Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is now available for pre-order!

+
Damn, just yesterday I remembered about Gwent and heard about the homecoming update and today great news about the story expansion!
Can't wait for october.

If I remember correctly, there should be two more story expansions? I know it's probably too soon to say, but do you have some estimated date for their releases? Like summer or fall next year?
TB is a full fledged rpg now, it uses the gameplay of gwent but it's not his adventure. You can play TB without having Gwent installed.

As for future stories, well for now nothing is confirmed, things changed a lot since 1 year ago when they made those plans.

I'm realy sorry to say this, but Thronebreaker looks mediocre. The cut scene is boring and realy cheap and poorly animated, the uninspired gameplay on the map seems were you're supposed to follow a path is not promising (please, tell me you're not supposed to follow a brick path the entire game). It's looks like a bad mobile game. This will not bring any new players to the game. Only fanboys (like me), will buy it.

The game play footage looks like a tutorial or designed as an introduction to the game mechanics. I wouldn't read too much into it just yet. Presumably as you progress further more options open up.

Review and opinion: How disappointing. As an artist myself conditioned by the awesome, simply wild improvements over the years in Witcher 1 through 3, in plot, choice in action on different levels, and animation, I am a fan that ranks the three as some the best ever programmed. Then to see this... cardboard prop characters, seemingly cut out and placed on animated backgrounds, with extremely very poor shaky animations... well, I am going to wait until the reviews come in. Why? Well, for instance A. I was bored silly in the advance play provided on Utube. The prologue did not make me an owner to the story nor care. I didn't feel invited in. B. For instance when they are talking to each other, they do not even look at who the talking is directed at, but out at the screen... to.... the player, a wall? In the game, they are talking to someone, at least show it, not just for a functional announcing. C. And the words to the animation... 'A ferocious cry' sounded to me like.... an actors (grade B) attempt that wouldn't lead a foot soldier, much less a Witcher warrior. What an emotionless cry. This is a charge, perhaps to the death? No guts in it. C. The card battle seemed overlong. I quickly became bored. I am not playing a real person, so.... interest quickly lost in going on to where, for what? I could go on, but instead I am dusting off my loved Witcher Games for replay. That was a world with wildly diverse charecters, damn good story lines, and challenges worth re-exploring, including the dice and card games, brawling and horse racing. To me, Thronebreaker game play seemed like a better animated Hearthstone story, OK, yes, but that, unfortunately, well, that is it. That's all? My point is I want to be charmed by the wild array of people with whom I interact with. I want to be angry, in love, wounded, and drugged. And I want a robust story with surprises, with my face-to-face choices made through interactions throughout. Instead to just head down or up the path and fight with my cards....? Sorry, no go... so far. So I'll just stay with the Gwent Homecoming which hopefully improves on the card game I've played Beta for so long in. And if not? Well, as said, thank God for the three Witcher Games already on my shelf. (The Baron calls for a replay), and the memory of the Gwent Card Game that was. Sorry I could not have written it as a worthy prequel. Maybe next time eh?

I am so excited! Already pre-ordered. I know what I will be doing oct. 23 :) the question is should I play more thronebreaker or more homecoming gwent that day :eek: not enough time in a day!

Hello everyone, i've come back after my "Gwent hiatus" of 4 months.

I havent played it or participated in the forums for that time, but i've kept to date on the news and events, and with today's announcements, an alarm triggered, that caused my early return, scheduled for Homecoming / Thronebreaker itself:

What if my PC can't run Thronebreaker? My PC is crap, but it ran Gwent, no problem. I never worried with this possibility because Thronebreaker was meant to be an expansion for Gwent, but now that its standalone, that means it can have higher spec requirements than Gwent! And im too tech-ignorant to figure out by the minimum requirements...

TL;DR version: if my PC can run (current version) Gwent, will it be able to run Thronebreaker?
I really dont want to be forced to move out to PS4, wait 6 extra weeks and lose my full collection.

