Today after a month, Cyberpunk completed same % of players as Witcher 3 after 5.5 years

+
What I really don't understand, and please someone do try to enlighten me, people who find 40 hours story too long. Why don't they just take a break half way and finish the game later?

I just don't understand why you would settle for less when you could resonably get more.

I paid £200 to take me, the misses at the time, her daughter and and my niece to the movies, a movie that lasted 2hours and dinner beforehand.

I've paid, again, hundreds to go to a Zoo

Hundreds on a nightout

Thousands on a 1 sometimes 2 week holiday

Hundreds on a weekend break

God knows how much on a pair of shoes or a jacket

I paid £60 for a game that at minimum, per OP post, gave 20hours of entertainment, subjective just like the movie, dinner, holiday, nightout etc, but realistically gives 100's of hours if enjoyed through replay value, i'd say that was top notch eddies spent

I paid £200 to take me, the misses at the time, her daughter and and my niece to the movies, a movie that lasted 2hours and dinner beforehand.

I've paid, again, hundreds to go to a Zoo

Hundreds on a nightout

Thousands on a 1 sometimes 2 week holiday

Hundreds on a weekend break

God knows how much on a pair of shoes or a jacket

I paid £60 for a game that at minimum, per OP post, gave 20hours of entertainment, subjective just like the movie, dinner, holiday, nightout etc, but realistically gives 100's of hours if enjoyed through replay value, i'd say that was top notch eddies spent
That ia really nice for you. But just because you're relatively well off doesn't mean $60 is not a considerable ammount for many. In fact you would be surprised to learn how in many countries $60 is a very significant ammount. And we are talking about main story lenght. that is nowhere near to 100 hours.

So today after 34 days 26.5% of players completed Cyberpunk 2077, it's same number as Witcher 3, after 5.5 years. For me this is good news, Witcher 3 was really long for some people, so I'm not surprised only 1/4 of all players completed whole main story. Story length data are from HowLongToBeat.com, so it's average, some of you maybe completed those games way faster. It's ok, not everyone is good at playing videogames or rushing main story.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Achievement Passed the Trial (51hrs main story length)
Cyberpunk 2077 - Achievement The World (21hrs main story length)

If you want to compare it to other big games..
Horizon Zero Dawn - Achievement Ended the war machine threat (22hrs main story length)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Achievement Quite the Adventure (12hrs main story length)
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Achievement Redemption (48hrs main story length)
DOOM Eternal - Achievement The Once and Future Slayer (15hrs main story length)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Achievement Odyssey's End (42hrs main story length)

CDPR "warned" us about shorter main story, are you ok with 21hrs or you wanted little bit more? Also those articles on the internet about "Cyberpunk 2077 is losing players very fast" etc are now explained, I guess. :)

Being compared for its story with games like Assassins Creed, Tomb raider or Doom really says it all for the self declared i copy/quote them here:

the industry leader in creating video games that resonate with gamers from all around the world
or
The industry leader in creating role-playing games.

really says it all does it not?
I bought the collectors edition, 1 copy for my nephews and an trauma team figure for like 400€ dont know anymore.
I dont care about the money but i wanted that industry leading rpg game.

And that should be more then 25 hours main, 25 hours sidestories, 50 wanna buy car and 50 hours of detes attached messages.

That ia really nice for you. But just because you're relatively well off doesn't mean $60 is not a considerable ammount for many. In fact you would be surprised to learn how in many countries $60 is a very significant ammount. And we are talking about main story lenght. that is nowhere near to 100 hours.
Im actually whats considered poor, staying in what was considered for along time to be one of the worst areas in Britain if not Europe but you're right i do consider myself fortunate, took me a year to save for a xbox one and over a year to have money there for a series X when i can get one, i buy a new game maybe twice a year and im able to do it simply because gaming is what i do nowadays and i'd be lost at worst bored shitless at best without it.

How i "afforded" stuff when i was younger isnt important but i could either through doing what i do now, saving, or knuckling down an getting shit done

£60 may seem alot but its not, its nothing, prioritizing what you do with it, if you have it is what counts.

You're obviously in a house with electricity and enough money for internet either on a phone, PC, tablet, whatever, if you can afford all that you're not as poor as you think, if you're not paying all that then what you do with you're money? Thats not a question i need answering, its a question to ask yourself.

Guest 3847602

What I really don't understand, and please someone do try to enlighten me, people who find 40 hours story too long. Why don't they just take a break half way and finish the game later?

I just don't understand why you would settle for less when you could resonably get more.
Depends on the game and story.
40h game with consistently high-quality writing is obviously a good thing. But, what happens when you have 15 hours of good material, 15 hours of mediocrity and 10 hours of boredom? Like in AC Valhalla? Most people lose interest and rarely come back because they found something more appealing.
Or TW3, for that matter? I've been on this forum long enough to see complaints about some sections of the game being drawn out and too slow paced. Namely, Novigrad/search for Dandelion. On the other side you have HoS, a 10h mini campaign featuring what is widely considered to be best writing in the entire Witcher series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this generously gesture has something to do with rising production costs. I mean "slightly shorter" was 50% and more at the end for CP2077. It makes the whole game cheaper for the same price.
I play 4-5 games a year (and more junk between), I've no problem with long games. Workdays 1-3h, weekends more, sometimes nothing, I got time....

But I will go back to my old habit: Wait 4-5 weeks after release. See how the critics go, waiting for the first patches... The experience with CP2077 healed me for years. I really can't remember playing such a buggy game with so many "holes" and
structural problems in years. Really can't.....

forgive me but the real question is whats the point of players finished a game? and what i mean...if suddenly players decide to spend 2 hours on a game then all games must have 2 hours main story? I dont care if 75 % didnt finish witcher (i had on 2 years) the content was there, the great writing was there, bug was also there but at least in a manageable degree, and definitely every penny spend on the game was worth it. Now we have cyberpunk which many players play the game still but what are they doing? explore the map with glitches and bugs of the main game (double jumps, mantis blades etc) we must understand that when i pay for an car that is 4x4 off road it doesnt mean that if it goes pretty well on tarmac and stuck on 5 cms of mud we must be happy.
Another thing that is very odd is that pricing of the game industry is almost fixed ... 3A games 60 euros....if someone can tell me how a product that costs 100 mil for production can cost the same as a product that costs 20 mil. and why a product that costs less than 100k can be more complete than a 100 mil production.
imagine these numbers applied on any other industry ...

For me the main story was long enough to be still interested to play it through.
If its too long i lost it. Tw3 was nearly that for me.

Main story length is not the game length. People who blow through it quickly and think they are done are [...]. They did not get their money’s worth. There is far more story in the main character side quest arcs, etc. Galaxy has my game time at 146 hours and I just finished my first ending last night. Will play all endings available.

If you have one game that has rave reviews, beloved by many, but has 10% complete the main story.

...and another that is fighting conflict on multiple fronts, including people screaming blue bloody murder on issues, but has 50% completition rate?

...which would you want more as the creator?

Analytics tracking is the worst thing ever brought into games development. It fails to take into account the whole and breaks it up into chunks in a vacuum.

Games are art, they're the whole culmination of mediums used and creator vision.

If you want to be driven by statistics, you may as well have deep learning make a game and package that.

I got game as early Christmas present from my sister, so I didn't paid anything. In retrospect, even if I were bought game myself, I wouldn't regret it.

I spent way over 100 hours to my playthrough. A lot of that went to figure out how to use stealth to solve missions, driving, I didn't really use fast travel before chapter 3. I found myself often reading emails and whatever was available as they weren't some bs made for bs universe. Some gang related content for example, reads like something from actual police cases. A lot of stuff like that.

Were things differently, I wouldn't be able to invest that much time. Problems with story driven content like this come to that to really enjoy the story, it's important to remember things and then it comes really important that you don't need to invest 40+ hours. Of course there's option to play 3 hours on this week and then pick it up again next week, but then it's not that easy to remember all that has happened earlier.

I feel pretty positive about my future after all. Pandemic will be over at some point, maybe I get lucky even before that and if there's a game I want to replay, that's Cyberpunk 2077 and that I can enjoy it in short form, that makes that replay possible.

Then it's also, like some others have pointed out, a matter of quality. I take single novel, single film or short series about topics I'm interested than serialized whatever, for 1000 hours of dull content. It's just not enough that there is something.

I thinks its very difficult to argue what lenght game should be, there are points to be made for both sides. I think it heavily depends on type of game your playing.
I dont think fps shooters would benefit from long story as players would find it boring.

Main story length is not the game length. People who blow through it quickly and think they are done are [...]. They did not get their money’s worth. There is far more story in the main character side quest arcs, etc. Galaxy has my game time at 146 hours and I just finished my first ending last night. Will play all endings available.
I had 170 hours after my first ending. Then I went back for more from last save point before point of no return and to see other endings. Haven't even tried if I can do "Don't Fear the Reaper" yet.

Absurd numbers for me absolutely.

But it's indeed a bit counter productive to rush through main campaign ignoring rest of the content if goal is to have a long playthrough. So person orders hamburger and fries, doesn't eat fries, then complains that he is still hungry and felt he paid too much for what he had. I don't think it's the restaurant that's the problem in that picture.

Besides, doing side missions give experience which can come pretty handy if you don't feel what you started matches how you want to play game. Thought about doing pistol swinging smart ass, ended up being hacking Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Last edited:
The problem is people don't do the content that isn't main story. I am at 152 hrs and I have a ton of gigs and side content left and a lot of main story.

Poor people don't spend money on silly outings the way you do. I don't know when you spend money like that on those things but poor people buy necessities to survive and rarely anything else. You have no idea what poor is or means.
Did you read it all or just feel offended at the first sentence?

I dont consider myself poor, i consider myself fortunate, but i stay in a area deemed poor and have a income deemed poor, IE at or below living standard.

'Poor" i consider not fortunate enough to sleep in there own bed under there own roof or argue stupid arguments over the internet, fortunate is watching what you spent and what on while doing so with a roof over your head while browsing the internet having silly discussions, if i was poor, by my terms, i couldn't do that.

If i had £60 for a game but no food or electricity, i buy food and electricity, i buy the game when i have excess money and not before, regardless if im eager to play it, if i buy the game and not bother with food or electricity its nothing to do with being poor and more about being stupid

I thought it was too short only because I enjoyed it so much. Had I been having less fun I'd have probably thought it about right.

I've not been so gripped by a game in a long time.

So today after 34 days 26.5% of players completed Cyberpunk 2077, it's same number as Witcher 3, after 5.5 years. For me this is good news, Witcher 3 was really long for some people, so I'm not surprised only 1/4 of all players completed whole main story. Story length data are from HowLongToBeat.com, so it's average, some of you maybe completed those games way faster. It's ok, not everyone is good at playing videogames or rushing main story.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Achievement Passed the Trial (51hrs main story length)
Cyberpunk 2077 - Achievement The World (21hrs main story length)

If you want to compare it to other big games..
Horizon Zero Dawn - Achievement Ended the war machine threat (22hrs main story length)
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Achievement Quite the Adventure (12hrs main story length)
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Achievement Redemption (48hrs main story length)
DOOM Eternal - Achievement The Once and Future Slayer (15hrs main story length)
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Achievement Odyssey's End (42hrs main story length)

CDPR "warned" us about shorter main story, are you ok with 21hrs or you wanted little bit more? Also those articles on the internet about "Cyberpunk 2077 is losing players very fast" etc are now explained, I guess. :)

On GOG, 38.6% of people have the finished Witcher 3 Achievement, and 28% have it for the GOTY edition, although I believe the GOTY edition is artificially low. As I don't have it for that version because by the time GOG gave me a copy for owning the game and all the DLCs I've stopped playing it. So there are other people like who have copies of the game but already finished the game under the other version.

Top Bottom