Too many saved games = Too Much Harddrive Space

+
Too many saved games = Too Much Harddrive Space

I was trying to clean out my HDD and I noticed that my TW1 saves folder had like 3GB of saves (this has been cleared previously as well). One thing about both TW games that's driving me nuts is the fact that each and every quick save creates a new save game file. This causes you to have hundreds of game saves that you then have to sort through and delete otherwise the amount of space used by the game is ridiculous. For TW3 & Cyberpunk and any future CDPR games, please take a page from other RPGs. Quick Save = 1 file that always overwrites itself. Manual save = additional new files. It would make life so much better.

I'm hoping that someone can make a mod for TW2 to do this. It would be a big help.

Agreed, in TW1 I've gotten in the habit of clearing my save directory of unnecessary saves after every session, which clears anywhere between 200 to 500 MB because I quicksave a lot.

I'm not sure where you got that information. Quicksaves in TW2 do overwrite the previous quicksave. They do not create additional files. But TW1 does not overwrite quicksaves, and the save files are much larger than TW2's.

Anyway, mods already exist for this purpose:

Savegame Manager (for both games)

Witcher 2 Gamesave Auditor (TW2 only)

In The Witcher 2, is the Autosaves that adds up to tons of megabytes of archives if you aren't careful, I think. Not the Quicksaves, as Guy said.

So yeah, I sort of agree with you AnthonyF1227. Is nice to have lot of Autosaves from different quests and chapters, in case you want to replay only a piece, but it would be a lot nicer if they didn't eat your harddrive space so fast XD

For Witcher 3 CDProjekt should have just have a dedicated Autosave and Quicksave slot that way the game only overwrites the previous save.

GuyN said:
I'm not sure where you got that information. Quicksaves in TW2 do overwrite the previous quicksave. They do not create additional files. But TW1 does not overwrite quicksaves, and the save files are much larger than TW2's.

Anyway, mods already exist for this purpose:

Savegame Manager (for both games)

Witcher 2 Gamesave Auditor (TW2 only)

So then what explains the hundreds upon hundreds of save games in my save directory from whenever I press F5? Those aren't all autosaves. I can press F5 and then press F5 again, go to Load Game and see both saved games. I rarely manually go to the actual Saved Game menu to save so they definitely do not overwrite.

Those mods won't prevent me from having hundreds of saved games. Those Mods only work after the fact. I'm talking about a mod the prevents it from happening to begin with.

That's not how the game works, so there is something screwy about your computer setup, something that is not allowing file deletion. Everybody else gets only one quicksave; the previous quicksave is deleted by the game when a new quicksave is made.

There are still too many autosaves; I'll agree with that.

I started TW2 yesterday, finally, and it definitely overwrites the quicksaves - so it isn't anywhere near as ludicrous as TW1 was in that regard.

Top Bottom