Thoughts on influencers/youtubers being NPCs in the game

+

Are you OK with having youtubers in the game as NPCs and having quests tied to them?

• Yes.

• No.

• Should be smaller easter egg like the farting trolls in Witcher 3.

• Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I never watch twitch, and the only youtube people I would ever recognize will probably never be in a video game. So while I'm against it on principle, I personally wouldn't notice.

I don't mind so much having someone like Hideo Kojima in the game, he isn't part of the story or really interactable at all and he is a heavy influence on the gaming world and beyond so it is cool to honour the guy. Films have cameos like this all the time, Hitchcock put himself in his films all the time, Hunter S Thompson has a cameo in the film based upon his book. All cool.

However, having some chump with a YouTube channel having a role as themselves in the game is pretty crummy in my opinion. Why? Just because they're chummy with the company? It's fucking lame, it's like making a TV show filled with only in jokes that the writers get.

If someone from YouTube has a role in a game as a character that is fine, hell even if they're playing themselves in some memey self aware game that is lampooning or making a comment on internet culture, it ain't something I am interested in but that is fine, it's contextually relevent. Jesse Cox though, as himself? Stupid and pointless. I don't even like this guy's content though even if I did it would still be jarring.

Also on that note I hate the fact that Grimes is a character in this game. Don't like her music, don't like her as a person and she can't voice act for shit.
Hideo kojima is awesome! Is the other influencers that need to dissappear. I frankly also hate that they had Grimes appear as well. Frankly if the celebrity is not an ACTOR doing a role, or a youtuber that is a gamer Pewdiepie, Mxr, ACG. Then the rest can just go away.

This guy gives me all the vibes of being a cameo, but I have no idea who he might be. Any ideas? He is the junk merchant on the rooftops of Kabuki, near the boxing twins.

cameoqm.jpg

Also on that note I hate the fact that Grimes is a character in this game. Don't like her music, don't like her as a person and she can't voice act for shit.
Guess I'm glad I haven't bought the game. Probably never will now.

This is the risk you take when you include real life people in your games/movies. If I don't like the person, it's will be a knock against your game if you include them.

Guest 4406876

Among all the problem we have, people really care about this topic?

K
I'm afraid they cared before release. And this is why it should be noticed as a meter of what people really expected as problems in the game before release.

Take it as a meter of "before" and "now" in terms of expectations (even those directly and officially hyped) not met.

Honestly all the cameos Ive encountered so far haven't been in any way bad. They have fit into the world just fine. (Their acting is on par with Keanu honestly...)

Also: Ive tried to find Lizzy Wizzy but I have no idea where she might be...

Actors, Musicians, Singers, Artists - don't mind having those in the game at all.

Influencers, YouTubers, Streamers, Activists, Political Figures, Instagram Models - no thanks. For me personally that's a good reason not to buy a game. One of the best things about playing games is getting away from all that. Please keep it so.

On principal; I don't think it's a good idea. In reality, I don't watch any of that silly **** on YT, antisocial media, or anywhere else; so there is no way I'd recognize any of those people in game.

WILEY!! You just killed Joe Schmuckatelli!!!

Wiley: Who?!

Joe Schmuckatelli----he's a big deal game/gaming influencer on FB!

Wiley: Was..........................not is. ;)

It isn't an easter egg when you can't even know who that guy/girl was in the 1st place, right? Maybe millenial kids spend all day watching youtube/twitch crap, I don't...

Influencers, YouTubers, Streamers, Instagram Models - no thanks. For me personally that's a good reason not to buy a game. One of the best things about playing games is getting away from all that. Please keep it so.

But social media figures are in-universe just as well. Even more so in a Cyberpunk world.
Lizzy Wizzy - star.jpg

person - Ziggy Q.jpg

Person - Ruth Dzenq.jpg

Top Bottom