TRISS alternative Novigrad storyline

+

Guest 3874899

TRISS alternative Novigrad storyline

I felt, like many other players, that Triss was very irrelevant in the Witcher 3's story, and she was almost always just tagging along after Geralt like a cart behind a horse without any special purpose or motivation. Especially in contrast with Yennefer, Triss felt so insignificant that I felt terribly disappointed with her storyline, after all she has been such a big part of the previous games. So I invented my own version of the Novigrad storyline. I hope you like it! :) Also, any other ideas are welcome. (Since it's an alternative plot, there are some bits and pieces that are lifted over from the books and the game, but some that might contradict both the books and the game as well.)

Also, book and game SPOILERS!

NOVIGRAD - Alternative plot

Before leaving Crow's Perch, Ciri trusts the Baron enough to tell him she desperately needs to find a sorceress to help with lifting a curse. The Bloody Baron learned through his Redanian contacts that a certain red headed sorceress in Novigrad is organising the Mages Resistance, opposing the tyranny of Radovid and the Church of the Eternal Fire.
Since Ciri has no idea as to where Yennefer or Geralt could be (both have completely disappeared, as far as Ciri knows), she sets out to find this sorceress in Novigrad, and to ask for her help to solve the mystery of the phylactery. She has a very strong suspicion that the mysterious sorceress is in fact Triss Merigold, and as soon as she reaches Novigrad and sees countless placards of her on the walls of almost every house in Novigrad, her intuition proves to be true.

Triss is like a second mother or like aunt to her (as opposed to a sister), since Triss was the one who was there in Kaer Morhen with her in a critical period of childhood, when she was just about to turn into a woman. Triss had shown selfless caring and understanding in those times. Ciri has never forgotten those beautiful summer months they spent together.

The Bloody Baron warns Ciri that Triss won't be easy to find, because she has established a well-protected hiding place for mages to escape from the witch hunters. Ciri walks the streets in disguise, covers her face with a hood, so nobody could recognise her as the princess of Cintra, including Emhyr's agents. She overhears passers-by who talk about Triss Merigold. Some of them are in awe of her magical healing abilities, her kindness, her beauty and her bravery. Some other gossiping ladies think she is a blaspheming whore, who makes men fall in love with her with her witchcraft. In fact she did the opposite - she is so beautiful that she get far too much attention for her liking. They also think that her cleavage is far too deep.

Ciri easily finds Triss's former residence in the now Hierarch's Square (old 'De Vries Square', named in honour of the famous and well-respected sorceress, Tissaia de Vries).
She enters Triss's former home, which she finds to have been completely turned inside out. Furniture has been pushed aside, and books thrown all over the floor. In the bedchamber she finds the Rose of Remembrance Geralt gave Triss, hidden away in a secret cabinet. Of course, Ciri doesn't know this history, but she senses that it must be an important memento for Triss, and takes it). There is no clue whatsoever that would help her find Triss, so she leaves and continues her investigation on the streets.

Novigrad is abuzz with the latest sensation - a famous and popular bard, Dandelion, has inherited a local tavern, the Rosemary and Thyme, and is about to turn it into the biggest cabaret in the city. His tavern is centrally located and easy to find, so Ciri has no difficulty reaching the place. She manages to find Dandelion that night, on the same day she set out for Novigrad. She tells him that she has to find Triss, as she desperately needs the help of a magic-user she can trust to help with the phylactery and lifting the curse. She shows Dandelion the Rose of Remembrance. Dandelion knows what it is, as he accompanied Geralt to Flotsam and was there to witness love between the witcher and the sorceress blossom. He takes the rose from Ciri and hides it away, so he can return it to Geralt when the time is right.

There is a precarious balance of power between the mages and the fanatical witch hunter lackeys of the Church of the Eternal Fire. The hideout Triss has established is well protected by magic, and the witch hunters dare not attack it, as there are many powerful mages residing there. A siege of the hideout would undoubtedly lead to the destruction of all of Novigrad.

Radovid can't afford to raze the city, as he badly needs its resources and the money to continue his war against Nilfgaard. On the other hand, the mages cannot leave their shelter, as they would be massacred - witch hunters are patrolling every street looking for victims. The mages also cannot teleport out of the sanctuary, as Radovid's witch hunters have created an ironically magical shield around the city to prevent any teleportation in or out (Ciri can still teleport through this barrier, as her power is much stronger). Therefore, while the hideout provides protection, it has also become a prison.

The witch hunters also arrest, torture and publicly execute anyone they suspect of having the slightest connection to anything magical or alchemical, in order to scare the mages into abandoning their sanctuary. Triss often leaves the sanctuary to try and rescue these innocent people. This witch hunt is the situation Triss desperately wants to change.

