Thoughts on the New Meta/Cards/Mechanics and Rewards

+
Thoughts on the New Meta/Cards/Mechanics and Rewards

While watching the Dev Stream for OBT i thought, "This is just probably the sexiest game i have ever seen (CCG wise)".

Things i find important:

-The tremendous amount and variety of keywords. First off, give yourselves time, we eventually get used of everything. The keyword is patience and practice. This staggering amount of keywords is what the game needed...boring, to not be boring. One aspect for diminishing predictability is having multiple mechanics and a keyword is exactly that.

-CBT rewards. Here the thing i like is the fact that ALL starter Decks will have 4 Golds and 6 Silvers. That's as close a CCG can get to "starting on equal ground". Bravo! On top of that all Leaders are given via Challenges for free. That also means that you can explore archetypes from the get go. Brilliant!

-Card symmetry (mentioned by Noxious). Cahir enables Leader ability again, but also gives a bronze to opponent. Tibor gives great power value, gives a bronze to enemy. ofc. you can say these are more efficient used in a particular archetype and while it is true, it is not always the case. Here lies one of my worries. Cards like Xarthisius, now Treason too, mess with the opponents deck without him/her having a say or a counter. As mentioned, there's no symmetry here. These should completely removed as it happened with Faction passives imo.

- PvE is a huge audience Devs underestimate completely. I play PvE in PvP based games, from Smite to Paragon, to Atlas Reactor to even games like World of Warships. I should say, i play Co-Op, i like playing with others and not against them. I think PvE can have far more depth to excite players in an endless amount of ways. I hope here, for a variety of options in PvE or Co-Op game modes. We already have some info on Campaigns and i know they'll be exceptional, if not anything else the Art department has proven incredible to say the least. Like HS has proven, PvE in CCG's is flourishing and has an audience.

-Lastly, they actually missed to make the UI more streamlined, easier and more efficient. Example, Collection and deck Builder should be one. When i am in the Deck Builder i should be able to see and craft all and any card.

GL to all, cy at the OBT start. ;)

I agree, a very solid looking patch. Still have a long way to go though. The loading screens between every menu need to go. They were not there before; why add something that delays screen transitions.

IAxiiYourMother;n8550760 said:
I agree, a very solid looking patch. Still have a long way to go though. The loading screens between every menu need to go. They were not there before; why add something that delays screen transitions.

Yes, UI needs to be more streamline and efficient. ofc. i wouldn't put as a top priority atm., but it should be close up there after the OBT starts.

PinkFloyd76;n8550690 said:
-Card symmetry (mentioned by Noxious). Cahir enables Leader ability again, but also gives a bronze to opponent. Tibor gives great power value, gives a bronze to enemy. ofc. you can say these are more efficient used in a particular archetype and while it is true, it is not always the case. Here lies one of my worries. Cards like Xarthisius, now Treason too, mess with the opponents deck without him/her having a say or a counter. As mentioned, there's no symmetry here. These should completely removed as it happened with Faction passives imo.

I agree with this completely and I think the example you mention with Xarthisius and Treason is particularly pertinent. If Steffan Skellen remains unchanged, that combo should be very, very, very easy to pull off with the new John Calveit + Cahir and the new mulligan system. It has zero counterplay and it can potentially really wreck an opponent; you not only deny an important Gold Card potentially, you also get to play it at the exact opportune moment you want to.

The same goes for the new Donar An Hindar in Skellige; the card is so strong that it is most likely an auto-include into any Skellige deck, providing a potentially very powerful draw and giving you a potentially powerful ress target.

I am personally very interested in knowing if they changed Ciri. With Card Advantage being reined in (a wise move, even though the seeming symmetry in spies and CA accessories will just nullify each other completely now), I imagine cards like Ocvist and Ciri, if the latter is unchanged, will be extremely prominent (not sure that is a wise move as it limits the variety that we would very much like). While the last card might become less important with these changes (a very wise move), it is not desirable if it is at the expense of variety due to the few CA tools available becoming almost mandatory.

Top Bottom