To anyone still in doubt: CDPR said they'll continue working on the game, so it can sell for years

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again I largely agree. I think it's unfortunate that it's human nature to fret about the unknown, when there is no really meaningful action which could be taken whether you have the knowledge or not.

I've heard people say things like this to me before, and the one thing I see missing from the reply is the notion of 'planning for the future'.
I don't even need to take action; I just want to start planning.

Yanno? It's like at boardgame nights: while I'm waiting for everybody else to take their turns, I'm already planning out what I'm likely to do when my turn comes around again. Sure, I don't know what the other players are gonna do, but I can at least come to some reasonable hypotheses, enough to begin thinking strategy.

I just wanna plan my next move while CDPR is taking theirs.

If you planted a tomato plant, you're not expecting the plant to tell you the exact day it's going to bear fruit or give you specs on the size/sweetness of that fruit.

No. I wouldn't. That's true.

However, I would ask the farmer from whom I purchase vegetables about things like the state of the crops, growth techniques, whether they use GMO or apply pesticides, when they think their next crop might be and what to expect from the yield...just so I can start thinking about whether I might have to go to a supermarket instead of a farmer's market.

Y'see.

There's nothing to gain in worrying each day whether you've got fruit or not, because you have no direct control over the production of fruit and it happens when it happens.

Doesn't mean you can't check on it. Doesn't mean you can't see how things are progressing before harvest time.
And getting those updates will give you an idea of what the final yield might be.

That's all I'm asking for.

That's what I recommend with CP2077 right now.

Well, I'm not really looking for suggestions.

Just information.

If you don't like the game you have right now then pay it less attention.

But I want to like the game.

And, unlike much of life, what it would take to make me happy with CP2077 can be easily quantified and easily described using nothing more than CDPR's own promotional material. I just need to know whether I should hope for it or not.

Disappoint me now, please, if yer gonna, so I can know whether to just move on.

You're going to get very little more info any time in the near-future.

And, so too will CDPR be getting very little of my cash any time in the, well, ever.

I'm not gonna organize some sort of protest or petition, but I'm quite certain I'm not alone in this attitude; they only get so many chances before it's too-little-too-late. I just want them to kill the suspense and tell us now.

Subscribe to the official email list if not already, so that when further information is available you are the first to hear.

And still maintain a forlorn hope of a CP2077 that resembles the hype.

I want to douse that flame of hope in a way that isn't basically gaslighting myself into thinking none of it matters (when it so totally does). Or to stoke it, should CDPR somehow pull their nuts out of this fire.

On the more realistic front/different subject, "delivering what they promised" is just plain unlikely to be possible.

And I want them to tell me that now, so I'm not hoping for it.

I don't know how many times I can say that before it sinks in, but I'll say it again: I'd rather be disappointed forever now than a constant cycle of hope and disappointment until I finally hand CDPR their walking papers.

"Packaged software" development (like games) is a double-edged sword. In order to generate interest/hype/market your future product, you must tease it with proof-of-concept/pre-release content and talk-up your planned features. Actually developing and integrating those features into a product is another thing altogether.

And if CDPR hadn't been screaming about CP2077 from the rooftops for the better part of a decade, maybe that wouldn't have been a problem, leaving out one or two features.
And they know this; they've explicitly said they'll keep to hype down until just before release. Good.

But that's then. This is now. And now, CDPR has a lot of fires to put out.
The complete lack of detail about what to expect in the future is a big one.

For background I'm a software development lead

I'm an animator who has done cut-scene scripting and level design for games as well as art-side developer support for a licensable engine.

I mean, if we're presenting credentials and all for context; not trying to start a dick-sizing contest. :)

If CDPR talk up everything they are doing with detail then they satisfy inquisitive minds and continue to generate hype. This approach risks turning them into "accidental liars" though, if it turns out that they can't deliver everything they promised.

It'd be enough to say what we won't be getting, to be honest.

Cuz that's the big problem with CP2077 right now: missing features and content. Stuff they told us about that isn't there.
If they went through a laundry list of such items and gave each a "Yes", "Maybe", or "No", I'd be happy.

If they want to surprise me with stuff I'm not expecting, that'd be great!
It's the stuff I was expecting (because of the hype) and didn't get that's at issue, here.

If CDPR hold their cards close to their chest then they don't risk over-promising.

That ship has obviously sailed.

Over-correcting and telling us nothing is just as bad after a fiasco like this one.
It'd be fine for a product that hadn't shipped yet, but with CP2077, you have a lot of very angry people who feel lied to and robbed; keeping them in suspense is probably the wrong way to go, moving forward. It won't build back the good will CDPR lost.

They should keep their mouths shut about future products, but for CP2077, give us some way to think we haven't been forgotten that goes beyond merely saying it.

Right now CDPR are in a hole and the only "good" solution involves owning a time machine or being able to hire 500 extra devs who come up to speed on a project instantly and who will all work for pocket change. Unfortunately we're stuck with the solutions we've got.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep their disaffected customers in the dark.

I don't know about you, but when I'm cranky and in an information blackout, I get exponentially crankier the longer I have to wait.
On the other hand, when I know what I'm waiting for, how long I have to wait, and why I have to wait, I'm the most patient and tolerant person you ever met. The x-factor, here, is being and staying informed.

I'm personally happier having no information than incorrect information. With no information i can just stop thinking about it.

Well, I can't. I'm not wired like that.

I can stop thinking about it when I have sufficient information.
With insufficient information, it's like an itch I can't scratch. It's not voluntary; I can't just ignore it.

I've put my tomato plant in the greenhouse with an automated sprinkler system and it needs no maintenance.

No. You haven't.

Other people are claiming to have planted something in a greenhouse, but they're not telling you what it is or when to expect it to be ripe.
That's the problem.

That's exactly the opposite of what I want. I don't want to be surprised in the least.
I want to know what's coming so I can be ready.

Maybe I can explain a little better with a story: Prior to the game's release, I was talking to people on the Steam forums about what we might expect from the game. One user had done this huge deep-dive into every scrap of information on CP2077, including spoilers, and would answer absolutely every question anybody had.
Do you remember one of the promos that sure did make it sound like every NPC had a daily routine, and lots of us thought that each NPC was a fully functioning AI that would wake up, go to work, eat meals, that kind of thing...? It sounded like we could pick some rando on the street, follow them around, and watch them go about their day like it was TheSims or some crap. Well, that's obviously not the case.
And that one user on the Steam forum knew it after doing the research and set us all straight prior to the game's release. Same with how little effect choosing a lifepath really would have on the macro level, that we all basically ended up a Streetkid with Jackie, no matter how we started out. That kind of thing.

Now, I was way disappointed about some of this. However, I'm very glad I knew about it before the game came out. Can you imagine if I went in expecting such a detailed AI engine and instead saw...well, the braindead circus that is in the game? Ohhh, I'd be @#$%ing incensed. But because I was prepared, my expectations properly managed, it was only a minor disappointment; I wasn't completely psyched when my hopes were dashed.

That's why I don't want to be surprised: it makes disappointment so much worse.
Big post, I do want to react to this bit first. because I think it allows for a good enough bridge between all the rest. (in my mind at least)
first and foremost: you're all too welcome to be of mind that you dont want the surprise as how I described ;) I would never tell you that you can't
In fact, it would be all too logical, so many people, equally as many opinions and preferences.

Reason why I presumably look at it completely from the opposite direction is that I had deliberately not looked at any news outlets regarding cyberpunk and I went into the game virtually blind. It leaves me free from any form of preconceived expectations or other and allows me to judge the game at my own pace (which I have, believe me). This is also the way how I prefer to go through my games, fresh from any potential tainting.
It's obvious that it's not happening.
Doesn't mean it can't.
No, but it's also not a binary set; they could certainly reduce the number of people complaining by being more forthright with us.
Fair enough, its not impossible, but seeing how many differing reactions and opinions there are about this game, I doubt its possible the get everyone satisfied. I fear that is the reality of things. I don't know how many people have as complaint that they feel left in the dark. but I get the impressions its fairly split down the middle. So you can see my reasoning I hope.
I...don't think what's 'enough' is up to anybody but the individual beholder.
To me, 'enough' is descriptions of those patches, fixes, and DLCs, even if only an idea of what to expect.
Fair enough. I also didn't mean to imply otherwise. What I tried to say is that if CDPR believes that is sufficient, then we have to accept that. We may not like it, but there it is.
"The DLC will include new missions, new vehicles, new weapons, and new clothing. Don't get too excited, it's not a huge addition, but we think you'll dig it." <--- that is enough. That will have me going, "Oh. I see. Maybe not entirely what I wanted, but at least now my expectations are managed and I'm not going to be disappointed when it isn't a complete overhaul of the AI or a working, first-person monorail."

I don't think that's asking too much, just a laundry list of items--or even just types of items--that we can expect, so we don't build it up too much in our minds or hope for something that wasn't even considered by CDPR. That's all. Just so I'm not going, "What's coming? Is it worth it? Should I keep hoping? Will they address the game's deficiencies which I've most prioritized or will I be disappointed?"

I just hate not knowing.
Actually, just, "Yeah, we're adding clothing customization," or, "Stores will not merely carry items but allow you to browse the skins for them, too," and I'll be a ha
I suspect they will come out with info on that at some point, but is it realistic to ask this right now? Seeing as how we just have had patch 1.2 and hotfix 1.21 (which I didn't expect tbh) If they release such info now and it takes 2 months before it arrives ... I fear that would incite a repeat of the initial release. y'know, the workings of the socalled hypetrain.
Also, a laundrylist is also potentially a long list and as such premature. I refer back to my earlier point of: "CDPR believes that is sufficient, then we have to accept that."
Also, to be clear: I agree with you that in essnce such info would be sufficient, I personally do not necesarily need that info to bide my time, but I can understand other may want to.
camper, at least on that front. That's all...it doesn't have to show every last pixel that will be changing, but just some small preview of what's on the way.
Thing is, I didn't say that. I said something similar to that, but not that.
What I said is that I don't know whether I should abandon the game, and the information we've gotten from CDPR hasn't helped me decide yet; knowing what they have planned for the future, however, will help me decide.
All I could say to that is: do you currently enjoy the game? or maybe more specifically: do you enjoy the game still even if you would have already completed it? Personally I do not really see why it matters to know what type of dlc (or other) comes out when.
I don't think I said they lied [...] just that they're not being upfront enough with us.

Their communications since the game's release have felt like watching politicians trying to weasel out of being caught in a sex scandal, that level of speaking-a-lot-without-saying-anything.
I also didn't say that you did, I just said that so long as they said to keep working and supporting the game, there's no reason that they dont. I actually fell for exactly the 'trap' I was trying the explain by stating how something can be taken way out of context. You have probably seen more of the reactions as I have and therefore probably also seen how quickly something is defined a certain way, even though its not really that. I perhaps also shouldn't have used the word 'lie', becasue it creates ill-intended message while I didn't mean to (nor that you would be of that opinion)
Good news, bad news: the game runs like a dream on my machine and has since the first hotfix...but that means that the missing content and features which form the core of my own disappointment are simply not CDPR's focus right now, based on what they've been saying. Thus, another source of my irritation with CDPR.
Would you believe me I am equally pleased with my experience on BOTH my PC (where everything is currently set to medium, but otherwise the game runs just fine, but also my base PS4, where I actually prefer to do much more driving ;)
I do understand your 'disappointment' because many of the game performance issues, fixes and everything is also something I have rarely experienced. so up to this point they ahve potentially added little for me.. The revamp of how clothing stores work and some slightQOL improvements are about the extend for me also. Yet, they to not -how do you say- detract me from having fun with playing the game I currently have.

And the suspense is killing me.
Sorry *blush*. can't help you there :)
Post automatically merged:

oof, this was a damn long post to splice and try to answer, but I wanted to do it properly.

I hope they do something about the different gangs that operate in Night city. I wish they be joinable factions with their own questlines. Similar to different factions in New Vegas. The lore of different gangs operating in night city is so good....but right now it feels like wasted potential as we can't join them, This felt like a good opportunity lost.

Big post, I do want to react to this bit first. because I think it allows for a good enough bridge between all the rest. (in my mind at least)

Guess we'll see...

Reason why I presumably look at it completely from the opposite direction is that I had deliberately not looked at any news outlets regarding cyberpunk and I went into the game virtually blind.

I think I can confidently say that this is the exception rather than the rule.

But whether it is or not, there are enough people who looked into everything who're deeply disappointed that CDPR kinda needs to address their concerns.

Fair enough, its not impossible, but seeing how many differing reactions and opinions there are about this game, I doubt its possible the get everyone satisfied.

Then I'll settle for me being satisfied. ;)

What I tried to say is that if CDPR believes that is sufficient, then we have to accept that. We may not like it, but there it is.

Ah, but we don't have to accept it.
We can tell CDPR to go get plugged and never buy anything from them ever again.

That actually gives us, the end users, a certain amount of power. If enough of us got together as a group and basically told CDPR, "Fix your broken promises or we never buy your crap again," they'd hop to. They'd have to.

I suspect they will come out with info on that at some point, but is it realistic to ask this right now?

Yes.

Seeing as how we just have had patch 1.2 and hotfix 1.21 (which I didn't expect tbh) If they release such info now and it takes 2 months before it arrives ... I fear that would incite a repeat of the initial release.

And what happens if they keep teasing us with we're-working-on-it promises that never deliver on the promises they made that turned out to be BS?
I think that will similarly incite a repeat of the initial release.

Frankly, CDPR has painted themselves into a corner. Their only reasonable path forward is to promise big and keep that promise.
I don't think they have a "safe" path forward, where they can weasel-word at us, deliver crumbs, and expect us to be happy about it; that path led to guillotines in Revolutionary France, and it'll likely lead to bankruptcy in the gaming world. They're gonna have to take a few risks if they want to pull this out and have any kind of positive public opinion.

Also, a laundrylist is also potentially a long list and as such premature. I refer back to my earlier point of: "CDPR believes that is sufficient, then we have to accept that."

Except we don't have to accept it.

We can vote with our dollars, and CDPR has to accept that.

[...]

or maybe more specifically: do you enjoy the game still even if you would have already completed it?

More like I'm trying to convince myself I'm enjoying it.
I mean, it's very pretty, and I enjoy that.
But it's also very broken and shallow, and I hate that.

If you want me to give a category-by-category (plus over-all) 5 or 10 star rating, I could, I suppose, but in the end, the game won't crack 60% approval, and that's being generous.

Personally I do not really see why it matters to know what type of dlc (or other) comes out when.

I've explained it many times: so I can know whether to have my hopes up about CP2077's future... or whether I should just uninstall the game, never play it again, and never buy a CDPR product ever again.

If the contents of the DLC will bring the game up to a reasonable standard of quality by re-introducing huge swaths of the cut content and features, I want to know it now. And if it won't, then--wait for it!--I want to know it now.

Why....? So I'm not left hanging, wondering, hoping, and worrying. Wishing.
Seriously--and I cannot emphasize this enough--the problem isn't even what CDPR is planning. The problem is the uncertainty.

I don't think it's unreasonable, wanting to know what to expect in order to properly manage one's expectations for the future. And doing that requires info, requires details.
I just want to be able to say either, "You're doing that? Awesome; I'm in!" or "You're not doing that? Well, to Hades with all of ya; I'm out!" and to be able to say it, like, now instead of months or years from now when we finally find out what CDPR decided to do with the game...and, more importantly, whether the wait was worth it.

If CDPR came out and just said, "Here is what we're not doing, ever, but which we nevertheless said/implied during our hype blitz..." that's all I'd need.

Yet, they to not -how do you say- detract me from having fun with playing the game I currently have.

With all due respect, my brain translated this as, "I'm willing to settle for crapola."

I'm unwilling to settle for anything less than the game they hyped, the features they lovingly described in interviews and Night City Wires, etc. CDPR needs to give me that game...cuz that's what they said I'd be getting for my money.

They don't have to make CP2077 perfect, but as it is right now, it's unacceptable because it's not what I was told I'd be buying.

oof, this was a damn long post to splice and try to answer, but I wanted to do it properly.

I appreciate that.

[Sard Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
"Damned if you do, damned if you don't".

If they try to give specifics on things that aren't ready yet then there's a risk they can't do them. Then, the specifics they promised aren't what you actually get.

If they don't give specifics, to avoid over-promising, then people start asking questions about the specifics.

CDPR have promised that there will be "years" of development effort still to go into CP2077. That doesn't necessarily mean "their whole delivery team" during all of that time but doesn't necessarily mean "2 devs in their lunch hours, every other Thursday" either.

We'll eventually get the fruits of that work as and when it's ready. There's a good chance that this will make the game better than it is right now. What's more to know?

I'm not saying that so much to defend them, but to illustrate that it's unlikely to make any difference to you. I presume you've already bought the game, so you're already all-in. What decisions do you have left to make which would be influenced by knowing what they're working on?

Well that's not realistically gonna' happen. Perhaps you bought the wrong game. May I recommend the Far Cry franchise for next time?

CP2077 is an RPG as much as an FPS, and in modern RPGs "equipment upgrades" (and thus loot) are a core part of the formula.

In many ways I'm disappointed that the loot is so generic, like "all common weapons of the same item level have the same fundamental stats" etc. It's not looter-shooter-y enough for me :rolleyes:

I wouldn't buy a Soccer Manager game and then complain that I find soccer boring. I just wouldn't buy it.
True but I would expect something outstanding if I buy „the next generation of openworld gaming“ - not what we got as well : /

With all due respect, my brain translated this as, "I'm willing to settle for crapola."
I'm unwilling to settle for anything less than the game they hyped, the features they lovingly described in interviews and Night City Wires, etc. CDPR needs to give me that game...cuz that's what they said I'd be getting for my money.
They don't have to make CP2077 perfect, but as it is right now, it's unacceptable because it's not what I was told I'd be buying.
That is your opinion indeed, and as I already explained, I have not participated in the hype so have no previously conceived anticipated notion I need to hold this game to, and as such I can find my enjoyment with what I do have.
Can it be improved, sure. but I have little that currently stops me from being salty and enjoy it still. Take from that what you will, but I'll leave it at that.

That is your opinion indeed, and as I already explained, I have not participated in the hype so have no previously conceived anticipated notion I need to hold this game to, and as such I can find my enjoyment with what I do have.

Well, I don't think I can say much beyond, "More power to ya."

And I guess I can understand, in a way.
It's why I don't re-read a book right before seeing the movie version they finally made out of it; that's the surest way to be disappointed by the movie.

So, you're right; lacking info prior to release would probably have helped manage expectations. But, well, I didn't do that, and the cat's outta the bag, so...I mean...like...

Can we agree that CDPR really did talk way too much prior to release, and too early as well? I mean, they basically just admitted as much in a recent video, anyway.

Can it be improved, sure.

My question is more about "will" than "can", but fair enough.

Well, I don't think I can say much beyond, "More power to ya."

And I guess I can understand, in a way.
It's why I don't re-read a book right before seeing the movie version they finally made out of it; that's the surest way to be disappointed by the movie.

So, you're right; lacking info prior to release would probably have helped manage expectations. But, well, I didn't do that, and the cat's outta the bag, so...I mean...like...

Can we agree that CDPR really did talk way too much prior to release, and too early as well? I mean, they basically just admitted as much in a recent video, anyway.
From what I heard and read back as an after the fact, yes CDPR probably got over excited by their creation during the development and showed too much for their own good. I'm willing to agree to that. I'm also willing agree to the point where they unveiled it too early, which in turn allowed the hype to become its own thing, which backfired horribly.
I'm still positive they will which incorporates the 'can' also.

Which... if I may be so free to say, I get the impression you want to feel the same way, but the schrödingers Cyberpunk situation we have currently prevents you from having trust that it'll work out. Equally for myself ofcourse, but also for you and every other player: I hope you will be pleasantly confronted with Cyberpunk becoming the game you want (expected) it to be. All it needs is time :)
I really mean that. And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I get what you’re saying, I think. I’m in the same boat if I read you right.

I understand that they’re going to fix the game, I just want to know what they think needs fixed.

My biggest issue with CP is the shifty treatment of the male LIs and how V’s friends turn to lifeless dolls that sit in one spot forever when you’re done playing with them. I’d like to know if that’s something they also think is broken and in need of updating, or if their focus is more on police AI or making random street NPCs react more realistically (which I don’t care about.) Those are the things that ruin Night City for me, and if they don’t think they’re broken then they don’t make games for people like me and I can let it (and CDPR) go.

Right now it’s kind of a stuck in limbo scenario where I want to be excited for upcoming content and support this company in the meantime, but I’ve got no idea what’s going on.

I get what you’re saying, I think. I’m in the same boat if I read you right.

Right now it’s kind of a stuck in limbo scenario where I want to be excited for upcoming content and support this company in the meantime, but I’ve got no idea what’s going on.

You get it; this is 100% my position.

We might not necessarily have the same priorities on our wishlists, but I'm sure our lists contain most of the same items. :)

Just because we are on opposite sides of the spectrum does not mean I do not understand ;)

Do you have the least idea how refreshing it is to hear that? Seriously.

Like, the usual go-to on the internet when someone disagrees is that they had to have misunderstood because there is no possible way to disagree, and I have gotten so very tired of that nonsense.
So to read you sayin' this... man. Thank you. :)

Anyone interested in this thread may want to check out this one as well. Again CDPR indicates they will do more than fix bugs :

Summery according to the OP: 2020 CDPR made record profits. This record is mainly the result of good CP2077 sales. CDPR is not planning to release any other game soon. This I believe means the future profits are dependent on CP2077 growth.

So this sounds like CDPR needs this game to continue.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in this thread may want to check out this one as well. Again CDPR indicates they will do more than fix bugs :

Summery according to the OP: 2020 CDPR made record profits. This record is mainly the result of good CP2077 sales. CDPR is not planning to release any other game soon. This I believe means the future profits are dependent on CP2077 growth.

Yup, if they're planning to develop two new games starting next year they will need to maximise the income from CP2077 which means fixing it and its reputation so that they can sell more copies and have a decent revenue from next gen release and expansions.

They also have Witcher 3 next gen coming which will generate some income but probably not as much as CP2077.

Yup, if they're planning to develop two new games starting next year they will need to maximise the income from CP2077 which means fixing it and its reputation so that they can sell more copies and have a decent revenue from next gen release and expansions.

They also have Witcher 3 next gen coming which will generate some income but probably not as much as CP2077.

You know this brings up a good point here that I may not have realized before. If CDPR, which had only enough resources to develop Cyberpunk before, how many resources are going to be left to develop any content next year when they have to shift most of their resources to developing two games, including money?

I mean they say they are commited to work on Cyberpunk for the foreseeable future, but then admit they need to ramp up for two new games in a year. To me that king of says "we're committed to putting out content that was on the roadmap, then good luck getting anything else because we're moving on to greener and hopefully more lucrative pastures and putting this debacle that is Cyberpunk into the rear view mirror".

Not much of a way of saying "we want it to sell for years" when they're committed to two new games.

Not much of a way of saying "we want it to sell for years" when they're committed to two new games.

They're focusing on their two IP's, The Witcher and Cyberpunk, so the two new games are The Witcher and Cyberpunk sequels or spin-offs extrapolating from the info available.

There's no indication of a third IP as of yet which is why they would want the Cyberpunk IP to be refreshed before they continue working on it, the only way I can see that working is their famous approach to Enhanced Editions which is what I foresee in this game's future.

Profits they made on GOODWILL. People flocked to preorder and buy the game at launch based on CDPR's past record, CDPR's fame as a consumer friendly company and based on previews which were "embellished" to put it mildly.

The amount of money they made in 2020 is not a good indication of today's state of CDPR. How many people will still preorder/buy on launch date a new CDPR game? How much talent is left in the studios? How much legs does CP20077 have? These are the questions people should ask themselves.

Profits they made on GOODWILL. People flocked to preorder and buy the game at launch based on CDPR's past record, CDPR's fame as a consumer friendly company and based on previews which were "embellished" to put it mildly.

The amount of money they made in 2020 is not a good indication of today's state of CDPR. How many people will still preorder/buy on launch date a new CDPR game? How much talent is left in the studios? How much legs does CP20077 have? These are the questions people should ask themselves.
I agree but as they can now see the tangible value of that goodwill they have a real incentive to do their best to remedy the mistake. They've successfully traded on their business reputation (and let's be fair Mike Pondsmith's too) now they need to rebuild that trust if they want to sustain it.

How many Witcher fans are there who will be looking at CP2077 and worrying about a possible TW4 launch? If I was in CDPR's shoes I would reinvest a portion of the profits in CP2077 to fix the reputation and sustain the brand value in order to ensure the future of both IP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom