Trials of Grasses- trials for CDPR ?

+
Yikes... O__O Those look horrible in comparison to TW3 in my opinion. I would understand the comparisons with Skyrim's flora overhaul mods, but these?.. I honestly don't think so. (Try looking at Vanishing of Ethan Carter for example ;) Although that one is not an open-world game, so comparisons must be made carefully, thinking of that aspect as well).

Yikes... O__O Those look horrible in comparison to TW3 in my opinion. I would understand the comparisons with Skyrim's flora overhaul mods, but these?.. I honestly don't think so. (Try looking at Vanishing of Ethan Carter for example ;) Although that one is not an open-world game, so comparisons must be made carefully, thinking of that aspect as well).

I have to say compared to the latest PaxEast footage regarding its lowres vegetation I prefere both of them. Especially Dear Esther is still very pretty, taken in concideration that it uses the dated Source engine. What lets me like them is the fact, that I can see real plants, which differ from another. In the last TW3 video I could mainly only see greenish glowing stuff.

Last edited:
@bartgesang

That's probably because of the region (I had this feeling that the region is not very fertile and a little colder in that footage). Look at the nVidia GDC conference video. It is pretty compressed but you can see the actual plants there.

@bartgesang

That's probably because of the region (I had this feeling that the region is not very fertile and a little colder in that footage). Look at the nVidia GDC conference video. It is pretty compressed but you can see the actual plants there.

May be. But look at this screenshot from Nowigrad from the 35. Minute - footage. I hate ot say it (really!), but it still looks sub par to me.

What adds to the problem, is maybe the fact, that because they pretty much axed herb collecting there is no need for the presentation of different blossoms any more. Even the vegetation in Wyzima in TW1 offered more variations because of this feature.

Last edited:
May be. But look at this screenshot from Nowigrad from the 35. Minute - footage. I hate ot say it (really!), but it still looks sub par to me.

Can't really argue with that, as that might still be because of the different regions, and therefore different vegetation :) Need to go and check Novigrad to see if it looks different than this, to decide. Although like I said, even with the compressed look, the GDC footage has grass that is similar to that Novigrad shot in my opinion (Of course you need to also consider that one footage has low-density sunlight because of the sunrise/sunset, while the Novigrad shot takes strong sun rays because of the noon).

Ordinary grass is the best looking in every game, and it is the most widespread in reality.
That's because grass in games has extremely poor geometry, so ordinary blades of grass look the best.

What adds to the problem, is maybe the fact, that because they pretty much axed herb collecting there is no need for the presentation of different blossoms any more. Even the vegetation in Wyzima in TW1 offered more variations because of this feature.

This is ok.
In the cities grass should not have many variations cause it's maintained.
In the wilderness, well...

All i can see in your picture is 4 different grass patches. thats it. one is red, one is yellow, one is green and one is flowery. the vegetation density is so thin we can see the ground texture beneath
If that's what you call thin density, then you just have to accept it I guess. It's not like it's gonna ruin your game (I hope).

@Kinley Sorry, back to topic (feel free to move my comments).

The grass in initial iteration of screenshots looked best to me, hell it doesn't even need any kind of modding.

I am still waiting for some screenshot or footage with grass like this, hopefully in Ultra ?

The grass in initial iteration of screenshots looked best to me, hell it doesn't even need any kind of modding.

I am still waiting for some screenshot or footage with grass like this, hopefully in Ultra ?

THANKS. i knew i couldnt be the only one that was seeing weird things with the grass. much better in the earlier builds for sure

Your welcome :)

Well I tried watching every recent video (compressed & uncompressed) both and didn't saw vegetation like this so I am optimistic that this comes from the time when CDPR was not holding the highest setting and that it still exists in the game in form of ultra.

Well I tried watching every recent video (compressed & uncompressed) both and didn't saw vegetation like this so I am optimistic that this comes from the time when CDPR was not holding the highest setting and that it still exists in the game in form of ultra.

They did say that they revamped vegetation. In 2013 reveal trailer grass didnt react to NPCs or Geralt moving through it, it was static. Now it reacts to people, creatures, wind and more, but doesnt look as dense as before. Vegetation displayed in pics you posted might no longer exist.

They did say that they revamped vegetation. In 2013 reveal trailer grass didnt react to NPCs or Geralt moving through it, it was static. Now it reacts to people, creatures, wind and more, but doesnt look as dense as before. Vegetation displayed in pics you posted might no longer exist.

I remember that the grass in second picture (with wolves) was moving in the footage, it could be scripted movement I don't know but it had some movement and not completely static, it's a pity if they had to compromise grass quality to that extent in order to make it more collision friendly. Many games including Dragon Age Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor sports a semi interactive grass such that it will make some scripted movement once the character pass through it. Still it looks great so far and probably much better on ultra. Hopefully modding can do wonders as well.

I hope we will get VGX or close quality of foliage at ultra settings, because look at it - no variety, 2d textures etc.
Almost everything besides foliage looks awesome.

I hope we will get VGX or close quality of foliage at ultra settings, because look at it - no variety, 2d textures etc.
Almost everything besides foliage looks awesome.

If there is any Photoshop guy, pleas put some sharpening filter on first pic to get "VGX quality".
The truth is that this is main difference between these two pictures.
Just take a look at Gerlat's hair at second screen, if you ever wonder why they are grey instead of somehow white, than answear to yourself if the screen wasn't touched.

Last edited:
Top Bottom