The former Redanian spy, Dijkstra, has established himself as one of the Big Four crime bosses in Novigrad. Triss also knows that Vernon Roche is nearby, leading a guerilla band that raids Nilfgaardian troops. Triss and Roche were both in King Foltest's employment, and know each other well. They got to know each other even better after their adventures with Geralt in Flotsam during the search for the Kingslayer.

It seems the interests of Triss, Dijkstra and Roche align, in wanting to be rid of Radovid, and they conspire him. Triss abhors the plan and constantly feels disgusted with herself, but has no other choice. She knows that Radovid threatens not only her life, but also those of all mages and sorceresses in the entire Northern Kingdoms. It's clear that Radovid's rule can't continue if they want freedom. Therefore she has no choice but to support Dijkstra and Roche and promises to help Dijkstra become governor of Novigrad (she might not know Dijkstra has much more ambitious plans, and actually wants to be king of Redania).

In return Dijkstra helps her get information and supplies (at this point Roche can't do much to help the mages, but he plays a major part in the conspiracy against Radovid). Through Dijkstra's informers, Triss learns that Ciri has arrived in the city and is looking for her. She risks leaving the sanctuary, but never reaches Ciri. Triss sees Ciri and Dandelion from the shadows as they are looking for the sanctuary, when suddenly a whole army of witch hunters attacks the pair. Ciri is forced to use her powers and teleport, and Dandelion is captured. Triss has no choice but to escape, as she cannot hope to overpower the hunters all by herself.

So, why do the witch hunters care about Dandelion at all?
As in the game, Dandelion has inherited the Rosemary and Thyme from Whoreson Junior's art-loving father, which means that WJ holds a grudge against Dandelion. WJ has his henchmen watch the bard and waits for an opportunity to be rid of him. One of his henchmen report seeing a strange, probably magical device and hearing him and a young woman discussing Triss Merigold. Seizing this opportunity ,Whoreson tips off the witch hunters and hints that they may also capture Triss Merigold in the process.

The witch hunters find the phylactery on Dandelion and charge him with possession of illegal magical goods and alleged collaboration with mages. They take him away and throw him into their deepest dungeon. Their leader, Menge, is especially satisfied, as he has always disliked the sort of blasphemous, lecherous human rubbish that he considers Dandelion to be. The phylactery ends up in Menge's possession.

Soon after, Geralt arrives in Novigrad. The main quests would remain largely the same as in the actual game, minus the humiliating portrayal of Triss as she is forced to do rat catching and Geralt having to chase after half of Dandelion's former lovers.

In Dandelion's absence, Zoltan manages the Rosemary and Thyme. Geralt therefore goes to meet him first, as he is the easiest to find. Zoltan would then point Geralt to the oneiromancer, Corinne Tilly, as he is worried about the missing Dandelion. The oneiromancer would make Geralt dream of Dandelion and Ciri trying to contact Triss Merigold. Geralt would then set out to find Triss.

After Geralt finds Triss, they investigate together. Dijkstra's money is stolen by Whoreson Junior. Dijkstra says he will only help Triss and Geralt in finding Dandelion if they help him recover his money first. So Triss and Geralt go to WJ's hideout, and Whoreson Junior spills the information about Dandelion and the phylactery. Since he is a monster (torturing women) and also turned Dandelion and Ciri in to the witch hunters, Geralt can choose to kill Whoreson Junior.

In return for the duo's help with the now reclaimed money, Dijkstra tells them to pay a visit to Menge, saying that Menge knows exactly where Dandelion is. Triss and Geralt go to Menge (just like in the game), but instead of just searching for information they look for the phylactery as well (killing Menge in the process).

Dudu would still help in freeing Dandelion by assuming Menge's form, but he wouldn't be tortured by Whoreson Junior, just simply in hiding in Novigrad, so the theatre scene would be almost the same.

After everything is settled Triss would be the one to tell Geralt what to do with the phylactery instead of Yennefer. This would give Triss an equal part in lifting Avalla'ch's curse.
After being saved, Dandelion would give the Rose of Remembrance to Geralt.

Triss would also not have to save a completely irrelevant person (the son of Lady Vegelbud) as her main quest. Instead, for example, there could be a mole among the sorcerers whom Radovid has bought, and the mages would have to flee the city when the mole let the witch hunters into the sanctuary. Since Triss knows about Ciri, after she and Geralt successfully saved the mages and sorceresses (and dealt with the traitor and the witch hunters), she could go straight to Kaer Morhen with the phylactery (and incidentally evading having to actively participate in Radovid's murder, which would be against her principles, no matter how badly she may want it). If the player chooses to romance Triss, Geralt could give her the Rose of Remembrance after saving the mages and before Triss would leave for Kaer Morhen.

In Kaer Morhen, Yennefer, Triss, Geralt and the other witchers would break the curse together. When Geralt brings back Ciri, Triss kisses Geralt in enthusiastic joy that both are safe and sound (instead of Yennefer). Triss also wouldn't call Ciri her sister. Ciri also wouldn't call Yennefer her mother (she doesn't call Geralt father anyway...).

Triss would also want to part with politics - just like in the beginning of the Witcher 2, where she just wanted to be with Geralt. So she wouldn't want to go to Kovir to be an advisor in the Witcher 3 either. Triss would just want a home and some peace with Geralt.

Triss could also generally be a much more mature character (i.e. being less bitchy and hysterical). Maturity, determination, kindness and a sense of humour (which would have been a nice addition to Triss's personality) don't exclude each other. While we don't know Triss's exact age, even if she is just the age of a normal adult, by that stage in their lives, most people have lost their school-girlish annoying selves, especially if they've been through as much as she has.

This version of Triss would be much more complex and intriguing than she has ever been in the books, but since the previous games have built her up so much, I think she deserved to have a better, much more interesting personality than she had in this game.

That's all, I hope you found it interesting! :) Sorry for the length... :)
Thanks for reading!

In Kaer Morhen, Yennefer, Triss, Geralt and the other witchers would break the curse together. When Geralt brings back Ciri, Triss kisses Geralt in enthusiastic joy that both are safe and sound (instead of Yennefer). Triss also wouldn't call Ciri her sister. Ciri also wouldn't call Yennefer her mother (she doesn't call Geralt father anyway...).

Triss was never a mother figure to Ciri and I don't thing it should change just becouse someone in a game choose Triss as a partner for Geralt. Yennefer is a adoptive mother to Ciri.

Last edited:
Moved into Fan Art on the assumption that the OP wishes this to be read as fan fiction rather than a suggestion :)

Nice plot! :)
With that Triss could finally have powerful spells that REALLY helps Geralt take on witch hunters, no matter how many are there.
I imagine her like Lina Inverse of DOTA, but her damage is really puny during the story.

Guest 3874899

Thank you, justified! Sorry for putting it into the wrong subforum!

---------- Updated at 11:19 AM ----------

Triss was never a mother figure to Ciri and I don't thing it should change just becouse someone in a game choose Triss as a partner for Geralt. Yennefer is a adoptive mother to Ciri.

I mainly meant to indicate that for Ciri Triss isn't really a sister figure either. (It's also not 'just because', as this is one of the emotionally most important decisions for gamers in the Witcher 3. Ciri calling Triss her sister makes Geralt romancing Triss and his previous relationship with Triss quite weird.) After all enlightening her about periods and such, I think these are stuff that usually a mum does. True, Triss has never wanted to claim Ciri as her child, but the short role she played in her life I think is closer to that of a mother's as opposed to a sister's.
I understand that's how it is in the books, however I think this change might have benefited the game (since it's not a strict adaptation of the books anyway). Oh well, this is my personal opinion. :)

---------- Updated at 11:22 AM ----------

Nice plot! :)
With that Triss could finally have powerful spells that REALLY helps Geralt take on witch hunters, no matter how many are there.
I imagine her like Lina Inverse of DOTA, but her damage is really puny during the story.

Yay, thanks! :)
Yeah, I thought she could have spells that actually do damage. On Death March difficulty when breaking into Ermion's laboratory I just sat back comfortably and watched as Yennefer nuked the guardian or whatever :D I don't say Triss should've been equally powerful, but something close would have been nice! :)

No worries dude!
Based on your plot, Triss is frequently chased by witch hunters and I doubt that they only go in pairs. Since she's like the resistance leader, an army of 20-30 should be running after her. Could be the key for the developers to put high damage dealt by her spells, besides, they're mostly fire - fire hurts. LOL

I mainly meant to indicate that for Ciri Triss isn't really a sister figure either. (It's also not 'just because', as this is one of the emotionally most important decisions for gamers in the Witcher 3. Ciri calling Triss her sister makes Geralt romancing Triss and his previous relationship with Triss quite weird.) After all enlightening her about periods and such, I think these are stuff that usually a mum does. True, Triss has never wanted to claim Ciri as her child, but the short role she played in her life I think is closer to that of a mother's as opposed to a sister's.
I understand that's how it is in the books, however I think this change might have benefited the game (since it's not a strict adaptation of the books anyway). Oh well, this is my personal opinion. :)

Triss was the one who referred to Ciri as her little sister. She defintely doesn't consider herself to be Ciri's mother. And Ciri probably considers Triss to be a close friend, not necessarily a big sister.

Guest 3874899

Triss was the one who referred to Ciri as her little sister. She defintely doesn't consider herself to be Ciri's mother.

These I know. (Though on 2nd or 3rd? playthrough I noticed that Philippa said it too when she was having her fun with Geralt in the cave :D ) Just this whole underlying suggestion that they treat each other as sisters was just disturbing as hell :) especially if you think about it from the perspective of the Witcher 2, where Geralt and Triss were a couple.

Top Bottom