.

Well that doesnt make any sense, so with your logic, movies arent immersive? Tom Cruise the action hero, next Tome Cruise the gir's wet day dream romance movie, Tom Cruise the Horror Monster , Tome Cruise the Political Badass, Tom Cruise the Great Viking etc.

I think it comes down to a fact, human beings doesnt like changes. If you bring something new, theres people who're immediately upset. I personally think this kind of stuff gives Cyberpunk series special feel and vibe, its bit more "flashy". I really hope they wont hold back, yeah, if you are gonna do it, do it widely.
Post automatically merged:

But if gaming companies want to add them to games, they should be treated as hired actors (like they would anyone else) and not some fan gimmick or as a way to please the streamers or whatever the purpose of it is.

They have already done so last 10 year or so. Didnt WoW had Chuck Norris back in the day? Like early 2k. If it works for them series and universe, why shouldnt they use them.

Last edited:
Voted no. I don't really like it. The thing with YT personalities is... you may just reaaaaally not like one (or more) of them. So them being in the game could certainly "ruin" a part of it for you. Especially with quests to have to interact with them. It'd be less bad if they were just on entertainment crap like random TV adverts or shows or something you could see. Though I guess some people might consider it a bonus since they could probably kill the personalities they don't like in the game lol. Or if they love them they might be excited to get to interact with them.

It's not a big deal for me, I can see both sides, but I don't like it.

i dislike many so called influencers and personalities, i don't like them in my my game. All those goofy choombas ruin my experience a little bit, Fortnite, MInecraft, and all other Twitch kids loves that though.
If you really desperate for those personalities put them in extreme easter eggs that is difficult to find or better put them in one of those shard documents. But making missions with them, no way...
You also can't guarantee that one of those streamers will do something bad like molest somebody or kill somebody, and be banned from twitch and youtube,
What CDPR gonna do ? delete their appearance ingame ? nope.

I personally hate seeing the streamers and youtubers in the game. It is pure cringe and only serves to inflate their already massive egos.

I tried killing all of them in game. Unfortunately they rarely let you.

Luckily I know almost none of them and since I'm playing in German, I wouldn't even recognize their voices anyway. lol

I personally hate seeing the streamers and youtubers in the game. It is pure cringe and only serves to inflate their already massive egos.

I tried killing all of them in game. Unfortunately they rarely let you.

I managed to kill that annoying cohh-something dude who was ruining Misty chit chat for me.

Need to wait when two Nomads show up near him, that's all I will say :)

Honestly i dont watch a lot of them so i have no idea what any of them look like in game lol. Only one i do know is Kojima

I hate the word influencer and I avoid them like cancer at all cost in RL. I don't want any of them in my game. Now if there would be a story in the game about exploring what influencers really are in society with made up characters, I'd be fine with that.
And I only watch a handful of youtubers, and I wouldn't consider them mainstream.

Edit: I don't know any of these names.

I saw Cohhcarnage character guess everyone did as you can't really miss him I think :)

But he did a decent job to be honest. The character animation were the biggest issues I think as it's a bit off. But as a character he was fine, didn't bother me.

I haven't noticed any after 100 hours in so I guess they are fairly well integrated. I was kind of worried about something as obv as:
cyberpunk_destiny-vaush-hasanabi.jpg

Yes I'm ok with it, but I don't follow any youtuber. Would probably be off-putting, if I did.

I don't mind so much having someone like Hideo Kojima in the game, he isn't part of the story or really interactable at all and he is a heavy influence on the gaming world and beyond so it is cool to honour the guy. Films have cameos like this all the time, Hitchcock put himself in his films all the time, Hunter S Thompson has a cameo in the film based upon his book. All cool.

However, having some chump with a YouTube channel having a role as themselves in the game is pretty crummy in my opinion. Why? Just because they're chummy with the company? It's fucking lame, it's like making a TV show filled with only in jokes that the writers get.

If someone from YouTube has a role in a game as a character that is fine, hell even if they're playing themselves in some memey self aware game that is lampooning or making a comment on internet culture, it ain't something I am interested in but that is fine, it's contextually relevent. Jesse Cox though, as himself? Stupid and pointless. I don't even like this guy's content though even if I did it would still be jarring.

Also on that note I hate the fact that Grimes is a character in this game. Don't like her music, don't like her as a person and she can't voice act for shit.

Top Bottom