Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales is now available for pre-order!

+
I don't get why people are criticizing the art style or saying it looks like a mobile game. To me it's a gorgeous blend of well drawn 2d with some 3d enhancements and a storybook feel. It's clearly going for an old school, adventure game look.

Compared to how other CCGs handle story modes, 30 bucks is actually very cheap for 30 hours of gameplay (and you get 20 cards for Gwent).

Even if it was just 20 hours it would still be a very fair price in comparison.

The cards don't factor in for me because I could just craft them. I guess you need TB to make them premium I think?
Post automatically merged:

If it was any other publisher you can be sure it would be at least $60 for the amount of stuff you get with TB.

Do you have any examples of games like this being $60?

It's clearly going for an old school, adventure game look.
That's the impression I get as well. Personally, I like this hand-drawn look, and am curious to see how the aesthetic fares.
Even if it was just 20 hours it would still be a very fair price in comparison.
Based on CDPR's previous modest hour estimates for TWIII, HoS and B&W -- where the actual playing time proved far greater than advertised -- I wouldn't be surprised if this 30 hours could prove, yet again, a very conservative calculation, and that many players could manage to play for much, much longer.

Based on CDPR's previous modest hour estimates for TWIII, HoS and B&W -- where the actual playing time proved far greater than advertised -- I wouldn't be surprised if this 30 hours could prove, yet again, a very conservative calculation, and that many players could manage to play for much, much longer.

Sure, that's possible. I was just pointing out that usually, you get a lot less from story expansions that are connected to CCG's.

The cards don't factor in for me because I could just craft them. I guess you need TB to make them premium I think?

If you can craft them without TB you don't need TB to make them premium (Edit: seems like you can only craft them with TB, so ignore that sentence :D ). But still, with TB you don't need to craft them, so you can save your scraps for other cards. Of course, a lot of us already have enough scraps to craft any card they like, but that's also thanks to CDPRs generosity. And not all of us have collected so many scraps, ore, and kegs :D

Besides, if you don't want to play TB you don't have to.

But that's just my opinion. I am very very much looking forward to Thronebreaker.

Last edited:
Sure, that's possible. I was just pointing out that usually, you get a lot less from story expansions that are connected to CCG's.

If you can craft them without TB you don't need TB to make them premium. But still, with TB you don't need to craft them, so you can save your scraps for other cards. Of course, a lot of us already have enough scraps to craft any card they like, but that's also thanks to CDPRs generosity. And not all of us have collected so many scraps, ore, and kegs :D

Besides, if you don't want to play TB you don't have to.

But that's just my opinion. I am very very much looking forward to Thronebreaker.

I'm definitely looking forward to it but wasn't really wanting to spend 30. I don't really care about scrap at this point so the cards don't mean much to me. Now I am confused here because Burza alluded to being able to craft them but also said you need throne breaker to make them premium so what the heck.

Now I am confused here because Burza alluded to being able to craft them but also said you need throne breaker to make them premium so what the heck.
According to the order page on GOG.com:
Unlock 20 cards (standard versions) for use in GWENT: The Witcher Card Game and search for their exclusive premium versions during your travels in Thronebreaker.
Note: Standard versions of the 20 cards can also be crafted directly in GWENT: The Witcher Card Game.
So, from this it would seem the premiums may only be available in TB, however, I'm not entirely certain whether this is the case or not.

Now you are going into semantics and taking the phrase "found in game" literally. I think you are overthinking this.

I'm sort of joking but Burza's answers are sometimes very short, vague, and change over time so I am not completley sure what he is saying. It's a bit odd that we can craft those cards but can't make them premium without thronebreaker. I expected to need to get throne breaker to get the cards at all.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ok, so we know Thronebreaker will have tons of new cards, specifically for it, and we know about these 20 cards associated with TB, for Gwent.

My question is: will there only be these 20 new cards on Gwent Homecoming or will there be more? (excluding changes to existing cards)

Its basically just a marketing game for Gwent tho. What a shame. Like, if anything, why not have some bonus stuff for other Witcher games too then? There is only Gwent bonus stuff in it and i already uninstalled Gwent so there is no reason for me to buy Thronebreaker...

Its basically just a marketing game for Gwent tho. What a shame. Like, if anything, why not have some bonus stuff for other Witcher games too then? There is only Gwent bonus stuff in it and i already uninstalled Gwent so there is no reason for me to buy Thronebreaker...

Just a marketing game? I'm glad to disagree with you here.

TB.jpg

Attachments

• TB.png
    TB.png
    520.1 KB · Views: 112
Ay, also, since the gameplay mechanics of Thronebreaker will be quite a bit different from those of competitive Gwent, I fancy newcomers would be very confused transitioning from the single-player to multiplayer. TB is intended to stand on its own as a game, with puzzles, exploration, and a story, rather than a mere enticement for people to play more Gwent.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ay, also, since the gameplay mechanics of Thronebreaker will be quite a bit different from those of competitive Gwent, I fancy newcomers would be very confused transitioning from the single-player to multiplayer. TB is intended to stand on its own as a game, with puzzles, exploration, and a story, rather than a mere enticement for people to play more Gwent.

The newcomers? What about the veterans, that know current Gwent's mechanics like the palm of their hands, but will have to learn not one but two new games, with TB being completely new and Gwent completely transformed. I'll probably play a bit of each everyday and im gonna do soooo many mistakes thinking im playing the other one.

The newcomers? What about the veterans, that know current Gwent's mechanics like the palm of their hands, but will have to learn not one but two new games, with TB being completely new and Gwent completely transformed. I'll probably play a bit of each everyday and im gonna do soooo many mistakes thinking im playing the other one.
No doubts there. After all, I'll be one of them as well. I was simply referring to the challenge of being a total newcomer to one game, and then again to another. As veterans, we'll probably have an ever-so-slight advantage.

I like the concept and the look. It's basically a much better version of the single player campaign from the '98 version of MtG: Duels of the Planeswalkers that I played way back when. But honestly I wasn't expecting it to be at a higher price point than the expansion pass for Wild Hunt was. CDProjektRed is the only company I ever even consider pre-ordering from, but in this case, I'll definitely wait for some feedback before doing any purchasing.

Top Bottom