To anyone still in doubt: CDPR said they'll continue working on the game, so it can sell for years

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe CDPR shoulda thought of that before they jabber-jabber-jabbered about everything prior to CP2077's release.
I mean, they did kinda do it to themselves; it didn't have to be this way. If they'd kept their big yaps shut, there wouldn't be so much backlash.
And they did say that, in the future, they won't hype until closer to release, which is good...but...

...but that doesn't make me want to know what's coming any less than I already do. It doesn't make me wonder any less whether it's worth the wait; I'd rather give up completely than be disappointed again.

Again, that's their own fault.

They need to learn how to communicate with the public in ways which actually satisfy them.

But, again, what does that mean? What does any of that mean?

What is their end goal?
They have to tell us and mean it; if they disappoint us again, that's probably it for the company. Goodness knows that this is likely my first and last CDPR game unless something positively dramatic happens to this game in a very, very, very short amount of time. I'm not waiting "years" for them to get their thumb out and make the game they advertised.

...assuming they ever do.

And unless CDPR gives us details or they really, really, really surprise us with released-very-very-soon-now DLC, I will have exactly zero respect for the company and zero money for their products.
If you bought a car that only kinda-sorta worked the way the dealership told you it would, was a pale shadow of the advertising and hype, didn't have the features you'd purchased that were allegedly part of the vehicle, and you were told that the parts to make the car into what you paid for will be here years from now, y'ever buying a car from that company again? Me neither.

CDPR lost the confidence and good will of the gaming community, and to get it back, they'll have to be a lot better about this situation than they have been, and playing one's cards too close to one's chest is a recipe for disaster just as much as it turns out that bragging about stuff that won't be in the game happened to be.

It's not ready now, but they released it anyway.

I've already played through it once; when the game is what we were told we'd be getting, the experience won't be fresh anymore. My first playthrough will never be the game I was told I was getting, and I know all the spoilers already.
It will take a lot from CDPR to make that okay.

What's more to know is how high my hopes should be.

...or how low. Right now, I know nothing but what has happened with Cyberpunk 2077 so far, and it doesn't fill me with confidence.

You don't know me.

What decisions do I have to make?

- Whether to bother playing the game ever again is a biggie. Will the DLC and patches make it worth it?
- Whether to ever trust CDPR ever again is another one. Will their treatment of CP2077 meet my standards of what a company that has royally screwed up ought to be doing to make up for it?
- Whether to ever buy anything from CDPR is that last reason's sibling. I mean, if CP2077 is what I can expect from this company, this much frustration and disappointment after a very, very long wait--the video game equivalent of socks for Christmas--why would I ever even consider buying another of their games? Ever?

You know...little things like that. And I'm sure I'm not the only person making this calculation in their head. CDPR might want to consider people like myself--probably a significant chunk of their player base, if the Steam forums are any indication--when they decide what to say, how much to say, and how to say it.

Just sayin'.

Well, maybe CDPR shoulda thought of that before they jabber-jabber-jabbered about everything prior to CP2077's release.
I mean, they did kinda do it to themselves; it didn't have to be this way. If they'd kept their big yaps shut, there wouldn't be so much backlash.
And they did say that, in the future, they won't hype until closer to release, which is good...but...

...but that doesn't make me want to know what's coming any less than I already do. It doesn't make me wonder any less whether it's worth the wait; I'd rather give up completely than be disappointed again.

They need to learn how to communicate with the public in ways which actually satisfy them.

What is their end goal?
They have to tell us and mean it; if they disappoint us again, that's probably it for the company. Goodness knows that this is likely my first and last CDPR game unless something positively dramatic happens to this game in a very, very, very short amount of time. I'm not waiting "years" for them to get their thumb out and make the game they advertised.

And unless CDPR gives us details or they really, really, really surprise us with released-very-very-soon-now DLC, I will have exactly zero respect for the company and zero money for their products.
If you bought a car that only kinda-sorta worked the way the dealership told you it would, was a pale shadow of the advertising and hype, didn't have the features you'd purchased that were allegedly part of the vehicle, and you were told that the parts to make the car into what you paid for will be here years from now, y'ever buying a car from that company again? Me neither.

CDPR lost the confidence and good will of the gaming community, and to get it back, they'll have to be a lot better about this situation than they have been, and playing one's cards too close to one's chest is a recipe for disaster just as much as it turns out that bragging about stuff that won't be in the game happened to be.

I've already played through it once; when the game is what we were told we'd be getting, the experience won't be fresh anymore. My first playthrough will never be the game I was told I was getting, and I know all the spoilers already.

...or how low. Right now, I know nothing but what has happened with Cyberpunk 2077 so far, and it doesn't fill me with confidence.

You don't know me.

- Whether to bother playing the game ever again is a biggie. Will the DLC and patches make it worth it?
- Whether to ever trust CDPR ever again is another one. Will their treatment of CP2077 meet my standards of what a company that has royally screwed up ought to be doing to make up for it?
- Whether to ever buy anything from CDPR is that last reason's sibling. I mean, if CP2077 is what I can expect from this company, this much frustration and disappointment after a very, very long wait--the video game equivalent of socks for Christmas--why would I ever even consider buying another of their games? Ever?

You know...little things like that. And I'm sure I'm not the only person making this calculation in their head. CDPR might want to consider people like myself--probably a significant chunk of their player base, if the Steam forums are any indication--when they decide what to say, how much to say, and how to say it.

Just sayin'.
Dude, its just a video game. If you don't like it or are frustrated with the game that's totally fine and you're welcome to express your view. Not going to respond back to every point you made in your post, but just not everyone agrees with you...its a video game company and they made a video game. If you don't enjoy it, either get a refund or throw it into the heap and move on.

To stay on topic, they've made sizeable investments and have noted they'll be supporting both IPs for the foreseeable future. Not sure what else there is to discuss on this thread

I don't think this statement is to reassure people who have already given up on the game and won't trust any other words coming from cdpr. It's for the fans and those who is actually hopeful for the game, and maybe investors and journalists.

I don't think this statement is to reassure people who have already given up on the game and won't trust any other words coming from cdpr. It's for the fans and those who is actually hopeful for the game, and maybe investors and journalists.

And right now, I want to be someone who won't give up on the game.

But without more words from CDPR, I don't have the info to make that decision.
And yet, the fact that CDPR won't give us the details I need to make that decision is actually making it easier to make that decision...but not in CDPR's favor.

And right now, I want to be someone who won't give up on the game.

But without more words from CDPR, I don't have the info to make that decision.
And yet, the fact that CDPR won't give us the details I need to make that decision is actually making it easier to make that decision...but not in CDPR's favor.
They've released a general roadmap, done a video on revising parallel development, has released patches, and commented directly to journalists. What else do you want? As I have said in the past if you can't enjoy the game as it is now. I am very doubtful that you would enjoy the game even with proper police system and vehicular AI.

The best thing CDPR can do at this point is keep their cards close. Making promises and putting out roadmaps can only make them look worse when they fail to meet expections, or even their own projected deadlines ;)

They've released a general roadmap

...which says nothing of substance, nothing at all beyond, "We're doin' stuff!"

done a video on revising parallel development

Which still tells us nothing about what to expect from Cyberpunk 2077 in the future other than "stuff".

has released patches

Which addressed bugs, but not missing content or crappy gameplay/interface issues, which are my own pet gripes since the game runs like a dream on my computer.

What else do you want?

I already said: details.
Specifics.

What to expect, not just when to expect it or what kind of thing it might be.

I thought I'd made that abundantly clear, to be honest.

As I have said in the past if you can't enjoy the game as it is now. I am very doubtful that you would enjoy the game even with proper police system and vehicular AI.

...among many other things that were promised, hyped, or mentioned without retraction but which are not in the final game.
Post automatically merged:

The best thing CDPR can do at this point is keep their cards close. Making promises and putting out roadmaps can only make them look worse when they fail to meet expections, or even their own projected deadlines ;)
Then they should make promises and--wait for it!--actually keep them.

