Tone down NCPD aggression

+
[The NCPD is much maligned both in- and out- game. They are corrupt, inefficient and blah blah. But they aren't that different from real-world police corps working under bad conditions in the US and around the world. There are many good coppers trying to do their job. River, Barry, Petrova, Vasquez, etc. Sure the bad apples ruin everything, but if the PD were all bad there wouldn't be all those perps in jail. And there wouldn't be so many cops dying in the line of duty. Just saying.]
But that is just a short intro to my point.
This topic is frequently discussed but since the game is still being supported and new content coming, I want to make an open suggestion. CDPR should fix police behavior for good, in making them very low aggro. They should only react if you cross a police line, point a gun at them, etc. Not just because you stroll by a crime scene, or innocently drive by some cops standing on a corner. This because NCPD whatever you think of them (see intro), are a police force and not supposed to start shooting at peaceful citizens that are just passing by. Which if course includes V when he's just walking or driving in a legal manner.
Make the cops behave like cops. Even corrupt cops and negligent cops don't go shooting civilians for no reason.

I was going to say they should need a reason, even if its one they made up themselves but then, shooting limbs for a warning shot sounds like a fun 30 second news item but the VR world consequences are not so fun.

Sky high crime. But V is always prioritized! Despite gangers robbing someone infront of their face heh.
I think the best way to solve this is to simply make it a 20% chance that doing something criminal gives you a star.
Then increasing the chance the more stars you have.

It would make sense, with the lack of resources for the NCPD and the amount of corruption that they look the other way or don't care. A 20% chance for a criminal act to gain a star would help with immersion.

I really dont know why they didnt make decision to tune it down during testing and after release. OK, they improved it a little but just a little.

Which is obvious shame because they spend a lot ot time creating those scenes like next to Dex car where there is a crime scene with cameras replaying moment of attack - great concept and done really well, but you cant really observe it as if you stand close to a yellow line, police will start shooting at you.

Alerting police while walking past in a city center is another example that something was done not right.

Jaszi_

Forum regular
I’m so glad I’m not alone in this sentiment. Would be out just exploring and not notice a crime scene or gangers and next thing I know V’s in combat. V could literally stand next to a civ near a crime scene and only V would get singled out. I don’t think it’ll get toned down but it would be awesome if they did.

In comparison with the other civilians, V is more spotted by cops (civilians are not, obviously).
But anyway, cops become rather quickly hostile because Night City is a place where a dude can hide "giants" blades or even a "rocket launcher" in his arm... So I believe that it's obvious that cops don't want take any risk and start shooting at first :)

So in my opinion, it could be more realistic if, when there are cops somewhere, civilians avoid them as much as V needs to do, but in no way make them less aggressive.

The thing is, I'm just driving in my car, down a street, cars in front and behind, I pass a corner and combat starts.
Now this could be seen in another perspective if V were a wanted person. The cops noted you and... But is that really the case? In the game you frequently interact with police, they don't like you because you're a mercenary, but they aren't really out to get you either. So I don't think this is it. Simply, some groups of cops in the game are programmed to act like gangoons, i.e. to have a very high aggro if you come near. This is what I feel is wrong. Police should not attack until you do something illegal (cross a line, come REAL close like you are interfering with the crime scene). Even then they should yellow up first and give warnings, before going red.

The thing is, I'm just driving in my car, down a street, cars in front and behind, I pass a corner and combat starts.
Even then they should yellow up first and give warnings, before going red.
With NCPD ? In 1.52 ? o_O
It never happen to me for both...
In 1.31, it could happen with gangs or NCPD who randomly aggro you from very far, so you entered in combat without any warning and without knowing which enemies were on you, but it's no longer the case since 1.5.

So if they go directly in combat without passing by the "yellow warning", sure there is something wrong somewhere.

Now this could be seen in another perspective if V were a wanted person. The cops noted you and... But is that really the case? In the game you frequently interact with police, they don't like you because you're a mercenary, but they aren't really out to get you either. So I don't think this is it. Simply, some groups of cops in the game are programmed to act like gangoons, i.e. to have a very high aggro if you come near. This is what I feel is wrong. Police should not attack until you do something illegal (cross a line, come REAL close like you are interfering with the crime scene). Even then they should yellow up first and give warnings, before going red.

I've had this happen with gangs, there is one spot early on in the game where I think some Valentinos are fighting some Tiger claws and if you drive by that fight the Combat warning pops up, but oddly the NPCs don't actually aggro to you unless you stop to fight, they just keep shooting each other. And it's been the same in that exact spot on multiple playthroughs.

I've had police randomly aggro for reasons I couldn't understand just walking, or after helping police and holstering a weapon but that was pre-1.5, since the patch I haven't noticed any clearly out of place police behavior, other than them still not being all that smart when it comes to chases.

I've had police randomly aggro for reasons I couldn't understand just walking, or after helping police and holstering a weapon but that was pre-1.5
Yep and it led to some issues where players were unable to start a quest/GIG because they entered in combat for no reason when they were supposed to receive a call at this place. But it's fixed in 1.5 :)
Even then they should yellow up first and give warnings, before going red.
As example, even they simply ignore me (screenshot) or they warm me that I'm too close (video). But I never entered directly in combat since 1.5 :(
02-08-2022_00-58-08-2pcf4whq.jpg

I haven't had any issues with over-aggressive cops so far, tbh. I know in-lore they are not meant to be happy, friendly cops, but I think it would add to the game world to actually have the option to interact with officers as you pass them in the world, exchange a greeting or what have you. Would have been an interesting in-road for a "radiant quest" style mechanic where you see some cops, say hello and they point you to a randomly generated hustle or some such.

It would also have been nice if they thanked you in some way when you dive into a shootout and help them out.

I really loved the little quest outside V's apartment with the bereaved cop and his colleagues.

It seems like maybe they did in this patch a little. I saw NCPD roughing up an NPC and shoving them against the wall, and I pulled out my trusty Overture and pointed it at the cop's head. The cop just put their hands up and the NPC ran off, instead of going full aggro.

How about balancing police aggression with V's 'street cred' rating ? If the player has high street cred they stick out and are very visible and so the police 'over react', but a lowbie street cred player will be ignored are they're low profile?

How about balancing police aggression with V's 'street cred' rating ? If the player has high street cred they stick out and are very visible and so the police 'over react', but a lowbie street cred player will be ignored are they're low profile?
Solid necro, bro. Solid. A complete revamp to the police, making their behavior(s) more believable, is allegedly coming with the next update.

Yeah, the police in NC is aggressive.
You can see them as any other gang, except it's funded by taxpayers. It's not like they have any say in the matter.

I still remember really, really, really staying out of their way till it had become intelligence-insulting. There was my first fight with the police. Then the second one. Third one. I don't count anymore. I just shoot when they give me a bad look. Or when I feel like it, like every sweet lil cyborg psychopath. Here is what it grew up into with a godlike V.

I am looking forward to challenging and wiping the upgraded Maxtac.

Top Bottom