Traffic need some serious rework

+
- Traffic AI is bad
- When you move camera the whole traffic behind you just respawns
- When you drive, the traffic in the distance are just some weird 2D objects which despawns and dissapear when you get closer (its not that obvious in the city but try go to badlands and you see what I am talking about)
- Traffic outside of city is almost non existent, there are just those 2D models in distance which dissapears when they get closeto you or to some spawn point, no acutal cars
- Not to mention the terrible pop in which occurs when driving even on Ultra settings

Look at this video I made:

Look how cars despawn and spawn at the intersection which I guess works as some spawn point ... same for pedestrians its really weird and immersion breaking not to mention that there are no actuall cars coming around you on the road ... I bet if I stand there for and hour no actuall car would pass me.

Seriously guys this game looks so gorgeous, and you ruining it by implementing some weird 1980 technology and visuals for the traffic inside of it ... its really weird and needs to be adressed.

yeah the 2d Nintendo 64 looking cars i also noticed in the badlands. at night it actually looks half decent like there is quite a bit of traffic. but at day its terrible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kcpme8
You'll like this clip then OP if you think what youve seen is bad. NO Spoilers in the clip for anyone worried.
ai traffic just seems non-existent at this point, cars clipping, random spawning/despawning, the clip says it all really

yeah the 2d Nintendo 64 looking cars i also noticed in the badlands. at night it actually looks half decent like there is quite a bit of traffic. but at day its terrible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kcpme8
You'll like this clip then OP if you think what youve seen is bad. NO Spoilers in the clip for anyone worried.

:DDD ... seriously glad its getting so much attention by now hope it will be adressed .... we dont need 1000 of 2D cars in the distance .... rather less but make them 3D and look normal and not despawn and spawn when you get close or too far

:DDD ... seriously glad its getting so much attention by now hope it will be adressed .... we dont need 1000 of 2D cars in the distance .... rather less but make them 3D and look normal and not despawn and spawn when you get close or too far
alot of stuff on the official Cyberpunk reddit is gaining traction which is great, Devs NEED to see its not just Technical problems and Bugs that need fixing.

Is it just me or does GTA feel like there is more traffic flowing and NPCs?
GTA has a dynamic reactive world too.

To think i was one of the people that was quick to shut down others who compared Cyberpunk2077 to GTA before its release like it wasn't worth being in the same post code... but now here i am. humbled.

- Traffic AI is bad
- When you move camera the whole traffic behind you just respawns
- When you drive, the traffic in the distance are just some weird 2D objects which despawns and dissapear when you get closer (its not that obvious in the city but try go to badlands and you see what I am talking about)
- Traffic outside of city is almost non existent, there are just those 2D models in distance which dissapears when they get closeto you or to some spawn point, no acutal cars
- Not to mention the terrible pop in which occurs when driving even on Ultra settings

Look at this video I made:

Look how cars despawn and spawn at the intersection which I guess works as some spawn point ... same for pedestrians its really weird and immersion breaking not to mention that there are no actuall cars coming around you on the road ... I bet if I stand there for and hour no actuall car would pass me.

Seriously guys this game looks so gorgeous, and you ruining it by implementing some weird 1980 technology and visuals for the traffic inside of it ... its really weird and needs to be adressed.
Also have to be a bit realistic here.

Obviously it can be improved and faked better, the AI can as well. But when that is said, people will fool themselves if they expect that CDPR doesn't have to fake some of these things somehow in order to maintain a decent fps for people that doesn't have dual RTX 3080 cards.

Having a go at them for something like this, is to go to far and far beyond what is reasonable to expect from a game with the current technologies, especially if they plan on anyone being able to play it.

Fair enough to point out that the faking ought to be tweaked or hidden better and the AI could use an improvement. But the rest is just not reasonable.

Also have to be a bit realistic here.

Obviously it can be improved and faked better, the AI can as well. But when that is said, people will fool themselves if they expect that CDPR doesn't have to fake some of these things somehow in order to maintain a decent fps for people that doesn't have dual RTX 3080 cards.

Having a go at them for something like this, is to go to far and far beyond what is reasonable to expect from a game with the current technologies, especially if they plan on anyone being able to play it.

Fair enough to point out that the faking ought to be tweaked or hidden better and the AI could use an improvement. But the rest is just not reasonable.

Sorry but thats just an excuse look at GTA V that came out in 2013 there is dense fluid traffic without crazy pop ins and ugly fake 2D models in the distance. And you dont need any extra rig to play that game today.

Drive around the city in Cyberpunk at day and look how dense the traffic could be at times, they are perfectly capable of doing dense traffic without major fps hits.

And I am also saying that they should only replace the ugly 2D sprites with something more appealing and get rid of that fake image of overly dense traffic even outside of city. There is no need for a crazy dense traffic in the badlands so why the hell it must look like there are 1000 cars driving on the freeway in the distance only to find out that when you come closer they dissapear and that you dont actually almost never meet an actual car there. Instead of 1000 2D fake images in the distance give us 50 but real cars which wont dissapear or pop in like crazy when you driving around.
Post automatically merged:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kc9r8g
Exactly what I was talking about :D ... the whole scene respawns the second you turn the camera .. glad its getting a lot of attention too

Last edited:
It's the relic impacting your vision. Lore explains everything
Na man, not in this situation. that stuff happens long before you have the chip. any chip induced hallucinations are obvious btw will static/data streams around them.
Edit: another user pointed out i may have missed the humour. if i did then well played lmao

Sorry but thats just an excuse look at GTA V that came out in 2013 there is dense fluid traffic without crazy pop ins and ugly fake 2D models in the distance. And you dont need any extra rig to play that game today.

Drive around the city in Cyberpunk at day and look how dense the traffic could be at times, they are perfectly capable of doing dense traffic without major fps hits.

And I am also saying that they should only replace the ugly 2D sprites with something more appealing and get rid of that fake image of overly dense traffic even outside of city. There is no need for a crazy dense traffic in the badlands so why the hell it must look like there are 1000 cars driving on the freeway in the distance only to find out that when you come closer they dissapear and that you dont actually almost never meet an actual car there. Instead of 1000 2D fake images in the distance give us 50 but real cars which wont dissapear or pop in like crazy when you driving around.
Im not saying that it can't be improved and in GTA, they probably have a lot of experience from former titles, and I would expect that they have also struggled with this in the beginning. And I have no doubt that CDPR will try to improve on this as well, because surely they don't think its cool either, but its no secret that the game were probably released slightly to early, so they have other concerns at the moment I would think. :)
Post automatically merged:

Na man, not in this situation. that stuff happens long before you have the chip. any chip induced hallucinations are obvious btw will static/data streams around them
Pretty sure it was a joke :p

Not touching the performance issues regarding driving in the city, but the game could definitely use more different types of motorcycles. Motorcycles are the best way to drive around since you can drive between lanes during traffic hours.

Also it would make sense for NPCs to drive motorcycles occasionally..

- Traffic AI is bad

Yes. Cars never change lines, don't try to avoid anything., stay here forever if you stay in front of them, etc. They really look fake. It need a lot of work in AI coding, pathfinding, etc

"Billboards" (2D texture on a plane mesh facing the camera) are used in almost all games (even 2020 AAA) for distant LODs.
This is the only thing they can do if you want distant traffic without having your game running at 3fps.
The problem here is :
- zooming doens't change LOD distance. Zooming should switch mesh LOD to higher LOD and it shouldn't affect performance that much because zooming decrease the field of view (so less meshes on the screen)
- Cars despawn distance doesn't match distant traffic distance so the "real traffic" and the "fake traffic" doesn't blend
- Distant traffic density doesn't match with the close traffic density
Small tweaks can make it look almost unnoticable

Top Bottom