Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, do not get me wrong, I like and I am also a fan of Triss, but no use trying to hide past events.
Triss in the lodge did nothing to help Geralt, still did not help Yen nor Ciri, all the growth in the lodge. And voted to release Ciri to see Geralt also go to her.
Fringilla Vigo restored Geralt helped in research, created a new amulet and still spoke the truth about Yennefer.

In other words, Triss wanted influence in the lodge as well as any witch want. She did good thing ... did ... but does not cancel the wrong. It has a positive balance? Yes. But not to say that there were no errors.

That's what I wanted some fans agree, but some put it on the pedestal as a saint.

---------- Updated at 03:17 AM ----------

Maybe you've misunderstood something from this book? I'll help you:
Fringilla Vigo was following orders from the Lodge: she seduced Geralt, preventing him from getting out of Toussaint and finding Vilgefortz before them. After that she tried to learn where Vilgefortz resided, and he deceived her.

Yes initially, yes, but everyone who slept with Geralt falls for the honey D *** it. In the end she broke the rules helped and told about the Yen.

And Geralt still lied to her.

Sorry answer only now, but it was busy.

Last edited:
Well, do not get me wrong, I like and I am also a fan of Triss, but no use trying to hide past events.
Triss in the lodge did nothing to help Geralt, still did not help Yen nor Ciri, all the growth in the lodge. And voted to release Ciri to see Geralt also go to her.
Fringilla Vigo restored Geralt helped in research, created a new amulet and still spoke the truth about Yennefer.

In other words, Triss wanted influence in the lodge as well as any witch want. She did good thing ... did ... but does not cancel the wrong. It has a positive balance? Yes. But not to say that there were no errors.

That's what I wanted some fans agree, but some put it on the pedestal as a saint.
I love Triss because she is "alive" with advantages and disadvantages. She done good and bad things, she have pluses and minuses. And I love her because of that all.

I love Yen because of this too, but Triss I love a little bit more.

-Triss think the Lodge's principle is to protect mage and their interest, but is Phillipa follow this one ?
-In short, the Lodge ideal are just, what Phillipa and some other sorceresses did is unjust. I am gladly accept that Triss had some serious flaw in the past, it just make me like her more, well "other team" have said...."nobody perfect" ;)
-And she had apologize for every mistake she made either by action or word, so no use dwell on the past. Remember people tend to forgive person/character they like quickly than other :lol:

For.me, Triss isn't the type of living in the village and brew potions while Geralt running around hunting drowner. She want to do something good for people (mage especially), and ingame she can only do it in Kovir (with or without Geralt)

Vigo, i don't have enough info so no comment :lol:

Yes initially, yes, but everyone who slept with Geralt falls for the honey D *** it. In the end she broke the rules helped and told about the Yen.
Sorry but this is not true. Geralt learned that info not from Vigo. First of all Yennefer was in Vilgeforz castle and lodge didn't know where it is. And it's was Vigo who ask Geralt where he is going.

Sorry but this is not true. Geralt learned that info not from Vigo. First of all Yennefer was in Vilgeforz castle and lodge didn't know where it is. And it's was Vigo who ask Geralt where he is going.

Geralt learned about Vigelfortz in the cave but he said nothing to Vigo and she then said that Yennefer was not a traitor. Before leaving Geralt spoke the wrong location Vigelfortz to Vigo.

John Myers: My uncle used to say that we like people for their qualities but we love them for their defects.

:hmm: Triss, what of your mistake ? Many still believe that you betrayed Yen, Geralt, Ciri
:envy: I don't think i care anymore. Those whose opinions I value, well, they know the truth and forgive me

Just replay the elven bath, remember now that Triss can drop everything - the trapping of court life, politics, the regicides...She can even live in Kaer Mohen it just up to Geralt. Ahhhh Love, love never change

I love Yen because of this too, but Triss I love a little bit more.

You...you were a chosen one.....I trusted you 0nakita....

Fixed :lol:

I love Yen because of this too, but Triss I love much much more.

Kidding, of course :evil:

You...you were a chosen one.....I trusted you 0nakita....
I love You too

---------- Updated at 01:47 PM ----------

"huge betrayal" not from my point of view :)
Same here!

Triss was the younger from sorceresses and sometimes she acted like young and foolish.
Like teenagers in school when they are not the most popular and some popular girls from school for some reasons take them under their wing. The same was with Triss, and she felt hers importance, however it was not significant and misleading.
And she was under Philippa's influence and trusted that hers intentions was for good cause for mages and she believed that Lodge will help and protect Ciri and their plan for marriage with Tankred and Ciri was only for good cause. And she thought that Yennefer was a traitor who was working with Vilgefortz, later she understood that she was wrong about Yennefer.
So I don't think it was betrayal, it was foolishness to not trusting Yen, 'cos she was calling for Triss as for her friend!

Last edited:
So I don't think it was betrayal, it was foolishness to not trusting Yen, 'cos she was calling for Triss as for her friend!

Lack of experience and wisdom. And her generally naive, altruistic view on the world around her.

It feels like they've managed to keep this part of her personality in Witcher 3, but somehow make her a little more grown up and mature. Seeing this growth in her character was really interesting.

I still think she is miles behind Geralt and Yen though, but that's not a bad thing.

For me in games especially in TW3 grown up and became more confident and courageous, and reached to Geralt, to reach Yen she need more time.

To me, it feels more that she looks up to Geralt. She witnessed numerous times Geralt breaking his neutrality and helping those in need (usually persecuted non humans).
It feels like she has taken on a role of a mage savior to be more like him and maybe even impress him.

For me in games especially in TW3 grown up and became more confident and courageous

After the pogrom in Rivia I expected to see her a lot more confident, actually. Leaving aside her image in TW1, she was not very secure and confident when she met Sheala, and when (if) she talked with Philippa via megascope in TW2.

Yet in TW3 things didn't grow any better. She's distressed and seeking for moral support from Geralt, her voice is full of the same old fear when she's remembering her moment of torture at witchhunters' headquarters, she literally losing her mind when they got stuck in sewers in 'Now or Never'. It's a normal human reaction for such events, but it's not who she is supposed to become, powerful sorceress with huge experience, The Fourteenth from the Hill:

In the annals there is no shortage of other examples of courage and heroism from Venerable Triss, some even call her chronically fearless
(The Lady of the Lake)

I honestly think that she deserved a more strong image in games than she actually got. But it's ok, since overcoming demons from the past is a long and hard process, it's plausible.

her voice is full of the same old fear when she's remembering her moment of torture at witchhunters' headquarters,
Don't know, 'cos I used torture option only for screenshots with badass Triss.
she literally losing her mind when they got stuck in sewers in 'Now or Never'
Haven't noticed it.

she was not very secure and confident when she met Sheala, and when (if) she talked with Philippa via megascope in TW2.
She was cunning, so Sile and Philippa won't consider her as a threat, IMO.

Haven't noticed it.

There's a part of the sewers where you have to break a wall with Aard to advance into library - if you turned to the left instead of that, into the blocked corridor, you'd hear a mini-hysteria :)

She was cunning, so Sile and Philippa won't consider her as a threat, IMO.

Why would they even should considered her as a threat? Geralt & Co. didn't even started a confrontation with Lodge on the matter of assassination of the kings by that moment. They had a common goal, actually - to find Letho

Last edited:
They had a common goal, actually - to find Letho
They wanted to be first.
There's a part of the sewers where you have to break a wall with Aard to advance into library - if you turned to the left instead of that, into the blocked corridor, you'd hear a mini-hysteria
Will try it, but I think it because teenager still here inside her, and I love her for what she is.

After the pogrom in Rivia I expected to see her a lot more confident, actually. Leaving aside her image in TW1, she was not very secure and confident when she met Sheala, and when (if) she talked with Philippa via megascope in TW2.

Just re-watch Witcher 2 scene when Triss talk with Philippa, and i must say Triss really confident when the two talking ...
Yet in TW3 things didn't grow any better. She's distressed and seeking for moral support from Geralt, her voice is full of the same old fear when she's remembering her moment of torture at witchhunters' headquarters,

Also re-watch, if you choose:
-After you killed Menge, you looked...shocked: Triss said " What do you (Geralt) want her to do ? Conjure up a cloud of butterflies ?" :lol: AND "she already have nightmare about mage burnning in pyre already" so Triss don't care much about the torture
-How is your hand: "It will heal, and it is my idea so please shut up Geralt ..."

Sorry but i don't find any fear in those dialogue :( I just think Triss feel annoyed because Geralt is too overprotective to her ...

she literally losing her mind when they got stuck in sewers in 'Now or Never'. It's a normal human reaction for such events, but it's not who she is supposed to become, powerful sorceress with huge experience, The Fourteenth from the Hill:

Consider she plan for month to get the mage to safety and *boom* entire city lock up, mage hunter go search every house. Damn imagine the stress.

I honestly think that she deserved a more strong image in games than she actually got. But it's ok, since overcoming demons from the past is a long and hard process, it's plausible.

Hope she will improve her confident in the future, hopefully ....

Last edited:
Just re-watch Witcher 2 scene when Triss talk with Philippa, and i must say Triss really confident when the two talking ...

Aye, I exaggerated it a bit, but it's still not a dialogue of equals. Philippa is raising her voice without receiving setback.

Also re-watch, if you choose:
-After you killed Menge, you looked...shocked: Triss said " What do you (Geralt) want her to do ? Conjure up a cloud of butterflies ?" :lol: AND "she already have nightmare about mage burnning in pyre already" so Triss don't care much about the torture
-How is your hand: "It will heal, and it is my idea so please shut up Geralt ..."

Sorry but i don't find any fear in those dialogue :( I just think Triss feel annoyed because Geralt is too overprotective to her ...

Nah, wrong dialogue. In the beginning of 'A Matter of Life and Death' Triss talking about Vegelbud's servant, and there's three options to answer: accept quest, reject quest, 'What's you afraid of?'. In last case she's talking how's she afraid now being caught again. When I heard it, I: a) was ashamed; b) remembered Yen's thoughts about Triss' fear issues:

'Let's go... Yenna... Run!'

I've already heard that voice, Yennefer thought. From those lips that look wooded, without a droplet of saliva to wet them. from those lips that is paralysed with terror and shakes with panic. I've already heard that voice. On the Hill at Sodden.
When she was dying in fear.
Now you're dying in fear again. Until the end of my days you're going to be scared to death. Because those who do not break the cowardice, will be scared to death until the end of their days.

The fingers that Triss dug into her arm were like steel, Yennefer liberated herself from the grip with a great effort.

BTW, just found this quote in English fan-translation, and there are huge semantic mistakes, which I marked in bold. In Polish there are no pronouns in last sentences of Yen's thoughts, but it's clear that she's talking about Triss and with Triss.

- Uciekajmy stąd... Yenna... Ucie... kajmy...

Słyszałam ją mówiącą takim głosem, przemknęło przez głowę Yennefer. Wargami, które są jak z drewna, których nie zwilża nawet kropelka śliny. Wargami, które paraliżuje lęk, którymi trzęsie panika. Słyszałam ją, mówiącą takim głosem. Na wzgórzu Sodden.
Gdy umierała ze strachu.
Teraz też umiera ze strachu. Do końca życia będzie umierać ze strachu. Bo ten, kto raz nie złamie w sobie tchórzostwa, będzie umierał ze strachu do końca swoich dni.

Palce, które Triss wczepiła jej w ręka, były jak ze stali, Yennefer wyzwoliła się z ich chwytu z najwyższym wysiłkiem.

Last edited:
'Let's go... Yenna... Run!'

I've already heard that voice, Yennefer thought. From those lips that look wooded, without a droplet of saliva to wet them. from those lips that is paralysed with terror and shakes with panic. I've already heard that voice. On the Hill at Sodden.
When she was dying in fear.
Now you're dying in fear again. Until the end of my days you're going to be scared to death. Because those who do not break the cowardice, will be scared to death until the end of their days.

The fingers that Triss dug into her arm were like steel, Yennefer liberated herself from the grip with a great effort.

Well, when things got tough it was Yennefer that wanted to teleport away and it was Triss overcame her fears in the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom