Throwing Knifes

+
Interesting… at lvl50 I have now maxed cool attribute and with just basic knife is almost assured hit/kill for normal npcs including city centre. And I don’t even have maxed inflicting damage due few missing perks. Is fact that I get used aim on head and attack from ‘shadows’ without rising alarm, but imo this fit to this playstyle. There are also some nice hacks for lure away npcs in packs. And I play on highest difficulty.
Maybe as "stealth", you don't look on armor value, so you have great chances (or 100%...) to deal a crit. In this case, even the most basic knife is lethal in any case :)

Other games have a separate throwing weapon class, and they balance it by allowing the player to carry a set about of those weapons, its that simple.

Assassin's Creed (2007) had throwing knives, I believe they were capped at having 5 at a time then you had to buy/get more, so no mowing down legions of npc's. If Ubisoft could do it 14 years ago, goodness knows why CDPR could not have done it in 2020 :shrug:
If I remember right, in AC1 enemies could actually throw your own knives back at you (I believe this happened if you threw them without fixing the target and the knife didn't hit but landed near them)

If it's technical, it may simply be that the game has no way of tracking "projectiles" as permanent objects. I don't think there was anything you could throw in the witcher games that you could later collect. Combat was never designed in REDengine to work like FarCry, for example, letting you collect your arrows and stuff after shooting them.

If it's design, maybe something as simple as a cooldown would work. That might make it still lethal, but not really something the player can utilize to just breeze through most combat situations. (Although, I found my upgraded stun baton to be roughly as OP. Thing could waste most enemies in 1-2 hits.)

I just explained to you there's a mod on Nexus which allows you to throw knives and retrieve them. So no, it is not technical limitation if someone was able to fix it with a mod.

Don't throw a legendary knife, even less an iconic one.

Rather use the basic, cheap ones added in 1.3 ;)

Still doesn't make sense for the knives to just evaporate. Shouldnt be too hard to simply add the knife thrown into the targets inventory.

There was a tweet sometime ago that mentioned that CDPR employs 1200 people. Makes me wonder what do they actually do? Could've fooled me if they said they employ 50. Where have all those hundreds of thousands of man-hours they've spent this year gone? Nothing to show for it? One random modder regularly outperforms them? CDPR must be the most inefficient game company in the history of the universe.

Last edited:
Still doesn't make sense for the knives to just evaporate. Shouldnt be too hard to simply add the knife thrown into the targets inventory.

There was a tweet sometime ago that mentioned that CDPR employs 1200 people. Makes me wonder what do they actually do? Could've fooled me if they said they employ 50. Where have all those hundreds of thousands of man-hours they've spent this year gone? Nothing to show for it? One random modder regularly outperforms them? CDPR must be the most inefficient game company in the history of the universe.
Form memories, until 1.3, QOL improvements were not on what CDPR Devs were working on at all. Throwing knives were certainly on the very bottom of the to-do list (if they even were on a to-do list...)

In my opinion, it was probably a gameplay decision (like specified by @SigilFey in TW). So until a "possible" change in a futur patch, we have to do with. If it bother you, either you can use mods, either if you don't want use mods (or unable to use mods) you have/can to ignore knives. As simple as that and it have nothing to do with the number or Dev's skill :)

If it's technical, it may simply be that the game has no way of tracking "projectiles" as permanent objects. I don't think there was anything you could throw in the witcher games that you could later collect. Combat was never designed in REDengine to work like FarCry, for example, letting you collect your arrows and stuff after shooting them.

Fair point, but it would have been easy to treat throwing knives as their own weapon type with an ammo count (X amount of knives). The player could replenish these in the same way thy do with normal ammo, off enemies at stores.

If they were their own weapon type, we could have had more than just knives such as shuriken's, or tech shuriken's that track a target or something cool like that.

I just explained to you there's a mod on Nexus which allows you to throw knives and retrieve them. So no, it is not technical limitation if someone was able to fix it with a mod.
And I've had the discussion multiple times over the last 20 years or so that mods are not universally applicable. Just because a mod solves a problem or adds a feature that technically works, it doesn't mean that the same approach will work on all PC hardware, on consoles, etc. It also doesn't mean that it's not creating an issue elsewhere in the game that the mod author may be unaware of. This is why many, many mods exist that "fix" or "add" things that are never handled the same way officially.

At other times, it's simply because the studio doesn't want to handle their game that way.

Fair point, but it would have been easy to treat throwing knives as their own weapon type with an ammo count (X amount of knives). The player could replenish these in the same way thy do with normal ammo, off enemies at stores.

If they were their own weapon type, we could have had more than just knives such as shuriken's, or tech shuriken's that track a target or something cool like that.
I like this approach, too! You could buy, like, a belt of 3 knives (or whatever throwable). You could later upgrade it or find better belts that have 5 knives, 8 knives, etc. And you reload them with "ammo".

I like this approach, too! You could buy, like, a belt of 3 knives (or whatever throwable). You could later upgrade it or find better belts that have 5 knives, 8 knives, etc. And you reload them with "ammo".
Or for "stay" in Cyberpunk world, instead of a "belt", replace the monowire (unrelated to the cool perks anyway...) by a arms cyberware who can hold and put directly in your hand dedicated throwing knives. The amount of knives stored and damages could change in function of the rarity of the cyberware and also by the cool skill level. Throwng knives that you could craft in the crafting tab in the same way than amunations for gun (And they are brittle, so they break/disappear after be throwed).
But it require serious amount of change :(

In my opinion, it was probably a gameplay decision (like specified by @SigilFey in TW).

Can you elaborate exactly how is this a gameplay decision? They chose to add throwing knives to the game with incomplete mechanics, then decided to just drop any attempts at improving them for a year?

Not that I particularly WANT throwing knives, but if they are added to the game then devs should be obligated to make them actually work. If they can't make it work, don't add it to the game in the first place.

Or for "stay" in Cyberpunk world, instead of a "belt", replace the monowire (unrelated to the cool perks anyway...) by a arms cyberware who can hold and put directly in your hand dedicated throwing knives. The amount of knives stored and damages could change in function of the rarity of the cyberware and also by the cool skill level. Throwng knives that you could craft in the crafting tab in the same way than amunations for gun (And they are brittle, so they break/disappear after be throwed).
But it require serious amount of change :(
HA, I really would like to have something like that for my V :) ... and ideally adding throwing stars for true cyber-ninja feel :D

Last edited:
(and ideally adding throwing starts for true cyber-ninja feel :D )
And in addition, maybe different ones (poison, short circuit effect,...) a little bit more expansive to craft and in "lower" number than "basics" knives (physical damages).
Or maybe dedicated Cyberware mods who add effect to your "basics" knives or/and throwing stars.

Can you elaborate exactly how is this a gameplay decision? They chose to add throwing knives to the game with incomplete mechanics, then decided to just drop any attempts at improving them for a year?

Not that I particularly WANT throwing knives, but if they are added to the game then devs should be obligated to make them actually work. If they can't make it work, don't add it to the game in the first place.
I never said it was definitely a gameplay decision. What I said was, it COULD be a gameplay decision. It COULD be a technical limitation. It COULD be a placeholder functionality while they work on something really cool with throwing weapons in the future. It COULD be something that they wanted to do, but didn't get to finish, and now it's simply not a priority.

I'm not a developer on the game. Neither is anyone else posting here. Assuming we know or understand anything beyond "this is a possibility" is complete and invalid nonsense.

What we do know is that you can't pick up thrown knives in the game, and that's not for no reason. It's for a very definite reason we can't be sure of. So...ask questions. Make suggestions and arguments. Speculate and discuss. All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Just don't expect to be right -- or even humored -- in the end. The developers get to decide what's best for the game. Everyone else decides whether to take it or leave it.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Occam's razor on this one. Most obvious answer would be it's an unfinished mechanic. Much like the wanted system and crating, It's clear this isn't the intended design. No one could be this incompetent at a AAA gaming studio. I did QA for MS years ago and I can tell you with certainty this issue would have been documented almost instantly. You're talking about a mechanic that allows the player to essentially throw away a unique weapon and up until 1.3 I don't believe you could recraft it.

Top Bottom