Thronebreaker could use a 3rd row

+
As you progress in the game and gather army, 2 rows in the board is very limited space.
Your provisions get up to 300 but they are useless because you can't fit that much units into the board.

In more than half of my games i get forced to discard my cards because the board is full.

Once i used the artifact that spawn all copies from your deck, and then played it again from graveyard with another card. And that was it. My board was full and i had 7 cards in hand.

I wish we had an extra row, like a siege row. It would fit more units in thronebreaker and also increase the feeling of the war that's going on.

While it‘s true that you can easily run out of space in Thronebreaker, we won‘t get a third row. Going back to three rows would be a too big deal, affecting gameplay and visuals.

Anyhow, if you run out of space you can always adjust your deck to make running out of space less likely. Then again, even if you run out of space in TB you usually put so many points on the board, it‘s enough to win any match.

It might be more effective to tweak certain abilities a bit.

While it‘s true that you can easily run out of space in Thronebreaker, we won‘t get a third row. Going back to three rows would be a too big deal, affecting gameplay and visuals.

Well this unfun version of the game was pretty big a deal too, affecting way more than gameplay and visuals.

That is not the reason why we won't get three rows back. It's because 2 rows is the very foundation of Homecoming, and also the reason why a lot of things suck in this version. The whole game was designed around the concept of having two rows, because at some point in beta some marketing people at CDPR thought "hmm let's revolutionize Gwent, bring it into the mainstream and in line with other CCGs on the market, let's make it friendly for mobile platforms, and let's make it a resounding success". Nothing terribly wrong with that, mind you.

However, it was a mistake to cut out the 3d row and I'm sure that there are people at CDPR who are aware of it, but by the time it clicked it was too late in development and HC in its current state had to be released. Human nature being what it is, we are sometimes so in love with great ideas that we only realize too late that they are - in fact - sh*t.

I'm sure CDPR listens to fans, and even if they don't, they will listen to numbers. I am still hoping the current marketing plan for Gwent, including this 2 row garbage, will be thrown in the bin by the devs, and that we will go back to making this a game people will want to play.

If you turn this into a generic "bring back three rows", the thread will get merged or closed.

I think I did run out of space once or twice during Thronebreaker, and sometimes the opponent saved me by killing a unit or two. I chalked it up as poor management on my side, though -- I knew the limits but chose to play too long rounds in spite of that. Either playing a longer round 2 (for a 2-1), or playing all three rounds instead of going for a 2-0 would have prevented the issue in my case.

If you turn this into a generic "bring back three rows", the thread will get merged or closed.

I think I did run out of space once or twice during Thronebreaker, and sometimes the opponent saved me by killing a unit or two. I chalked it up as poor management on my side, though -- I knew the limits but chose to play too long rounds in spite of that. Either playing a longer round 2 (for a 2-1), or playing all three rounds instead of going for a 2-0 would have prevented the issue in my case.

First, most battles are shortened battles, which means one long round. And second, on 3 turn matches, if you have a point difference of 20+, the pc always passes first round with 7 cards in card.

Also most cards in thronebreaker clog the board.
- the card that summons all it's copies from the deck
- the artifact that summon a card's all copies from the deck
- Rayla, Xavier, Raynard combo
- drummer cards that draw up to 2 cards. If 1 of the cards it drew was wagon which spawns another 3 cards then you have : Drimmer + 2nd card + wagon + 3 spawns = 6 board slots with 1 card played.

And there are more cards that i can't remember atm.

Saying not to play strong cards or do card management not for the purpose of winning the match, but for board management is terrible game design.

First, most battles are shortened battles, which means one long round.
True, but I've never run into space issues in those. Only in standard battles.

If you build a deck that constantly runs headfirst into the row limits in one-round battles, then that is poor deck design. You know the rules of the battle, so of course you need to adapt to them when choosing cards.
Shortened battle, so 10 cards max played from hand; if you still manage to constantly run out of space even with Meve's high mulligan count, then you definitely have too many summon/spawn/play from deck cards.

I remember I cut out all of the Drummers and the War Wagons along the way. The Wagons were not worth the space they took up on the battlefield, and the Drummers playing cards was also too much. I found much more useful replacements that didn't spawn or summon, and never had space issues after those changes.

And as that is all there is to it, in my opinion, I won't comment on it any further.

the game is pretty super easy and it's definitely super easy to run out of space on the deck and that's why you can run those guys that eat two companions. The wagons can be fun to use in conjunction w/ some riders and the knight that gives charges back for tons of movement like in that one puzzle but needless to say basically any strat you run should be able to crush the entire game. Halfway through I did refocus my deck into just killing them instead of wracking up the points to the max because I was wasting too much time in won games.

Personally, I've frequently run out of space, especially in some of the later battles, and in the final battle with aep Dahy.

Top Bottom