Thronebreaker is amazing -- please make more "Witcher Tales"

+
The music, the atmosphere, the story. Truly incredible, and if this is the only way we'll get more Witcher games then I'm fine with that. I have to say, this is far more than I expected from a Gwent single-player experience. Amazing environments, dialogue, well written characters, even the aftermath of battles, seeing the bodies puts into perspective what's actually going on

The RPG elements are nice, but I like how they're able to let loose with the cards and not worry about "balance"... allowing for some great combos. Armour and loyalty mechanics are good ones, and could be used for future card sets (I'm assuming they won't abandon this). The armour particularly is a good mechanic since it makes Gwent feel like Witcher 3 Gwent again -- large armies hitting the battlefield... where things don't just instantly get removed. Your opponent plays something scary? No worries, you have something worse lined up -- definitely something to consider.

The captive in the intro alluded to Queen of Zerrikania (also a mage), offers tantalizing prospects of more untold stories. Ofier, Zerrikania, Nilfgaard, do it!

I read stories articles about TB not selling well upon initial release, but hopefully they'll consider making more: grow the playerbase with mobile (and I'm sure the Witcher show will help bandwagoners find their ways over to the games and eventually Gwent), and surely there will be better outcomes. I personally will pick up the next one on release should CDPR choose to make another (I wasn't playing Gwent at the time of TB release, so didn't consider it much). I don't what it is about this universe, but I've always underestimated how good the games would be, and had my expectations blown away (except with W3, since I bought it at full price after finishing W2 that I picked up on $5 steam sale not thinking it was going to be anything good).

After being sorely let down by Blizzard over the last years (I think it's safe to say Blizzard will never return to what they used to be -- Warcraft 3 Remastered may be my last purchase with them) I'm happy to see companies like CDPR taking the torch.

For what it's worth, this game is phenomenal, and I'll be spreading to friends to get this, even if they don't play Gwent multiplayer. Like I said before, I'd love to see more, even if they did one from the perspective of an antagonist (perhaps the misdeeds of the infamous Letho), or a story from the perspective of sorceresses (Yen preferrably :ok: )

The story telling aspects were good. The gameplay I was really disappointed with. IMO the game just wasn't ready for release.

With the end of my exams I was browsing the store and I noticed Thronebreaker in the sale for 13 euro's. I knew the game but at it's release I really wasn't interested, I never got into Gwent during The Witcher 3, I really didn't like it. I was also checking out the iOS release of Gwent and with that I made the jump and bought Thronebreaker...

I'm a longtime HS player and am used to it's mechanics but wauw... Gwent really is a breath of fresh air for me. I just finished Thronebreaker and I loved every second of it. I was surprised with how good the story is and how they put everything together. I really hope the Reds are going to make a second one, I'll buy it immediately!

I'm really ashamed that I bought this game in a sale... so to compensate I bought myself the Prosperity pack for Gwent! (Hope the developers are reading this ;) )
Thank you CDPR, I love you guys!

I think Gwent can definitely benefit from more single-player oriented stuff. Whether that's Thronebreaker style or something else. If Hearthstone didn't have the occasional single-player campaigns, I'd have the quitted the game way earlier.

I've been thinking of playing Thronebreaker for a while. Is it canon to the games/books at all?

More interested in the story than the gameplay. I know about the gameplay (from previews).

Last edited:
I've been thinking of playing Thronebreaker for a while. Is it canon to the games/books at all?

More interested I'm the story then the gameplay. I know about the gameplay (from previews).

I heavily suggest you play Thronebreaker: it fits into both the games and books very well.

I played it right after I finished reading Baptism of Fire (or maybe it was The Tower of the Swallow? Whichever book in which Meve meets Geralt), and it was a lot of fun to see how Queen Meve got to where she was, and how certain rumors started. The characters are memorable, the story captivating, and gameplay a lot of fun.

After reading Time of Contempt, honestly my favorite part was the very short story of the group of Aedernian special forces and mercenaries making their final stance against the scoia tel at the mountain pass. It was only around 4 pages long but it's so well written that you are immediately invested in these characters and how they're relationships have developed through the beginning of this war.

I would love to see this expanded in a game built around this group of characters and their part in the war in lead up to their final battle. It would be a great story, perfect fit for the Witcher Tales.

I found an old post I made long ago,

"While there is stuff I like about the game such as the story telling I can't help but feel disappointed with it overall. My biggest complaint so far is that the battles stutter like crazy to where I had to turn the premiums off. This is all the more surprising to me considering I waited to play thronebreaker and it's been patched a few times now. Even after that I can't even play with the premiums on AND some of the battles STILL stutter like crazy and makes the game agony while it's doing it.

