Timeline Issues

+
Sure. As I said, still work in progress and I wrote things down as they came without elaborating. Just for order's sake.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...RdyKNow6BQTdVV7apLNzCNt2iY/edit#gid=272620755

A user of a french forum already made a big summary of all you need to know about the books and the game, including a file about the timeline, it may help you but I don't know how to translate it in english because it's pdf:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Yn4rXEjWl_N0tUb0JWOVZla3M/edit

@EliHarel great work, it needs some fixes (when I opened it I noticed you put the moment when Schirrù followed Geralt after the Thanedd coup, that cannot be possible, maybe you got confused about when Schirrù went with Nazair and another guy to set a fire there. So the correct one would be on June.
Since you speak about Tower of the Swallow, I re read it recently, and maybe it's good to add the date when Ciri escaped from Unicorn and got wounded, it should be 23th of September.

With all these links here I'm sure we can sum up a rather complete timeline. :p

If you want, once timeline is complete, you can add it to the wiki even if you are not registered, but I suggest to register so your name will be on the changes log for that page, anyway I (or other admins for wikis in another language) can link the name, so you will be credited, since it's a huge work.
I'll look after the translation in italian of course

@Sephira hey, hey, I have Ciri's escape mentioned! It's even in bold.

About other mistakes - yeah, it's very possible. Since I'm working based on the fan translations I think some things occasionally get mixed up. They're good, they get the job done, but they have a noticeable amount of flaws. As for me - the way I do it is that I write down things as soon as they are mentioned in the book, and I don't stop to see if they make sense or not because I'm mostly just... reading, and I don't want the flow to be interrupted too much. That Schirru thing is one such example - as soon as he mentioned a specific date, I had that urge to write it down as well as what he said, without seeing if it adds up. Maybe once I'm done with the book I'll go over it all, add or remove details and see that things are consistent.

@Sephira hey, hey, I have Ciri's escape mentioned! It's even in bold.

About other mistakes - yeah, it's very possible. Since I'm working based on the fan translations I think some things occasionally get mixed up. They're good, they get the job done, but they have a noticeable amount of flaws. As for me - the way I do it is that I write down things as soon as they are mentioned in the book, and I don't stop to see if they make sense or not because I'm mostly just... reading, and I don't want the flow to be interrupted too much. That Schirru thing is one such example - as soon as he mentioned a specific date, I had that urge to write it down as well as what he said, without seeing if it adds up. Maybe once I'm done with the book I'll go over it all, add or remove details and see that things are consistent.

Pardon, just came back home and I took only a brief look and didn't scrool the list till the end, dishonor on me. Anyway, yeah, I understand, don't interrupt reading that way. It can be confusing.

actually in the early stages of planning a comic adaptation of ToS, so this work you're doing is fantastic for me. Thank you @EliHarel! much gratitude from this end.

Oh, cool. Looking forward to it. I'm done with ToS so don't expect any updates that have to do with it. The only other updates will be from LotL (I don't think I'll have the patience to find specific dates in previous books all over again).

IMO the problem here is trying to add this to the cannon of the witcher books. The games a re completely seperate from the books only using characters and events form the books. I believe I saw or read an interview from CDPR that the games are like an alternate time line based on the books. If you just go by the game lore it's fine.

IMO the problem here is trying to add this to the cannon of the witcher books. The games a re completely seperate from the books only using characters and events form the books. I believe I saw or read an interview from CDPR that the games are like an alternate time line based on the books. If you just go by the game lore it's fine.

Fair enough !
The games still contradict themselves though.
Vernon Roche clearly states that his report details events that happened 5 years earlier, yet the report itself states the year was 1268 when the Rivian pogrom took place.
Since Witcher 2 is set in 1271, it becomes a strange statement.
Perhaps Vernon Roche suffers from a bad case of discalculi, but 1271 -1268 does not equal 5.

Fair enough !
The games still contradict themselves though.
Vernon Roche clearly states that his report details events that happened 5 years earlier, yet the report itself states the year was 1268 when the Rivian pogrom took place.
Since Witcher 2 is set in 1271, it becomes a strange statement.
Perhaps Vernon Roche suffers from a bad case of discalculi, but 1271 -1268 does not equal 5.
Touche. That just looks like a script error.

Yeah, either that, or Vernon made a mistake, which just happens.
In real life people can make mistakes as well, so not everything that is said within the story should be considered fact. Characters could state things that are untrue.

I agree that these games indeed are in their own universe.
Of course they share a heritage with the books, as these have laid the foundation for the story, but the games seem to have minor alterations, and lots of things are actually expanded upon. So even though the games and to books share the same kind of history, there are still a lot of differences to be found.

Andrzej Sapkowski never really paid that much attention to chronology within the books, and the dates we get there don't actually have that much of a context.
A question I asked before within this topic for example is what kind of reckoning is used within the northern kingdoms.
On what event is the year reckoning within the Northern Kingdoms actually based ? Much of this information is vague at best, so we can't really say the year count is accurate.
We also have to remember that the Witcher's world is in a sort of "dark age" state, and that the many kingdoms are constantly in some state of war or turmoil.
This makes it even harder to create a calender without any gaps or holes.

Top Bottom