Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
But is asking for too much better? We paid for the game, the DEVs don't owe us anything. The fact that they decided to fix the inconsistencies is a huge deal. No one is ever going to be happy with a little, it just isn't human nature. But demanding or pleading for new content isn't going to make them do it. I would be happy for new content too and I would gladly pay for it. I just think we should be happy with what we are given and maybe wait to see what actually happens rather than asking for more. I hate being "Mum" but just try being practical.

I think the game needs much more than that.More developement for the Wild Hunt,improved act 3 ect.

I agree with you on that. What Triss content needs is consistency and a fair treatment throughout the relationship. I'm totally with you that in fact act 3 is lacking for all of the characters.

Hey guys, I woke up to over 15 pages and I read it all and now that I caught up I just wanted to say good stuff folks.

In defense of Saladin1701,

He/she is not saying that they should rewrite the whole storyline, what I think saladin is trying to say is that if we keep our request minimum we will get minimum effort. Triss role needs work no doubt about that.

[...]

I agree with everything you said, but I think that Saladin was asking for more Triss-related content just because Yennefer has way more. In my opinion, Yen having more content is natural because she is much more important in the main story. We can't ask CDPR to add more Triss content just because it's not balanced with Yen. I just said we should focus on the inconsistencies that exist in the current romance in a realistic manner, as you similarly said in your post:

Yennefer is more important than Triss in TW3 storyline. We can't expect that to change, it would mean rewriting almost everything and it probably would not make sense. I don't think that Triss necessarily needs more quests (though I would love that). The game just needs to acknowledge and react accordingly to choosing Triss over Yen. It doesn't make sense that you can't talk to your lover before a really important battle where you both could die, or after losing someone important. That's what needs to be fixed, I don't see it as new content, but as small fixes/additions.

But is asking for too much better? We paid for the game, the DEVs don't owe us anything. The fact that they decided to fix the inconsistencies is a huge deal. No one is ever going to be happy with a little, it just isn't human nature. But demanding or pleading for new content isn't going to make them do it. I would be happy for new content too and I would gladly pay for it. I just think we should be happy with what we are given and maybe wait to see what actually happens rather than asking for more. I hate being "Mum" but just try being practical.

Lol i don't see your comment as a mommy comment and i agreed on what you said.

Asking for new Triss stuff won't hurt us, like my poppa used to tell me: The worst thing you can get is a no.

Last edited:
I agree with all of you Act 3 is not particularly strong...the biggest evidence beside "Well"? It's Fringilla. There is absolutely NO point in rescuing her! For what 2 lines of dialouge?

And yes I know they needed allies, but at least Fringilla (and Triss...you thought I was going to leave her out didn't you :smoke:) could have been the one to get the Sunstone, as Phillipa got her time to shine with the stuff in Novigrad. Or bring them all with you!

In fact wasn't Geralt and Fringilla an item once? See even more dynamic conversations, Fringilla could have approved or criticized Geralt's relationship with either Triss or Yen if taken during the sunstone quest...

Hey guys, I woke up to over 15 pages and I read it all and now that I caught up I just wanted to say good stuff folks.

In defense of Saladin1701,

He/she is not saying that they should rewrite the whole storyline, what I think saladin is trying to say is that if we keep our request minimum we will get minimum effort. Triss role needs work no doubt about that.

I'm saying the romance - whether it involves Triss or Yen as the primary love interest - needs a re-write because of the way it ignores the players choice of Triss and assumes the choice is Yen. That's what needs to be changed. The game needs to recognise Triss as a valid choice. Furthermore, Triss needs more interaction in the game, both between the protagonist and his ward because she has a long standing history with both of them which is also ignored in favour of Yennefer. I am not suggesting the entire plot is re-written because that would be stupid.

When I talk about a re-write, I don't mean throw the story out the window and start again, I mean make structural changes to the plot that allows the choice of Triss as Geralt's lover to be as valid as the choice of Yen. If you choose to rekindle your romance with Triss, the game never recognises that. The writing, the plot, the NPCs all assume you chose Yen. It makes for a muddled mess if you choose Triss.

That requires more content to be added.

- Why did Geralt and Triss split up after TW2 despite that game's ending being to the contrary?
- Why are Mages being tied to stakes and burnt on pyres? The explanation, such as it is ("It's Radovid's fault") comes much later in the game.
- Who is the Church of the Eternal Fire?
- What has Triss been doing the last six months? When you arrive she's only just fled her house on the main square so events are recent.
- Triss needs to be at Kaer Morhen at the beginning of Act 2, not the end, so that the story flows more naturally.
- The plot needs to recognise your choice of romance, not ignore it in favour of Yen as it currently does.
- Similarly you need to be able to tell the NPCs who assume you're still with Yen that you're now with Triss.
- Triss and Yennefer are, as I understand it, best friends yet there is no confrontation or reconciliation over him choosing Triss over Yen.
- Triss sees Ciri as her kid sister yet there is precisely no interaction between the two during Act 3.
- Yennefer has two sex scenes with Geralt further validating their relationship. Triss has one.
- Triss needs more than a single word - "Well?" - as part of her dialogue choice in Act 3. She's reduced to a background NPC for its duration.
- Your romantic partner of choice should be with Ciri at the Inn if you choose that ending.