My next biggest complaint is how as a veteran Gwent player I wanted thronebreaker to have a difficulty that was challenging for me because that's how I like my puzzles and my card battles. So far I have found the puzzles to be not very interesting or challenging and the actual battles with the cards I choose to be too easy and again not that interesting. I expected after they added the bonebreaker difficulty for the game to be what I was looking for and this overall is not the case.

It feels like the battles were developed to just have each side have insane abilities as unbalanced as possible and they expected players to just love that. To me it just feels a bit lazy. If you know how to recognize and use the OP cards the battles are ridiculously easy. The game just needed more balance than it has and the hardest difficulty needed to be actually hard. I doubt I would buy another single player thronebreaker style game. Definitely not for what I paid for it. This is just my personal opinion. I know plenty of other players loved it for what it is. I do like the graphics of the map and the story telling was very good. I haven't actually completed the game yet but Idon't see my opinion changing by much.

Edit: I have completed the game and I dislike it even more now."

Also I was really looking forward to the puzzles in thronebreaker because CDPR had released some special event puzzles in the past that were amazing. The thronebreaker puzzles range from awful to mediocre. One fun "puzzle" that sticks out to me was literally a kids game of matching cards. Ridiculous.

I loved the Witcher Tales. However, I heard the for CDPR this was not a profitable project so judging by the recent focus in their development I can't imagine they will do the next Tales anytime soon.

I liked TB, however, it wasn't without its faults. Other than the very last battle, all of the standard battles were definitely too easy, even on the hardest difficulty setting. This was mainly because of some questionably OP cards like Bomb Heaver. The puzzles were definitely better than the full on battles because of this.

I'd certainly like to see more stories in the SP setting with the continued links to premium cards in MP Gwent being a very nice draw.

Agreed, never thought I'd enjoy a card game, but truly enjoying this one. Having some difficulty though...it sometimes seems like I'm often receiving attacks that can't be attributed to any enemy card, or to the enemy's special ability, but apparently have to post ten times in order to ask about that, so here's one. Its the elves, by the way...those guys are rough.

Does it matter where I buy Thronebreaker or will I always be able to get those cards for Gwent and complete the quests?

Does it matter where I buy Thronebreaker or will I always be able to get those cards for Gwent and complete the quests?

If you buy it on Steam, you need to play the Steam version of Gwent, in order to claim the rewards. Same applies to GOG TB and GOG Gwent.

The music, the atmosphere, the story. Truly incredible, and if this is the only way we'll get more Witcher games then I'm fine with that. I have to say, this is far more than I expected from a Gwent single-player experience. Amazing environments, dialogue, well written characters, even the aftermath of battles, seeing the bodies puts into perspective what's actually going on

The RPG elements are nice, but I like how they're able to let loose with the cards and not worry about "balance"... allowing for some great combos. Armour and loyalty mechanics are good ones, and could be used for future card sets (I'm assuming they won't abandon this). The armour particularly is a good mechanic since it makes Gwent feel like Witcher 3 Gwent again -- large armies hitting the battlefield... where things don't just instantly get removed. Your opponent plays something scary? No worries, you have something worse lined up -- definitely something to consider.

The captive in the intro alluded to Queen of Zerrikania (also a mage), offers tantalizing prospects of more untold stories. Ofier, Zerrikania, Nilfgaard, do it!

I read stories articles about TB not selling well upon initial release, but hopefully they'll consider making more: grow the playerbase with mobile (and I'm sure the Witcher show will help bandwagoners find their ways over to the games and eventually Gwent), and surely there will be better outcomes. I personally will pick up the next one on release should CDPR choose to make another (I wasn't playing Gwent at the time of TB release, so didn't consider it much). I don't what it is about this universe, but I've always underestimated how good the games would be, and had my expectations blown away (except with W3, since I bought it at full price after finishing W2 that I picked up on $5 steam sale not thinking it was going to be anything good).

After being sorely let down by Blizzard over the last years (I think it's safe to say Blizzard will never return to what they used to be -- Warcraft 3 Remastered may be my last purchase with them) I'm happy to see companies like CDPR taking the torch.

For what it's worth, this game is phenomenal, and I'll be spreading to friends to get this, even if they don't play Gwent multiplayer. Like I said before, I'd love to see more, even if they did one from the perspective of an antagonist (perhaps the misdeeds of the infamous Letho), or a story from the perspective of sorceresses (Yen preferrably :ok: )
I agree 100% with all my hearth

Top Bottom