Top PS5 downloads - October 2022

+
Interesting - for the first time since its release, Elden Ring isn't appearing in the Top 20 downloads on PS5 in either the UK/EUR or US.

Meanwhile, Cyberpunk 2077 still is sitting in there - #9 in the US, #5 in the UK/EUR.

As you might expect, top of the list is the BIG new release, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II.

Cheers,
Merric

Doesn't actually strike me as worthy of celebration. Quite simply, there is a serious lack of details here.

More specifically, what does top download means? Are we talking unique downloads for a given user, which would imply a sale, or are we talking just downloads regardless of sale? The implications of these two scenarios are vastly different.

Or what are we talking about in terms of actual numbers? The top ones are exactly what I would expect to see at the top for October. What if they account for in terms of numbers though? If COD/Gotham Knights having been just released account for 99.56% of the downloads for the months and the 0.44% left is split between all the others then it might seem cool that CP2077 is up there but in terms of actual numbers it would be a drop in the proverbial sea and not exactly celebration time.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be a downer here. I love CP2077 and wish CDPR the best but I from what I'm seeing on that page, celebration seems premature.

Dont care about Elden Ring. Dont care about Call of Duty.

Instead I gave a point to Horizon: Forbidden West. And Cyberpunk PS5 upgrade via PS4 disc, i also used the PS4 disc and data transfer for Mass Effect LE, Civilization 6 and Fallout 4.

CDPR was right that as they fixed the game, added more content, released media related to it and hardware continued to advance that Cyberpunk 2077 would only grow in popularity. Thank goodness too because it is a very good game and with continued patching/Phantom Liberty I certainly hope it ascends to being a great game.

It is a shame that the game launched in the state that it did. If it would have had a cleaner launch I can only imagine how big it would be right now.

EDIT: I add the above because it scares me that CDPR may learn the wrong lessons from the launch of Cyberpunk 2077. I hope they do not continue on with the idea that they can launch a mess only to fix it up and make it absurdly popular.

Last edited:
CDPR was right that as they fixed the game, added more content, released media related to it and hardware continued to advance that Cyberpunk 2077 would only grow in popularity. Thank goodness too because it is a very good game and with continued patching/Phantom Liberty I certainly hope it ascends to being a great game.
I wouldn't say it's popularity increased. As much as I like the game; it's only recovered from being the massive joke it was. A fair amount of memes still churn out here and there - The open world experience being chief among them. You also need a handful of mods to get something resembling the RPG a lot of us were expecting. The problems it suffered, some it still does and a few it will forever sadly, go beyond being broken. I'm more than willing to argue with someone who throws a tantrum, or insist on features CDPR themselves *before launch that is* confirmed weren't going in the game for whatever reason. However; I won't mince words when it comes to CDPR's failings then or now.

I'm glad that work is being done, but the attitude surfacing from CDPR and gamers recently gives me the sense my earlier suspicions were correct; They'll patch the game and act this whole ordeal never happened, gamers will sop it up and pre-order next product - no question asked. People are acting like finishing the game is a favor to those who bought it. It is exceptional, and deserves recognition when the norm is to just dump the game and saddle up for the next project, but it's what shouldn't have even happened in the first place. This falls squarely on their shoulders.
It is a shame that the game launched in the state that it did. If it would have had a cleaner launch I can only imagine how big it would be right now.
Indeed. It would still be lampooned for lacking several features expected of a CRPG and open world though, especially game given it's setting. However; the absurd, and at some points downright misleading, marketing would have made nearly any launch a guaranteed shit show. That's not even mentioning "advanced" features, some of which were pretty basic bitch for an RPG honestly, touted mere weeks/days before launch that aren't anywhere to be seen still.
EDIT: I add the above because it scares me that CDPR may learn the wrong lessons from the launch of Cyberpunk 2077. I hope they do not continue on with the idea that they can launch a mess only to fix it up and make it absurdly popular.
It feels like they already have to best honest. Them putting a positive spin on the way things are going is expected, and honestly it's the best choice for anyone in that position, but acting like the game was always good and just buggy, that the shady shit never happened, is worthy of serious concern. As for the potential to be absurdly popular - Unless some serious mod tools are produced by CDPR, that don't require players to also download a handful of extensions, some also requiring you to pull up an in game GUI nigh every time you fire up the game; there won't be a Cyberunk Skyrim. It'll be remembered as really cool game with an and incredible city and crazy story...even though the story outright antagonizes just about everything you are asked to do by said game.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be a downer here. I love CP2077 and wish CDPR the best but I from what I'm seeing on that page, celebration seems premature.
Oh, don't worry about that. From my point of view it's a single player game in era of multiplayer games, more so, heavily story driven game in a genre considered to be more of a cult following thing than popular, covered from horrible launch and it's almost two years from that launch, with some additions but no expansion yet. It will get more attention after expansion is launched, then there are going to be sales.

I don't think only one expansion is about game being unpopular, but likely Red Engine being resource heavy to develop on consoles and everything added also needs to be supported.

Of course it's in everybody's freedom to set whatever expectations they like but that's them. Who the fuck thinks that people ask for someone's permission to celebrate anyway. LOL

It has been in their interested to do so and I do hope they see in CDPR that this game has value as a form of expression. I think it has already inspired authors who write works in the cyberpunk genre. I see most important thing regarding mainstream, which they need to make expensive works like this work economically has been bug fixes, not only just some broken mechanics but game stoppers that could happen still in 1.31.

They can't decide what to do with in-game economy, but thankfully people don't need to get that invested to that, at least when playing on normal. Some additions like Panam romance dialogue, which BTW players having female V as character get as well, looks like placeholder perhaps from older version of game and is in general terms atrocious quality, locking fixer gigs behind progression, which practically mean doing same things every playthrough the same way which inflates replay value, they can get away with that because most people don't replay games. Yeah, bug fixes that enable playing the game without distractions, story, characters, philosophical aspects which enable continue exploring topics presented in game outside of realm of fiction, move onto real things. One of the positive aspects of game is also that it doesn't overstay it's welcome, making it accessible to mainstream, end game players can reach without wasting their fucking lives to it.

Relying sole popularity is difficult metric for product like this. If that would be a goal, why not just take a shot at formula from Ubisoft, EA and likes and see what sticks? I don't see any point of comparisons where is this in the list of the best selling games ever as this isn't sand box like GTA or needs to be, nor multiplayer shooters, or Super Mario Bros.

Sales measure objectively just sales, that doesn't account different things that different people find interesting. Sales are needed to make production possible, but if every studio went just for one formula, we were in situation where we would be playing Sandbox Modern Call of Duty Warfare from companies A, B, C, and D. Sure we could choose, but we would be playing games made by the same formula.

Oh, don't worry about that. From my point of view it's a single player game in era of multiplayer games, more so, heavily story driven game in a genre considered to be more of a cult following thing than popular, covered from horrible launch and it's almost two years from that launch, with some additions but no expansion yet. It will get more attention after expansion is launched, then there are going to be sales.

I don't think only one expansion is about game being unpopular, but likely Red Engine being resource heavy to develop on consoles and everything added also needs to be supported.

Of course it's in everybody's freedom to set whatever expectations they like but that's them. Who the fuck thinks that people ask for someone's permission to celebrate anyway. LOL

Hmmm, I don't know what you're getting from my post but I am not worried one bit. The game has sold 20 million units. Very few games can boast that. CP2077 is a very healthy IP. You'll never find a single instance of me saying otherwise on this forum.

Nor am I saying people shouldn't celebrate what they want to celebrate. I just don't see anything indicating any amount of real popularity from the OP's link as the OP seems to imply and I see no reason to celebrate anything. People are free to celebrate whatever they want.

Maybe I'm misreading your intentions here but your post strikes me as uncharacteristically, and unjustifiably, aggressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom