[TOURNAMENT] Beta Brawl #1

+
[TOURNAMENT] Beta Brawl #1

SIGN UP HERE: https://battlefy.com/gwent-beta-brawl/beta-brawl-1/5817c9c1c8ceb84103bff88d/info

Tournament will take place on November 5th at 14 CEST.

CHECK-IN 60 MINUTES BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT STARTS IS OBLIGATORY. (not checking-in will instantly disqualify you from the tourney).

Rules*:

- You will have to be present on discord during the tournament.

- Best of three elimination meaning if you lose two games you are out of the tournament.

- Each player should prepare 3 decks for the tournament.

- Each player may ban one of his opponent's decks.

- Player that won the first match must change his deck.

- Player that lost the first match MAY change his deck but does not have to.

-------------------------------------

To give you an example: Lets say player A plays with player B. Player A chose the following decks: Skellige, Monsters and Scoia'tael while player B went with Northern Realms, Skellige and Monsters.

Both players ban decks of their choice at the same time so player A banned Skellige and player B banned Monsters.

Player A is left with Skellige and Scoia'tael while player B is left with Northern Realms and Monsters.

Player A chooses to play the first match with Skellige and player B chooses to play with Northern Realms.

Player A wins the game and so switches to Scoia'tael while player B chooses to still play Northern Realms.

Player B wins and so he has to change his deck to Monsters while player A keeps on playing with Scoia'tael.

Whoever wins the final match wins and advances further in the bracket.

Grand Finals will be played in Best of Five format meaning ALL three decks will be used by both players.

-------------------------------------

*Rules might change depending on the amount of people that will sign up for the tournament.

If anyone is interested in hosting/shoutcasting the tournament on his twitch channel feel free to PM me here on the forums.

Attachments

• logotournament.jpg
    logotournament.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Is diffrent deck = diffrent faction? That kinda sucks for me, I have 3 diffrent decks but all monsters :(

Seeing as your opponent can ban one deck, if they ban Monster decks, I imagine you forfeit automatically.

Dont go down the same path as hearthstone with regard to playing with multiple decks. You want to associate a player with a deck. Having all players play multiple decks takes so much away from the experience. It doesnt matter if one deck counters another, players will need to build their decks to work vs all.

If you cant balance the game around one person using one deck, then the game is terrible (hearthstone).

Dont go down the same path as hearthstone with regard to playing with multiple decks. You want to associate a player with a deck. Having all players play multiple decks takes so much away from the experience. It doesnt matter if one deck counters another, players will need to build their decks to work vs all.

If you cant balance the game around one person using one deck, then the game is terrible (hearthstone).

Having different decks requires more skill from a player since A) he has to construct more viable decks and B) he has to know how to play more decks. Then again, this is the very first tournament so we can experiment with different rules in the future.

I lack many cards for some of the decks as well but that is what makes this rule interesting I think - having to make do with what you have.

When we do the next edition we can limit the amount of decks required to just 1 and see how things play out then.

Is diffrent deck = diffrent faction? That kinda sucks for me, I have 3 diffrent decks but all monsters :(

It is, at least in this edition. Sorry.

Just try to make something out of the cards you have, that is what will make this tourney fun and challenging. :)

Last edited:
I might have milled everything non monster to get a decent monster deck.

Then you're gonna have even more fun when constructing additional decks. xD Anyhow, you still have 5 days till the tournament starts that is quite a few kegs with potential drops for your other decks.

PS: Would appreciate it if you guys upvoted the reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/5afojp/beta_brawl_1/
That way we might get more entries.

Depends how many people will sign up but it is likely that we will continue the day after

If one milled the leaders (as most F2P did), then there is no way to join. You are missing a lot of players that way...

If one milled the leaders (as most F2P did), then there is no way to join. You are missing a lot of players that way...

Doubt anyone aspiring to play competitive did that since it is better to test multiple decks in beta. We got a decent amount of signups already so its fine. ;)

Last edited:
Going to copy paste what I wrote on Gwent discord about the tournament since some people weren't too happy with the format I chose:

I am open to discussion, it is supposed to be a community tournament so community should dictate the rules. I don't get why people chose to complain about the tournament on discord instead of just stating their problems with the format on the forums. :p

Anyway, I was thinking that we could change the rules every week and experiment with different formats to see what works best. Also, I thought that it would be part of the challenge and fun to create those 3 decks from what little cards we have since probably ALL the players will lack cards to create 3 really strong decks.

