too much card draw after each round

+
Every match feels like this.
Win/Loose first round
If first round won then skip second round without playing anything.
If enemy won first round, drop cheapest/worst card because enemy will skip turn.
Proceed to round 3 with 10 cards in hand (y)

Do something with this :(
Change to 10/2/3, 10/3/2 cards every round maybe? :(
Or even 11/3/2 ?

Like some said:
[...] Most of my games end up being both players throwing trash at each other that gets destroyed on the next turn or 2 turns later MAX.
The game revolved around who is keeping a better 'secret' last move to top the other player since everything before that gets destroyed anyway. [...]

just my 2 cents, since the lack of tutor card, and the provision system force you to fill your deck with a bunch of trash card, so if you don't draw you will end up all trash cards in hand.

I'm finding it more and more a mistake to not play into round 2 if you won round one. Depends on your hand and match up....
Maybe playing our round 2 will become a thing....

Giving tactical advantage to the player who goes first in each round would provide an incentive for playing into round 2.

One of the easiest 'fixes' to players who win first round not wanting to play second is just adding more resilience cards, even with the strength reset.

It changes the situation from near certain card advantage by insta-passing into near certain card disadvantage.

Then we need to get to work on reducing control strength. The other big reason you want to win first round skip second round is because it's so easy to load up on removal to leave your opponent helpless in the third round.

In fact, that's what makes the coin flip so powerful. You get to throw out your bait card, then buff a real card and set up to win the first round. You then head into the second knowing if your current hand is bleed-capable or not so you get to make the call on insta-pass or not, and either way, you know going into the third, you're going to be set up to snipe all your opponent's cards.

One of the easiest 'fixes' to players who win first round not wanting to play second is just adding more resilience cards, even with the strength reset.

It changes the situation from near certain card advantage by insta-passing into near certain card disadvantage.

Then we need to get to work on reducing control strength. The other big reason you want to win first round skip second round is because it's so easy to load up on removal to leave your opponent helpless in the third round.

In fact, that's what makes the coin flip so powerful. You get to throw out your bait card, then buff a real card and set up to win the first round. You then head into the second knowing if your current hand is bleed-capable or not so you get to make the call on insta-pass or not, and either way, you know going into the third, you're going to be set up to snipe all your opponent's cards.

Bang on - rinse and repeat. Throw in the Witcher summon and epidemic/scorch, you have every game in HC forever more.

playing into round 2 will almost never be a thing for 3 reasons:
-most of the time, you win round 1 by going 1 card down on your opponent. drypassing round 2 guarantees that you get that card back
-when you win round 1 you have to go first in round 2. So even if you win on even cards, you have to be proactive, which is always worse than being reactive
-there are many good finishers that are way worse in short rounds (wolfsbane, regis, wild boar of the sea, etc.) so you want as long a round 3 as possible most if the time

-there are many good finishers that are way worse in short rounds (wolfsbane, regis, wild boar of the sea, etc.) so you want as long a round 3 as possible most if the time

Or prevent it for the very same reason. But yeah, playing into the second round can be risky.

playing into round 2 will almost never be a thing for 3 reasons:

It depends if your own deck enjoys a short round.

A case in point, last night I played and won 4 games mainly due to playing into round 2. One game the player did not mulligan and was left with bricks, another they were forced to use their Leader ability sub-optimally. Another they were forced to play their finishers what would have wrecked me in round 3. The only game I had trouble with was against Ethne where I thought I could win a long round with a Garrison - Aglais (Francesca) finisher and didn't play into round two. If I had I probably would have forced out there 3 Witchers and Shirru may have been less impactful. As it happened I was lucky to win by one point.

Last edited:
Hello, please let me bring "new player point of view" into discussion. When player starts Gwent, he is behind in everything in comparison to players, who already play Gwent. Collection of cards (especially good ones), experience, possesion of resources (scraps, ore, reward points ...). New player has quite hard time to win his duels, so he is happy when it ends at least by loss 1:2 rather than 0:2, because that way, new player can slowly but steadily gain round win after round win to get 6 won rounds (no matter if they came from 6 lost matches) and get his 2 reward points together with minor resources on the way like 15 ore for first 2 won rounds and scraps for first 4 won rounds. If opponent is playing into second round after he won first round of match, it is threatening complete stall of new player effort in that current match, because if game ends 0:2, there is nothing to gain except experience. Even if player is talented, without resources, he can not do much in Gwent.

I am quite content with how Gwent duels go and I find "tacticizing" about 2nd round natural and rational. You can at example check how is going current world chess champion match between Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana. There are colors swaping after each round and general approach in chess is to win with white and draw with black. That is quite similar principle to Gwent duels with rounds. I am pretty sure, that similar tactic would be present in every game, that is played in series of rounds, where roles are switched after every round.

Do not disregard some tactic just because it is "employed by everyone". It may be, that it is the most efficient, the most useful tactic ever possible and forcing change on it would just throw away everything established in past and going into new waters just for the sake of change similarly like throwing away years of Gwent beta experience and jumping into unknown (untested) waters of Homecoming. That means, I like Homecoming, but I am very much convinced, that game should remain in beta status for at least some time instead of being promoted as released out of beta.

Hello, please let me bring "new player point of view" into discussion. When player starts Gwent, he is behind in everything in comparison to players, who already play Gwent. Collection of cards (especially good ones), experience, possesion of resources (scraps, ore, reward points ...). New player has quite hard time to win his duels, so he is happy when it ends at least by loss 1:2 rather than 0:2, because that way, new player can slowly but steadily gain round win after round win to get 6 won rounds (no matter if they came from 6 lost matches) and get his 2 reward points together with minor resources on the way like 15 ore for first 2 won rounds and scraps for first 4 won rounds. If opponent is playing into second round after he won first round of match, it is threatening complete stall of new player effort in that current match, because if game ends 0:2, there is nothing to gain except experience. Even if player is talented, without resources, he can not do much in Gwent.

I am quite content with how Gwent duels go and I find "tacticizing" about 2nd round natural and rational. You can at example check how is going current world chess champion match between Magnus Carlsen and Fabiano Caruana. There are colors swaping after each round and general approach in chess is to win with white and draw with black. That is quite similar principle to Gwent duels with rounds. I am pretty sure, that similar tactic would be present in every game, that is played in series of rounds, where roles are switched after every round.

Do not disregard some tactic just because it is "employed by everyone". It may be, that it is the most efficient, the most useful tactic ever possible and forcing change on it would just throw away everything established in past and going into new waters just for the sake of change similarly like throwing away years of Gwent beta experience and jumping into unknown (untested) waters of Homecoming. That means, I like Homecoming, but I am very much convinced, that game should remain in beta status for at least some time instead of being promoted as released out of beta.
This never used to be an issue. The motto used to be you have to lose a battle sometimes to win the war. When to pass used to matter for card advantage. It was very rare for the opponent to go 2 and 0.

This never used to be an issue. The motto used to be you have to lose a battle sometimes to win the war. When to pass used to matter for card advantage. It was very rare for the opponent to go 2 and 0.
I definitely did not mention, that it was issue. And card advantage is gained exactly by passing right away in second round (unless player would draw more cards than his hand could contain).

It was not issue, because things are like they were and like they are. But now some players are suggesting changes, so it will not be like it was and so it will be more difficult to get at least one won round because in their opinion, player should not be content with getting advantage for final round and that he rather should try to win in second round already. I, as a new player, who is playing his first season, definitely had some 0:2 matches and I would really not wish to increase percentage of those matches. I think, I am doing quite great for a newcomer, I went from rank 30 to rank 19. But sometimes, I really can not do anything against some decks, because I simply do not have big collection of great cards. In fact, because of limited collection, I use same set of about 8 golden cards in all decks of all factions, because I do not have better options right now.

The question to ask yourself after winning round 1 is not "Should I play round 2 and go for a 2-0 or play round 3 and go for a 2-1?". It is risky to go for a 2-0 when your opponent has last say in round 2 so as long as it is rare to both win round 1 and gain last say in round 2 it will be rare to go for a 2-0.

The question to ask yourself after winning round 1 is "Which cards should I play in round 2 before passing to save the rest for round 3?". When it is common to play 0 cards and just dry pass this issue gets reduced to a binary "Should I dry pass?" question, and the 3 round format gets reduced to a 2 round format.

The alternative is if there was a good reason to play at least 1 card into round 2 in most situations but risky to deplete all of your cards in round 2. Then the issue becomes a nuanced question of where in between the two extremes of all or nothing to draw the line. Round 2 lengths become varied since some will want to save more cards than others for round 3. The 3 round format gets 3 rounds and even the dry pass is improved from the safe default option to a calculated situational choice.

Well, I believe it is already like that. In my opinion, it depends on deck, which you play. Do you play cards, that profit from long rounds? (self boosting cards, thrive units, cards with cooldown) Skip round 2, to maximize length of round 3. Do you play cards, that do not have power variating over time? Then use them effectively whenever you can and try to avoid long rounds to make it harder for oppoent who may have long round strategy. That is how I see it. If majority of players play decks where cards are profiting from long rounds, it is natural, to do anything to maximize length of round instead of separating effort into unnecessary higher number of rounds.

Top Bottom