That you didn't even list that as an option or a possibility tells me a lot about the expectations of the gaming community, the confidence--or lack thereof--in those producing content for our purchase.

That you didn't even list that as an option or a possibility tells me a lot about the expectations of the gaming community, the confidence--or lack thereof--in those producing content for our purchase.
Easier said than done. I suspect that CDPR has dug themselves such a deep hole, they don't really know what they can accomplish within a given amount of time. We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, what their current developer workforce looks like, or what it will look like in six months or a year.

At this stage, I think it would be better for all parties if they concentrated on fixing the game, whatever that involves. In the end, all that really matters is results.

It should be obvious by now that will never happen.
This, your full post of where this snippet came from and the post this was a reaction to is just one example that proves that doesn't it?
There will always be a small group that complaints because of something. No amount of communication can solve that.
In the end they stated they will support this game for the oncoming years with patches, fixes, dlcs. That should be enough for now. - And if you want to know when they make your favourite Tshirt you wear in the game available in blue.. , or when they will allow you to roam into the oil fields because there common item pickup there ... Well, that level of detail will only come with patchnotes type of delivery which means just before it releases. But definately not months in advance.
That is simply how that works (examples above are merely to illustrate the point)

If you decide to not continue the game on account of the level of info we do have, that is fine.

Then they should make promises and--wait for it!--actually keep them.

I agree with that. However, keep in mind that for as long as they state to support the game they haven't lied yet about that. Just because they are not yet sharing what specifically they add, fix or alter next is no reason to believe they wont, unless you choose to ofcourse.

Last edited:
Contrary to all common wisdom, I'd say that CDPR right now needs to pump out that free DCLs at a fixed schedule WHILE working on the patches.

Cp2077 turned out to be not that generation defining game it was hyped; biggest problem now is that the daily average number of players is less than 10K on Steam and that's not a good sign for a 4 months old game with lot of ambitions. Once they fall off the radar completely, they'll become bargain bin material. All the bad publicity they got so far hasn't been counter balanced by big actions on CDPR behalf. All we got was a big and not yet final patch three months later.

But what's worse is that the first experience for many people was a big let down. Will these people pickup CP2077 again in a near future? Maybe, but the first contact experience for them will be forever ruined. That's why I said that CP2077 risks to become bargain bin material. With everything that happened what are the chances people will flog to a 'complete edition' one or two years from now?

That's why their strategy must be of having content AND patches out at the same time. That's said, I don't expect a big change in the mechanics meaning that the fundamental problems of the game will be here to stay but at least CDPR could say to have remedied to an embarrassing situation (right now the game is still broken for too many people).

Contrary to all common wisdom, I'd say that CDPR right now needs to pump out that free DCLs at a fixed schedule WHILE working on the patches.
I am afraid that will lead to the exact same situation as we got in december last year.
Dlc and/or cut content may not exist yet, or not existnin the way it would work with the current game. I also believe I read once that much stuff that was cut (while meant to be in the game) was done because it was broken beyond belief. So making all that content simply cannot follow such iterative schedule.
It would not surprise me that many things somehow work in sync with other element of code and whatnot.

Ultimately that leads me to be of the opinion: rather they not communicate much or even at all, and just work on the game and 'surprise' me when something is ready to be shipped sort to speak.

But what's worse is that the first experience for many people was a big let down. Will these people pickup CP2077 again in a near future? Maybe, but the first contact experience for them will be forever ruined. That's why I said that CP2077 risks to become bargain bin material. With everything that happened what are the chances people will flog to a 'complete edition' one or two years from now?
From what I hear FO76 is still played quite steongly andbthat game has (and should) receive a great deal more flak than CP.
And keep in mind the weird shenanigans FO76 has done in the year that followed its release, CDPR have only yet undertaken the steps to try and fix, not entered in even more insults such as paywall crap, paid subs and so on.

So I'm not too worried about that just yet.

Last edited:
It should be obvious by now that will never happen.

It's obvious that it's not happening.

Doesn't mean it can't.

There will always be a small group that complaints because of something. No amount of communication can solve that.

No, but it's also not a binary set; they could certainly reduce the number of people complaining by being more forthright with us.

In the end they stated they will support this game for the oncoming years with patches, fixes, dlcs. That should be enough for now.

I...don't think what's 'enough' is up to anybody but the individual beholder.
To me, 'enough' is descriptions of those patches, fixes, and DLCs, even if only an idea of what to expect.

"The DLC will include new missions, new vehicles, new weapons, and new clothing. Don't get too excited, it's not a huge addition, but we think you'll dig it." <--- that is enough. That will have me going, "Oh. I see. Maybe not entirely what I wanted, but at least now my expectations are managed and I'm not going to be disappointed when it isn't a complete overhaul of the AI or a working, first-person monorail."

I don't think that's asking too much, just a laundry list of items--or even just types of items--that we can expect, so we don't build it up too much in our minds or hope for something that wasn't even considered by CDPR. That's all. Just so I'm not going, "What's coming? Is it worth it? Should I keep hoping? Will they address the game's deficiencies which I've most prioritized or will I be disappointed?"

I just hate not knowing.

- And if you want to know when they make your favourite Tshirt you wear in the game available in blue.. , or when they will allow you to roam into the oil fields because there common item pickup there ... Well, that level of detail will only come with patchnotes type of delivery which means just before it releases. But definately not months in advance.

Actually, just, "Yeah, we're adding clothing customization," or, "Stores will not merely carry items but allow you to browse the skins for them, too," and I'll be a happy camper, at least on that front. That's all...it doesn't have to show every last pixel that will be changing, but just some small preview of what's on the way.

If you decide to not continue the game on account of the level of info we do have, that is fine.

Thing is, I didn't say that. I said something similar to that, but not that.

What I said is that I don't know whether I should abandon the game, and the information we've gotten from CDPR hasn't helped me decide yet; knowing what they have planned for the future, however, will help me decide.

And the suspense is killing me.

I agree with that. However, keep in mind that for as long as they state to support the game they haven't lied yet about that. Just because they are not yet sharing what specifically they add, fix or alter next is no reason to believe they wont, unless you choose to ofcourse.

I don't think I said they lied [...] just that they're not being upfront enough with us.

Their communications since the game's release have felt like watching politicians trying to weasel out of being caught in a sex scandal, that level of speaking-a-lot-without-saying-anything.

But what's worse is that the first experience for many people was a big let down. Will these people pickup CP2077 again in a near future? Maybe, but the first contact experience for them will be forever ruined.

Jeepers. It's like you read my mind.
Well, and I did kinda say almost exactly that sentiment; maybe you read my words instead of my mind.
Either way, have one of those Red Points thingies. :cool:
That's said, I don't expect a big change in the mechanics meaning that the fundamental problems of the game will be here to stay

Well, that could be a real problem for some people.

A lot of the game mechanics are just plain broken, others are primitive to where you'd think this game was made 15 years ago.
If CDPR can't basically tear down and replace what's under the game's hood, I'm not sure those folks who might not come back after the disastrous release will definitely not come back if those problems are left untended, unrepaired.

but at least CDPR could say to have remedied to an embarrassing situation (right now the game is still broken for too many people).

Good news, bad news: the game runs like a dream on my machine and has since the first hotfix...but that means that the missing content and features which form the core of my own disappointment are simply not CDPR's focus right now, based on what they've been saying. Thus, another source of my irritation with CDPR.

Ultimately that leads me to be of the opinion: rather they not communicate much or even at all, and just work on the game and 'surprise' me when something is ready to be shipped sort to speak.

That's exactly the opposite of what I want. I don't want to be surprised in the least.
I want to know what's coming so I can be ready.

