Time Must be Frozen During Hacking minigames like Kereznikov.

+
I strongly believe that when hacking a boss, or doing any kind of hacking anywhere in the game that time must be stopped while inside the hacking process. I can't imagine ever getting an opportunity to hack a boss during a fight or hack during something dangerous happening because I will get killed if I'm in the middle of a hack and not paying attention to my surroundings and hacking would probably take too long to ever making it worth risking it and using it. This isn't a lazy or cowardly cop-out and I will explain why I believe it fits canon.

I am interested in very fun and deep and complex hacking that is challenging, but not frustratingly impossible, and that type of hacking probably takes a good amount of time and effort to complete. Simultaneously, I also want to be able to hack everything, even in the moment. I think that time-stopping during hacking (relatively speaking) for V (main character) would thematically and canonically make sense because if the hacking process is going on inside of the computer parts of V's brain and chips, high speed computing and the perception of that effort and information processing would make the rest of the world appear to slow down considerably or stop, Just like the Kereznikov power that when activated allows V to enter something similar to "bullet time". So we already know that it is well within the realm of canonical possibility that time can be perceptually slowed or frozen. To me this would strongly and in an undebatable way of presenting that evidence confirm that this must be this way for hacking. I can't speak for CDProjektRed since this is only my very strong opinion(and I admit that), but I suggest this because I feel beyond 100% confident that time must freeze during hacking, because it would break the game if it didn't, and take a large amount of enjoyment out of hacker playthroughs.

Thank you for reading and taking what I said into consideration, even if you disagree.:think:

While I agree with you in principle, hacking should not be a pause button on the physical world. If you're engaged in physical combat and decide to hack something you should have to suffer the risks involved. For example, if you're hacking you aren't moving. A stationary target is very vulnerable. Things like that.

I agree with you if hacking doesn`t stop time and your vulnerable why would you do it ? I would rather be a Solo shooting all those enemies standing around . The same goes for opening your inventory screen , i don`t want to be shot while i am looking at the new loot i just got . NC is a dangerous place .

While I agree with you in principle, hacking should not be a pause button on the physical world. If you're engaged in physical combat and decide to hack something you should have to suffer the risks involved. For example, if you're hacking you aren't moving. A stationary target is very vulnerable. Things like that.

Actually, in Shadowrun (yes, I know, not Cyberpunk 2020), you can act 3 to 4 times faster in the Matrix than out of it.
So why not.

I kinda hope it's not. I loved in the Last of Us that being in UI and such could get you owned. The world doesn't stop because we're in a dataterminal.

I agree with you if hacking doesn`t stop time and your vulnerable why would you do it ? I would rather be a Solo shooting all those enemies standing around . The same goes for opening your inventory screen , i don`t want to be shot while i am looking at the new loot i just got . NC is a dangerous place .
Actually, in Shadowrun (yes, I know, not Cyberpunk 2020), you can act 3 to 4 times faster in the Matrix than out of it.
So why not.
I'm glad I'm not totally alone here. :)

I kinda hope it's not. I loved in the Last of Us that being in UI and such could get you owned. The world doesn't stop because we're in a dataterminal.
Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I get a little feeling that you skimmed/read quickly past my post because I give some very solid canonical and thematically correct evidence as to why I'm arguing for paused time during hacking. Please give it a chance, you know? If you did read it already and I'm just being silly, I would honestly really like to know your opinions on all the things I said because I know you disagree by what your posts say, but I don't know why you disagree, and I'm very curious about that, because learning doesn't stop for me at my own opinion. I want to understand further and beyond that. :D
To at least on my part respond to what you did say, I suppose I could argue that just because other video games in the past don't pause time during things like this, doesn't mean that this mechanic can't function this way in CyberPunk2077, especially since Hacking and the way that it is done in CyberPunk2077 is contextually surprisingly rare in video games, (although examples do exist, I don't deny that, but the quality of those examples is poor compared to CyberPunk2077, since 2077 is a drastically better game relatively speaking, from my opinion) I would also make the point that It doesn't really make sense to punish the player for doing something that they are supposed to be doing, or punish the player for doing something they are being provided with great amounts of freedom to do for the sake of realism as defined by the standards of games that are not CyberPunk2077. :think:

Additionally, the world may not stop because the player is in a data terminal, but the players perception of the flow of time in that world may change, such as the Kereznikov ability.

