tired of morkvarg decks

+
OP or no, I don't think a single faction should be capable of cycling through literally their entire deck. There should be an element of luck in card games, but they can always build the optimal board.

I don't even think Morkvarg is that good. I wouldn't waste the 800 scraps on him.

I agree that it's overplayed. But to be honest, I don't really know why people have a problem with it. A mediocre Nilfgaard deck with 3 medics and 3 tossers will crush a Morkvarg deck all day.

Morkvarg is decent, someone may even call him good. Not warrants the crying though.

Let's hope CDPR won't give in and will not nerf/rework on of the best thought cards in the game.

I don't think he's that bad, he's easily countered by just damaging and not killing him. The fact that he returns after each round is proportionate to Resilience, so there's not much of an issue for me there. Discard SK is strong, no doubt about it, but I don't think the problem lies with Morkvarg. HenryGrosmont got it right imo, I think he's a really well thought out card, not overpowered, yet represents his lore perfectly :) Very hard to do in a card game.

frbfree;n8048180 said:
I don't even think Morkvarg is that good. I wouldn't waste the 800 scraps on him.

I agree that it's overplayed. But to be honest, I don't really know why people have a problem with it. A mediocre Nilfgaard deck with 3 medics and 3 tossers will crush a Morkvarg deck all day.

That in of itself is the trouble with it. Its not a overly hard deck to beat. It's just grossly overplayed at most ranks (maybe not the high-high end? idk) and is just leading to really, really boring gameplay when its a safe bet your queuing into the 4th or 5th Bran deck in a row.

Mork himself is annoying sure, but he isnt unstoppable by any means and is a card that fits pretty damn accurate to his lore. Even though im personally hoping they dont whack him with the hammer (he isnt the main issue with the Bran deck anyway.) I have a feeling he's going to get a hard whack in some way or another.

i never said the deck is hard to defeat, i can easily get free rounds against king bran decks just by playing my biting frost... the problem is that they're insanely boring to play against, and are about 70% of my matches at any rank.

morkvarg himself might not be a broken card, but when you factor in longships, shieldsmiths, priestesses, and the ability to cycle through the entire deck, then it becomes a problem...

as i said, they biggest change will probably be to king bran, since having him thin 3 chosen cards from the deck is a ridiculous ability. however, i do foresee a change coming to morkvarg in the future... he might not be overpowered by himself, but that's not the only reason to change a card. you also have to factor in the design space for future cards; which morkvarg mechanic might just be a pain in ass when the time comes...
his ability wouldn't have to be reworked in order to change him, all they'd have to do is remove the ability to continuously buff his base strength. the usual "when X, set base strength to Y" (X probably being "the round ends") (they could even increase his original strength to 7-8 if that's the case)

Last edited:
RickMelethron;n8051610 said:
morkvarg himself might not be a broken card, but when you factor in longships, shieldsmiths, priestesses, and the ability to cycle through the entire deck, then it becomes a problem...

his ability wouldn't have to be reworked in order to change him, all they'd have to do is remove the ability to continuously buff his base strength. the usual "when X, set base strength to 6" (X probably being "the round ends") (they could even increase his original strength to 7-8 if that's the case)
To your first point, true, but that's just an example of discard Skellige, not so much of Mork being overpowered.
And to your second, that's a really good idea. Give him an Ocvist-like effect. Have him respawn with base health unchanged. It would slightly alter the viability of Mardroeme and Clan Tordarroch Shieldsmith, but tbh it sounds like a really good fix change (IF there had to be one, which at the current time, I don't think it's warranted).

Morkvarg was fine back when discard cards and King Bran were not this "good". Basically using King Bran meant that you lose CA for getting a card you want. Right now you can simply play Morkvarg from deck with Bran and it provides really good persistent value across rounds.

As card mechanics change over time, some cards can become a solid part of overpowered combinations and Morkvarg is a stellar example of that. I like its theme of not-dying but being immune to locking and very hard to kill really dwindles your options against it. You can deal with it...that is right but in current version it really performs better then what you expect from a silver card.

frbfree;n8048180 said:

Believe it or not according to my decktracker skellige is my worst matchup as a nilf main. Granted i only run 2 vicovaro medics, still...

DMaster2;n8057910 said:
Believe it or not according to my decktracker skellige is my worst matchup as a nilf main. Granted i only run 2 vicovaro medics, still...

A third Medic would help. And Letho is also huge (though I don't play him). Even if you throw him away in round one to banish Markvar, and lose the round. I also don't play Rot Tossers. Engineers, Medics, Ambassadors. For three apiece. Cynthia, Albrich, Auckes, Cantarella, Cahir, Vilgefortz, Xantharius, and Skellan. And a Treason and Decoy.

And one Biting Frost in the deck can almost guarantee a round after SK passes.

frbfree;n8058130 said:
A third Medic would help. And Letho is also huge (though I don't play him). Even if you throw him away in round one to banish Markvar, and lose the round. I also don't play Rot Tossers. Engineers, Medics, Ambassadors. For three apiece. Cynthia, Albrich, Auckes, Cantarella, Cahir, Vilgefortz, Xantharius, and Skellan. And a Treason and Decoy.

And one Biting Frost in the deck can almost guarantee a round after SK passes.
I don't own Letho otherwise i'd run it asap (instead of triss, hey i do what i can). Mahakam defenders, nekkers, morkarg/olgierd, pavetta, etc... so much you can do to ruin your opponent's plans with him. I'll get my hands on him as soon as i reach 800 scraps.
Discard skellige is nuts atm but i hope they won't nerf morkvarg, i quite like his design.

Top Bottom