Then again, if most of you are against format I suggested then we should change it, no point enforcing the rules most participants don't like.

We're going to change the format every week though so I thought format wouldn't bother people too much. We can do a strawpoll and if majority prefers one deck rule we can change it.

Here is the link to the said strawpoll: http://www.strawpoll.me/11555105

Last edited:
Devizz;n6679832 said:
Having different decks requires more skill from a player since

At this point i don't know how many F2P players have more than 2 decents decks.

Even me who farmed the game and even put 34€ in the game got only 2 decent decks, wich none is currently full.

I think that a this stage of the game asking peoples to pick 3 decks is kinda Crazy. Banning one even more.

People at this stage should be able to just play any deck they wich to use.

Just my opinion, but i think most people will aggre with me.

--- Updated 03-11-16, 21:48 ---

Devizz;n3450242 said:
If anyone is interested in hosting/shoutcasting the tournament on his twitch channel feel free to PM me here on the forums.

That might intreste me but.. how are you going to do that ? As there isn't a spec mode yet. (At least to my knowledge !)

--- Updated 03-11-16, 21:50 ---

Deou;n6680032 said:
I might have milled everything non monster to get a decent monster deck.

FeelsBadMan.

--- Updated 03-11-16, 21:51 ---

Devizz;n6686702 said:
Doubt anyone aspiring to play competitive did that since it is better to test multiple decks in beta. We got a decent amount of signups already so its fine.

It's competitive to mill to increase your current deck potential. Making you farm faster.

Last edited:
I disagree, I think most players that are going to take part in the tournament will lack a lot of cards - even the ones that spend real money on kegs. This will make deck construction more fun and challenging. Then again, opinions on this may differ but like I have said multiple times - next week we can change the rules, I don't see whats the big deal about playing in a certain format ONCE.

There is no competitive scene in Gwent as of right now since closed beta just came out so I see no harm in experimenting with different formats.

As for shoutcasting the tournament, I was thinking that one of the players might stream (he could do a private stream if he is afraid of getting sniped) and the potential casters could commentate while live streaming the said player's stream. Not the best solution, I know - but we have to make do with what we have. Broadcasting tournaments very early on is healthy for developing a competitive scene.

I prefer to experiment with all kinds of decks, especially when playing beta so yeah, I am not milling anything unless its a spare.

PS: To all those that want to take part in the tournament this Saturday: the discord link was wrong, please check it again and join the server.

I'd like to see a tournament structure based off of Magic and Yugioh, where you bring a main deck to a tournament and have a side deck to help counter other match ups. It's a best of three, until the quarter or semi finals where it can be the best of five.

The players would have a main deck with for use every game one, and a side deck of 7 cards for the second and third game. Any number of the cards can be switched between the main deck and side deck after game 1. Your deck has to have the same number that it did initially and it still has to have the correct number of silver and gold cards in the main deck to be allowed to be played (shouldn't be an issue since the game wont let you add more anyway). It also shouldn't take more than three minutes to "side in" cards. If you are familiar with either yugioh or magic, you can see that this would bring a lot of unique deck building opportunities.

Example:
Main deck would be a NR trebuchet combo deck. Side deck would include 2 clear skies, 2 lacerate, 2 manticore venom, 1 Geralt Igni.

Theoretically I would bring this to a tournament where monster weather wasn't the best, but is enough of a threat to dictate a lot of my side choices incase I do run into it (so probably not a tournament around this time lol).

You only have to worry about being paired up against a faction you don't want one time in a match, the first game. After that, you have a side deck and your skills. In a balanced game, I think this would rely more on in game skill rather than the ability to counter pick factions.

This is also new player friendly as you only need 1 competitive deck and a few side deck cards. This isn't perfect and there are a couple downsides (going based off honor system when side decking since the opoonent wont know what is in it). I'd venture to guess that this may be a problem any time though unless the match is streamed.

Devizz;n6872100 said:
I was thinking that one of the players might stream (he could do a private stream if he is afraid of getting sniped) and the potential casters could commentate while live streaming the said player's stream.

Not sure how many players are familar with streaming. And would be willing to do so.

Great idea and huge respect for taking the initiative to run this.

I wan't to participate so much, but can't because I'm busy on the 5th. :(

Top Bottom