Toggle walk/run with DS4 controller (PC only)

+
Toggle walk/run with DS4 controller (PC only)

Managed to figure out a way to effectively toggle walk/run when using a DS4 controller on Windows, as long as you don't mind the in-game icons appearing as Xbox 360 prompts. Couldn't find anyone else suggesting this method so thought I'd share how I did it. It's very easy (hence how I managed to figure it out!) so no technical knowledge is required. (Click the Spoiler to reveal.)
  1. Download and install DS4 Windows (if not using already)
  2. Launch DS4windows.exe, click the Settings panel, and check the box next to Hide DS4 controller (if not already checked). Close and reopen DS4windows.exe after doing this
  3. In the Profiles section, click the New button and create a new profile called Witcher 3 Walk (or something similar)
  4. In the Touchpad box at the bottom left, click Use for Controls (side note: this is also really handy for having a few extra keyboard shortcuts mapped e.g. mapping your quicksave button, or the inventory etc.)
  5. Click Save Profile - this should return you to the Profiles tab
  6. Click once on the Witcher 3 Walk profile to highlight it, then click the Duplicate button above the profiles list
  7. Rename this duplicated profile Witcher 3 Run or something similar
  8. Open the Witcher 3 Walk profile and, under the Sensitivity section on the right, change the LS sensitivity from 1.00 to 0.80. Only do this in Witcher 3 Walk
  9. Still in Witcher 3 Walk, click the Special Actions tab above the image of the controller, then click the New Action button
  10. In the 'Select an Action' dropdown, choose Load a Profile, then choose Witcher 3 Run from the list that appears below
  11. From the Trigger list on the left-hand side, select the button that you wish to use to toggle walk/run. (I personally use Right Touch as it's in a convenient location to prod with your right hand, without having to take your left hand off the Left Analogue Stick or lose the input from another button). Make sure the button you select is not mapped to any other function - this can be achieved by clicking the button in question in the profile editor window and selecting Unbound in the bottom left
  12. Click the Set Unload Trigger button, and choose the same button as Step [11] above from the list on the left. Click the Save button once this is done
  13. Enjoy the freedom from left thumb cramp that will follow!
I hope this method works for you - please let me know! I've only very briefly tested it myself whilst fiddling around in-game, so can't guarantee its reliability unfortunately. When using the map, you'll need to switch to the Witcher 3 Run profile otherwise the indicator moves at a snail's pace, but this is very simple and doesn't bother me personally whilst playing.

Happy witchering =]

Last edited:
Top Bottom