To Mod or Not to Mod.. That is the question?

+
I have been playing the game now, for over 50 hours, which is technically a drop in the bucket of time compared to some others. However, that being said, I have not done a full playthrough and am just playing and continuing to do side quests (running low), gigs, and of course taking out some of the local gangs and then when the cops show up to an "oopsie" accidental overshot to the cranium of a passerby (loving smart weapons), I of course take out the police at that time as well.

Because, well its cyberpunk and I wanna play and keep playing.

But alas, onto my issue. Some say Mod, some say dont and let the devs at Cyberpunk give me the content as is and to wait for patches and dlc's to bring more content or more options of new opening doors, or (at max level we prestige and then go to rank 2 level 1 and up to 50 then prestige and rank 3 level 1) that way we can keep adding more points to talen trees. I mean, who could get bored if they allowed that right ;)

But, I have not added a single mod at this time, I am a PC user of course and Just want to know what others think? Do I give in and mod? or since the devs of the game are the ones wanting me to play the game (since they get paid to create this awesome content) which i do actually like alot by the way, maybe just hold out and wait on the devs. Maybe even see if they accept tips to help compensate for their time and show my appreciation (cyberpunk 2077 patreon page maybe lol).

I dono... thoughts please? Mod or No Mod.

Icinix

Forum veteran
There will always be thing sin the modding community that will never be done by the devs.

That's the beauty of the modding community, you can add content, tweaks etc that alter the game in positive ways that suit you that might be beyond scope or capacity of a multi-platform game.

I'm always pro mods. Neverwinter was an allright game made fantastic by mods. Skyrim was a good game made brilliant by mods.

Mod away my internet choom!

If you think about it settings like difficulty and even settings for aim assist and hud control and a lens flare options are like mods. They are just the ones you paid for is all.

I would have stop playing the game and got a refund if not for mods. But the DEV INTENDED the game to be moded. This is why we loved Bethesda for years in spite of the base game they sold. Because they intended it to be modded you have to take it as a package deal. Mediocre game plus DEV making it modable = GREAT product for the customers that want a game tailored perfectly to their taste.

Other dev prefer to be "SoupNazis" and retrain their artistic view and if you do not like it then shop some place else. That is fine as well. I was such a dev with my own (simple and little) software products. But that is not what THIS product and THIS DEV wants.

I do feel sorry for the PlayStations people but that is why I do not buy PlayStations. Same reason I do not buy marijuana.
There is good and bad aspects to both for me the bad outweigh the good in PlayStation.

With the following mods I LOVE this game and that is how it should be:

Keyboard Bindings (Because some of us are left handed.)
Save Anytime (Any game that can crash at any moment needs this.)
Removed introduction video's (Come on back to back continue screens is a little much.)
Zoomed Mini map (To see turns before you miss them.)
Better car Control (So you do not kill pedestrians every time you take a drive in the city.)

With a head shot mod add into the above (where both myself and npc can be incapacitated easy with head shots) this game would be worth $100 to me! That mod will be available soon.

So from my point of view with free mods I got a $100 game for only $60.

And the really great thing is no-one can rationally be butthurt over how the game is for ME as they can have the perfect game for THEM with different or no mods!

Last edited:
Believe it or not, this question is harder to answer than it is normally.

Knowing CDPR, I assume we will get a steady stream of patches that will inevitably break mods.

On the other hand, with the "f"hit hitting the "s"an currently at CDPR those patches/updates may be spaced out quite a lot.

If you decide to mod (and I suggest you do) I would only do fixes and QOL mods you feel are needed. As an example, I use the better minimap mod (Use only this one as other versions apparently contain malware), Alternate Crowd Behavior, and the Cyber Engine Tweaks mod. May also take a look at the toggle walk and holster weapon mods as well. I use a Logitech G600 mouse and so I wrote my own lua script for the same functions and a few others like autowalk, but those seem fair well done as well.

Note: I only use CET to start a new game+, after finishing the main storyline I write down the amount of money and Items I have and their respective mods. I then get through the rescue mission and give myself everything back and go from there.

INulis

Forum regular
I dono... thoughts please? Mod or No Mod.

Right now you cant really go deep with mods, just some visual improvements or small qol changes. For bigger ones we need to wait probably 1+ years.

Anyway about "mod or no mod"

As example... Witcher 3 without heavy modpack feels like ugly demo arcade game, with my latest modpack it changed into cinematic masterpiece with superior immersion and WAY better gameplay due to changed scalling and combat animations or other custom effects (sadlly it was like 2 years ago, cant give list coz its outdated, it was +100 mods).

So yeah... if you can, its always good to go with mods.

Mods, always.

A single modder can do things not even a group of devs can, mainly because they don't have anyone in a superior position breathing on their necks about what they can and cannot do, or someone that has a vision for what they should be doing.

So yes, always mod if the mods appeal to you. Sadly there aren't a lot of mods available yet. I'm running just a few .ini changes and the better minimap mod. 'Cause.... There's not much else.

Pointless owning a PC if your not open to mods :D. So far I have a haircut mod, itemspawn with cybertweaks engine and a gfx improver.

Mods, always.
A single modder can do things not even a group of devs can, mainly because they don't have anyone in a superior position breathing on their necks about what they can and cannot do, or someone that has a vision for what they should be doing.

That is definitely a big part of it. Another huge part is the TIME a mod Author can put into one idea that the DEV cannot.
And that as an outsider you follow up on wacky ideas the DEV would have thought was silly to try to do because it probably would not work.

The original doom engine (to the player it seems 3d in the game but it was actually all 2d objects that were stretched to look 3d) was pulled and pushed like taffy by thousands of mod makers and in the end we could do things the DEV had thought was impossible. Such as making a bridge that you could both walk UNDER and walk OVER! (Remember the game engine was NOT actually 3d.)

Bethesda lets their programmers do ANTHING they want to for 2 weeks (some time after the game goes gold) as long as it is for the latest game. They call it the game jam. Several of the projects that came out of that such as working spears thrust in Skyrim many mod authors (including myself) tried to do for years and could not get done to a perfect working degree. see here:

Unfortunately for Skyrim combat players this was not adopted into the game with the later DLC the way some of the other projects were. Instead we got home building stuff. ;P

Last edited:
I wish mod support could be a thing for consoles. I'm on a console and I'll admit it, I'm really jealous of all the improvements available to the pc community, and they're only just getting started.

Personally I don't like mods. Once you mod you aren't playing Cyberpunk. I like entering a game and playing by its rules, I come to investigate "breaking the rules" and my whole journey through is about a powertrip, I approach all RPG's this way. Have no desire to add an enthusiastis work over the professional developer.

Each their own though.. "Mods" is a game itself, making abominations of designed code.

You'll wreck it for yourself by deviation away from intended design.

Pretty easy answer for me, yes but not the now

Why? I wouldn't be surprised to see significant updates over the coming year that will probably render some mods useless until there also updated ontop of the fact it's still early bells in the games life and modding it.

It wait awhile, see what the updates bring and give the modding community more time aswell

Personally I don't like mods. Once you mod you aren't playing Cyberpunk. I like entering a game and playing by its rules, I come to investigate "breaking the rules" and my whole journey through is about a powertrip, I approach all RPG's this way. Have no desire to add an enthusiastis work over the professional developer.

Each their own though.. "Mods" is a game itself, making abominations of designed code.

Lol. Because using a mod that let's me rebind dodge, or using cyberengine tweaks for the game to run 10 times better is wrecking it for me.

As for the OP, definetely use minor mods that improve QoL and performance on your first playthrough. Save heavy modding for later when you know what you like or not about the game. Enhanced Combat on TW3 made the experience a BILLION times better.

Lol. Because using a mod that let's me rebind dodge, or using cyberengine tweaks for the game to run 10 times better is wrecking it for me.

As for the OP, definetely use minor mods that improve QoL and performance on your first playthrough. Save heavy modding for later when you know what you like or not about the game. Enhanced Combat on TW3 made the experience a BILLION times better.
Cheating.

NOT TO DIS you but yeah I'm on this fence about that.

Big love <3

Instead of playing Cyberpunk 2077, you will be playing just better, more polished version of it ofc. it depends what mods you want to install. Right now, theres not too much but:

- cyber engine tweaks : better performance
- Automonous ReShade : overall better visuals
- Better minimap : ... yeah, it just somehow fixes minimap
- Alternate Crowd Behavior : Makes NPC less stupid
- Rebind mods : ... better keymapping
- Draw distance boost : better visuals

My lates modslist for now. Its mostly just graphics improvements, performance and qol changes. In the future, probably there will be very heavy mods available, which will makes overall gameplay experience way better.

Just imagine this, but for Cyberpunk:

You forgot to add the vote on top of this topic. :beer:

but I'm gonna say MOD!

Witcher 3 is so much better for example with mods. Got 4K resolution textures, naked gerald, new items gamers have made. It gives the game extra life that the original game cannot give. It extends the game time for a game you have already grinded many times. I'm happy to see that people are already modding cyberpunk and cannot wait what we get in the next years. People are so creative.

In my mind, why have a Cyberpunk, or any game on PC, if you ain't gonna mod it! Of course mod the game, add QoL mods first IMO (that's all there really is at this time anyhow). Like better vehicle handling, better minimap, ect.

But yea, of course mod the game, if there's mods that meet your needs. I've basically turned GTAV into a cop simulator using LCPDFR...an entire new game.

Top Bottom