Maybe I can explain a little better with a story: Prior to the game's release, I was talking to people on the Steam forums about what we might expect from the game. One user had done this huge deep-dive into every scrap of information on CP2077, including spoilers, and would answer absolutely every question anybody had.
Do you remember one of the promos that sure did make it sound like every NPC had a daily routine, and lots of us thought that each NPC was a fully functioning AI that would wake up, go to work, eat meals, that kind of thing...? It sounded like we could pick some rando on the street, follow them around, and watch them go about their day like it was TheSims or some crap. Well, that's obviously not the case.
And that one user on the Steam forum knew it after doing the research and set us all straight prior to the game's release. Same with how little effect choosing a lifepath really would have on the macro level, that we all basically ended up a Streetkid with Jackie, no matter how we started out. That kind of thing.

Now, I was way disappointed about some of this. However, I'm very glad I knew about it before the game came out. Can you imagine if I went in expecting such a detailed AI engine and instead saw...well, the braindead circus that is in the game? Ohhh, I'd be @#$%ing incensed. But because I was prepared, my expectations properly managed, it was only a minor disappointment; I wasn't completely psyched when my hopes were dashed.

That's why I don't want to be surprised: it makes disappointment so much worse.

Last edited:

What is their end goal?

You don't know me.

Just sayin'.
In short, "yes, they done goofed" but - without access to a time machine - they can't fix those mistakes now, they can only fix them in the future.

When talking about "end goals", well the end goal of any business is to make money 🧐. In the case of game developers that's by ensuring lots of people buy the games, and thus it's to make games people want to play. CDPR have taken a major reputational hit on this one. Whatever their next major releases are will not sell so well unless they have also repaired people's trust, by making big improvements to CP2077.

Now about the practical decisions you can make right now, today, based on the information CDPR have put out, there aren't any really.
  • Do you bother playing the game again? Well, you make that decision when you make it, based on the state of the game at the time. You already bought it so you could start a new play-through today, next month or next year or never. Just because you don't want to today, doesn't mean you have to decide now that you won't want to play it this time next year.
  • Do you trust CDPR? Well again that's a time/state dependent decision. Today you clearly do not. But you can make that decision again at any time. Perhaps they'll release the sunshine and rainbows patch in October, which does everything you ever wanted and you change your mind. Perhaps they won't, or perhaps it'll be earlier or later than October. Opinions can change and they don't have to be formed once then held forever.
  • Do you buy CDPR's next game? You can't possibly make that decision now. You can only make it when "their next game" is actually on sale.
This is sort-of the definition of patience. No use fretting about something that hasn't happened yet. You don't have sufficient information to make useful plans for the future yet. So, the best course of action is not to try and plan for the future. If you don't like the game as it stands now, don't play it, come back to it after a future patch, at the time that patch is released.

When (in several years I imagine) CDPR's next big game is released, sure think back to how you feel now. Also remember any improvements made to CP2077 between now and then and make your mind up then.

I'm certainly likely to play things differently in the future. I'm likely to postpone buying for at least 6 months (maybe 12) after launch so that there's been a good long period for bug fixes and improvements.

In short, "yes, they done goofed" but - without access to a time machine - they can't fix those mistakes now, they can only fix them in the future.

True.

But they're not telling us how they'll be fixed or even if they'll be fixed (by which I mean specific items; obviously CDPR has said they'll be doing something, but not really what.

When talking about "end goals", well the end goal of any business is to make money

Oh, come now. You know perfectly well I meant the end goal for CP2077, the game, not for CDPR, the company.

Whatever their next major releases are will not sell so well unless they have also repaired people's trust, by making big improvements to CP2077.

Agreed.

Now about the practical decisions you can make right now, today, based on the information CDPR have put out, there aren't any really.
Do you bother playing the game again?

I want to. I really do.

Do you trust CDPR? Well again that's a time/state dependent decision. Today you clearly do not.

True.

But you can make that decision again at any time. Perhaps they'll release the sunshine and rainbows patch in October, which does everything you ever wanted and you change your mind. Perhaps they won't, or perhaps it'll be earlier or later than October.

Yes, well, I think the point is that right now the ball is in CDPR's court.
And they're talking a lot about the game, but I don't really see them winding up to serve.

