To anyone still in doubt: CDPR said they'll continue working on the game, so it can sell for years

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's clarify something here that I think is very important to keep in mind. Not just about Cyberpunk, but about game design and development in general.

There are a lot of people that were expecting a lot of totally disparate things:

Some people don't like the combat.
Some people don't care about the combat.
Some people want the combat to be harder.
Some people are complaining because they're being one-shot by enemies on normal difficulty.
-
Some people love the dialogue and characters and want more options.
Some people are saying the dialogue scenes are overdone and aren't interactive enough.
Some people are annoyed that the character interactions aren't open-ended enough.
Some people say that the characters should be more distinct, closing off options based on player choice.
-
Some people want more open-world stuff to just let the game go on forever.
Some people want everything to be connected directly to the main plot, because random stuff is pointless and boring.
Some people love the endings and found the story to carry a lot of impact.
Some people hate the ending and think they should be more up to player agency and interpretation.

There is absolutely no way that a studio is going to fulfill all of these desires. Not happening. 0% chance. No game in the history of computer gaming has ever done this. No game ever will. It's not possible. People's likes and dislikes are subjective. What is 100%, Cloud-9 heaven for one player is wallowing in the depths of hell for the next player.

The type of work that's being done now will not be remaking the game from the ground up. Such an undertaking would be insane. Not even feasible. Some players may be significantly misunderstanding how much work goes into developing something like a simple mobile app -- let alone a complex, open-world, RPG using state-of-the art graphical techniques and fully voiced and motion-captured characters. There's no such thing as going back and doing it over.

Cyberpunk is what it is, and I'll bet every farm I can get my hands on that the core game will remain largely the same. The future DLC may introduce some twists and turns and new approaches to the gameplay and the world. A sequel may handle things very differently. But I'd say V's adventure will remain pretty much intact, as it is now.

What will most likely be focused on are the mechanics. Squashing bugs. Cleaning up gameplay systems like AI behavior and how traffic works. Maybe some significant changes to combat. Wouldn't be surprised to see new strings of gigs and side-missions. Maybe a few more branches of the main quest. More interactivity and detail in the world, like adding in that metro system or more unique events to discover while traveling around NC. Etc.
(^ And remember -- these are my personal thoughts. I am not claiming to have information on the work being done at CDPR, and I am not speaking in my capacity as a moderator. I am expressing my beliefs about what the future of CP2077 will hold based on my own experience.)

Thus, if at any time, with any game, if someone believes that the game is going to change everything they dislike about a title in such a way as the game suddenly delivers everything they could have ever wanted -- one is setting oneself up for disappointment. That's not how it happens. If a game does fulfill your wildest dreams, that's just because you subjectively happened to like it that much. It would be no issue for to find 10,000 people that disagree with you.

Thus, I believe without hesitation that the game will remain very true to what it presently is. With far fewer bugs. And more polish here and there.

Let's clarify something here that I think is very important to keep in mind. Not just about Cyberpunk, but about game design and development in general.

There are a lot of people that were expecting a lot of totally disparate things:

Some people don't like the combat.
Some people don't care about the combat.
Some people want the combat to be harder.
Some people are complaining because they're being one-shot by enemies on normal difficulty.
-
Some people love the dialogue and characters and want more options.
Some people are saying the dialogue scenes are overdone and aren't interactive enough.
Some people are annoyed that the character interactions aren't open-ended enough.
Some people say that the characters should be more distinct, closing off options based on player choice.
-
Some people want more open-world stuff to just let the game go on forever.
Some people want everything to be connected directly to the main plot, because random stuff is pointless and boring.
Some people love the endings and found the story to carry a lot of impact.
Some people hate the ending and think they should be more up to player agency and interpretation.

There is absolutely no way that a studio is going to fulfill all of these desires. Not happening. 0% chance. No game in the history of computer gaming has ever done this. No game ever will. It's not possible. People's likes and dislikes are subjective. What is 100%, Cloud-9 heaven for one player is wallowing in the depths of hell for the next player.

The type of work that's being done now will not be remaking the game from the ground up. Such an undertaking would be insane. Not even feasible. Some players may be significantly misunderstanding how much work goes into developing something like a simple mobile app -- let alone a complex, open-world, RPG using state-of-the art graphical techniques and fully voiced and motion-captured characters. There's no such thing as going back and doing it over.

Cyberpunk is what it is, and I'll bet every farm I can get my hands on that the core game will remain largely the same. The future DLC may introduce some twists and turns and new approaches to the gameplay and the world. A sequel may handle things very differently. But I'd say V's adventure will remain pretty much intact, as it is now.

What will most likely be focused on are the mechanics. Squashing bugs. Cleaning up gameplay systems like AI behavior and how traffic works. Maybe some significant changes to combat. Wouldn't be surprised to see new strings of gigs and side-missions. Maybe a few more branches of the main quest. More interactivity and detail in the world, like adding in that metro system or more unique events to discover while traveling around NC. Etc.
(^ And remember -- these are my personal thoughts. I am not claiming to have information on the work being done at CDPR, and I am not speaking in my capacity as a moderator. I am expressing my beliefs about what the future of CP2077 will hold based on my own experience.)

Thus, if at any time, with any game, if someone believes that the game is going to change everything they dislike about a title in such a way as the game suddenly delivers everything they could have ever wanted -- one is setting oneself up for disappointment. That's not how it happens. If a game does fulfill your wildest dreams, that's just because you subjectively happened to like it that much. It would be no issue for to find 10,000 people that disagree with you.

Thus, I believe without hesitation that the game will remain very true to what it presently is. With far fewer bugs. And more polish here and there.
Well I hope they don't listen to us all because that is precisely how fallout 76 happened! Turns out that the Internet doesn't know everything.

I've been watching Pawel Sasko's twitch steam and it seems certain that CDPR plan to continue to develop content for this game and make sequels.

Also they have their own ideas about what went well and didn't and what they'd like to achieve.

Fingers crossed for flying cars

Well I hope they don't listen to us all because that is precisely how fallout 76 happened! Turns out that the Internet doesn't know everything.

I've been watching Pawel Sasko's twitch steam and it seems certain that CDPR plan to continue to develop content for this game and make sequels.

Also they have their own ideas about what went well and didn't and what they'd like to achieve.

Fingers crossed for flying cars

I doubt they'll do anything like that. :D

I'm also not counting on getting an aerodyne you can actually control, for both technical and gameplay reasons. But...then...they added a magical motorcycle to Breath of the Wild, and that didn't seem to break anything! (And to cut to brass tacks here -- whatever arguments I could make against it -- do I want a flying car? Ja, I want a flying car! Roads??? Where we're going, we don't need..."roads"...)

I personally feel that Cyberpunk had a pretty clear vision and it delivered that game in vivid color. I also think that people simply weren't interested in that type of game. It's pretty obvious that the core of the experience just didn't resonate with a lot of folks, and the technical issues are killing what enjoyment they could have taken from it. I'm very sure they can iron out the bugs!

However, I would say that either:
a.) There's just no way to "re-do" the game a different way.
...and/or...
b.) Even if they tried, I think it would be like trying to turn a semi-truck into a racing boat. It would just make it worse.

Historical precedent? Well, I'm 51 and this is the first global pandemic I can remember.
Well, there was another global pandemic in the XX century: the outbreak of the 1918-1920 'spanish' flu. It seems it has been forgotten too fast (it was the first modern global plague that was analyzed and treated with modern medicine).

Back to topic. What are the chances we see some more patches anytime soon? The level of communication also got down from the times of the Witcher...

I doubt they'll do anything like that. :D

I'm also not counting on getting an aerodyne you can actually control, for both technical and gameplay reasons. But...then...they added a magical motorcycle to Breath of the Wild, and that didn't seem to break anything! (And to cut to brass tacks here -- whatever arguments I could make against it -- do I want a flying car? Ja, I want a flying car! Roads??? Where we're going, we don't need..."roads"...)

I personally feel that Cyberpunk had a pretty clear vision and it delivered that game in vivid color. I also think that people simply weren't interested in that type of game. It's pretty obvious that the core of the experience just didn't resonate with a lot of folks, and the technical issues are killing what enjoyment they could have taken from it. I'm very sure they can iron out the bugs!

However, I would say that either:
a.) There's just no way to "re-do" the game a different way.
...and/or...
b.) Even if they tried, I think it would be like trying to turn a semi-truck into a racing boat. It would just make it worse.
I'm not counting on the Aerodyne or the mono-rail in this version of the game either. Tecnically i can see how it would be an absolute nightmare! Would be cool to have a faster mode of travel though that isn't insta-load.

I don't think people weren't interested in this type of story driven game but I dont think we're (certainly on console) used to independent studios making such a high profile game that innovates. What I mean is gamers made assumptions based on the marketing and then built a narrative of which niche in their particular preferred "style" it fitted .

A lot of the whataboutism and "why can't I do what I did in" is players are used to certain brands doing certain things so they know what they're getting. People brought their preconceptions and the tech issues made them assume it was entirely unfinished.

I think if CP had been less technically flawed at launch then it's own merits would have been easier for cdpr to explain.

Also if it had been a gta/yakuza/assasins creed/Deus x/watchdogs clone then it might have got less flak but it wouldn't be a good a game

Personally I've got three criticisms that I still carry and I hope they address. I'm on PS4 and I understand that the capabilities of my console are part of the problem.
Graphically the screenspace reflections
Pop-in npc/cars
Wider Interactions with things like arcade machines, market vendors etc

There are many things I'd love to see in future games, but for an independent studio developing their own engine I think their doing an excellent job. They released this game too early but I hope that makes them better at quality control on future releases.

I think if CP had been less technically flawed at launch then it's own merits would have been easier for cdpr to explain.
Sums up my thoughts about the game at the moment precisely. It's such a shame that the game launched in the state it did as there is plenty of game there to enjoy and so many aspects of it are very good. As for the hype, I think the issue there is that the hype train was set in motion by CDPR far, far too early. Once the hype train starts, it will only go in one direction, gathering momentum until the launch of the game. If it is started too early, the hype will be built to unrealistic proportions.

awww cmn they promoted a ferrari and released a smart - you cant be serious about this argumentation seriously...

Seen this analogy a million times and no matter how many more times people keep repeating it it's not becoming any better or has any basis in reality.

But hey, if you like hyperbole, you do you.

But to piggyback off that same analogy, it's more like they advertised the next Ferrari 599xx EVO II and it turned out like a modern homage to the old F40, where the underlying tech is top of the line but the cockpit is barebones, strings to pull the door shut, fiberglass hard seats and barely any instruments to tell you what the car is doing, it's also unpredictable and tends to catch fire if it's not properly operated.

But to piggyback off that same analogy, it's more like they advertised the next Ferrari 599xx EVO II and it turned out like a modern homage to the old F40, where the underlying tech is top of the line but the cockpit is barebones, strings to pull the door shut, fiberglass hard seats and barely any instruments to tell you what the car is doing, it's also unpredictable and tends to catch fire if it's not properly operated.
off-topic
Wait, wait, wait :D
"old" F40, it's the most incredible car ever. No confort, no security, incredibly awesome engine... all is dedicated for driving sensation.

awww cmn they promoted a ferrari and released a smart - you cant be serious about this argumentation seriously...
Сonscious manipulation is not a better argument either.
Post automatically merged:

No amount of work will fix linear story and other fundamental issues.
You say linear story as if it's a bad thing. CP2k77 has a pretty decent one, so why would you want to change it?

Last edited:
Seen this analogy a million times and no matter how many more times people keep repeating it it's not becoming any better or has any basis in reality.

But hey, if you like hyperbole, you do you.

Which would make parts of this forum wreckedexotics.com 🤣:ROFLMAO:

Guest 4519094

No amount of work will fix linear story and other fundamental issues.
well guess they should just shut down the studio then, or do you have a more precise prescription ?

I also think that people simply weren't interested in that type of game. It's pretty obvious that the core of the experience just didn't resonate with a lot of folks, and the technical issues are killing what enjoyment they could have taken from it. I'm very sure they can iron out the bugs!
"people" ... or a vocal minority that may or may not be acting on bad faith or is actually contracted to spread such opinion on behalf of private interests at the vast (silent) majority's expense,

I don't think people weren't interested in this type of story driven game but I dont think we're (certainly on console) used to independent studios making such a high profile game that innovates. What I mean is gamers made assumptions based on the marketing and then built a narrative of which niche in their particular preferred "style" it fitted .
well done, there's video essays popping up all over the place about how innovation has completely been stifled out of most cultural industries (and most industries as a whole);
what's happening with cyberpunk and cdpr since release, trying to go against that tendency and the backlash associated with it is just the last demonstration of that stifling (relating to the previous point)

Well, there was another global pandemic in the XX century: the outbreak of the 1918-1920 'spanish' flu. It seems it has been forgotten too fast (it was the first modern global plague that was analyzed and treated with modern medicine).

Back to topic. What are the chances we see some more patches anytime soon? The level of communication also got down from the times of the Witcher...

Aye as I said, 51 years old and first one I can remember. Anyway, still on topic, how many software companies were forced to completely reschedule their working conditions during the middle of a major project due to said global pandemic? It couldn't be more on topic, whether you agree or not.

I haven't played the Witcher 1 and 2. Some time ago I watched a friend playing the Witcher 3, but I was tired of fantasy games and I wasn't interested to try it. So I'm not just a CDPR fan who wants desperately to praise the Cyberpunk 2077.
I started to follow the news about CP almost 2 years before the release. I purchased it after the release. All I can say is that I like the game much more than I expected. I'm switching between 2 average gaming PCs, played with 4 characters, only 2 bugged GIGs, 2 unexpected shutdowns, and the usual glitches like people and cars spawning too close. There are obviously a lot of things to be improved. Bugs, especially game-breaking are also a big NO. But they are busy with the fixes and we haven't seen any DLC yet. Actually, after I liked CP that much I decided to give the Witcher 3 a try :)
If people don't like the story or the game concept I don't think that anything can fix it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom