Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is now available for pre-order!

+

The Witcher World is Back! You can pre-order Thronebreaker: The Witcher tales here!

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales will release on October 23rd on PC via GOG.COM. A console release for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will follow on December 4th. Make sure to visit witchertales.com to find additional information about the setting, characters, and gameplay!

Thronebreaker is a single player role-playing game set in the world of The Witcher that combines narrative-driven exploration with unique puzzles and card battle mechanics. The game spins a truly regal tale of Meve, a war-veteran queen of two Northern Realms — Lyria and Rivia. Facing an imminent Nilfgaardian invasion, Meve is forced to once again enter the warpath, and set out on a dark journey of destruction and revenge.

Really excited to explore it all. Sounds like it's huge and full of story content.

Sorry for sounding grimy, but is there a "bonus" to pre-order, or just a way to reserve your spot at the front of the line?

Very skeptical about this. While Blizzard constantly supports their game, adding new adventures and expansions, CDPR announces that Thronebreaker will be a separate game, when its gameplay looks and feels exactly like the Homecoming gameplay showcase. I do still believe that Thronebreaker should be a buy-to-play expansion, I just don't think it can be a successful stand alone game, and even if it will, it would probably do Gwent more harm than good. Separating these two games looks like CDPR does not believe in the Homecoming, and are desperately trying to salvage what's left, and save the work that the Thronebreaker dev team did. I just hope they will be supporting Gwent after Homecoming release, instead of declaring it dead and moving on to make those "Witcher Tales" games, which I'm not particularly excited for.

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Very skeptical about this. While Blizzard constantly supports their game, adding new adventures and expansions, CDPR announces that Thronebreaker will be a separate game, when its gameplay looks and feels exactly like the Homecoming gameplay showcase. I do still believe that Thronebreaker should be a buy-to-play expansion, I just don't think it can be a successful stand alone game, and even if it will, it would probably do Gwent more harm than good. Separating these two games looks like CDPR does not believe in the Homecoming, and are desperately trying to salvage what's left, and save the work that the Thronebreaker dev team did. I just hope they will be supporting Gwent after Homecoming release, instead of declaring it dead and moving on to make those "Witcher Tales" games, which I'm not particularly excited for.

Thronebreaker has changed a lot since we first announced the project. We decided to make it standalone because of what it offers - it's a single player story-driven RPG utilizing card battle mechanics. At the same time we deeply believe in Homecoming and we're not planning to abandon GWENT.

I just don't think it can be a successful stand alone game
Why do you think that way? I'm pretty sure that a big % of The Witcher players will buy and play this just for the story.

its gameplay looks and feels exactly like the Homecoming gameplay showcase
The battles yea, they are based on the Gwent engine. However, Thronebreaker is much more then just a card game, it's a RPG. It's not a small adventure like those you find in Hearthstone, that you can complete in a few hours, during 1 day gaming session. I gave much though about this way before they announced that it would be stand alone, and it makes complete sense. It just feels wrong that I have to install a game (Gwent) to spend hours, days, in another game (Thronebreaker) without even caring for the former one (not my case cause I do play Gwent, but you got the idea).

it would probably do Gwent more harm than good
Based on my thoughts above, my conclusions go on the oposite direction. I believe this will bring many new players to Gwent and it's a really smart move from CDPR. People that are not much into card games but love The Witcher series will surely buy this for the story and because it's a RPG, and by playing the game they can start to like the battles mechanics and then give a chance to Gwent.

Still unsure about homecoming, yet this made me just want to hop in and play it desperately, as soon as I saw the gameplay footage :)

I won't be pre-ordering, but I plan to purchase this soon, especially if it is released to positive reviews :)

Good luck CDPR

That gameplay video looks great. Can't wait for Thronebreaker! And also I love that Thronebreaker is a standalone game and not a monetary add on to Gwent. A FTP game shouldn't have expansions that demand money and affect how cards are being collected. That practice is unethical to such games.

I just hope they will do content updates and expansions for Gwent in addition to these Tales, adding more cards and mechanics, instead of finding the Tales sufficient addition to the Gwent game itself. I guess we'll see how this all plays out, I wish CDPR good luck!

I'm realy sorry to say this, but Thronebreaker looks mediocre. The cut scene is boring and realy cheap and poorly animated, the uninspired gameplay on the map seems were you're supposed to follow a path is not promising (please, tell me you're not supposed to follow a brick path the entire game). It's looks like a bad mobile game. This will not bring any new players to the game. Only fanboys (like me), will buy it.

I'm realy sorry to say this, but Thronebreaker looks mediocre. The cut scene is boring and realy cheap and poorly animated, the uninspired gameplay on the map seems were you're supposed to follow a path is not promising (please, tell me you're not supposed to follow a brick path the entire game). It's looks like a bad mobile game. This will not bring any new players to the game. Only fanboys (like me), will buy it.

I believe you are wrong. I have never played Gwent before, just saw it sometimes while my brother was playing it. After watching the Thronebreaker gameplay I am so hyped and can't wait to play it and also the new/updated Gwent! I'm pretty sure there is a ton of people like me who have never touched the game and are hyped as hell.

Taken from the description on GOG:

"
  • Note: Standard versions of the 20 cards can also be crafted directly in GWENT: The Witcher Card Game.
"

That's because I saw someone wondering here the last week about this. Feel free to move it to the right thread if it is not topical

Damn, just yesterday I remembered about Gwent and heard about the homecoming update and today great news about the story expansion!
Can't wait for october.

If I remember correctly, there should be two more story expansions? I know it's probably too soon to say, but do you have some estimated date for their releases? Like summer or fall next year?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Hello everyone, i've come back after my "Gwent hiatus" of 4 months.

I havent played it or participated in the forums for that time, but i've kept to date on the news and events, and with today's announcements, an alarm triggered, that caused my early return, scheduled for Homecoming / Thronebreaker itself:

What if my PC can't run Thronebreaker? My PC is crap, but it ran Gwent, no problem. I never worried with this possibility because Thronebreaker was meant to be an expansion for Gwent, but now that its standalone, that means it can have higher spec requirements than Gwent! And im too tech-ignorant to figure out by the minimum requirements...

TL;DR version: if my PC can run (current version) Gwent, will it be able to run Thronebreaker?
I really dont want to be forced to move out to PS4, wait 6 extra weeks and lose my full collection.

Top Bottom