In fact, to some extent having all three there would make sense and would bring closure to that part of the story.

Geralt and Yennefer going with Ciri to Avallach's lab makes perfect sense since they are, in essence, her parents, but there are other opportunities for Triss to accompany you. For example, being able to choose which Sorceress you want to search for the Sun Stone with. Triss or Yen could just as easily raise Phillipa's plot to oust Yen as Ciri's Imperial advisor and would actually make more sense than Phillipa blurting it out to Geralt when he's so close to Yen regardless of whether she's his lover or not. Again this is an example of the writing being clumsy.

These are the structural changes that need to be made in order for the story to make more sense than it currently does. None of these changes require a re-write of the plot, they require additional dialogue to be included and new content to be added. This will achieve two things. A) Bring parity between Yennefer and Triss as romance options. B) The story will make more sense. This doesn't require major changes to the main plot nor the way the game plays and so should be relatively simple to achieve. The reason I've been raising this is because I don't believe the changes announced go far enough to address the issues but we'll see.

Last edited:
After being on holiday for a week and being completely offline, imagine my joy at coming back to news that they will be addressing the inconsistencies in the Triss romance. That makes me one very happy bunny. Once again CD Projekt red really showing themselves to be topnotch in terms of response feedback they can see as having some validity. It'll be really interesting to see how they tweak things.

In one respect it's sad to see the old thread got closed but it served its purpose and got the feedback out there. Now to wait patiently. My current run will probably stay paused till these changes go live.

Last edited:
After being on holiday for a week and being completely offline, imagine my joy at coming back to news that they will be addressing the inconsistencies in the Triss romance. That makes me one very happy bunny. Once again CD Projekt red really showing themselves to be topnotch in terms of response feedback they can see as having some validity. It'll be really interesting to see how they tweak things.

I hope they also make extra Triss stuff

I would consider it reasonable to see (IF possible) Triss in the expansion in Toussaint, it seems there's peace in that region so maybe there could be more situations where Triss can shine in the political arena, intrigues, magic quests and out in open field since she wasn't hesitant to walk around the sewers with Geralt. When she is not persecuted she is fine in going wherever it needs to be like in the Witcher 2 at Flotsam. Just saying there's a lot of potential for good quests and stories while having Triss along.

What do you all think about the possibility of Triss appearing in the upcoming expansions? Do you think it might happen, or do you think Marcin's statement that we shouldn't expect "new content" precludes this?

You would think that would be a great way to kill two birds with one stone. CDPR has promised to make Triss and Geralt's relationship more reactive and consistent ... why not allow Triss to accompany Geralt on a few of the missions in Hearts of Stone or Blood and Wine?

I'm not sure if his statement pertained solely to the main game, or whether he was referencing all future releases as well. Blood and Wine, in particular, would be a great place to revisit their relationship. "An atmosphere of carefree indulgence and knightly ritual" puts me in mind of the masquerade at the Vegelbud Estate.

I would love her to present in one of the expansions in some manner. Even if its just one quest(say saving a Koviri ambassador from Nilfgaardian hands) with different quests featuring other core characters. On cloud 9 as it is with the news of changes to help consistency and reactivity being confirmed.

I think the game needs much more than that.More developement for the Wild Hunt,improved act 3 ect.

Maybe we already going to get that by asking for moar Triss content:
The biggest issue that we as a team identified with the Triss situation is that the current implementation does not really represent the very core design philosophy we hold dear. Namely, that your choices carry consequences and those consequences WILL present themselves to you.
This doesn't include better wild hunt, but it can be better act3 and not only for Triss :)

Edit sorry for the quote mistake, I take it from the OP but it come from @GingerEffect of course ^^

True love @ 1440p

Original

Original

Last edited:
Ok Triss fans, as someone who hasn't played the other games or read any of the books, sell me on Triss, why do you guys think she's so great? Cause there wasn't much in the way of interaction in TW3

Ok Triss fans, as someone who hasn't played the other games or read any of the books, sell me on Triss, why do you guys think she's so great? Cause there wasn't much in the way of interaction in TW3

That's the entire point. That lack of interaction is the cause of the discontent. To answer the first part of your question, it was already asked a few pages back. Here was my response, quoting the original question so you can back track and view other opinions from there:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/51724-Triss-Merigold-(all-spoilers)/page67

Oh and at least go play The Witcher 2. It's a bloody good game and The Witcher 3 will make a whole lot more sense if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom