> Tiredness of the unachievable...

+
> Greetings, and welcome to my view of a more technical topic regarding the most minimal feature but with huge impact in how a game in general can become a task of an unnecessary enjoyment.

> I want to direct this message to all of you but most important to CDPR, since I have experience the previous installments form the past series, I am going to share some concerns of a simple thing regarding this game, that nobody have talked before.

> And that will be mentioning in a second, first and foremost [cliche] I want to formally, in all honestly, for the first time, thank you guys... for the previous franchise you guys did, you've outdone yourself with those series. And have left me with quite and impression of awe since my first play with the first game. I bring this to conversation because I want to share and have with you CDRPR and the readers a dialog. Because since I play W1 when I bought it in Jul 1, 2017 and W2 up to W3, that currently I am enjoying at the moment.
Madmen.JPG

> The second game left me with a disgusting tiredness of the unnecessarily exploitation of to what I can achieve trough, achievements. I am proud to announce that since I finish the game in 3/6/2018, that day was the date I finish W2 and the date I finally conquered the whole thing as a "Madman". And that date is like a national memorial day for me. It was not easy, but with dedication and temperance I was able to move that mountain. And that same date I start the W3 that I was so eager to play.

> And as you can see, that is what this whole topic is about, most of it. I have now because of W2, developed a semi discomfort relationship with games that create achievements that makes the game feel more like a job instead of an enjoyment. For now on, I can relate to those people who are not fond of such features, when it is being created to over tired the player, with an intention to push it to the capacity to achieve an achievement, that is most likely unachievable, and in cases pointless pointless achievements that at the end it becomes not what it was intended. Always depending on the person of course.

> I am not gonna lie, when I finally finish the game, that achievement became clear from my expression when I finally end it. I truly jump out of my seat screaming of excitement over the achievement I conquer. And at the same time, it became clear the whole point of achievements like that. But it left me to not wanting another experience like that ever again. And with this openness I share with you, I will like if possible. Without looking like a demand, because that is not what I am aiming
for with this post.

> It is more than that, it is to try and add my experience to the idea on how achievements can be handled in this new game. I do not know nothing, but what I do know from experience is the idea of what new different takes can be placed inside the feature of achievements regarding the story most and foremost. Would be good if those achievements are regarding and made for different paths instead of difficulty or skills. That will make a game have more agency over its replay-ability life outside of how many dlc's will be done for its future. And, outside of how many characters I can create and replay this thing over and over again.

> It seems from what I read and see from interviews and articles that you guys are not aiming for the moon with this game. You guys want galaxies and all that surrounds it including the sun. I am going to be real, if you guys add that cliche achievement of finishing the game in the hardest difficulty like the previous game, that will made me want to not buy the game [ah! got ya]... If it is so, ell it is so. I sure will be aiming for that one.

> See, in W3 i have experience this vast task of dependency to acquire these achievements that most of them seem so dependable and I have been on the look out of them. And if you missed them, you have to replay the game over or jump into a save to have the opportunity because such achievement is linked with a particular subject and so forth, or so I am imagining it. So far this hasn't happen to me, very careful her but see... ]Since I start playing the game, I went and research the information in regards of W3 achievements, first I search was the difficulty, and was happy that it doesn't matter if I die, I still can earn the achievement on the highest difficulty. But saw that there is some that acquirers an amount of kills and do overs like... "do 10 of these kill 10 times of that." That is what bothers me, achievements that feels that have no meaning..

> Most of these achievements make the game feel like a complete job, instead of a fun gameplay, a river flow experience when achievements don't come natural. I can imagine and understand that most achievements are "meant to be like that" because after all that is what they are called, and believe me so, I can understand oh I do. I have experience it as I mention before and it does do its work, when you complete that hard or hidden achievement is like you conquer the world.

> But that is my discomfort in this process when playing, when you get too attached to trying to look and search for them and try and try and try and have to be in a certain place linked with a certain mission re role the last save etc. It becomes what I have experience.

> I would want a full on river flow experience with this game a single river flow experience, without me having to worry about when to do them if they are linked or not, because if this game in particular, is aiming to be the ultimate experience that is like that river flow experience that is just let you go and you just let it take you without worrying of any other miscellaneous side task [achievements] it would be such a relive.

> Just don't add them, and if it is more than so [I believe too that it will be] perhaps because it is a demand of steam, make them part of that experience that is cohesive and river flow like, that is a sister, brother to the experience. Connected more to story and reveals.

> Something like this, what about proud story telling achievements in which they carry and tell my story, and so forth in the upcoming stories trough more hours of play I get to know more because of that path I took marked as an achievement?. I feel like that is something that will entice the excitement of something with weight with what particular path of the story is being unfold by you and revolves you, by being marked with that achievement. In my personal experience, would love if all achievements are in regards for story, and so even if they are to be tell in the upcoming future of this game trough dlcs.

> I think this is all I can share, I feel like I discharge that discomfort of the idea of stupid achievements instead of interested ones. But I was wanting to share this. [just being a faucet for a moment] I can't add more all I can... we add a bit is that if this game is focusing on being triple, quadruple in story size and time, and nuance. just make achievements that do not hinder the experience. With repetitiveness.

> Best regards. And honestly can't wait.

Last edited:
Or you could just ignore the achievements for your first playthrough. Have a complete and immersive experience for yourself. How about that? Problem solved.

> Funny @hallfing2080 that can be so.
> But you lost the meaning of my post.
> I am focusing on the regards of the importance and having achievements that have weight and significance trough story telling, besides outside of the obvious "you can play them after your second run"

As an achievement-hunter myself I can sort of agree that the achievements in Witcher 2 were fucking terrifying, but it's totally optional. Witcher 3 was easier to 100%, the "kill x amount of y" are the easiest achievements in the game and will come automatically as you play.

Most of these achievements make the game feel like a complete job, instead of a fun gameplay, a river flow experience when achievements don't come natural.

The ones that come naturally are hardly achievements at all, because you hardly achieved anything. If you don't enjoy them, just don't do them?

difficulty or skills

I think those achievements are the best. Also, it's not like Witcher 3 is a very hard game even on Death March. Personally I find choice-specific achievements the worst, because it makes the choices feel like I'm forced to choose a certain path rather than something I'm supposed to naturally enjoy.

I would want a full on river flow experience with this game a single river flow experience
I feel like I discharge that discomfort of the idea of stupid achievements instead of interested ones.

People, including myself, feel differently on the matter and it sounds like your opinion is they should come so naturally they are no longer achievements but like a gold star for even showing up. You simply don't seem to enjoy the concept of achievements, I was the same before and all I can say is don't do them. I even used to mod games myself to remove the "achievement unlocked!"-things.

If you feel like it's annoying to miss missable achievements but have to do achievements because you're obsessed (like me) might I suggest something like Astats? A lot of the games have guides and/or short notes about achievements being missable or not and almost all "missable" achievements. In Witcher 3 specifically I don't think there was a single time I didn't naturally get achievements simply by doing everything, like doing all side-quests below the main-quests suggested levels.
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/

> I am focusing on the regards of the importance and having achievements that have weight and significance trough story telling, besides outside of the obvious "you can play them after your second run"

No, I didn't miss it, I just think that games have moved past all that. In fact, I don't think achievements matter all that much in today's gaming world like they did 6-7 years back, during the PS3/XBOX360 generation. Back then it was all about 100%ing the game's story and getting that Gold or silver trophy. Needless to say, the times have changed. They're still there for you to achieve 100% completion and get the bragging rights but it serves no other purpose for a game and shouldn't. Can you imagine building a game's story around the idea that people will pick some deeply meaningful choice during dialogues and "we'll reward them an achievement that nobody else, or at least, most people won't ever get"? It'd turn into an unnecessary gimmick.

> Well honestly @hallfing2080.
> I would love if they don't even add them at all.
> If that is so.

Remove them yourself.

Steam:
Turn off Steam overlay by Steam>Settings>In-Game Tab>UNCHECK Enable Steam Community In-Game

GOG:
Download the games through the browser and no achievements will show up.

Maybe it's not the same for me because I don't really care about getting 100% of achievements unless they look fun, I won't spend days/hours grinding for particular achievements if they're boring.

But you don't need to finish all the achievements, if it takes you out of the game to complete them then simply don't.

I like the game having obscure and difficult achievements, however, because sometimes it can motivate you to play differently, or try something that otherwise you wouldn't have even considered.

People, including myself, feel differently on the matter and it sounds like your opinion is they should come so naturally they are no longer achievements but like a gold star for even showing up. You simply don't seem to enjoy the concept of achievements, I was the same before and all I can say is don't do them. I even used to mod games myself to remove the "achievement unlocked!"-things.

If you feel like it's annoying to miss missable achievements but have to do achievements because you're obsessed (like me) might I suggest something like Astats? A lot of the games have guides and/or short notes about achievements being missable or not and almost all "missable" achievements. In Witcher 3 specifically I don't think there was a single time I didn't naturally get achievements simply by doing everything, like doing all side-quests below the main-quests suggested levels.

> Oh no all the difference.

> I do like achievements, I even complete the Dying Light ones.

> Makes the experience have more to do and replay value and all that.

> But, what I try to express here, is the power of acquiring achievements trough story telling, the story of this world... [repeating my self]

> Achievements that even though are like "flow like a river" it wasn't meant to be easy, [i don't want them to be] but it was to convey from what path you take decision you make earn such achievement that marks a story that is your own. When you earn an achievement trough a story, that doesn't mean it has and it will be easy the gameplay is what makes it difficult.

> But rather the continuation of the link trough that choice that is marked as an achievement and therefore is a more substantial earn outside of the obvious cliche achievements that have been done.

I understood your point, and I think you make a good one.

But, maybe add a TL;DR at the bottom, not because the post is long (I write and read long posts all the time) but because it is formatted in such a way that it is a bit hard to read, thus people will get confused.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of wild and crazy achievements. Achievements that are time consuming and hard to get are right up my alley.

But I get what you're asking for - achievements that are more focused around the story, and natural progression. I believe Skyrim actually had a lot of these, no? You get achievements for joining guilds and advancing their stories, for doing some side quests, stuff like that. I would love that sort of thing in 2077, and I think we'll see it, because of how story heavy it will be.

It wasn't all just "play the game on the hardest difficulty without dying once and also shoot 500 deer in the butt" type stuff.

The two achievement types are definitely not mutually exclusive, I'm sure we can have both. :)

What about achievement rewards?

Seriously????
Just play the game/s... Who cares about achievements, only someone with some kind of competition with someone else or that they have some kind of OCD (obsessive Compulsive Disorder) would go for 100% Achievement in a game if they do not find it "fun/rewarding"... Whenever I see a Trophy/Achievement pop up in a game I think what is the point, I don't even read what it was and couldn't care less. It is the dumbest thing ever put into games and it was something developers did to try and make players play the game to the end and artificially make the game "longer"...

I mean why do you care? Do you go to your school or work and talk about some achievement you got in a game for slaying "100 trolls on hard"..

> Why would I be kidding @sleazy89.

> And you missed the point, is not about brag, I am not a bragger, to be honest I do not have friends to brag about such things. Why would you ask me if I care? I wrote the topic for a meaning din't I? @Loki1976. Would ask you the same, just because in the way you just ask me that. Jesus.

Top Bottom