top 10 favorite games

+
Oooh lets see. I'm very picky when it comes to these lists.

• Metal Gear Solid 1-3
• Red Dead Redemption 1 &2
• Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox)
• The Witcher 3
• Super Smash Bros
• God of War ( up here for now)
• Dark Souls
• Alien: Isolation

I don't have a tenth spot and some of these listed could've been replaced with some of my nostalgic games, like, Halo 2, Golden Eye, and Donkey Kong Country, but I'm not a tool who does that shit. There were a lot of great games I've played but very few I go back and play. I guess these are the games I find myself returning to. Umm... hey, until Cyberpunk! ;)

Edit: I should give Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn a chance.

Last edited:
Uff this is hard.
I'll try it with ten games (not franchises) in no particular order.

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Mass Effect (1)
The Witcher 3
Dishonored
God of War (2018)
The Last of Us
Dark Souls (1)
Red Dead Redemption 2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Starcraft series
HOMM series
Witcher series
Planescape: Torment
Civilization series
Baldur's Gate series
Diablo series
Quake series
TES series
GTA series

rrc

Forum veteran
10) Blade Of Darkness : One of my most favorite Action-Adventure games. I don't know how many times I had played this game. There are four unique characters with superb combos for their favorite type of weapons. Moreover, this is the game which truly rewards for thoroughly exploring the map and sometimes forces you to do by hiding the keys in a place no sane man will explore. The secrets, which are all truly secrets, are super hard to find. In my first play through I reached the near end with only 2 secrets found and the game gives an option to go back and get the rest of the secrets and only then managed to find the rest of the 4 secrets. If you haven't played this game, please do yourself a favor and play this. Also, the sound effects is superb. In some places, I had to take off my headphones as the environment and ambiance was just too scary.

9) Super Mario 3: Super Mario will seem like a children's game, but Super Mario 3 is an extremely challenging game. The best 8-bit game ever created with un-paralleled complexity, creativity and difficulty. A thoroughly enjoyable retro game.

8) Counter Strike Global Offensive: Nothing much to say. One of the best first person shooter games. I have clocked more than 1000 hours in this game.

7) Jade Empire: My first ever RPG and what a way to start it! Fantastic story and an unbelievable twist. When you think the game is over, it starts kind of all over again. I did only one playthrough, but I thoroughly loved this game.

6) Gothic 1: It is an awesome RPG game. The controls are pathetic and super un intuitive. I had to google to find out how to pick up a damn stick to fight Scavengers when I started. Pathetic inventory management. But still, once you get a hang of it (once it becomes not a problem), the game just shines. A must play for RPG fans.

5) Dragon Age Origins: An amazing RPG. Huge open world RPG with very nice combat. You can play with so many different types of characters and you will get unique experience every time. Again, a must play RPG for RPG fans.

4) Witcher 2: Not many people talk about Witcher 2, but it is the ONLY game I started the second play through the next minute I finished my first play-through. I chose Vernon first and I had to play immediately to choose Ioverth. It was like playing two different games. The only moral choice presented by any game which made me pause the game, think through it, discuss with my friends (asking them what would you do) and continued playing the next day is from W2 (not the who will you choose Vernon or Ioverth, but an in game moral choice).

3) Age of Mythology: One of the best RTS game. Period. The game I had played the most in my life. Though not playing much anymore, it will always be in my top 10 games forever.

2) Gothic 2: IMHO no 'top 10 RPG games' will be complete without this game. One of the best RPG games which rewards for thoroughly exploring the map. I had played this game at least 5 times trying out different builds. A must play for any RPG fans.

1) Withcer 3: Need I say anything? Simply the Greatest Game Ever Created.

That's a very difficult question to answer. Are you talking about story,graphics,gameplay etc. They are all appealing in different ways. But I'll try an answer your question as best I can.

For story. The Last Of Us I haven't been this invested emotionally since the Mass Effect trilogy.

For an open world game. The witcher 3. Just everything is done beautifully story,graphics,gameplay etc and it was my first CD Projekt Red game hours of fun I had on it since Skyrim.

Mutliplayer. Battlefield 4 it's a great war simulator an I love Tanks. Thought I'd seen everything when I first played COD MW3 my first ever multiplayer game that I also enjoyed.

Hidden Gems. Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind divided. I just love that Style of world like Bladerunner and hopefully Cycberpunk when it comes out.

1. Half-Life 2
2. Mass Effect 1-3
3. Terraria
4. The last of us
5. GTA IV
6. Rocket League
7. Planetside 2
8. Dying Light
9. RDR II
10. Cities Skylines

Witcher 3 will be high up there once I play through it.

Tricky to choose. But some candidates? Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Arkham City, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, Super Mario 64, Kingdom hearts, Red Dead Redemption 2, Postal 2, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and Fallout: New Vegas.

Fallout 3, 4, Skyrim and The Witcher 3.. I've played a few games so far and wasn't used to a story-focused games though The Witcher 3 changed my stereotype over them.

Last edited:
Metal Gear Solid V (3 games in 1), Infamous 1, Assassins Creed 2, Command & Conqueror Generals, Total War: Rome, Witcher 3, Hitman 2 (the old one), Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Super Mario Bros 3, Prince of Persia (1989).

In no particular order.

Not a top 10, but a selection of games I like in particular:

Planescape: Torment (also Baldur's Gate 1-2 & Icewind Dale 1-2)
Fallout 2 (also 1 & Tactics)
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 4
Dark Souls 3 (also 1 &2)
The Witcher 3 (also 2)
FTL
Subnautica

Oh, I didn’t know this thread existed here. Seems like a good time to update my current top 10 games list :think:
[...A few days of mental deliberations later...] This is my definitive-for-now top 10:

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
    It’s hardly the Best Game Ever, there’s no such thing anyway but, compared to other games, the sum of its parts make it the one that gets the closest to that definition in my book. It helps that it belongs to what I’d consider my favorite gaming subgenre—ARPG—and one of my favorite fiction genres out there—fantasy—, aaand that I was already captivated with both Sapkowski’s Witcher universe and CDPR’s take on it before playing it.
    No game so far has made me feel more “at home” that TW3 :love:

2. Fallout: New Vegas
    A waaaaay more flawed gem than TW3 but still a pretty amazing and memorable experience. Fallout 3 introduced me to this post-apocalyptic, darkly comedic, retrofuturistic world but it was F:NV that made me fall in love with it.

3. Chrono Trigger
    Truly incredible, memorable, engaging, lovely, essential, superb, special... Many descriptors I have for this game, however what really made it deserve this spot on my list is what the first letter of these descriptors put together say ;)

4. Dragon Age: Inquisition
    If it had had what made Origins’ gameplay and writing great, DA:I would’ve been a bit higher on this list. Regardless, it has one of my favorite videogame worlds and videogame art directions I’ve seen so far.

5. Assassin’s Creed II (the Ezio trilogy as a whole, actually, but I can only pick one)
    Others, like AC IV, improved a lot on the formula but the storyline and setting of AC II—Renaissance Italy :love:—are still my favorites in this universe. Plus, it has the most likeable protagonist of the saga :cool: (I still have to play any AC after IV, though.)

6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Sure, previous TES had better writing (I’d say Oblivion had better guild quests and DLCs) and better gameplay in some regards but Skyrim is still the best one overall. Even more with mods, although I play it with as few of them as possible.

7. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Like DA:I, an ARPG with an outstanding setting and near-godlike art direction but, also like DA:I, sadly a testament of wasted potential. Regardless, it’s my absolute favorite cyberpunk-y game... for now :coolstory:

8. Batman: Arkham City
    Arkham Knight was a bit more “complete” game but Arkham City is the definitive Batman videogame experience IMHO.

9. NieR: Automata
    A kinda mindblowing, memorable (here’s that word again :ohstopit:), and surprisingly touching experience, at least for me. I’d compare it to something like Evangelion, Tarkovsky’s Solaris or Blade Runner 2049 when I watched them for the first time.

10. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
    To this date, it’s the Zelda game of the ones I’ve played so far that has the best combination of a greatly-realized setting, a really interesting storyline and pretty fun mechanics.

These topics pop up pretty regularly on ever gameboard, and I've noticed that many people - yours truly included - always gives approximately the same answer as previously. So I suppose it'd be an interesting thing to try and look a bit outside the box, in a manner of speaking, and make two lists instead of one. It might be a bit extraneous, but having been around gaming boards for a while, it tends to get a bit tiresome to have one stock response.

So, the "stock" response is a list of games that have not yet been topped in their respective fields by any rival. No game has been able get as much right in the whole as them, and frankly, it'd be a long awaited miracle if one eventually did. And even if might not have played some of them maybe even in a few years, I know from experience, that every time I fire them up, I will get a quality experience and have fun. That's just how good they are. Let's call it the "classics" list. Kinda like with movies... I liked Interstellar, but it's not Solaris or 2001.

The second list is a number of games that might be a bit newer, that did not make it to the stock response, but with which a good bit of fun can and have been had. Maybe theirs is the elegance of timely trending that will eventually dissipate. One that can change rather quickly and which can have surprising names in it.

The classic list - which is pretty much set in stone - is the usual:
  • Fallout 1&2
  • PST
  • Arcanum
  • Deus Ex
  • Dungeon Keeper
  • Wizardry 8 & M&M6 (it's a tie)
  • Civ series (the whole series)
  • HoMM series
  • VtMB
  • Morrowind
The "currently trending" list might be something as follows:
  • Disco Elysium -- Yeah, it's pretty much a "storybook game", but it's really fun at it. Visible dicerolls and all.
  • New Vegas -- A good game to occasionally go back to. Some unfortunate problems, but bearable gameplay and a nice story and setup.
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 -- It's an on/off thing. I like it and fire it up regularly and I want to play it, but the fantasy setting makes me yawn every time.
  • No Man's Sky -- I was surprised. I can't call it a good "game" because it is not, but it's a kind of a relaxing tinker-toy-sim with no hurry or push anywhere. Just do some random shit and collecting for a while, quit, come back in two months or half a year, nothing essential was lost and no catching up needs to be done, just continue go on where you left off.
  • Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong -- I like the gameplay stories and mood. Good games to come back to even though I'm not completely sold on the rulesystem or the mixup of tech and fantasy in the setup.
  • The whole S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series is kinda like one good game. I do like SoC the most, and it is undoubly the most atmospheric shooter, if not the most atmospheric game altogether, I've ever played.
Well, I haven't really played much of anything else worth mentioning here in the past years. All in all, I play much less games now than I did five years ago. It's been gradually going down and there's been only few good games anyway.

One of my friends managed to lure me into playing Fortnite with him and a couple of other people, and it's awful. I kinda get the appeal, but... it's just... not fun. I don't like playing it, but I like chatting with the guys while doing it so occasionally I joing them.

And here I managed to create a wall of text about absolutely nothing of note and if you read it, it's your loss man. You ain't ever going to get that time of your life back.

Hum...just 10? Tis is kinda hard if you've been playing games since the Atari! Or are we snobbing the old past console? :p

1- Planescape Torment (For the Story, cose it's one of a kind)
2- Septerra Core (For the story, cose the gameplay sucked)
3- Civilization (Serie) (My favorite though is Civ3, it's one of those game that doesn't get old and is conforting)
4- Kotor 1&2 (Only Star Wars I loved)
5- Fallout 4 (Only Fallout I bothered to finish, short story but I did love my character.)
6- Pillar of Eternity 1 (One of a kind, way too close to what BG3 should be and not gonna be alas..)
7- Bg2 (with tons of mods), Icewind Dale (With Mods), Neverwinter Night 1 (Loved the main campaign with lady aribeth and Mask of the betrayer from 2)
8- Mass effect (Serie) (1 and 3 were my favorite + Happy Ending Mod)
9-Remember Me &Life is Strange (Such good games!)
10- Shadow Run (Serie) (Hong Kong is my favorite though)

These topics pop up pretty regularly on ever gameboard, and I've noticed that many people - yours truly included - always gives approximately the same answer as previously.
They change slowly over time, but yeah I think there's only one game that would get added to my list since my last entry here. Current list as of today:

The Witcher 3
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mass Effect 3
Crusader Kings II
Final Fantasy XII
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last of Us
Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War

Uncharted 2

So yeah not a lot has changed since Dec. 2018 (God of War got added and bumped of my old favorite flight sim X Wing Alliance), but there are 4 games on the list from the last 5 years ... and all but 3 of the games are from the last ten years. So that's a fair bit of turnover over time.

Last edited:
Mine also has only slightly changed since December 2018. Currently:

1. The Witcher 3
2. Skyrim (even more firmly holding the silver spot thanks to Enderal)
3. House Flipper (this game is AMAZING, and it's Polish too :D )
4. The Witcher 1
5. The Witcher 2
6. Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
7. Burnout 3: Takedown
8. GWENT
9. Terraria
10. Horse Isle 3

I was really tempted to put Thronebreaker as #10, but since I have played 400 hours of HI3 in much less than a year it clearly needs to be on the list instead.

All of these games I have at least 200 hours in, for good reason. The top 2 are still in a league of their own, and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

So yeah not a lot has changed since Dec. 2018 (God of War got added and bumped of my old favorite flight sim X Wing Alliance), but there are 4 games on the list from the last 5 years ... and all but 3 of the games are from the last ten years. So that's a fair bit of turnover over time.

Well yeah, there are also people who follow the currents, never get too engaged with any single title and rarely look too far back beyond fond memories. Those peoples lists change on regular basis. And that’s swell, those people probably have better time with games overall.

It’s just an observation that people who are (and have been for a while) into videogames, tend to have their nailed down favorites.

I wish we could have a separate list for retro games. Though, the titles that I am about to mention are most likely have become retro games :D. My rational behind my list is that these are the titles that no matter what year we are in I will still play them, not only based on the impression I had when I first played them.

1- Fahrenheit, aka Indigo Prophecy. (My name is Lucas Kane. My story is the one where an ordinary guy has something extraordinary happen to him)
2- The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth. (One game to rule them all)
3- Tomb Raider: Legend. (Gura mise tha fo éislean, Moch sa mhaduinn is mi 'g éirigh)
4- Mirror's Edge. (I will move fast, I will move slow. Take me where I have to go. Ooooo!)
5- Hitman: Absolution. (Keep spamming that instinct ability)
6- The Sims 3. (Sul Sul!)
7- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. (His name was Geralt of Rivia. He was a witcher, a professional monster-slayer)
8-
Dragon Age: Origins. (Party Camp. My favorite part in the map)
9-
Mass Effect 2. (Yes... A suicide mission will do nicely)
10-
Assassin's Creed II. (Requiescat in pace)

And the list goes on...:sleep:

Top Bottom