Too Few People Playing Casual

+
Too Few People Playing Casual

The leader board says there are over 100000+ players. Why is it when I play a casual match, I seem to see the same opponents over and over again?

gr8horned1;n9790331 said:
The leader board says there are over 100000+ players. Why is it when I play a casual match, I seem to see the same opponents over and over again?

Do you mean that you play against specific opponents all the time? If that is the case and you are seeing same names over and over again, then it's worth checking that your game is updated to the latest patch.

I dunno about too few people but I get put with people way higher level than me sometimes.

I always seem to get paired up with the same people as well. What makes it worse is the fact that they ALWAYS play the same stack-the-melee-row dwarves deck. It's pretty sad.

I find I'm always propped against opponents whom are much higher in rank and level than me. Constantly. Anyone else?
Like do I have to lose on purpose over and over again until fair matches come up? Just let people win (and ruin the game for both) by passing and passing until something I can maybe actually contend with comes along?
ANYONE ELSE>!?@!?:!@?!

It's beta. Casual is somewhat broken. With the mismatches it certainly isn't casual, especially not for beginners. There is no real easy or beginner online mode, which makes it very tough for beginners. Maybe that will change.

I can understand if someone is not happy with the current casual mode. It's probably not that inviting for less experienced players and often not even "casual" for experienced ones. The tricky question however is: how to make this game mode better? How to motivate casual players to play casual?

I'd love to see a concept similar to Pro Ladder but that might come with other problems.

lemonsplitter;n9823811 said:
It's beta. Casual is somewhat broken. With the mismatches it certainly isn't casual, especially not for beginners. There is no real easy or beginner online mode, which makes it very tough for beginners. Maybe that will change.

Agreed something needs to be done to improved match making. I think it'd be nice to have custom match settings for casual. Max MMR or Level in Match search, also picking certain decks to play against would be nice because if you need practice, you could search for the faction you lose to the most.

OG.laloquaint;n9814051 said:
I always seem to get paired up with the same people as well. What makes it worse is the fact that they ALWAYS play the same stack-the-melee-row dwarves deck. It's pretty sad.

Smells like bots to me.

Kegtron9000;n9824211 said:
Agreed something needs to be done to improved match making. I think it'd be nice to have custom match settings for casual. Max MMR or Level in Match search, also picking certain decks to play against would be nice because if you need practice, you could search for the faction you lose to the most.

Yes, this is a really great idea. Tournament players get to ban a faction, making that feature available to everyone would make a lot of players happy. And solve the repetitive decks complaint.

Picking a faction leader to play against is part of the tutorial challenges. Adding that feature to casual would make it a lot more appealing to new players. Adding the feature to ban a faction or leader in any mode as well would be another welcome change.

I agree that the matchmaking is completely broken in casual, but then again, even lv. 100 players might want to try something out :) If they get automatically matched to players of the same level, or very nearly, it's like they cannot escape from Ranked.

However there are a lot of good ideas in this thread, I do particularly like picking factions and leaders to play against :) In general adding options into matchmaking would probably help a lot more players get into the game. Right now it's better to start from ranked, I find that in low rankings, people play either starter decks or custom decks with little to no synergy, just cards they've added that seem to be good. Might be easier to start from there if you are a new player, especially if it's been midway through the ranked season already

Thats because not many ppl playing this game at all. For example, top 2k in Proladder is players with only 6 matches for 2 weeks.

Raunbjorn

If you want to play casual you gotta play low level ranked play. Casual is atrocious right now where you're going up against lvl 80/rank18 guys even if you're low lvl/ranked yourself.

I find the same in Ranked. I get "fair" matches (one at moderately the same level, or a rank just above) every, maybe 2/10 times. One thing I've found that works (it requires sacrifice of points, as well as generally ruining the game for everyone) is just passing on your turn until the system sets you up with an actually even match. Again you will piss off the other player. It's not fun for them (but easy points, so they can bite the bullet) and it's pretty silly for you to just let it go and lose the points. But eventually instead of getting several matches in a row where you basically need a miracle or disconnection to win, you may get three or four matches where you get an even chance, and can actually have fun.

Another thing, has anyone tried to contact gwent support? It may be a more entertaining process than this game as a whole. Try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with casual is, mostly you play against high rank players with t1 decks who try to 2-0 you.
As long people act like assholes in casual you have no real reason to play it.

I've been experiencing the same thing and i'm still not sure why.
I decided to begin a tally today so i can offer actual (anonymized) numbers and avoid this sounding like hyperbole or butthurt.

I invite others to do the same and post their results - all it takes is a pen & paper.
Please remember if you do that we are forbidden from mentioning anyone by name and the goal here is not to pick fault with individual players.
We're looking only for some reliable ground-level data that might be useful to devs and community.

That said, here's what i found this morning:

I played 6 games in Casual and 10 in Ranked.

Of the Casual games i drew 3 NG and 3 from all other factions. I saw two of those NG players at least twice last night too.
I forfeited every NG game before first card and won 2 of the remaining 3.

Of the Ranked games i drew 6 NG players and 4 from other factions, mostly Monsters and Skellige. I didnt track my wins by i know i won more than i lost.

So in just 1 morning's play NG spy/reveal decks accounted for more than all the other factions combined and i see 3 of those players nearly every time i play.

Who else would like to share some observations?

Last edited:
No wonder.

I stopped playing a while ago because of the eFFin' ridiculously off rank/level pairing in the casual.

I suspect many others may have, too.

Top Bottom