The specs are above, in this very thread. Burza has also clarified that after HC, specs should remain about the same :)

You should be able to run it, as such

Review and opinion: How disappointing. As an artist myself conditioned by the awesome, simply wild improvements over the years in Witcher 1 through 3, in plot, choice in action on different levels, and animation, I am a fan that ranks the three as some the best ever programmed. Then to see this... cardboard prop characters, seemingly cut out and placed on animated backgrounds, with extremely very poor shaky animations... well, I am going to wait until the reviews come in. Why? Well, for instance A. I was bored silly in the advance play provided on Utube. The prologue did not make me an owner to the story nor care. I didn't feel invited in. B. For instance when they are talking to each other, they do not even look at who the talking is directed at, but out at the screen... to.... the player, a wall? In the game, they are talking to someone, at least show it, not just for a functional announcing. C. And the words to the animation... 'A ferocious cry' sounded to me like.... an actors (grade B) attempt that wouldn't lead a foot soldier, much less a Witcher warrior. What an emotionless cry. This is a charge, perhaps to the death? No guts in it. C. The card battle seemed overlong. I quickly became bored. I am not playing a real person, so.... interest quickly lost in going on to where, for what? I could go on, but instead I am dusting off my loved Witcher Games for replay. That was a world with wildly diverse charecters, damn good story lines, and challenges worth re-exploring, including the dice and card games, brawling and horse racing. To me, Thronebreaker game play seemed like a better animated Hearthstone story, OK, yes, but that, unfortunately, well, that is it. That's all? My point is I want to be charmed by the wild array of people with whom I interact with. I want to be angry, in love, wounded, and drugged. And I want a robust story with surprises, with my face-to-face choices made through interactions throughout. Instead to just head down or up the path and fight with my cards....? Sorry, no go... so far. So I'll just stay with the Gwent Homecoming which hopefully improves on the card game I've played Beta for so long in. And if not? Well, as said, thank God for the three Witcher Games already on my shelf. (The Baron calls for a replay), and the memory of the Gwent Card Game that was. Sorry I could not have written it as a worthy prequel. Maybe next time eh?

calling yourself a "artist" (XD) and you was waiting for witcher 4 and now you are disapointed because card game have worse animations than witcher 3? + complaining about being bored in single player game because u dont play versus other player XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD ignoring that every person have own taste and dont have to like everything... because new gwent and throbebreaker looks beautiful for me but w/e, just wondering why ppl wasting thier breath for things they hate

Last edited by a moderator:
Gameplay trailer:

More info:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...-inherits-all-the-best-parts-of-the-witcher-3

What the heck. Why in the world was this not posted by CDPR? I had no idea this was up yet!

DzyntaMokry
My understanding is no Witcher 4 planned. And if you are any kind of follower, and if you like what you see with this new game so far? Good, enjoy it. My comments stand as my opinion, as yours will yours. And I do not beieve I said anything about hate. Strong conclusion my friend. Please learn English comprehension a little more.

Last edited:
To me, Thronebreaker game play seemed like a better animated Hearthstone story, OK, yes, but that, unfortunately, well, that is it. That's all? My point is I want to be charmed by the wild array of people with whom I interact with. I want to be angry, in love, wounded, and drugged. And I want a robust story with surprises, with my face-to-face choices made through interactions throughout. Instead to just head down or up the path and fight with my cards....? Sorry, no go... so far. So I'll just stay with the Gwent Homecoming which hopefully improves on the card game I've played Beta for so long in. And if not? Well, as said, thank God for the three Witcher Games already on my shelf. (The Baron calls for a replay), and the memory of the Gwent Card Game that was. Sorry I could not have written it as a worthy prequel. Maybe next time eh?

For me I never expected more than what was shown. Walking around a pretty world collecting stuff to get to the card battles is basically all I wanted. CDPR is great at RPG's but I wasn't really expecting them to do anything amazing in that genre with this game because I always felt like the focus was on the card battles.

I'm absolutly amazed by that gameplay video. The worldmap is pretty much what I expected.
But the Gwent part is the really amazing one for me. The new design looks so great and really fits for Thronebreaker. Meve looks like she is really leading her army. Also, even if this one was the introduction fight aimed at players who never played Gwent before, it contained so many interesting card designs and other interesting insides.
The Lyrian Scytheman was more or less a point spam unit, but even that unit required some kind of setup through the loyal tag, which probably activates ones when affected by an ally.
The Lyrian Arabalest had two different kinds of row dependency with Reach and damaging by the number of cards on the own row and seemed like a really cool new card.
The Wagenburg is just great. An engine that generates and uses armor at the same time, and thus likely became my favourite card in the game. I really hope that it will be one of the 20 cards that will be available in regular Gwent.
The Lyrian Standard is probably only there for the campaign but tells us at least that reducing the countdowns of orders will be a thing in homecoming.
Odo Reynard is a really cool new card, but he seems far too strong if he ever makes it into regular Gwent.
Meve is ok but not that interesting.
Swallow seems pretty odd, and makes me guess that it is a placeholder. The ability is completly unchanged even though overall power was toned down and Swallow has the Fire symbol on it which means it has a destructive ability and doesn't fit to the shown ability.
And the Voracious Alghoul is just a joke. I have never seen such an op card before in Gwent. Just imagine a Letho Regis combo with him through Ursurper. I guess those miniboss leaders will be things that will really differentiate the Gwent battles in Thronebreaker and make them unique. Also, I haven't seen a possibility from the videos to look up the ability of the enemy leader. I wonder if that won't be possible and you will just be surprised ingame.

Does anyone have a clue what the card category Blitz means? I would have guessed that those cards have an immediate effect but that is obviously not true.
And why are all cards that are drawn to the hand buffed by 3? There wasn't any description anywhere that solved that. Are faction abilities back and NR just gets +3 on every card? How strong have other faction abilities to be in that case?

To me, Thronebreaker game play seemed like a better animated Hearthstone story, OK, yes, but that, unfortunately, well, that is it. That's all? My point is I want to be charmed by the wild array of people with whom I interact with. I want to be angry, in love, wounded, and drugged. And I want a robust story with surprises, with my face-to-face choices made through interactions throughout. Instead to just head down or up the path and fight with my cards....?
What else did you honestly expect? What we saw was the game introduction. It was the same for all the Witcher games, too. Being in a restriced setting, not having all choices yet and being explained all basic functions before using them.

And the Voracious Alghoul is just a joke. I have never seen such an op card before in Gwent.

It is there just to show you you need to pass. But if you want a more OP card here'a one:

She-Troll of Vergen (Mahakam Ale Tucking event): every other turn, consume the lowest unit on your opponent's side of the board and strengthen self by its power. Resilience.

I would argue that the concept of theonebreaker will be very much the same like Saovine and Mahakam ale events. Battles I expect will function like intricate puzzles you need to solve, except random encounters possibly. It makes sense for a single player game after all. It's just that your cards will probably stay the same unlike, say, Saovine where their ability changed from one battle to the next.

And if it IS like those events, count me in! I won't be able to wait before jumping in in that case :)

I'd say that Alghoul is stronger than the she-troll. And the She-Troll could even be scorched (if there were a scorch in that mode), which isn't possible for the Alghoul, because it effects multiple units which don't have to have the same power.

I also expect a lot of puzzles, but hope that there will be normal games in Thronebreaker, too. When playing a Gwent campaign there should be at least a bit of regular Gwent playable and not only puzzles. But that seems to be the case too.

There wasn't :p either way I doubt you'll be facing things like that with no way to overcome them but passing the round in TB. And yes, I too expect normal battles, probably every "random" encounter you will have.

The Lyrian arbalest card art has been around for a long while, good to see it's finally there :) I like the voice acting too. Lyrian scythemen return with the voice of the peasants in Saovine. I missed the "My spirit's willing and how, but these damn boots are killing me!" :p

Raunbjorn

I can't figure out if I think this looks cool as heck or if this looks like a cheap mobile game. xD

Anyhow, 30 bucks is a bit steep, imo. I'm gonna buy it though, because I'm a nerd...

I can't figure out if I think this looks cool as heck or if this looks like a cheap mobile game. xD

Anyhow, 30 bucks is a bit steep, imo. I'm gonna buy it though, because I'm a nerd...

Same here, barely inside my price range, but on the other hand, it IS 30 hours of gameplay. Plus, there's always waiting for a discount, so it's not so bad for a starting price if I'm honest. I think I am definitely buying it, only question is when.

Don't forget you get also a lot of adds, like artbook, some novel, premium kegs, 20 cards and animeted versions of them, avatars, borders, titles and on top of that 30h minimum of Witcher releated game. For me it is very good price

This looks rather promising. . . .

Although stylistically unlike aught we've hitherto seen in the Witcher's world, it's still lovely artwork. I'm looking forward to more!

Don't forget you get also a lot of adds, like artbook, some novel, premium kegs, 20 cards and animeted versions of them, avatars, borders, titles and on top of that 30h minimum of Witcher releated game. For me it is very good price
wish it was physical version of artbook, sadly its not possible for this price

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, i wasnt too happy about the price either...

On the price speculation threads for all these months, i always stated that there was no way CDPR would charge more for Thronebreaker than for TW3's Season Pass, with full certainty... how wrong i was.

But still, buying day one, just like i promised over a year ago, since i never payed a single cent for Gwent and it gave me more entertainment than 99.9% of the games i played.

Top Bottom