To CDPR: The importance of Combat

+
you made other points since then discussing the early-build playing journalists commenting on the feel of the combat, which is frankly a moot point since those builds don't represent the final build as far as we know;

The biggest issue with said comments was the CP2077 system of animations changing according to V's advancement in skill. All gameplay took place in the prologue or early part of the game so V's skills were pretty much bottom.

Some DID report that the combat started feeling better after they gained levels..

I never said it was Only about story telling, world building, and characters. I said RPGs Specialize in that, some people are saying that other aspects of the game are not up to industry standards which is just a straight up lie.

Why does everything have to be extremes, to some of you the combat/driving/fighting is either as good as the best games that specialize in those things or it’s trash no middle ground. I’m sorry but that’s stupid.

Since english is not my native language, I hope what I wrote doesn't feel like an attack against you. Was not my intention.
I was discussing about the idea in general.

The way is wrote by you for me it sounded like 'it was only about that'.

In my case I can play the game with those systems being average. Played the witcher series with that combat, and roach 'driving'. I had no problem with them, didn't distracted me from the experience.
But that doesn't mean I don't want better, I will love for devs to improve themselves and therefore the game as end-result of their work.

If the game is postponed to 2021/11/19, these boxing, driving, sword, animation will be improved

Hope the game can be postponed again :cool:

I think I'll be heard, and when our characters getting experienced with any type of weapon, we'll get that weighted feel of shooting and slashing that FPS players expect.

To me combat looked just as much an FPS as any other FPS. It doesn't get any more FPS than that.

There's some talk about skills affecting shooting, but the demos were played with a controller and (apparently somewhat heavyhanded) aim assist so if you have mouse and keyboard, the effects might be negligable. (Seeing is believing, though.)

If anything, the combat should've looked/felt even clumsier/stiffier than it was.

It's an 'rpg' argument doesn't excuse poor core gameplay mechanics. Witcher 3 combat was a slog and it did not help that it came out right after Bloodborne

Reviewers were surprised how often they had to drive in the game, if the driving physics is poor (to which most found it was not good) than that it is lacking.

The fact that there are 2 and a half skill tree dedicated to melee/hand- hand combat (Brawler, Blades and part of Stealth under 'cool'), you would expect it to be good regarding hitstun, animation, bruising/bleeding, etc.

Why should I choose to be a 'cyber ninja' if the melee portion plays out like garbage?

Hacking was seen to be clunky and unintuitive.

Keep in mind, the vast majority of perks in this game is related to Combat, likewise with cyberware, so we should be expecting combat to be good. Pretty much most people are armed.

We should be expecting to see good A.I so stealth does not seem bog standard and broken (such as in Ghost of Tsushima where stealth is too easy).

Perhaps CDPR can show us more glimpse of actual RPG mechanics in next night city wire gameplay.

Well, when it comes to melee, I hopes it will end up full auto so it will perhaps looks good (as in takedown level of good).

It's highly subjective, imho, to me shooting looked and felt awesome. Granted im no auhtority on fps games... Only thing that was like meh was the hand to hand combat and melee combat but they are still working on it... So I trust them! :)

While combat is certainly an important aspect of CP2077 it's not the central one.
CDPR has repeatedly said "CP2077 is an RPG first and foremost."
Thus to expect CDPR to spend more time/effort on combat mechanics then RPG mechanics is unreasonable.

A great many RPGs had, and have, 2nd rate combat mechanics. This has little effect on their popularity with RPG gamers. If you're planning to play CP2077 for it's combat content you're buying the wrong game.

While combat is certainly an important aspect of CP2077 it's not the central one.

Oh, no. Sorry. When good half of the footage (if not more) is of shooting, punching and slicing, all (ALL) the character systems are combat related (no social skills, no complementary interaction skills.... just combat and killing and resistances and commerce of gear), all the engineering/techie stuff that's been talked about is combat related in some way (weapon mods, cyberware, remote hacking of enemies, etc), when you can transfer combat stats from clothe to clothe, and when combat works like a normal shooter...

...yeah, combat is most definitely a central aspect of the game.

Last edited:
Thus to expect CDPR to spend more time/effort on combat mechanics then RPG mechanics is unreasonable.

From a marketing PoV, I don't think "RPG" have been on the front scene as much as combat.
I mean, I don't think most of the tens of millions players who will buy this game have heard about that "CP2077 is an RPG first and foremost.", but most probably already seen those FPS parts.

A great many RPGs had, and have, 2nd rate combat mechanics. This has little effect on their popularity with RPG gamers. If you're planning to play CP2077 for it's combat content you're buying the wrong game.

What if you buy C2077 for it's RPG mechanics? :smart:

Last edited:
Top Bottom