Thronebreaked dificulty

+
Just finished TB on hardest difficulty. Left with 71k gold 19k wood and 800 recruits. Built everything in camp.

Early stages of the game seamed fine for the start and later on instead of game becoming increasingly harder it became very easy, Every battle I ended with 70+ points lead with couple of cards in hand and could just pass without worrying about AI overtaking. I spent almost no time in deck builder and was able to achieve this with just throwing in new cards I got. In majority of late game battles I didn't even bother to read enemy cards abilities since it didn't matter at all.

Because of this I could not care about any of the decisions I made since losing resources or even main characters cards didn't made any impact. Army morale likewise had no noticeable effect on gameplay and you can always forgo resource in exchange for morale boost. What worse you can go always with negative morale and it would not matter since the game provides reliable ways of playing 5+ cards per turn or ways to setups for 10+ cards per turn later on.

Overall it felt like the gameplay was rushed to mach Homecoming changes and that it wasn't tested at all. Not sure how else I can explain some stuff like wining some story/puzzle battles by playing only 2 cards.

If this wasnt game from witcher universe with great story and side characters from books that I really enjoyed I would probably drop the game halfway through based on the gameplay.

New difficulty was announced but in odder for me to go and do another play-through to check out what would happen if I made different choices you need to raise difficulty by couple of levels. And not just tweaking the numbers but improving some puzzles and AI as well since its pretty bad.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
With Isbel: Healer I finished one game at nearly 400 points, and the opponent had one card left. She's way OP.

Never got the achievement for it either.

This thread just killed most of my interest in this game. The devs just aren't learning from their previous mistakes. I don't get it.

This thread just killed most of my interest in this game. The devs just aren't learning from their previous mistakes. I don't get it.

They are patching in higher difficulty levels in December which should make it more challenging. Despite the few negative points here, it really is a great game.

The puzzle card games are a highlight. The mass grave puzzle was a complete son of a <redacted>, but I jumped out my seat when I finally solved it. Plus, the story and dialogue is exceptional.

The mass grave puzzle was a complete son of a <redacted

Because it was not intuitive; more like an "aha moment", so that's how it works. It's basically just a repeating sequence of playing two cards. The puzzles are varied, but not all of them are thought out well. Maybe I am missing something, but when I complete a puzzle with half my cards remaining, it makes me feel the devs didn't think of the alternative solution.

They are patching in higher difficulty levels in December which should make it more challenging. Despite the few negative points here, it really is a great game.

The puzzle card games are a highlight. The mass grave puzzle was a complete son of a <redacted>, but I jumped out my seat when I finally solved it. Plus, the story and dialogue is exceptional.

Can you link me to what they have said about adding difficulties?

Here you go.

Capture.PNG

Dont give up on it completely, just wait for them to try and fix difficulty. i never meant for this to discourage people from playing the game rather for devs to get gameplay on the same level as story witch is definitely worth checking out if you loved witcher games and books.
Post automatically merged:

Because it was not intuitive; more like an "aha moment", so that's how it works. It's basically just a repeating sequence of playing two cards. The puzzles are varied, but not all of them are thought out well. Maybe I am missing something, but when I complete a puzzle with half my cards remaining, it makes me feel the devs didn't think of the alternative solution.

You are not missing anything, they just didn't have time to check for alternative solutions. Story was being polished all this time but puzzles had to be scraped and redone in a short amount of time because of HC.

Last edited:
Agreed. TB is definitely worth it despite the difficulty issue. I am only waiting for the patch that addresses it in order to do the much coveted second playthrough ;)

Some OP cards:

-Isbel of Hagge - definitely bugged. Reached insane values that cannot possibly be the actual damage dealt, received or both at the stage of the battle that she has the value.

-Gabor + and Gabor ++ - round winner on his own. The latter has the ability to play up to 7 cards with minimal setup and without even using Aretuza adepts (card chain: Gabor into 1) Reinforcements 2) Royal Decree 3) Lyrian Horn). Combined with Black Rayla/Meve: Warhammer and Regiment Drummers + you can be assured you'll have access to him as well. It is my understanding that trinkets have a far greater chance of being in your opening hand than other cards, I'd say almost 100%, which lets you freely mulligan away 3 of them and use the other mulligans to keep only one copy of a card in your hand.

-Black Rayla. Nuff said ;)

- Xavier Lemmens, especially when used in conjunction with Black Rayla/Reynard Odo

- Reynard Odo, and even worse, Reynard +. This is already too powerful in the early game and it gets worse as you upgrade your units and progress into the late game, because more units gain order.

- Count Caldwell is also too powerful for the early game but tolerable

On the contrary, Gascon and Eyck require proper setup/deckbuilding to reach good values, like 40 + They are not well balanced but I'd say, compared to the aforementioned cards, they are definitely lower on the priority list.

Arnjolf I never used, for the simple reason he seemed too weak compared to all my other golds. Same as Barnabas Beckenbauer. They also lack the + upgrades.

- Pretty much ALL bronzes and their + upgrades need a change in their point values. Preferably a notable one. For example, later in the game you encounter Ancient Foglets, which are STR 6 and spawn Fog on one of your rows. Fog does 2 damage to the highest unit every turn. Bomb Heavers +, which is the closest equivalent in your army outclass these by quite a margin (STR 10 - Apply fire to the row, which has 66% chance of damaging all units on the row by 2. It doesn't work exactly like that, the fire damage is pretty random, but it still hits more than one unit, more often than not, on average dealing a lot more damage than 2 per turn). Even simple Bomb Heavers are better, because they are at 8 STR and their damage is still slightly better than 2 per turn.

Worst offenders:

Regiment Drummers/+
Strays Slingers/+
Bomb Heavers +
Grey Riders/+

Last edited:
The latter has the ability to play up to 7 cards with minimal setup

I could play my whole deck from just one card. The problem is the board cannot support my whole deck because of the row limit. A real shame because I definitely wanted to see how far I could push it.

I could play my whole deck from just one card. The problem is the board cannot support my whole deck because of the row limit. A real shame because I definitely wanted to see how far I could push it.

Agreed, only reason I lost some rounds on standard battles was that. I always ran out of space, especially because I used Regiment Drummers. That's why Gabor has to be in the first 3 cards you play, he's good for winning round 1. And for the second round you need to win, well, you've probably still got Gascon, Reynard, maybe Rayla and Lemmens along with some good order units :p

I felt drummers were just too OP in general and it would have been more fun of a game if you were forced to play a new niche each act.

I complained a lot about one of the early Gwent puzzle events that was far too easy and it's too bad that they didn't take the feedback from that event to heart. I'm very sad that Thronebreaker has the same type of issues with difficulty and overall gameplay.

I'm on my second playthrough, this time on Battle-Hardened (wasn't brave enough to go for updated Bonebreaker), and it's certainly a lot less easy than Bonebreaker was before the difficulty update. I can't steamroll opponents anymore, not in every battle. I think it's just 2 armour on some units that used to have none -- I never really paid attention to strength values during my first playthrough, so don't know if those have changed -- but it makes a big difference.

I constantly find myself optimizing my use of Meve's ability, to get the maximum value from Loyal abilities -- something that I almost never did last time.

I don't think I want to know what Bonebreaker is like now. :p

You should definitely try bonebreaker. Most likely it’s not that much different.

I think the beginning feels more challenging in the current version, but the moment you have decent cards during chapter 2, it‘s kind of like before the patch, just with less extreme wins. And I even avoided Eyck when I played it again. The only time I significantly had to adjust my deck was for the final battle (I had to built a pirate deck to win here). The additional armor really makes a difference here on the highest difficulty.

Top Bottom