Tomasz Baginski wants to turn "The Witcher" into a feature film.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is true and if it will be adequate Witcher movie then...

[video=youtube;a-BgREkkjcg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-BgREkkjcg[/video]

...how it cool it might be.

Tomasz Bagiński knows how to work as a director with (Game of Thrones) actors. There's a proof:

First Charles Dance in the game, now this...
Coincidence?

I think Bagiński knows some people in Hollywood already.
The title of his latest feature says all: Ambition ;)

Last edited:
Tomasz Bagiński knows how to work as a director with (Game of Thrones) actors. There's a proof:

First Charles Dance in the game, now this...
Coincidence?

I think Bagiński knows some people in Hollywood already.
The title of his latest feature says all: Ambition ;)

He does, but Ambition was 6 minutes long and was most likely sponsored by ESA(thanks Bear) to advertise Rosetta.

Last edited:
The budget of GoT is at least 5 million dollars for one (!!!) episode. No chance a book/games series from Poland which isn't even remotely mainstream or well known in at least fantasy circles in the US will get a similar budget for a TV series. And in Europe? TV productions are in a really sad state all across Europe (with perhaps the exception of some French productions) so I wouldn't expect anything here... ;)

He does, but Ambition was 6 minutes long and was most likely sponsored by NASA, to advertise Rosetta.

If it's all about the money - I think it depends on the Witcher 3 succes. I think some of the money will provide Polish goverment or Polish Film Institute. But most important is to prove the producers that it's gona pay off. How to do that? - Show them Witcher 3 sales.

There should be a good screenplay too.

Last edited:

Danke for correcting me.

---------- Updated at 05:20 PM ----------

If it's all about the money - I think it depends on the Witcher 3 succes. I think some of the money will provide Polish goverment or Polish Film Institute. But most important is to prove the producers that it's gona pay off. How to do that? - Show them Witcher 3 sales.

There should be a good screenplay too.

They've already shown the screenplay to the Polish Film Insitute, they said it's very good, and given him a donation. 150k złoty. The whole budget is apparently 558k for now.

Where you get this info? I've searched but all I find is that he is planning a witcher film, and that was hard to find. (Apparently he spoke of the project on twitter? Or am I confusibg it with something else?)
Is there a one source for info of this project? Or you just find bits and pieces all over the place?

And I agree that the project dependance on TW3's succes, so the film can reach a broader audience when it's released. But I don't think you need millions for a good witcher film, ofcourse not as low budget as the tv series but very few project get a budget like GoT or a Peter Jackson film. And outside of those there are plenty of good films and series out there.

Where you get this info? I've searched but all I find is that he is planning a witcher film, and that was hard to find. (Apparently he spoke of the project on twitter? Or am I confusibg it with something else?)
Is there a one source for info of this project? Or you just find bits and pieces all over the place?

And I agree that the project dependance on TW3's succes, so the film can reach a broader audience when it's released. But I don't think you need millions for a good witcher film, ofcourse not as low budget as the tv series but very few project get a budget like GoT or a Peter Jackson film. And outside of those there are plenty of good films and series out there.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. I find no information other than internet news, which are copies between them >_<
Please, if anyone has any other news, POST IT!!! hahahaha
And besides not millions are needed (is just to pay actors..), I'm sure Tomasz can do wonders with less budget than GoT...

PD.- Love your avatar @jackalj !!! Puck rules!!! ;)

I would totally pay and watch Witcher CGI movie done in the same passion as the amazing trailers from Witcher games.

Assassins of Kings - Intro, Killing Mosters trailer - you name it, they are absolutely amazing and so true to the Sapkowski's lore. I WANT.

I reckon I would be entranced by a series made in the animated style that makes up the scenery in Geralts clearly messed up head. Animation can be great when its imaginative, takes risks and explores new styles and effects, just like the guys who do big G's flashbacks. Narration is an interesting way to tell a tale too.

Of course I'm all for Baginski doing his thing, but sometimes the need to focus on graphical realism or some such detracts from artistic innovation.

Platige Image is working on one. Given the quality of their trailers, I expect high production values.

i like to see witcher movie with gerald and his voice what do you think ?

As GuyNwah said, there's one supposedly in preproduction by Tomek Baginksi and the Platige team. They stated the film will be live action and will be based on the novels by Sapkowski. It being live action most likely means that they won't need voice actors for the humanoid characters such as Geralt.

Platige Image is working on one.

Keeping in mind that there has been no public update about Baginski's adaptation for over a year now. :( One can hope.

My question is, how many people think that the new Vin Diesel movie "The Last Witch Hunter" is a knock off of The Witcher books & games?

No, but it is a spinoff of "Dungeons and Dragons". Vin Diesel is a big D&D and Tolkien fan. There's abundant evidence he based Kaulder on his own character. (Rose Leslie (Ygritte in "Game of Thrones") and Elijah Wood are also starring.)

Last edited:
I wouldn't know if a CGI feature film had enough of an audience. That kind of movies were never too succesful. Live action adaptation would also be rather strange since gamers have a very strong idea who Geralt is and how he looks. Also movies based on videogames have quite the reputation of being critical and commercial failures :S

I wouldn't know if a CGI feature film had enough of an audience. That kind of movies were never too succesful. Live action adaptation would also be rather strange since gamers have a very strong idea who Geralt is and how he looks. Also movies based on videogames have quite the reputation of being critical and commercial failures :S

The Witcher franchise started out as a series of novels, so your statement that "movies based on videogames have quite the reputation of being failures" doesn't necessarily apply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom