Too old for gaming

+
Too old for gaming

I believe this thought has crossed everyone's mind, sooner or later.

Can you picture yourself gaming in the last period of your life? Do you think you will get tired of it, or feel incapable of properly playing games anymore?

Personally, gaming has been a passion and part of my life since I was a kid and put my hands on the glorious Unreal Tournament. Yes, as a kid I played a game where guts and organs and heads happily flew all over the place.

This picture is nothing compared to what you can do to your enemies with a point blank Flak Cannon shot.

But I'm digressing now, cough cough...

Over time, gaming ceased to be just a fun hobby, and became a passion and as I grew up, I learned to take it more seriously too, and appreciate the more "artistic" aspects of it (even though I kinda disagree on considering videogames art).

So, even though it's true that anything can happen in life, and I indeed might lose interest in games at some point in my life (someone said Phil Fish?), given how much into games I am, I doubt that will happen and yes, I can picture myself, wrinkled and old, still sitting on my couch with a pad in my hands.

So, even though it's true that anything can happen in life, and I indeed might lose interest in games at some point in my life (someone said Phil Fish?), given how much into games I am, I doubt that will happen and yes, I can picture myself, wrinkled and old, still sitting on my couch with a pad in my hands.
Well, yeah, better being old and wrinkled with a pad in your hands than being old and wrinkled and playing Bocce.

1. I like video games
2. I'm too stubborn and self centered to change my hobbies and preferences
3. I can't see myself quitting on this hobby (yeah I'm 23 but as I said I'm stubborn)

So nope... I won't stop playing if I will have enough money to buy them.

People forget that playing is a part of human nature, of intelligent species. Imagining the abstract is a skill that so far only humans have (until the contrary is proved). Playing is the most natural and innate way of manipulating abstraction. You never stop learning, and if playing is part of learning, why is frowned upon when we are adults?

My humble advice? enjoys doing what you want when you need it. The only requirement is that you are aware of the possible consequences for you and others of your actions.

Yeah, maybe there was a brief time when I wondered if I was too old to play.

This an eternity ago ..

But

Last edited:
What I fear is that with age my reflexes will lose speed and readiness, and I won't be able to play certain games I enjoy, for example fast paced action games. I won't be able to play Devil May Cry with arthritis... xD

I doubt I will lose interest in videogames, though. Even though I know people of around my age who are tired of gaming already.

Arthritis? Well... wait for Parkinson and then we'll can speak ;)

Ciriously, don't bother for what it hasn't past yet! anxiety is not good to keep in tune reflexes.Perhaps when you get very older medicine and technology will give us good surprises.

Last edited:

Guest 3702081

I have been wondering the exact same thing as my interest in games began to fade a few years ago (by the way, I've never been a very avid gamer). But I think what matters is not only the fact that you play, but what kind of games you play when you have passed an "acceptable" age.

For instance I used to play strategy games when I was younger, but later I focused on story-driven games with a certain perspective like The Witcher and W3 is indeed the only game I'm currently waiting for since the supposed next Silent Hill installment has been cancelled. Just like the OP wrote, the artistic qualities have become the relevant aspect.

Maybe one day video games won't appeal to me any more at all - indeed I expect that much - but some games can only be appreciated when you're a tad older.

I don't game nearly as much as I used to. Job and wife take priority a significant portion of the time. I do think that I will play video games for the rest of my life, but I'm not sure whether others would consider me a "gamer" anymore. I still consider myself one, but I play more for the story now than the challenge. Since 2012 (when I started playing less) I have only played (1) the Mass Effect Trilogy, (2) Telltale's the Walking Dead (Season 1), (3) Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, (4) the Last of Us, (5) Crusader Kings 2, (6) the Witcher, (7) the Witcher 2 and (8) Dragon Age: Inquisition. I am much more picky about the games I purchase and play now, but that is because I have less time to play. I am sure that having kids will make it so that I play even less.

So with that rambling introduction ... I guess my answer is it depends on what you mean by gaming. If by gaming you just mean playing video games from time to time, I will be gaming for the rest of my life most likely. If by gaming you mean always having a game on deck ready to play etc. etc. then I'm probably already at the point where I am too "old" to be gaming. Whomp whomp. I don't think it has all that much to do with age per say. I think it has more to do with your life circumstances.

Last edited:
I am planning on dying "in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty", AND A GAMING CONTROLLER IN MY HANDS!

i can imagine that video games will become an artform on par with film and music and that there will be connoisseurs of gaming and that there will be old people who play :
"where's grandma?"
"killing a griffin or something in the attic"

"come here, sonny, i'll show you the CLASSICS." *loads up tw3*

"this gtx980 was my great grandfathers. still works, but you need an adapter. it only gets Cyberpunk 5077XY on medium settings though."

yeah, sure, I'll probably still play games.

Gaming will change. One day soon, the games we play to-day shall be viewed as mere clumsy, fumbling, and laughable efforts in the realm of virtual entertainment. The industry, and the market are changing as well, even now. While it may not be possible to keep up with the cutting-edge games of the near future, there will be other games, designed for older players, by those same people. It is now a market demographic to be considered. If one wishes to keep pace with the younger gaming crowd, though, it will require great adaptability, and an the willingness to change along with the technology. Some will be able to do this, just as some are able to pursue the sports, and physical recreations of their youths, well into advanced years. But it will not be so for all. I recommend that we play what we like, how we like, for as long as we can, and enjoy it while we may.

Last edited:
I won't be advertising it to the world when I'm 50

Won't be advertising that you're 50, or won't be advertising that you're still a gamer?
I find it mildly annoying going into a computer shop for something and being asked if it's for my son, and soon enough, they'll be asking if it's for my grandson. But it's worth it, just to see the shock on their face when I say no, it's for me.

I was perfectly OK with telling people I was a gamer at 50, and I will be at 60 too, and hopefully, at 90.

It's bound to happen. People who started gaming in the '80s will reach the age when their children have grown up and they have more free time, and you don't necessarily stop being interested in something just because you get older.

And yes, it may also affect the way games are developed, we may stop seeing "Easy" mode described (and designed) for "Casual" gamers and instead see modes that are based more on strategy than reflex speed. I don't think that this will mean the fast-action games will stop being fast-action games, just that there'll be more choice.

There are games I know I can't play, in particular shooters, because of slower reflexes. How much of that is due solely to age, and how much is due to the fact that I played mainly turn-based games until around four years ago, I don't know. Unless someone has specific medical reasons for slowing down, such as arthritis, I'd expect a player who grew up playing shooters to still be capable of it in their 60s.

Last edited:
I know a 56 y.o. lady who is a very dedicated gamer, and a particular fan of zombie games. Now she is into Dying Light, and Resident Evil remakes. But I am the only one with who she can share her overwhelming thrill of zombie decapitations. Her own children are much more mature than that. Still there will be a bunch of us, old-timers, who will be playing the latest shooters, RPGs and adventures while nurses change our diapers. :)

Ah, the cultural prejudice of 'maturity': it always seeks to constrain people from their pleasures. It is a social force which pressures people to remain in their 'proper' places, which is not always the most pleasant place to be. 'Acting your age' is very often overrated.

Last edited:
I do play less now that I have more responsibilities.. Full time job, spouse, household to maintain, and sooner or later, kids... But I don't ever see myself putting video games down for long. Hell, what do you think I do to bond with the spouse now? What will I do to bond with the kids later down the road? I'm sure they'll be natural pros. ; )

I'm already feeling as much pride for them as they'll be feeling embarrassment for me! T u T;;

I'm already feeling as much pride for them as they'll be feeling embarrassment for me! T u T;;

Again, I think that's something that'll change for this generation. It'll stop being unusual for dad to be a computer game expert.

Just as long as that doesn't put the kids off playing - "I'm not playing video games, they're for old people. Like my dad".
:troll:

Top Bottom