Last edited:
I would honestly really like to know your opinions on all the things I said because I know you disagree by what your posts say, but I don't know why you disagree, and I'm very curious about that, because learning doesn't stop for me at my own opinion.
Basically I have several thematic objections and one mechanical objection.
  1. You can netrun as fast as you can think, but I don't think having nueralware installed should speed up your thought process. You can only netrun as fast as you can think.
  2. Night City is supposed to be a dangerous place, one of the reasons for making the net a fractured place was to make netrunning feel more dangerous. If your basically safe while hacking, it totally defeats that purpose.
  3. Mechanically speaking, it would make netrunners OP. IRL opponent is about to hit me in the face, I'll start netrunning, pause time, hack into his brain and fry him. Not my idea of a balanced game. Would suck if other runs could do it to you. Would suck even more if they couldn't, because then your some uber hacker mary sue. It would make netrunner build almost mandatory.

Basically I have several thematic objections and one mechanical objection.
  1. You can netrun as fast as you can think, but I don't think having nueralware installed should speed up your thought process. You can only netrun as fast as you can think
  2. I'm talking about ordinary hacking, since netrunning requires an icebath and a very different setup/ pre-set location. But even if we are only talking about standard physical terminal or close proximity remote hacking, I would argue that you proved my point there because If we can only hack as fast as we think, and we can think extremely fast because of cybernetic brain implants, fast enough to activate the Kereznikov ability mid combat, and warp our perception of time, then it is also possible during hacking.
  3. Night City is supposed to be a dangerous place, one of the reasons for making the net a fractured place was to make netrunning feel more dangerous. If your basically safe while hacking, it totally defeats that purpose.
  4. You are never safe while hacking, since it was mentioned by people's witness verbal accounts of the private showing of the demo describe a thread of counterhacking to the main character, resulting in the risk of being "fried" since someone or a defense program could hack you from the opposite end of what ever V may be trying to hack.
  5. Mechanically speaking, it would make netrunners OP. IRL opponent is about to hit me in the face, I'll start netrunning, pause time, hack into his brain and fry him. Not my idea of a balanced game. Would suck if other runs could do it to you. Would suck even more if they couldn't, because then your some uber hacker mary sue. It would make netrunner build almost mandatory.
  6. No netrunning, that's a whole different type of hacking. Just standard remote hacking or physical terminal hacking like what was shown in the 50 minute gameplay on youtube. Additionally, in the peoples verbal accounts of the private demo showing, at a certain point during the fight with Sasquach, she instantly starts hacking V mid-fight without stopping her physical assault on V. So I believe we can and should be able to do the same thing back at enemies, since they are in fact (from that point in time at private demo showing at least) able to pause time and hack us while they keep fighting us.
My replies are in bold within your Quote.

My replies are in bold within your Quote.
Netrunning is both while in cyberspace and while in local networks. What Im talking about here is local netwoks.

Additionally, in the peoples verbal accounts of the private demo showing, at a certain point during the fight with Sasquach, she instantly starts hacking V mid-fight without stopping her physical assault on V. So I believe we can and should be able to do the same thing back at enemies, since they are in fact (from that point in time at private demo showing at least) able to pause time and hack us while they keep fighting us.

But if the enemy netrunner could pause time there would be no timer for V. It would happen instatly for them since time is paused. Game over man.

Last edited:
But if the enemy netrunner could pause time there would be no timer for V. It would happen instatly for them since time is paused. Game over man.

I think what he means is that if Hacking is auto for Sasquash during a fight, why should there be a minigames for the player doing the same?

Beside, I think you I don't think the OP is talking about "pause" like you say, but time slow. He even used "LIKE KEREZNIKOV" in the title, which is time slow, not time stop.

I think what he means is that if Hacking is auto for Sasquash during a fight, why should there be a minigames for the player doing the same?
I know what he means, and I agree we should be able to hack others in real time, but it doesn't address the point that I'm making - which is that pausing time while hacking would be a gamebreaker.

For the person being hacked it would mean instantaneous action for which there is no defense. If time is paused there would be no need for a timer ... which indicates that it takes time to hack. If you allow "pausing" real would action while hacking, then time is literally stopped. Having this done too the player in a video game would be just insta-death without warning, and rage inducing. But the other approach (allowing the player to pause IRL action to hack, but not NPCs) would make the hacking build OP. That's my entire point.

Last edited:
I loved in the Last of Us that being in UI and such could get you owned.
yeah, it worked very well there and I loved it. In all survival games a system like that is almost mandatory IMHO. I'm not sure it would work in a frenetic game like CP2077 though, in particular if hacking takes quite a lot of time (you need to solve a minigame and apparentyl it won't be very easy, in an interview a dev said that taking notes on paper could help you).

I know what he means, and I agree we should be able to hack others in real time, but it doesn't address the point that I'm making - which is that pausing time while hacking would be gamebreaker.

For the person being hacked it would mean instantaneous action for which there is no defense. If time is paused there would be no need for a timer ... which indicates that it takes time to hack. If you allow "pausing" real would action while hacking, then time is literally stopped. Having this done too the player in a video game would be just insta-death without warning, and rage inducing. But the other approach (allowing the player to pause IRL action to hack, but not NPCs) would make the hacking build OP. That's my entire point.
And what about time slowing instead of time pause? (if there is minigames of course. I personally, and I suppose it won't surprise you from me, am all for a 100% character based hacking in real time, instead of a player based minigame).
Are you against it too?

I know what he means, and I agree we should be able to hack others in real time, but it doesn't address the point that I'm making - which is that pausing time while hacking would be a gamebreaker.

In that private demo people said that Sasquach did not stop physically attacking the player. Sasquach continued to attack and then suddenly the player was being attacked physically and being hack-attacked at the same time by Sasquach, and there was nothing the player could do except to defeat Sasquach as fast as possible before the hack fried V's brain. Sasquach was able to pause time or significantly slow it down in order to hack the player, and did not appear to stop and sit down and hack for any time at all. The player should be able to also pause time (because of the hack) and hack a character they are fighting back. It's not that time is actually slowed down, it's that thought (mind) and information processing are so high speed that the world around them appears slower, and in that small fraction of a moment a large amount of information processing and computing is done, which is how computers function in real life. Computers do many things in just split nanoseconds, and the computers in CyberPunk2077 will be much more advanced than what we have now, even if there is only a small improvement per-year from 2019 to 2077. Technically and factually speaking, this ability is already available other NPC's and Bosses in the game, so leaving only Player 1 "V" as the only one without that ability would make the game effectively "Broken". I hope this helps. Peace.

Rather, you should be able to multitask. Quickly switch between hacking and shooting during any situation. That way you might get interrupted, have to deal with enemies and continue hacking at the same time.

Rather, you should be able to multitask. Quickly switch between hacking and shooting during any situation. That way you might get interrupted, have to deal with enemies and continue hacking at the same time.
This is a very interesting interpretation of what I'm trying to show already exists within the game. Example:
1. V is fighting Enemy
2. V uses close proximity remote hacking (like in the gameplay we saw earlier, 48 minutes I think it was?)
3. V's perception zooms in to the hacking process, and V's brain's information processing speed goes extremely high, thus creating the appearance of the flow of time for V slowing down considerably, to the point that it appears frozen with small movement (like slug or snail)
4. V completes the hack and V's brain returns to standard levels of functioning and V's perception of the flow of time also returns to ordinary levels.
5. From the enemies perspective, they only saw V continue attacking, Exactly to how V only got to see Sasquach attacking, but the hack still happened. (in peoples verbal accounts of the closed private demo showing)
Saquach can do it, So V can do it, or the game has a fundamental problem.
I hope this helps. Peace :).

Top Bottom