Timeline! 2020 to Cyberpunk RED to Cyberpunk 2077.

+
Well, as Lilayah tells us here and JGray from Rtal also tells us on Discord, 2077 is on a direct timeline from 2020, through Cyberpunk RED.

What does this mean?

That the events you read of here: Days of Future Past are going to be fairly accurate in the 2077 future.

And that the Fourth Corporate War is going to be fairly canon.

NOW. Keep in mind that RED may be clearing up or expanding on some of these things. We don't know yet, since we haven't seen RED yet.

And I for sure wouldn't want to commit CDPR or R.Tal to hard-locking the events of 2020 to their story - especially since history is a funny thing and not everything you read is the 100% factual event.

Much of what you see in 2020 sourcebooks is deliberately open to interpretation (who stepped out of those clone banks under Arasaka Tower for example? What did Rache actually do at the end of the 4th War? ) but lots of it is pretty certain.

50 years between the last of the Cyberpunk 2020 timeline in mid 2020s to Cyberpunk 2077. A lot of ground to cover! What do you think will be in that ground? Who do you think makes it to 2077? Do we finally get hoverbikes at a reasonable price?!

If Alt being able to make clones of people (is still cannon ) who were uploaded then downloaded ( if Rache broke the net ) i still think anyone/ everyone is still in play for 2077. I would love to see some 2020 characters like Alt , Morgan and Johnny Silverhand in 2077 some how. Or V is Alt and Johnny`s child all though V is only 23 in 2077 so maybe i am dreaming unless we go the clone route again.

Alt didn't make clones of people. Maaaaybe Arasaka did using BT tech. Maybe.

After arasaka trapped Alt in the net with Soul Killer , i thought Alt offered to uploaded Johnny`s conscious then download him into a cloned body ( Ghost in the Shellish ).

Without getting into minutia, it's odd how much of 2020 seems intact in 2077 as if RED didn't happen. I wonder if that's the result of a lot of work being done concurrently by RTal and CDPR. Seems unlikely that we'd come largely full circle to rebuilding the 2020 world after (what we know of) the events of RED.

Now obviously, we've seen VERY little of 2077 or RED, but aside from moving the tech forward, we see most of the major Corporate players, locations, some gangs, edgerunner archetypes, etc from 2020 pretty faithfully represented in 2077.

This will be a fun thread. You guys are going to make me dig more of my old books out of boxes.

Night City has certainly changed from 2020 to 2077. If you look at the Metro map from the game trailer, we see districts/suburbs which don't exist in 2020, including Watson (which I can confirm began construction after the 4th Corporate War). It looks like Orbital Air has built a full facility in Night City as well, where before you had to transfer south to LA in order to catch an Orbital Air shuttle.

As for Corps and gangs? It'll be interesting to see what's added and what doesn't appear. I suspect we won't be seeing many Gilligans...

As for Corps and gangs? It'll be interesting to see what's added and what doesn't appear. I suspect we won't be seeing many Gilligans...

I actually had some thoughts on them when curating music suggestions. The concept remains solid even if the name changes.

It makes sense for persecuted groups of any kind to rally together in common defense. Night city can be a savage place. While sexual orientation / gender identity may be much more widely accepted in 2077 thanks to advances in biosculpts, social progress (etc), groups like the Red Chrome Legion still probably exist and lash out violently at anything they determine to be "degenerate" culture. That's part of what I like about Mike's vision of Cyberpunk as a genre... it's inherently misanthropic. PEOPLE are the problem, no matter how much the tech advances.

So it makes sense to me that you could give the concept that underpins the Gilligans a fresh coat of paint in RED and 2077 and just ditch the direct reference to the show. They could be a different type of Posergang or even just a self defense gang. Anyway, the musical themes below will probably explain one possible direction for them better than my words can. Jaime Irrepressible seems like a good archetype.

Last edited:
Now the Frasiers reign supreme!

Top Bottom