Top 5 strongest (current) unit cards?

+
Top 5 strongest (current) unit cards?

Since a lot of cards have been revealed. I was curious to find out what you guys think are the top 5 strongest (most useful) unit cards (heroes, characters or even troops?) that we have seen so far. I know they are subject to change but it is still fun to hear everyones opinion.

my top 5 are all heroes (in random order).

1. Geralt: igni
2. Saskia
3. Triss Mistress of magic
4. Coral
5.Caranthir

Bonus: Best leader brouver hoog

Odrin and Roach :drunk:

skipping the fact that currently game looks unbalanced, what irritates me in these card is that the only point to not have this cards in your deck is that you will have to change them at the beginning if they are in your hand.
skipping that fact

skipping the fact that currently game looks unbalanced, what irritates me in these card is that the only point to not have this cards in your deck is that you will have to change them at the beginning if they are in your hand.
skipping that fact
I guess that's why they changed it to 3 cards instead of 2 for redrawing at the beginning

Umm I will list the 5 stongest troop-character cards and 5 strongest heroes (otherwise I would have to list almost only heroes xD):

Troop-Characters:
- Alchemist (doubles the strength of units without any ability, is only a troop, can be placed anywhere - with alchemist-based deck people can get in some serious trouble)
- Mahakaman Guard (6 strength, stays on the battlefield each round and it's only a troop, with some luck it's almost the strongest card so far)
- Yaevinn (a spy which draws a card to our deck, debuffs the enemy (-2 strength) and can be placed in both ranged and siege row, a must-have)
- Foglet (with fog oriented deck we don't need to have any foglet in our hand, which grants us more chances for stronger units, returns from graveyard))
- Clan an Craite Warrior/Clan Dimun Pirate Captain (troop with 6 strength and +6 when revived, with revive-oriented deck they are amazing and can be stopped only by banishing the cards from your opponent's graveyard)

Heroes:
- Caranthir (makes a copy of every Wild Hunt card, it might be even like +40 strength or more, much more usable than simple 15 strength hero cards)
- Triss: Mistress of Magic (her choice ability is usable in every fight, we don't need to load our deck with Scorch and Fair Weather, saving place for stronger cards)
- Saskia (6 strength and can inspire as a hero, which is an amazing ability because she can't be removed, also she can cast Scorch)
- Zoltan: Animal Tamer (you can buff your row or debuff the opponent, and still 6 strength, amazing card)
- Geralt: Igni (I assume it's the strongest counter-card for the Wild Hunt, really usable)
-

I am not sure about the alchemist to be honest. because it seems almost every card has a ability. I agree that mahakaman guard is really good. Which also makes Sheldon Skaggs a great card. Yaevinn is perhaps the best spy card so far but i am dissapointed that clan dimun pirate has been changed. i prefer if they were resistant to rain. Now they are basically the same as clan an craite warrior only siege. We need to have as many different cards as possible.

Your heroes list is almost identical to mine. Only instead of Coral you have Zoltan. I choose Coral because it is the only medic (so far) that can also bring back a special card. Also 8 points is pretty good.

I thought that Zoltan: Animal Tamer either buffs you or debuffs you. I didn't think that it would debuff the opponent. That would make it really good. Another card i am confused about is the Caretaker. Is it loyal or disloyal? Because if it is loyal that would make it one of the best card's in the game.

I am not sure about the alchemist to be honest. because it seems almost every card has a ability. I agree that mahakaman guard is really good. Which also makes Sheldon Skaggs a great card. Yaevinn is perhaps the best spy card so far but i am dissapointed that clan dimun pirate has been changed. i prefer if they were resistant to rain. Now they are basically the same as clan an craite warrior only siege. We need to have as many different cards as possible.

Your heroes list is almost identical to mine. Only instead of Coral you have Zoltan. I choose Coral because it is the only medic (so far) that can also bring back a special card. Also 8 points is pretty good.

I thought that Zoltan: Animal Tamer either buffs you or debuffs you. I didn't think that it would debuff the opponent. That would make it really good. Another card i am confused about is the Caretaker. Is it loyal or disloyal? Because if it is loyal that would make it one of the best card's in the game.

I was thinking about both Coral and Caretaker and probably they would be stronger than Geralt: Igni - they are much more useful in more fights. If I remember correctly Caretaker is loyal and he is really strong indeed, great counter for Skellige :D

If your right that would be a very good card to have in your deck. But i find it strange that he is only a rare card (unless gwentdb is wrong). I feel that a card that strong should be a legendary.

Also are you sure about Zoltan: Animal Tamers ability? Because the card says spawn field marshal duda who either grants +2 strength or minus -2 strength to all on row. So i think it works like a weather card. Effecting everybody on the melee row.

If your right that would be a very good card to have in your deck. But i find it strange that he is only a rare card (unless gwentdb is wrong). I feel that a card that strong should be a legendary.

Also are you sure about Zoltan: Animal Tamers ability? Because the card says spawn field marshal duda who either grants +2 strength or minus -2 strength to all on row. So i think it works like a weather card. Effecting everybody on the melee row.
no it's choice ,, loyal =buff,,disloyal(spy)=debuff

My understanding of card ratings according to what Jakub said in this forum is that card ratings/grading are purely aesthetic. So a legendary card has better aesthetics then a common but it's the same card with regards to abilities. Based on that you can get a common/rare/premium/legendary caretaker and the only difference is the improvement to the imagery(3D animations for legendary). So what drives a player to keep building and playing is too collect a full legendary deck for every fraction. That was my understanding of it. Please correct me if in wrong

Last edited:
My understanding of card ratings according to what Jakub said in this forum is that card ratings/grading are purely aesthetic. So a legendary card has better aesthetics then a common but it's the same card with regards to abilities. Based on that you can get a common/rare/premium/legendary caretaker and the only difference is the improvement to the imagery(3D animations for legendary). So what drives a player to keep building and playing is too collect a full legendary deck for every fraction. That was my understanding of it. Please correct me if in wrong

That's disappointing. I hope that's not the case because then i wouldn't have any incentive to build a legendary deck. Aesthetics is nice and all but not very important. Atleast not to me. What matters to me is the strength of the cards so i would be perfectly fine to have a deck full of common cards, as long as they are the strongest cards. I think it would be a lot more interesting to have cards of different strengths be legendary, epic, rare or common. This way you would truly be rewarded for trying harder to get the legenday cards.

That's disappointing. I hope that's not the case because then i wouldn't have any incentive to build a legendary deck. Aesthetics is nice and all but not very important. Atleast not to me. What matters to me is the strength of the cards so i would be perfectly fine to have a deck full of common cards, as long as they are the strongest cards. I think it would be a lot more interesting to have cards of different strengths be legendary, epic, rare or common. This way you would truly be rewarded for trying harder to get the legenday cards.
No doubt getting the best cards won't be easy. The rng drop rate in card packs is probably minimal and if you want to craft them the components needed probably will take some grinding to get but personally as a collector I like the fact the card aesthetics have gradings. Shows of prestige.

Ciri: Blink and Zoltan: The Brawler both seem extremely powerful. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom