Tidecloak Hideaway = crazy points

+
I see this shit now plays for 10 points on deploy on bloody average with all the new buffs pirates have!
This is the new equivalent to Viper Witcher Mentor EXCEPT this thing doesn't even have the Adrenaline condition AND has a much higher floor value (5 POINTS MINIMUM and then maximum can go up to 12-13 :eek: up to 14 if you play with Lamp Jin and have 9 pirates in hand) AND is 5 provisions!
Aaaand lo and behold it's part of the SK faction, OBVIOUSLY! Since Skellige MUST DOMINATE, tis the rule of Gwent. :[ Pls change the rule that SK must dominate, and after that nerf this card.

Edit: Okay I guess it does have a sort of "Adrenaline" condition in the sense that the less cards you have in your hand the less points you'll be getting. But still I think it's lowest value should be lower, down to 4 or 3. :}

Also buff the Halfling Safecracker up to 4 but remove it's Intimidate, this way it would be on the same level as Nilfgaard's Venedal Elite.
Hideaway and Safecracker should both be made equal total value to Venedal Elite. :}

Last edited:
You need to have pirates in deck to boost, so only works in pirate decks which is very limited. Pirates are not competitive at the moment. Also, I disagree when you say SK is dominating, they're at least the 3rd faction after SY and NG. Right now SK is just being carried by 1 card, which will probably get nerfed, so SK definitively has seen better days.

Guest 4375874

You need to have pirates in deck to boost, so only works in pirate decks which is very limited. Pirates are not competitive at the moment. Also, I disagree when you say SK is dominating, they're at least the 3rd faction after SY and NG. Right now SK is just being carried by 1 card, which will probably get nerfed, so SK definitively has seen better days.
carried by 1 card? lol you're joking right? SK has been dominating for the better part of a year. NR only moved up since the WotW expansion, same for NG. The addition of these broken cards doesn't make SK any less problematic. Pirates are only just getting support but that doesn't represent all of SK

carried by 1 card? lol you're joking right? SK has been dominating for the better part of a year. NR only moved up since the WotW expansion, same for NG. The addition of these broken cards doesn't make SK any less problematic. Pirates are only just getting support but that doesn't represent all of SK
No, not joking...they're carried by Eist, the warriors 1st round is a nightmare on blue coin against SY or NG, they're slow as f*** with their ships (they can't use Hideaway ships), compared to safecrackers or double Joachim. It is very easy to lose on even with the current warriors deck. And well then they get forced to play Eist on a bleed and gg most of the time. I am not telling from the SK player perspective, mostly I played SY vs them. They're a good deck and they've the most broken combo, but not dominating.

Last edited:
I see this shit now plays for 10 points on deploy on bloody average with all the new buffs pirates have!
This is the new equivalent to Viper Witcher Mentor EXCEPT this thing doesn't even have the Adrenaline condition AND has a much higher floor value (5 POINTS MINIMUM and then maximum can go up to 12-13 :eek: up to 14 if you play with Lamp Jin and have 9 pirates in hand) AND is 5 provisions!
Aaaand lo and behold it's part of the SK faction, OBVIOUSLY! Since Skellige MUST DOMINATE, tis the rule of Gwent. :[ Pls change the rule that SK must dominate, and after that nerf this card.

Edit: Okay I guess it does have a sort of "Adrenaline" condition in the sense that the less cards you have in your hand the less points you'll be getting. But still I think it's lowest value should be lower, down to 4 or 3. :}
Before railing against a card, I strongly suggest you try playing it. Tidecloak Hideaway only gets good value in a pirate deck, only if played early in a long round. They tend to make mulligans awkward, leave opponents a free turn to develop engines, and are point slam at a time when point slam is not high priority. If SK is OP, it is not due to hideaways.

Play with a pirate deck
and you will understand why this card isn't a problem, specially compared with halfing safecracker, which isn't only more versatile, but also an engine.

Last edited:
Also do not cosider this card to be a problem.
Actually I like my pirate deck a lot but still did not manage to jump to Rank 2 with it.

Regarding Tidecloack Hideaway. I play it but you must limit your deck building in more than having many pirates but also being lucky with Mulligans.
- If I am lucky with Mulligan I usually play cards like An Craite Longship and Herkja and want to boost them with Tidecloack Hideaway if they survive.
- Of course I also use Magic Lamp as a strategem do have an additional target for Tidecloack Hideaway. But then I have a boosted non engine card. As already mentioned pure point slam in the beginning of the round
- For Tidecloack Hideaway there are many pirate cards you want to play early in order to build an engine (e.g. Holger Blackhand, Dimun Corsair). This significantly reduces the value of Tidecloack Hideaway. For Safecracker those double benefitting crime cards are usually only use in reaction before the engine cards.
- Raiding Fleet (almost auto include in pirate decks before the leader patch) is a card you should not use with Tidecloack Hideaway and Dimun warship as you might get them from this card in a situation where playing it does not make sense.

From my perspective the key value driver in pirate decks is Crach An Craite and the defender + Arnaghad + Sukrus combo. You even can have double benefit from Sukrus if you make a unit next to Crach An Craite not be damaged. And you can use Crach for your Dimun warship. And it´s not early round point slam via Tidecloack Hideaway.

DRK3

Forum veteran
This thread is coming a little late... as in, one month late.
When the patch hit last month, pirates was my first go-to deck, and i talked about the amazing value tidecloak hideaway was providing me, and even did and shared a deck and guide for a pirate/ship deck.

Anyway, yes this card offers tremendous value, specially on R1 and blue coin, but it has strong deckbuilding costs, and also if we're gonna talk nerfs, the SY safecracker should be before on the priority list.

Hideaway Value - Record Broken.jpg

Also, you should absolutely play this on djinn and not on engines like bronze ships or holger, if you do you are asking for it to be removed, while if its on a card with no further value the opponent will hesitate to waste tall removal on it, i did this play over 30 times and only once was one of the tall units targeted, and it was by bronze poisons (low commitment).

Do not get your point in prioritizing Djin over engine cards.

Dependent on the opponent deck you face your opponent might have several tool to deal with engine cards one of them is removal. Others most relevant are lock or damage. If my opponent does not have removal (or does not want to use it) my bronze engine is way less vulnerable to damage.

When I play pirates I actually want my opponent to waste his removal on bronze engines. Why? Then he has less removal opportunities for my strongest Combo: Crach, Arnaghad, Sukrus. Defender

DRK3

Forum veteran
Do not get your point in prioritizing Djin over engine cards.

Dependent on the opponent deck you face your opponent might have several tool to deal with engine cards one of them is removal. Others most relevant are lock or damage. If my opponent does not have removal (or does not want to use it) my bronze engine is way less vulnerable to damage.

When I play pirates I actually want my opponent to waste his removal on bronze engines. Why? Then he has less removal opportunities for my strongest Combo: Crach, Arnaghad, Sukrus. Defender

Well, on R1 you are guaranteed to have 10 cards at the beginning, on later rounds tidecloak hideaway is more likely to get reduced value.

If you try to set engines - most likely bronze ships - before the tideaway, that is less pirates you can hold in hand, also they are removal bait like you said, if you dont have djinn you risk not having a target for hideaway, losing value each turn.

Also, baiting removal is not so simple. Players will use 4/5pt damage specials on bronze engines, but those gold engines you mentioned are outside of removal range of those, the opponents reserve their heatwaves and more expensive removal for those, its unlikely you can bait out those with bronze engines.

Finally, it could be argued that on R3, players are fishing for their golds and are less likely to have those 4/5 dmg specials, so bronze engines are more likely to survive, that's why when i play pirates, i play more pointslam on R1 and more engines on R3.

Well, on R1 you are guaranteed to have 10 cards at the beginning, on later rounds tidecloak hideaway is more likely to get reduced value.

If you try to set engines - most likely bronze ships - before the tideaway, that is less pirates you can hold in hand, also they are removal bait like you said, if you dont have djinn you risk not having a target for hideaway, losing value each turn.

Also, baiting removal is not so simple. Players will use 4/5pt damage specials on bronze engines, but those gold engines you mentioned are outside of removal range of those, the opponents reserve their heatwaves and more expensive removal for those, its unlikely you can bait out those with bronze engines.

Finally, it could be argued that on R3, players are fishing for their golds and are less likely to have those 4/5 dmg specials, so bronze engines are more likely to survive, that's why when i play pirates, i play more pointslam on R1 and more engines on R3.

Hmmh, well it depends. I also use the Magic Lamp as strategem but I prefer to open with Herkja or An Craite Longship and boost them with Tidecloack Hideaway if they survive. If not I still can use the djin if I begin.

Regarding pirate limits: I only use high body bronze pirates and dimun corsair to get the most of Dimun Warship. My pirate deck is not a meme deck focusing on getting the most of Tidecloack Hideaway (If it would be it would be 2 Tidecloack Hideaways and reminder pirates and this would probably not be competitive).
Usually if I have Tidecloack Hideaways its boost is between 5 and 7.

Guest 4563100

pirates sk is not a 1st tier. this card is okay now. if other pirates are buffed and can be used like warriors to make a deck only with them, then hideaway should be nerfed.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Hmmh, well it depends. I also use the Magic Lamp as strategem but I prefer to open with Herkja or An Craite Longship and boost them with Tidecloack Hideaway if they survive. If not I still can use the djin if I begin.

Regarding pirate limits: I only use high body bronze pirates and dimun corsair to get the most of Dimun Warship. My pirate deck is not a meme deck focusing on getting the most of Tidecloack Hideaway (If it would be it would be 2 Tidecloack Hideaways and reminder pirates and this would probably not be competitive).
Usually if I have Tidecloack Hideaways its boost is between 5 and 7.

Pirates might not be the best archetype SK has, but it's far from being bad - Tyyrgvi and Morkvarg HoT are both pirates and some of the best tall removal SK has, also it has Wild Boar of the Sea instead of warrior's Hemdall for wide punishment, Hammond and Holger are decent, defender is pirate, crach is great when unanswered, average when insta dealt with (since it still provides 2x3 armor, unlike Emhyr which plays for 0 if dealt with immediately).

Also in the bronze department, those 2 veteran bronzes added in MM are both warrior and pirates, and on R3 they offer good value, almost as much as some lower golds.

Top Bottom