Do you buy CDPR's next game? You can't possibly make that decision now. You can only make it when "their next game" is actually on sale.

I can make that decision right now, the same way I decided to never again watch Disney Star Wars after I got burned twice on "The Force Awakens" and "Rogue One"; after those fiascos, I decided to be a Lucas-purist and resolved to not waste my time or money on Disney again.

Now... CP2077 is my first CDPR game; I know a lot of others played the heck out of The Witcher, but I'm more of a spaceships-and-laser-guns kinda girl. And I don't have the kind of attachment to either of them that I do with Star Wars (wanna see the tattoo?) which was a staple of my childhood.
It would be really easy to tell CDPR to hit the bricks outta my life; it'd be just like everything was prior to CP2077...except for the memories of being burned by CDPR when it came to Cyberpunk.

So I actually can make that decision right now. And have seriously considered it when the topic came up.

This is sort-of the definition of patience.

patience
noun
- a minor form of despair disguised as a virtue
(source: The Devil's Dictionary)

No use fretting about something that hasn't happened yet.

Sure there is.
That's why people have Disaster Readiness Kits. And lifeguards.

You don't have sufficient information to make useful plans for the future yet.

That's the part I'm actually "fretting" about: insufficient information.

I hate being kept in the dark.
Heck, I hate those scenes in movies where all of the characters see some big reveal, but the stupid director makes us watch a minute or two of them gaping like fish at something we the audience don't get to see, and I'm all, "Get on with it!"
Sure, they wanted to build suspense, but all they managed was making me grumpy.

So, the best course of action is not to try and plan for the future. If you don't like the game as it stands now, don't play it, come back to it after a future patch, at the time that patch is released.

Truth is, though, that the minor and potentially forlorn hope that CDPR will eventually come through for us will still be there; it's not exactly voluntary.
Even knowing I should just give up would be better than Not Knowing™ a darn thing like this. If they'd just come out and say, "Yeah, here is a list of all of the features we hyped but which we've abandoned entirely; do not hope for them in the future," and I could read that list, it'd give me a good idea of what to do.
And it'd be a relief to abandon all hope of a good CP2077, just as much as it'd be a relief to hear that they're going to make the game into exactly what I wanted all along using high-tech mind-reading techniques and advanced AI coding.
Or something in between.

But the not-knowing is an itch I can't scratch, and it won't go away if I just try to pretend it's not there.

When (in several years I imagine) CDPR's next big game is released, sure think back to how you feel now. Also remember any improvements made to CP2077 between now and then and make your mind up then.

Mmmmmm....no. That's just not how my brain operates.

If CDPR doesn't bring Cyberpunk up to snuff, their next game won't even cross my radar. Or, if it does, I'll see who made it, go, "Pffft!" and click away.
Actually, no; I take that back. If CDPR just comes out and tells us what's planned, and it includes huge portions of what they showed but didn't deliver, that'll go a long way to me thinking I might purchase another CDPR product in the future. And actually following through on those promises would help even more.

But, seriously... if a car company produced a lemon like CP2077 after hyping the crap out of it, nobody would buy their other cars, either.
And I haven't played No Man's Sky since a month or two after its release, either.
Companies don't get a lot of chances with me when they haven't already proved themselves in the past, I'll admit.

I'm certainly likely to play things differently in the future. I'm likely to postpone buying for at least 6 months (maybe 12) after launch so that there's been a good long period for bug fixes and improvements.

And I take that same attitude, as well...I just take it much further, to where waiting at least 6 months becomes waiting at least forever because CDPR didn't fix the first game of theirs I bought, and so I don't trust them to make quality products.

Last edited:
True.

But they're not telling us how they'll be fixed or even if they'll be fixed (by which I mean specific items; obviously CDPR has said they'll be doing something, but not really what.

Oh, come now. You know perfectly well I meant the end goal for CP2077, the game, not for CDPR, the company.

Agreed.

I want to. I really do.

True.

Yes, well, I think the point is that right now the ball is in CDPR's court.
And they're talking a lot about the game, but I don't really see them winding up to serve.

I can make that decision right now, the same way I decided to never again watch Disney Star Wars after I got burned twice on "The Force Awakens" and "Rogue One"; after those fiascos, I decided to be a Lucas-purist and resolved to not waste my time or money on Disney again.

Now... CP2077 is my first CDPR game; I know a lot of others played the heck out of The Witcher, but I'm more of a spaceships-and-laser-guns kinda girl. And I don't have the kind of attachment to either of them that I do with Star Wars (wanna see the tattoo?) which was a staple of my childhood.
It would be really easy to tell CDPR to hit the bricks outta my life; it'd be just like everything was prior to CP2077...except for the memories of being burned by CDPR when it came to Cyberpunk.

So I actually can make that decision right now. And have seriously considered it when the topic came up.

patience
noun
- a minor form of despair disguised as a virtue
(source: The Devil's Dictionary)

Sure there is.
That's why people have Disaster Readiness Kits. And lifeguards.

That's the part I'm actually "fretting" about: insufficient information.

I hate being kept in the dark.
Heck, I hate those scenes in movies where all of the characters see some big reveal, but the stupid director makes us watch a minute or two of them gaping like fish at something we the audience don't get to see, and I'm all, "Get on with it!"
Sure, they wanted to build suspense, but all they managed was making me grumpy.

Truth is, though, that the minor and potentially forlorn hope that CDPR will eventually come through for us will still be there; it's not exactly voluntary.
Even knowing I should just give up would be better than Not Knowing™ a darn thing like this. If they'd just come out and say, "Yeah, here is a list of all of the features we hyped but which we've abandoned entirely; do not hope for them in the future," and I could read that list, it'd give me a good idea of what to do.
And it'd be a relief to abandon all hope of a good CP2077, just as much as it'd be a relief to hear that they're going to make the game into exactly what I wanted all along using high-tech mind-reading techniques and advanced AI coding.
Or something in between.

But the not-knowing is an itch I can't scratch, and it won't go away if I just try to pretend it's not there.

Mmmmmm....no. That's just not how my brain operates.

If CDPR doesn't bring Cyberpunk up to snuff, their next game won't even cross my radar. Or, if it does, I'll see who made it, go, "Pffft!" and click away.
Actually, no; I take that back. If CDPR just comes out and tells us what's planned, and it includes huge portions of what they showed but didn't deliver, that'll go a long way to me thinking I might purchase another CDPR product in the future. And actually following through on those promises would help even more.

But, seriously... if a car company produced a lemon like CP2077 after hyping the crap out of it, nobody would buy their other cars, either.
And I haven't played No Man's Sky since a month or two after its release, either.
Companies don't get a lot of chances with me when they haven't already proved themselves in the past, I'll admit.

And I take that same attitude, as well...I just take it much further, to where waiting at least 6 months becomes waiting at least forever because CDPR didn't fix the first game of theirs I bought, and so I don't trust them to make quality products.
Once again I largely agree. I think it's unfortunate that it's human nature to fret about the unknown, when there is no really meaningful action which could be taken whether you have the knowledge or not.

If you planted a tomato plant, you're not expecting the plant to tell you the exact day it's going to bear fruit or give you specs on the size/sweetness of that fruit. You just leave the darn thing alone until you either get fruit or it withers and dies (well, there watering it and stuff, but that's why I'm not a gardener). There's nothing to gain in worrying each day whether you've got fruit or not, because you have no direct control over the production of fruit and it happens when it happens. Perhaps if it's been a whole year without fruit you'll decide to throw it in the trash because it's wasting space, or maybe you'll plant it outside where it needs less attention.

That's what I recommend with CP2077 right now. If you don't like the game you have right now then pay it less attention. You're going to get very little more info any time in the near-future. Subscribe to the official email list if not already, so that when further information is available you are the first to hear. Assuming you've played all the way through already, getting a refund is not available to you, and so decisions/actions like "buy the DLC" or "buy a future CDPR game" are not available to you either, because neither of those things exist yet.

You're not the only one whose mind "doesn't work that way", and that's fine, it's just how a huge segment of humanity works. That's a shame IMO but oh well, there's no solution to that without personafix chips.

On the more realistic front/different subject, "delivering what they promised" is just plain unlikely to be possible. "Packaged software" development (like games) is a double-edged sword. In order to generate interest/hype/market your future product, you must tease it with proof-of-concept/pre-release content and talk-up your planned features. Actually developing and integrating those features into a product is another thing altogether.

For background I'm a software development lead; I don't work in the games industry but I do work on packaged software. I often run up against instances where I found that our product plan (or worse, marketing material) indicates that we will ship with some features in a specific release. We do a bit of serious investigation on "what it will really cost to develop that feature" and we discover that it's actually way way higher than we first estimated. Like "We can have feature X, but in order to pay for developing it, you'll need to either double the price we charge customers or we have to cut feature Y".

In fact, after my lunch break is over I'm about to go and speak to my Product Owner about one such (small) instance of just that. We thought we could do it, turns out we can't without prohibitive extra costs, are they sure we still want to do this, knowing that it's going to cost a lot more than we originally thought? This happens all of the time in software projects, it's just business as usual.

This takes me back to my original point: "Damned if you do, damned if you don't".
  • If CDPR talk up everything they are doing with detail then they satisfy inquisitive minds and continue to generate hype. This approach risks turning them into "accidental liars" though, if it turns out that they can't deliver everything they promised. It's not just about pushing the release back either. Later release means more time spent by the devs working on it. Let me tell you right now, us developers don't work for free ;)
  • If CDPR hold their cards close to their chest then they don't risk over-promising. They can make sure that they can fit what they actually deliver into the time & costs of delivering it, even late-in-the-day. On the other hand, they aren't generating hype/marketing because there are no new talking points. And of course, as time goes on people can eventually become anxious about what's going on at all.
It reminds me the difference in jobs between Sales/Marketing and then Account Management. They're sometimes at cross-purposes because on one side there's trying to promise the moon on a stick in order to get the sale, and on the other side there's expectation management of trying to keep customers happy with the product they already bought (and persuading them to buy future products).

Right now CDPR are in a hole and the only "good" solution involves owning a time machine or being able to hire 500 extra devs who come up to speed on a project instantly and who will all work for pocket change. Unfortunately we're stuck with the solutions we've got.

I'm personally happier having no information than incorrect information. With no information i can just stop thinking about it. I've put my tomato plant in the greenhouse with an automated sprinkler system and it needs no maintenance. Maybe I'll get tomatoes in a few months, maybe I won't. What I would hate is for the tomato plant to promise me that it'll sprout two plump tomatoes and three bananas in precisely 2 months time. I'd be happy now (wow, I love bananas) but I'd be much more disappointed in 2 months when it doesn't happen.

CP2077 is an RPG as much as an FPS, and in modern RPGs "equipment upgrades" (and thus loot) are a core part of the formula.
ahahahah what? "Modern RPGs" such as? You recommended me Far Cry, but Far Cry New Dawn has literally the same mechanics as this game. Looter shooter mechanics have NOTHING to do with role playing games. It's just a system for loot forumla and equipment stats. All the actual RPGs: Fallout 4 (it was a step down from previous Fallouts, but its still a better RPG when compared to CB2077), New Vegas, Underrail, Divinity, Baldurs Gate etc. have normal equipment progression.

I am excited. I just hope they stick with how the game is now and not completely move over to PVP or the like. Tome Clancy's - The Division started out as an awesome RPG type game with a really indepth story line and fun "quest" type experience, than 6 months after launch they scrapped it, dumbed it down and focused on the dead zone (pvp) and turned it into garbage.

I can't quite say that I'm seeing any details to be hyped about here. It only says that they want to sell more copies, which is quite natural. They already said they were proud of the game back in January.

Anyway, I'll probably give the game another go when all the dlc's are released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom