Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Philippa is part of the Lodge, which is essential to the main plot.
2. How is she supposed to know you didn't visit the Emperor and Ciri isn't going to be an Empress?
3. How is mentioning it again connected with anything?
4. Taking Yen away has nothing to do with romance.
5. Switching any characters is just bullshit.

1. No it's not. It has absolutely nothing to do with the main plot in The Witcher 3. The Lodge was disbanded at the end of The Witcher 2. The reason they need to reform it in The Witcher 3 is because they need powerful magic to anchor the Naglfar to the world, preventing its escape. That's what the plot needs, not Philippa, not the Lodge. The story would be unchanged if it was Ermion and the Druids casting the powerful magic.

2. How is she supposed to know that the Emperor wants Ciri to become Emprress in the first place? She spends the entirety of the first two acts trapped in Owl form. Geralt doesn't mention it to Zoltan whilst he 'owns' her so there is no way she can know.

3. It's connected to everything. It's a conspiracy that is never developed.

4. So taking your ex away with you and your current partner is something she's likely to be happy with?

5. Why?

1. Philippa is part of the Lodge, which is essential to the main plot.
I wouldn't call them essential. There is no real reason why this plot point was written in that way in the first place.
Why are exactly 5 mages needed? They could have written that the 3 mages, who are there anyway, are enough. I'm sure Avallac'h is more powerful than any of the lodge sorceress and he knows Aen Elle magic.
They could have let Moussesack's druids take the part of the lodge sorceresses
They could have have used Emhyr's mages to help Triss and Yen.
They could have just written that Eredin will be too proud too flee in the first place and there is no need for magic
The whole "we need lodge sorceresses", which we see for 10 seconds was just an excuse to include the rescue mission in Nobivrad and the Emhyr's boat mission in Skellige. Though I don't think any of them had any purpose or added anything to the game. Quite the opposite, it hurted the 3rd act imo.
The whole section after Kaer Morhen should have been dedicated to three things:
a) Aen Elle, including the Wild Hunt
b) White Frost
c) Relationship between Geralt and Ciri
I'm convinced if they would have cut out every mission that didn't have anything to do with these three points and replaced them with content that adds to them (like the cut miussion "In search for Caranthir", a look on the relationship between Avallac'h and his "creation" Caranthir would have been thousand times more interesting than breaking into a prison to save Margarita for a 10seconds cameo=) the third act wouldn't have been such a mess.

Though I agree that replacing any character just for "more romance" time is ridiculous. No matter how unimportant the character might be for the plot.

Why? What does Philippa as a character, bring to the plot? Not a sorceress. Specifically Philippa? What does she bring that drives the plot?
Because you need most expirienced sorceress for the sunstone quest, and that is Philippa most powerful and most expirienced of all lodge members on Skellige, you can`t put LI everywhere

Last edited:
Why should Red replace a Sorceress with a love interest?

There's already too much romance in game, even if kinda flawed.

We have Triss everywhere in Three games, so I would rather have any other Sorceress whenever I can.

1. No it's not. It has absolutely nothing to do with the main plot in The Witcher 3. The Lodge was disbanded at the end of The Witcher 2. The reason they need to reform it in The Witcher 3 is because they need powerful magic to anchor the Naglfar to the world, preventing its escape. That's what the plot needs, not Philippa, not the Lodge. The story would be unchanged if it was Ermion and the Druids casting the powerful magic.

2. How is she supposed to know that the Emperor wants Ciri to become Emprress in the first place? She spends the entirety of the first two acts trapped in Owl form. Geralt doesn't mention it to Zoltan whilst he 'owns' her so there is no way she can know.

3. It's connected to everything. It's a conspiracy that is never developed.

4. So taking your ex away with you and your current partner is something she's likely to be happy with?

5. Why?

lol, there's obviously no point discussing it with you.

They could have let Moussesack's druids take the part of the lodge sorceresses
They could have have used Emhyr's mages to help Triss and Yen.

Yeah, they could've done that, but why would they? Lodge sorceresses are already "established" characters. It would be pretty weird if they chose some unknow no-name mages instead.

What does any other character bring to the plot? Maybe you'd like to switch Zoltan for Triss as well? Or Priscilla?

Triss is part of a complex love triangle involving Geralt and Yennefer. She is intimately connected with Geralt's and Yennefer's character development. Yennefer is Geralt's partner of some twenty years. She's also the mother figure for Ciri. Ciri is the daughter of Geralt (the protagonist) and Yennefer (the protagonist's former/current partner depending upon choices made). Eredin is the antagonist of the game. He has a history with Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri. Avallach is a random element, one that may or may not be trustworthy but one who has a level of distrust from Geralt and Yennefer, specifically in his motivations for helping their daughter.

These are A-list characters.

Philippa, Margarita and Fringilla are a former members of a lodge that no longer exists. Dijkstra is the former head of Redanian intelligence and one of four mobsters in the city of Novigrad. Philip Stringer knows the whereabouts of Ciri.

These are B-list characters.

Zoltan and Dandelion are friends of Geralt, know Triss, Ciri and Yen but have no specific relationship with them or the Wild Hunt. Whoreson Junior is one of the four bosses and had dealings with Ciri. Cleaver is another Boss who can help you find Dandelion. Francis Bedlam is the fourth boss and provides the introduction of Triss to the game.

These are C-list characters.

The A-list characters are essential to the plot. They're an integral part of it or interlinked with the development of other key characters. They simply cannot be removed without irreparably changing the plot. The B-list characters are essential for certain plot lines within the over all story. They are of secondary importance but their removal in favour of other characters would not change the plot. C-list characters have no meaningful affect on the plot in any way. They can easily be changed out for others.

As I said, you can take any of the lodge out of the plot and the plot doesn't collapse. I can argue this all day but this is a Triss thread. if you want to discuss the importance of certain characters to the plot then start a new thread.

Yeah, they could've done that, but why would they? Lodge sorceresses are already "established" characters. It would be pretty weird if they chose some unknow no-name mages instead.

Because the whole plotpoint that "we need lodge sorceresses to stop the Naglfar from fleeing" was pointless in the first place. It didn't add anything to the story.
I find it rather illogical as Eredin would rather die than flee from some (inferior) humans.
Instead of using ressources to write two completely pointless missions (saving Margarita and Fringilla) they could have written two missions, which would have added to the main plot. Especially the Wild Hunt and White Frost deeply needed more characterization.

I really think that something should be ADDED to Triss romance, not DETRACTED from other characters present in the game. ;)

Of course you can but consider for a moment, the work involved. Creating a new quest means new writing, potentially new characters, potentially new area, new scripts, new cut scenes, new animations, and a lot more dialogue needed. I'm trying to present ideas that minimise the amount of work needed. Replacing Philippa with Triss in the Sun Stone only needs Geralt's and Triss' actors to re-record new dialogue. Everything else stays the same. It's less work intensive.

I really think that something should be ADDED to Triss romance, not DETRACTED from other characters present in the game. ;)

Patch 1.12: Add a companion system

Now you can bring anyone who is apporiate for the time ingame. For example:
-In Norvigad, you can bring Triss with you in every quest. Hell you can even bring Dudu, one Geralt is never enough
-In Skellige, you can bring Yennefer with you in every quest or Cerys :wub: (Add Cerys romance options)
-In Velen, hmmmm.... we will add later

In Act 3, you can bring Vigo, Magarita or even Avallach with you to visit his lab.

Happy ending

Of course you can but consider for a moment, the work involved. Creating a new quest means new writing, potentially new characters, potentially new area, new scripts, new cut scenes, and a lot more dialogue needed. I'm trying to present ideas that minimise the amount of work needed.
And this is why they would probably change existing Triss+Geralt scenes, it's the easiest way, I think, and they wouldn't have to sacrifice other characters' timing for LI.

Triss is part of a complex love triangle involving Geralt and Yennefer. She is intimately connected with Geralt's and Yennefer's character development. Yennefer is Geralt's partner of some twenty years. She's also the mother figure for Ciri. Ciri is the daughter of Geralt (the protagonist) and Yennefer (the protagonist's former/current partner depending upon choices made). Eredin is the antagonist of the game. He has a history with Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri. Avallach is a random element, one that may or may not be trustworthy but one who has a level of distrust from Geralt and Yennefer, specifically in his motivations for helping their daughter.

These are A-list characters.

Philippa, Margarita and Fringilla are a former members of a lodge that no longer exists. Dijkstra is the former head of Redanian intelligence and one of four mobsters in the city of Novigrad. Philip Stringer knows the whereabouts of Ciri.

These are B-list characters.

Zoltan and Dandelion are friends of Geralt, know Triss, Ciri and Yen but have no specific relationship with them or the Wild Hunt. Whoreson Junior is one of the four bosses and had dealings with Ciri. Cleaver is another Boss who can help you find Dandelion. Francis Bedlam is the fourth boss and provides the introduction of Triss to the game.

These are C-list characters.

The A-list characters are essential to the plot. They're an integral part of it or interlinked with the development of other key characters. They simply cannot be removed without irreparably changing the plot. The B-list characters are essential for certain plot lines within the over all story. They are of secondary importance but their removal in favour of other characters would not change the plot. C-list characters have no meaningful affect on the plot in any way. They can easily be changed out for others.

Do you know what 'rhetorical question' is?

And this is why they would probably change existing Triss+Geralt scenes, it's the easiest way, I think, and they wouldn't have to sacrifice other characters' timing for LI.

Problem with that is Triss gets very little screen time in Act 2 and virtually none in Act 3. There's nothing there to add to. To successfully develop Triss you need to add more details.

On the wider discussion guys, the list I wrote is my wish list. Rather than arguing the finer points of mine, why not present your own? What value is there in this thread for the devs if all we ever talk about is the books? Present what you​ would like to see as improvements to the character of Triss, not just the romance.

Do you know what 'rhetorical question' is?
I'm sorry, but your responses are starting to become rather unfair - your previous post was a valid question and I don't see it as rhetorical at all, @saladin1701 wrote a very well written response to it.

---------- Updated at 01:18 PM ----------

Patch 1.12: Add a companion system

Now you can bring anyone who is apporiate for the time ingame. For example:
-In Norvigad, you can bring Triss with you in every quest. Hell you can even bring Dudu, one Geralt is never enough
-In Skellige, you can bring Yennefer with you in every quest or Cerys (Add Cerys romance options)
-In Velen, hmmmm.... we will add later

In Act 3, you can bring Vigo, Magarita or even Avallach with you to visit his lab.

Happy ending

Yeah I suggested this in another thread, unfortunately many people seem against it :/

I wouldn't mind bringing Triss to all my side quests :p

The plot could quite easily have done without them but this discussion is going on elsewhere, let's stay on topic.

From a Triss romance perspective (and I want a lot more than just Triss sorting out but since this is the Triss thread), I'd like to see this:

+ Context for the breakup provided; When, why and where?
+ Her to provide more background on the Church of the Eternal Fire and the Witch Hunters.
+ The ability to give her back the Rose of Remembrance. Preferably at the docks in Now or Never.
+ Short cut scene showing it bloom once more [Reason to stay].
+ Her to appear at the start of Act 2 in Kaer Morhen.
+ Some form of (non violent) confrontation/argument between Triss and Yen over sleeping/seducing Geralt.
+ Reconciliation over what happened.
+ Triss added to the drinking scene; Potential love making scene, same as Yen romance.*
+ Triss added to the trial of grasses scene.
+ Expanded dialogue between Ciri and Triss when you return to Kaer Morhen.
+ Expanded dialogue between Geralt and Triss at Vesemir's funeral. Mutual comforting over the death.
+ Triss replacing Philippa during the Sun Stone quest if in a romance with her.
+ Triss and Geralt to have a final scene/potential love making scene prior to the final battle.*
+ Triss to be with Ciri (same should apply to Yen if you romanced her) at the Inn at White Orchard during the Witcheress ending.

* One of these, not both.

This will provide content for the romance over all three acts as well as adding much needed characterisation and cotent to her even if you don't romance her.
Man why don't you mail CPRed about this. I would really love to see those adding to the game, could make the "triss fan's" the witcher 3 experience much better and yeah, much immersive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom