To forfeit or not - carrot or a stick

+
To forfeit or not - carrot or a stick

Simply put, some people decide to forfeit the game if they see the game is going bad for them or even they see a bad hand and they prefer to start again with better hand. I found this to be annoying and disrespectful practice. Bacouse of that i never forfeit the game even if i know i will lose. After all it just few minutes and i can give somebody a moment of joy when they are winning.

I do realise in Gwent its not gonna be as bad as it would be in 8v8 match as in that instance you are also screwing a game for your teammates (sadly that often happens in other games) However I still like Gwent to have mechanic that encourages players to stick and play instead of forfeiting. The easiest solution, is to punish players for doing so, hence the stick. You can do that by implementing short bans (10 mins) or reducing he number of in game currency etc. You can also do it by offering players rewards for finishing the game (that also prevents players from being punished if they crashed or had any other technical problems). Not as much as for winning a game, but enticing enough for players to stick around.

What is the problem if someone recognizes your superiority and gives up!

With a ranked system later there will be no problem i guess!

When I know I'm about to loose and opponent has passed or something like that, I do normally not pass. I play all the cards. I feel that it is interesting to show the other player what exactly I had left on my hand and why I lost. :D

Yeah, players leaving a game when they think they loose is annoying. But every game has those players, from FPS multiplayer over Card games.
You can't really punish them for it because there are actual circumstances in which people have a legitimate reason to leave, or there is a problem on their end and punishing those people unjustified just causes more frustration. So it is easier to let the dicks be dick and just live with it, and hope most people are sportsmanlike.

I actually played 3 of the 4 hours in the last KTS event (was 1h late unfortunately bc of some RL circumstances -.-) and only 2 people quit on me in the... 15 - 25 matches I had.

I'd say giving people rewards for finishing their game is by far the better option. While I do usually play my games out, I can understand people not wanting to play anymore after a certain point and I don't mind it.

There should be an casual ladder, for people who want to just have fun and I feel like early concedes will be less prone in such an environment than in ranked ladder, which is fine, because in ranked you play to win, and if someone concedes early, that is fine too cause it means you won.

I dont know if quitting is really such a bad thing.
If someone see he cannot win he can quit and its over or he can for example play all his cards in second round and in 3 round you will be just throwing your cards. for what?
Yesterday I had just exact situation. My opponent saw he not going to win so he throw all his hand in 2 round, in 3 I was just throwing my hand and it was soooo boring.
Maybe now when the game is new you say better not to quit and see all cards but after a while when you know most of the cards it will become very boring and tiresome.
So I dont mind if someone quit when he knows he is going to lose it save me and him a time. I can just go play another match.

I agree that leavers aren't a problem in a 1v1 game - you're just giving your opponent a free win. In fact in many 1v1 games, like SC2, leaving when you're so far behind you won't be able to come back is considered good manner and the way 95% of games end (people that stick it out till the game is actually over are considered rude and bad mannered). Leaving early saves time for both you and the opponent, and there's in my opinion little point to playing out a game that is already over. The only person you are hurting by conceding early is yourself.

Not true at all, to me it is a problem. I prefer to play until the end. If someones leaves in the middle of the game it pisses me off. I don't consider that a win game for me. I found it to be a juvenile behaviour. You only gonna play me if you have a good hand, really. Whats the point of drawing a hand then, if people just look at it and quit because its not good enough. Quite frankly, a game that ends abruptly in middle just because an opponent decides to give up cos he doesn't have a good hand is a waste of time

When I know I'm about to loose and opponent has passed or something like that, I do normally not pass. I play all the cards. I feel that it is interesting to show the other player what exactly I had left on my hand and why I lost. :D.
If it's casual game then that's fine, but for any ladder/competitive game you should not do it, giving away free information to your opponent is only making things worse for you in the future. With custom decks knowing what your enemy plays is very valuable, so the next time you meet the same opponent you might lose because he knows exactly what to expect.

Playing DotA for many years makes me dislike leaving games and leavers in general.

Although as a 1v1 game, Gwent won't become annoying when your opponent forfeits because the game will just end.

It is character/skill building to persevere when losing and you never know the winning player might mess up and give you a chance after all

I will almost definitely play out every game as I have always done unless my cat is on fire!

Top Bottom