Three Years After Wild Hunt?

+
Three Years After Wild Hunt?

According to Wikipedia, Blood and Wine takes place three years after the events of the base game:

Set three years after the events of the base game, Geralt is offered a contract by Duchess Anna Henrietta,[...]

This seems news to me. Can anyone confirm this? Where was it said that it is set three years post-game?

It is in the scribe's (the guy you need to talk to to enter the tourney yourself) notes about the knights' tourney:
Another bit of information that suggests that the events of Blood and Wine take place at least a year after the main story, maybe even two years if we assume there is no wine from the 1273 vintage in the summer of 1273 yet:
Of course, since the empress epilogue is in the winter of 1272/1273, and the expansion is later than the epilogue, that also implies 1273 at the earliest.

On the other hand, this looks really strange, suggesting that not all information in the game may be reliable:

Attachments

• 292030_20160618_01.jpg
    292030_20160618_01.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
The dates are *** up, you know. Some chronicle claims that petite Anna and Sylvia with their parents visited Queen Calanthe's court in 1268 :p

The dates are *** up, you know. Some chronicle claims that petite Anna and Sylvia with their parents visited Queen Calanthe's court in 1268 :p

The Polish version of the above shown scribe's notes also says that Rainfarn of Attre won the tourney in 1290 (that year again, is it a coincidence, or a change to the story during development ?) instead of 1269 as in the English version. I think the Polish one is the original, in that case they fixed the error during translation to English. But the 1275 still stayed, so is that an oversight, or is it indeed the correct year ?

The dates are *** up, you know. Some chronicle claims that petite Anna and Sylvia with their parents visited Queen Calanthe's court in 1268

It would make some sense if the expansion's events really took place around 1290 as a distant epilogue to Geralt's story, even if it is a retcon to the books. That way, the age of the sisters would be about right for what they look like in Blood and Wine. Although Ciri and Dandelion would have to be about 40 and 60 years old, but maybe they were not intended to appear originally.

The Shadow knows.

And the developers, if they are reading this. Although they may only tell that Blood and Wine is soon after Wild Hunt. :)

By the way, to add some more to the confusion, there is also this line by another wine servant in the palace gardens:
Beauclair Palace Servant Man 03: A thoroughbred Cabernet from the legendary 1288 vintage. You must try it.
I could not find this guy in the game, however. Maybe he is there somewhere, or the line was cut. Also, there is a book about basilisk hunts that references another from 1278, but I did not find that yet either.

Last edited:
Can't we get some clues from our conversations with companion npcs? I haven't seen Dandelion, Ciri, or Yennefer in the epilogue, but I know that if you meet Triss and Geralt asks how things are going in Kovir, she gives the impression that the mages have only been settled down for about a year or so, maybe a little more. Triss is also clearly restless and impatient for Geralt to get his things together and leave Toussaint for the north, implying that shortly after defeating the Wild Hunt, Geralt was presented with Anna Henrietta's contract and hasn't yet seen Kovir.

Playing Blood and Wine during the events of Wild Hunt just doesn't make sense. They shouldn't have even included that as an option. Just set it post-main campaign and have Ciri and/or Dandelion join Geralt and his love interest at Corvo Bianco.

Last edited:
Playing Blood and Wine during the events of Wild Hunt just doesn't make sense. They shouldn't have even included that as an option. Just set it post-main campaign and have Ciri and/or Dandelion join Geralt and his love interest at Corvo Bianco.
I agree. Unlike Hearts of Stone (which might as well happen alongside the events of Wild Hunt), Blood and Wine is very obviously meant for post-game. A lot of things don't make much sense otherwise.

Can't we get some clues from our conversations with companion npcs? I haven't seen Dandelion, Ciri, or Yennefer in the epilogue, but I know that if you meet Triss and Geralt asks how things are going in Kovir, she gives the impression that the mages have only been settled down for about a year or so, maybe a little more. Triss is also clearly restless and impatient for Geralt to get his things together and leave Toussaint for the north, implying that shortly after defeating the Wild Hunt, Geralt was presented with Anna Henrietta's contract and hasn't yet seen Kovir.

Yes, I would have thought it is in the summer of 1273 myself, that seemed to make the most sense considering all the conversations in the epilogues. Also, the majority of dates I found in BaW (in letters etc.) are in 1271 or before, there are just a few odd ones years or even decades into the future. Although I think those around 1290 can be ignored, they may be just errors or left over from an early stage of development when a story that far in the future might have been planned. It would be best to ask the developers, or perhaps report these as possible "bugs".

Assuming that BaW is indeed in 1275, one can also imagine that Geralt already spent some time in Kovir, so after the epilogue he actually returns to Pont Vanis, rather than going there for the first time.

Yes, I would have thought it is in the summer of 1273 myself, that seemed to make the most sense considering all the conversations in the epilogues. Also, the majority of dates I found in BaW (in letters etc.) are in 1271 or before, there are just a few odd ones years or even decades into the future. Although I think those around 1290 can be ignored, they may be just errors or left over from an early stage of development when a story that far in the future might have been planned. It would be best to ask the developers, or perhaps report these as possible "bugs".

Assuming that BaW is indeed in 1275, one can also imagine that Geralt already spent some time in Kovir, so after the epilogue he actually returns to Pont Vanis, rather than going there for the first time.

So after all we can say that Blood and Wine is kinda....The Witcher 4? or well it is the end of the Geralt Saga! but it is also a continuation of The whole Witcher story!

So after all we can say that Blood and Wine is kinda....The Witcher 4? or well it is the end of the Geralt Saga! but it is also a continuation of The whole Witcher story!
A little bit but not really. I mean you can play BaW after the rescue of Dandelion... So definitely before you finsih the main game... The years/dates in some journal and codex entries contradict themselfes for a lot of times. And that you can recognize in the maingame itself too... ;)

A little bit but not really. I mean you can play BaW after the rescue of Dandelion... So definitely before you finsih the main game... The years/dates in some journal and codex entries contradict themselfes for a lot of times. And that you can recognize in the maingame itself too... ;)

Ah yeah sure haha! But still, it is from a logical point of view the real epilogue of the Witcher 3.

Ah yeah sure haha! But still, it is from a logical point of view the real epilogue of the Witcher 3.

Okay, if you concentrate exclusively on the epilogue, then you are right, and BaW is definitely later than the main game... But I think, it's complicated because in a game like TW3 with a lot of possibilities to play your personal walkthrough, there will be no clear answer... ;)

Okay, if you concentrate exclusively on the epilogue, then you are right, and BaW is definitely later than the main game... But I think, it's complicated because in a game like TW3 with a lot of possibilities to play your personal walkthrough, there will be no clear answer... ;)

That's indeed true! ;)

But for me personally it is just good to know that Geralt lives a peaceful live at Corvo Bianco...and that someone is visiting him sooner or later ^^

But for me personally it is just good to know that Geralt lives a peaceful live at Corvo Bianco...and that someone is visiting him sooner or later ^^

I think we know who that somebody is :) Corvo Bianco itself is a reference to her and geralt :>

Also i find it hard to believe BaW is 3 years after Wild Hunt. What on earth has Geralt been doing for 3 years? He had no intention of going out on the path anymore... so? Training Ciri for the past 3 years or some shit?

in all endings Geralt is retired, in only one ending he is still a witcher
so, for only that ending makes sense for him to take the conrtact after the three years- if that information about the three years is correct, which i find very hard to believe, it makes more sense that he accepts the contract in Toussaint right after the events of Wild Hunt

Even if he's retired, he can still get bored, and that notice he read may have intrigued him. It also makes more sense that he's prepared to start renovating Corvo Bianco if he's now settled down.

I have a bigger problem with the fact that three years later, Velen is still a No Man's Land, and the Toussaint Knights need to rescue the villagers from bandits just a few miles from Oxenfurt.

And that Geralt apparently hasn't changed his clothes in the last three years.

Incidentally, as people have mentioned his love interest, who does the letter for Turn and Face the Strange come from if you didn't romance anyone in the main game?

I think we know who that somebody is :) Corvo Bianco itself is a reference to her and geralt :>

Also i find it hard to believe BaW is 3 years after Wild Hunt. What on earth has Geralt been doing for 3 years? He had no intention of going out on the path anymore... so? Training Ciri for the past 3 years or some shit?
Yep,training Ciri I reckon!

Top Bottom