To Mod or Not to Mod.. That is the question?

+
For this game, there are limited events. So, as game +, you might use them for additional content or fun. But make a manual save without mods. There is no official answer for it.

I suppose it all depends on the player...
I've completed the game multiple times, played all the romance games (dump or keep)
the different voicemail messages at the end depending on what options you picked are a nice touch.

I have 1 achievement left to get (the quickhack one)

now playing with a modded save that starts with Legendary items (including Rogues Rocket Boots) and cyberware..
also has this weapon to play with..

Over 300 mods in my Skyrim, and game unrecognisable from vanilla. In CB2077 I've so far about 15 items in the patch folder covering avatar body, cyber and features modifications, weapons, clothing, vehicles, accessories, NPC holographic clothing, plus CyberEngine Tweaks console supporting 2 appearance changers, free fly, TPP third person, weather, better driving, maps, inventory management, teleport gateways to apartments etc, and I check the nexus every day for new stuff.

Guest 4564903

I picked up the game just after patch 1.20 and modded it before I played, why do I need to have problems with the game and miss out on fixes and improvements just to wait for CDPR to possibly fix it or because of the devs original vision.

I don't care about any of that as I want the best game I can have and thanks to modders I have better draw distance, better NPC's, better Netrunners, better level scaling, better police, gangs with different strengths and weaknesses, better female clothes and tattoo's, better apartment with customization, necklaces that replace glasses and look way better, even a proper pointer instead of that stupid square one, better graphics, being able to change car colours, better clothes for Panam and Judy, better knife throwing, fixes for broken perks, weather cycling, better looking Misty, Meredith with better hair instead of that awful style, GTA fast travel with no loading screen and its quicker, being able to untrack quests and the first weapon equip animation when you bring up a weapon as long as its not in combat.

In total I have 44 mods and after all that my point being is why would you not mod!!!

Personally I go through a game once running the vanilla version, then if I feel up for it use mods.

I have been playing the game now, for over 50 hours, which is technically a drop in the bucket of time compared to some others. However, that being said, I have not done a full playthrough and am just playing and continuing to do side quests (running low), gigs, and of course taking out some of the local gangs and then when the cops show up to an "oopsie" accidental overshot to the cranium of a passerby (loving smart weapons), I of course take out the police at that time as well.

Because, well its cyberpunk and I wanna play and keep playing.

But alas, onto my issue. Some say Mod, some say dont and let the devs at Cyberpunk give me the content as is and to wait for patches and dlc's to bring more content or more options of new opening doors, or (at max level we prestige and then go to rank 2 level 1 and up to 50 then prestige and rank 3 level 1) that way we can keep adding more points to talen trees. I mean, who could get bored if they allowed that right ;)

But, I have not added a single mod at this time, I am a PC user of course and Just want to know what others think? Do I give in and mod? or since the devs of the game are the ones wanting me to play the game (since they get paid to create this awesome content) which i do actually like alot by the way, maybe just hold out and wait on the devs. Maybe even see if they accept tips to help compensate for their time and show my appreciation (cyberpunk 2077 patreon page maybe lol).

I dono... thoughts please? Mod or No Mod.
I wasn't enjoying the game as it is now, so i modded it. I only focused on immersion and gameplay improvements so i could have a close as vanilla experience. If you decide to mod the game, do that. Let appereance or cheat mods for a second or third playthrough.

I recommend AI Netrunners Enhanced which make netrunners actually use different hacks on V making the game more challenging. If you don't like bullet sponges i also recommend Combat Gameplay Overhaul. With that one bullets have a real impact on enemies making every hit dangerous or fatal not only for them but for V too. The last one would be Level Scaling Enemies. This one gets rid of lower level enemies and give you the possibility to make enemies scale to your level or above each time you level up. All of those three mods work on very hard difficulty only.

Mods are probably gonna be the only thing to really save the game.

most probably.... modding is always the last backdoor for pc player - thats why they forgive companies failure/game issues easier and way faster than console gamers which very often dont have the opportunity to rely on the modder communiity. thats also why pc gamer in this forum say the current gamestatus is not as bad as everybody says. but if you remove all mods and tweaks from a 3rd party - cp77 is still a halfbaked game with lots of bugs and issues, many of them still first day issues. its clearly the pc fragtion which symphassies with CP77 not the console side.

most probably.... modding is always the last backdoor for pc player - thats why they forgive companies failure/game issues easier and way faster than console gamers which very often dont have the opportunity to rely on the modder communiity. thats also why pc gamer in this forum say the current gamestatus is not as bad as everybody says. but if you remove all mods and tweaks from a 3rd party - cp77 is still a halfbaked game with lots of bugs and issues, many of them still first day issues. its clearly the pc fragtion which symphassies with CP77 not the console side.
I'm on console, i had experimenting lot of crash on my poor XB1x the first month, but since XBSX, it run well and i like it :)
Obviously no mods, but honestly, I don't miss it more than that (i could on Skyrim or Fallout 4, but apart Unofficial patch no mods...)

This game I will probably not download again to be played modded, because....

1) As far as I know the modding tools are not on par with the tools for Neverwinter Nights 2 or Skyrim, which let you basically build a new game, with new regions, NPC, stories, voice acting,...

2) The shortcomings and failure by CDPR to implement AI, physics and gameplay mechanics will have to be addressed quite aggressively and massively by modders, leading to incompatibility within mods in proportions not experienced yet.
This will make it quite awkward keeping your install alive, even when using Vortex.

3) Serious mods will be developed after this game has matured with major patches. When will that be? In 2 or 3 years?
At this time we will have Cyberpunk 2 already on the horizon.

I much rather see myself playing the mod "Cyberpunk 2077 Reloaded" using Cyberpunk 2.

Now, almost half a year after release, seeing the lackluster process in improving this product aside from ordinary bug fixing, it is better to accept this game cannot be salvaged.

I think CDPR should ditch this hot mess of a product, and see that Cyberpunk2 gets on the market as quickly - but finished - as possible, offering owners of 2077 a massive discount on Cyberpunk 2, and providing them a CDPR developed mod CP2077 Reloaded for CP2 for free.

I think mods are a must for all games.
Modders are really the best community out there.

Just search something you like, and give it a try,
You can easily use a mod maybe only comsetic, in this way you will not break the "vanilla" experience.

Anyway if mods are great for every game, they are especially important in games like this one.
Some QOL mods are just needed to have fun without frustation (aka mini-map mod).

Game currently is broken and unplayable without mods, and unfortunately, it's broken even using mods.

I like to play CP2077 with just a very small amount of mods that make the game less annoying, like:
- less cluttered hud,
- getting rid of some irritating quest / location change sound jingles,
- disabling this dark vignette when I'm crouching,
- disabling those annoying loot cubes growing like mushrooms in the game world.
Things like that. Stuff that perhaps wasn't taken into consideration during the game's production and which probably should have been as optional settings somewhere for the players.
I also like a somewhat recent mod for 1st person view, which lets me see my character a bit more than in default.
Not ineterested much in additional clothing mods, or character swap and all that crazy stuff. CP2077 has enough of great things already in terms of visual design.

I would finish the game once (completely vanilla) and then get into modding.

I started modding Cyberpunk in early March and it has been quite a wild ride. It has been an opportunity for me to learn a whole new range of skills - material design in substance designer, 3d modelling and rigging in blender, how to interpret bytecode in 010 (which is only possible because I can cross check against a CR2W template created by one of the mod community godlike tooldevs).

I started by trying adapt npc clothing to be player wearable and I ended up creating my own game assets (4k hair textures). Getting into the modding scene made me realize there is really no problem that you cannot overcome if you learn the requisite skillsets, approach the problem collaboratively and methodically, break it down into small steps and every day work towards achieving small goals. And you get to see little bits of what you learned by putting them into the game.

A lot of this is repurposed npc assets, made to be player wearable. The flexibility is crazy. So once you understand how materials work in Cyberpunk, you can change any surface or import your own. The tank top for example is Alt's tank using the glass shader and then hex editing the mesh's material buffer to expose glass shader parameters like blur radius, index of refraction, front and back face reflection power, roughness bias and base/specular colour tints etc.

I'm using a hacked .ent provided by another modder which allows you to load 15 meshes per slot, which is how its possible to wear a tonne of jewelry, belts, cyberware decal meshes etc. When I start over on my next playthrough, I have an entire wardrobe lined up for what V is going to wear on all the main story setpieces.

And the hair is my first attempt at building game assets from scratch. 4k hair textures! This is what they look like:

Still very beta and not as good as the basegame 512x512 textures (yet). Their design is still better in the context of what the hair shader does (which achieves strand separation only through colour - no depth profile, no height maps, no global normal, no ambient occlusion). The basegame cards are also massively more efficient from an asset streaming perspective while imo looking on balance slightly better than mine. All of their short cards are 592kb combined. My 4k shord cards are 42.7mb! I learned a lot by doing this and I only got motivated to do it because I loved the game, saw some things in it that I thought I could change for the better and then with the help of the modding community, learned how to change it. Still a long way to go but its immensely rewarding.

I now think of modding as the endgame of Cyberpunk. An activity you can spend thousands of hours on. If you get the bug, there are multiple modding discords where you can learn how to do really cool stuff with the game.

Last edited:
Until they allow V to walk around without underwear in 1st person view, I will continue using mods to ensure consistency with inventory nudity appearance and what V's actually wearing. That...and the blinding light while driving out of tunnels or just shadowed areas sometimes. 10 seconds of blinding light and not being able to see while driving 40 mph through a busy intersection...fun times.

Top Bottom