Tomasz Baginski wants to turn "The Witcher" into a feature film.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear in mind, that the fact movie is in production doesn't mean it will come out.
Especially it's such a huge project and their previous big one - Hardkor 44 - failed (as far as I know).

So either they have a mysterious sponsor, or it's just a move to lure one.

Yeah, I recently read that the company is in pretty bad shape financially speaking.

Ouch! I'd like too see a good detailed witcher film but...but... I have been always, ALWAYS disappointed with films based on books I've already read before. I only hope Hollywood keep away from this project in any sense.
I 'm not so difficult to satisfy, but i 've always hoped that Hollywood wouldn't touch The Witcher saga.

So either they have a mysterious sponsor, or it's just a move to lure one.
Yeah, I recently read that the company is in pretty bad shape financially speaking.

I'd throw a few quid at a kickstarter... not enough to make a movie of course ;)

Assuming it would be animated and needs voice-actors, Doug would be the obvious choice. Buuuuuut, If they really want someone else, the guy who narrates The Witcher audiobooks, Peter Kenny has a pretty badass Geralt voice.

Thanks for that, I somehow missed their release, and it wasn't immediate to find them online. Heard Kenny before on Iain M. Banks stuff, yeah he's good... still i'd vote for The Doug if voiceover was required.

Voice wise I'm sure they can find a suitable replacement for Doug Cockle, who in my personal opinion is OK but seems to be a one trick pony. Not sure he would be film quality.

Blasphemer ! ;)

I wonder what timeperiod/event/book they would base the movie on? Because if they were to base it off of the books, I think it would work much better as a tv-series, like Game of Thrones.

TV is too saturated with quality programs and there's been a glut of historical fiction that would make it difficult for the Witcher to stand out. My concern is getting another low budget affair like the Polish TV series. It might be best PI collaborated with a Mirimax or WB, someone with really deep pockets who will ideally stay out of the way in production.

TV is too saturated with quality programs and there's been a glut of historical fiction that would make it difficult for the Witcher to stand out. My concern is getting another low budget affair like the Polish TV series. It might be best PI collaborated with a Mirimax or WB, someone with really deep pockets who will ideally stay out of the way in production.

Agreed.
I always hoped that if The Witcher went on-screen again, it would be someone like HBO, on the basis that Hollywood would change the story too much, and anyone else may not have the budget. But someone like Miramax may be OK.

a film?

Nope. It's a bullshit from a some shitty "tabloidtype" NaTemat.pl

Correct. That's what I read too searching for this info.

As a TV project it would not work. As @slimgrin said: TV is saturated. All this hype with CInema coming to TV in recent years will end with projects coming back to the big screens again.

I don't know about that, I can see your point about it possibly being a "fad" and certainly there is a circular nature to these things, but I know the directors themselves love a chance to tell longer, deeper stories, and theres been a lot of success, arguably more than failure.

Theres a feeling thats been stated many times by them that Hollywood movies are dumbing their work down, and that TV allows them to do what they want better. Also aren't cinema attendances generally falling, while consumption of TV, and online delivery, rising?

Modern TV has one advantage that movies can no longer take back: scale. Scale used to be all in favor of movies: just compare the larger-than-life Ben-Hur on the big screen with the letterboxed or pan-and-scanned midgets on a 25-inch or 27-inch CRT. (With the advances in home theater, and the deterioration of public movie theaters, you could even say this advantage has been lost.) But TV series scale in time, something movies cannot do or refuse to do. The scope for deep and extensive narrative, and realistic, not telescoped, character development exists only in novels and on TV now; movies have abandoned it in favor of money-driven sequels and reboots.

if it will be:
# A CGI movie: make something like killing monsters trailer quality!
# An animated film (anime) movie or series: Berserk series (movie trilogy) are very good example of it. the mature and gore themes of the story is implemented very well! for this, 2-5 chapters/episodes per novel are enough for me.
# a TV series: something like HBO Game of Thrones quality, but that very much likely to be hard judging from the budgeting for such quality. we get 10-13 episodes for each season per novel, that would be totally epic dream come true for me! :victory:
# bonus ;): a motion comic series from dark horse comic maybe? A version of novel and games continuation with 15 minutes length per episodes. A 25 episodes for each season per novel.

According to German publisher dtv it will definitely be a movie for cinema and not "only" a TV production. Let's wait and see until more official information will be released though...

Tomasz Baginski speciality is cool CGI animation movies. So i suppose it would be a series or ordinary movie like Wiedzmin we saw before. And budget is not of Peter Jackson`s LOTR or Hobbit so its better be CGI.

An announcement that a movie "will soon be filmed" or "is currently being filmed" promises neither a certainty nor a particular time, but it is hopeful.
Yeah, but they say specifically here that it was a movie for cinema (and not just for TV). Who knows, it's at least a good hint. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom