Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you see:"What does any other character bring to the plot? Maybe you'd like to switch Zoltan for Triss as well? Or Priscilla?" as a valid question, then I don't know what else should I do to make it more obvious.

You're misunderstanding me, those individual questions may be rhetorical but I assume you meant you didn't agree and didn't understand saladin's opinion, he just explained it in more detail so maybe you can understand where he's coming from

But I better stop before this gets too :eek:fftopic:

Man why don't you mail CPRed about this. I would really love to see those adding to the game, could make the "triss fan's" the witcher 3 experience much better and yeah, much immersive.

Well I've seen CDPR devs browsing this thread now and then, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get round to reading that list through here...hopefully :D

Man why don't you mail CPRed about this. I would really love to see those adding to the game, could make the "triss fan's" the witcher 3 experience much better and yeah, much immersive.

Because CDPR can't add all of this, this is too much, still a nice list for us but you have to think about another fan too...Don't turn the game to Triss's exclusively (not that i mind :lol:)

He has fled before, he could flee again.
You mean this scene? In which Eredin is the only one trying to reach Ciri and not trying to flee like Caranthir who immediately opens a portal and Imlerith who goes through it in the second it was opened?

Or do you mean this moment when Caranthir had to force Eredin to get out of there, because otherwise he would have died?

These requests could be shortened to one sentence: "Dear CDPR, we'd like you to Triss added to every important scenes and dialogues in the game. Thank you for your attention - fans Triss.

You mean this scene? In which Eredin is the only one trying to reach Ciri and not trying to flee like Caranthir who immediately opens a portal and Imlerith who goes through it in the second it was opened?

Or do you mean this moment when Caranthir had to force Eredin to get out of there, because otherwise he would have died?

Move to another topic please, this one about Triss, not about Ciri or Eredin

Forgive me a gif guys :lol: Can we get back on EARTH please?

Last edited:
These requests could be shortened to one sentence: "Dear CDPR, we'd like you to Triss added to every important scenes and dialogues in the game. Thank you for your attention - fans Triss.

There's a variety of issues with Acts 2 and 3 with several characters in dire need of attention, as well as issues with Yennefer pre-Skelliege because of the way romance was built in the game. Triss, Yen, Eredin, Caranthir, Imlerith and Avallac'h, and the relationships between them all needs a lot of work because its criminally ignored but since this is a Triss thread, talking about those characters would be off topic. There's already a topic for that so this is sticking specifically to Triss and how to fix that aspect. If you want to read ideas about improvements to the others, go read the Why the main narrative in the last third of the game is a bad hot mess thread where those ideas are discussed.

Ehm, no. The adding he suggests are worth of... mh... 7-8 minutes of gameplay? This game is supposed to be over 100h, and in that 100h Triss has a ridicolous amount of time. Beware, I don't say "replace this, this and this with triss", I would like to see triss talking in some pivotal moment of the game where, if she is geralt's chosen, she HAS TO to say something and interact with geralt, Ciri and yennefer herself. Yennefer storyline is good as it is, I dont' want to reduce that for triss' story's sake. I'm talking about some adds which could cover a good piece of story's nonsense.

Ehm, no. The adding he suggests are worth of... mh... 7-8 minutes of gameplay? This game is supposed to be over 100h, and in that 100h Triss has a ridicolous amount of time. Beware, I don't say "replace this, this and this with triss", I would like to see triss talking in some pivotal moment of the game where, if she is geralt's chosen, she HAS TO to say something and interact with geralt, Ciri and yennefer herself. Yennefer storyline is good as it is, I dont' want to reduce that for triss' story's sake. I'm talking about some adds which could cover a good piece of story's nonsense.

7-8 minutes, but in which moments? While most of the major moments in the story. The only thing missing in these requests, was the addition of Triss during a trip for Ciri to the Isle of Mists. It's probably also would be great? Romance with Triss requires minor improvements, and according to some people, these improvments is throwing Triss wherever possible. You write that Yennefer storyline is good as it is, but if requests by @saladin1701 were fulfilled, Triss would be a lot more than Yennefer and then it would be all right? I'm sorry, but Yennefer is a little more in the game, because she is more important from the point of view of the story and it has nothing to do with romance and so it should be. I am strongly against such "improvements" And what nonsense in the story you're talking about, that can be improved by adding more Triss into the game? :thinking: I know it's only loose suggestions, but still need to keep some sense. But that's only my opinion, so peace to all :hatsoff:

Triss would be a lot more than Yennefer and then it would be all right?

Totally :D

But seriously they should add Triss at Kaer Morhen when you first get there. And add something when you get on the boat to face Eredin. Why would lovers not speak at all when to know what they are about to do, it could be the last time they see each other. No, all that is said is "good luck" and Geralt just gives a causal nod. Hell iirc after you get Phillipa the only thing Triss says is good luck.. while everyone else is having conversations among themselves Triss just stand there doing nothing... its a shame. It literately would feel the same as if Triss weren't there at all

@Ghastly30I understand the point of view, I read the books so I know well how much Yennefer is dominating in terms of relevance. BUT... They've built the previous games heavely around Triss, so has sense enough to give a relevant role to her as well in the Witcher 3. Saladin's proposals are a lot and CDRed will never fulfilled all of them, so this discussion is basically of giving Triss the very same relevance Yennefer has. And to correct those non sense which are clear to most of us (please read some previous pages because some of them are truly obvious). You don't like that? Fine, I understand, but for example I don't like Yennefer so I would like more Triss ingame. The thing is: they should give us an equal role between Triss and Yen, because they've built this dualism, which in turn ended poorly (for those who like Triss) in the last (and most important) game.
Last thing: Triss being in (a lot of) pivotal moments of the story makes sense because they have given the chance of romancing her, so it's definitely legitimate her presence given the choice we made. You could've been completely right if they didn't add the romance with her.

Last edited:
7-8 minutes, but in which moments? While most of the major moments in the story. The only thing missing in these requests, was the addition of Triss during a trip for Ciri to the Isle of Mists. It's probably also would be great? Romance with Triss requires minor improvements, and according to some people, these improvments is throwing Triss wherever possible. You write that Yennefer storyline is good as it is, but if requests by @saladin1701 were fulfilled, Triss would be a lot more than Yennefer and then it would be all right? I'm sorry, but Yennefer is a little more in the game, because she is more important from the point of view of the story and it has nothing to do with romance and so it should be. I am strongly against such "improvements" And what nonsense in the story you're talking about, that can be improved by adding more Triss into the game? :thinking: I know it's only loose suggestions, but still need to keep some sense. But that's only my opinion, so peace to all :hatsoff:

Triss has four moments in the game:

1. Pyres of Novigrad.
2. A Matter of Life and Death.
3. Now or Never.
4. Blindingly Obvious

She appears at the end of Pyers and at the begging of Blidingly and as a supporting character during the events of the Battle of Kaer Morhen but has no more a role than Roche & Vess or the Skellige contingent.

Of those four quests, three occur in Act 1 - Novigrad, the other during Act 3. This is the time line for the game if played in the order according to the level.

Dream/Tutorial >> Prologue >> Act 1 - Velen >> Act 1 - Novigrad >> Act 1 - Skellige >> Act 2 - Kaer Morhen >> Act 2 - Isle of Mists >> Act 2 Battle of Kaer Morhen >> Act 3 - Bald Mountain >> Act 3 - Novigrad >> Act 3 - Skellige.

You have three areas before you meet Triss (Dream, Prologue and Velen) then six more before you see her again breifly only for her to be ignored for the rest of the game. Two issues here.

1st Romance: Triss romance is mechanical in nature. You tick boxes and you're in a relationship. The relationship itself is never developed. All the NPCs in the game assume you're in a relationship with Yen and you can do nothing to correct them. The game simply fails to recognise the Triss romance because it fails to develop the relationship.

2nd Newcomers: If you have neither read the books nor played past games, you won't know who Triss is. The game fails to develop her character sufficiently. She lacks depth, with little to no background given to her. Even as someone who has played all three games, there is a lot to this character we don't know because it exists in the books. As a result, we have an under-developed but major character in the game. Why is she major? Because she is the former love interest for the protagonist, the potential current love interest for the protagonist, sister figure to the protagonist's daughter and part of a love triangle between the protagonist and another major character. That relationship is simply ignored as if it doesn't exist.

If everything I've mentioned was fulfilled, Triss would still figure less than Yennefer. This is Yen's timeline of interactions:

Dream >> Prologue >> Act 1 - Skellige >> Act 2 - Kaer Morhen >> Act 3 - Novigrad >> Act 3 Skellige.

Triss timeline would look like this.

Act 1 - Novigrad >> Act 2 - Kaer Morhen >> Act 3 - Novigrad >> Act 3 Skellige.

Yennefer still gets more screen time as reflects her importance to the plot, not simply just to the protagonist. What the game needs is to develop Triss as a character and the romance option's relationship over the course of the entire game rather than it being limited to such a confined part of it. It's not a pissing contest. There's no need to get upset because Triss should receive more screen time, no one's suggesting narrowing the scope of Yennefer's involvement, on the contrary, the sensible amongst us are strongly in favour of her getting some better early game development as well.

Triss has four moments in the game:

1. Pyres of Novigrad.
2. A Matter of Life and Death.
3. Now or Never.
4. Blindingly Obvious

She appears at the end of Pyers and at the begging of Blidingly and as a supporting character during the events of the Battle of Kaer Morhen but has no more a role than Roche & Vess or the Skellige contingent.

Of those four quests, three occur in Act 1 - Novigrad, the other during Act 3. This is the time line for the game if played in the order according to the level.

Dream/Tutorial >> Prologue >> Act 1 - Velen >> Act 1 - Novigrad >> Act 1 - Skellige >> Act 2 - Kaer Morhen >> Act 2 - Isle of Mists >> Act 2 Battle of Kaer Morhen >> Act 3 - Bald Mountain >> Act 3 - Novigrad >> Act 3 - Skellige.

You have three areas before you meet Triss (Dream, Prologue and Velen) then six more before you see her again breifly only for her to be ignored for the rest of the game. Two issues here.

1st Romance: Triss romance is mechanical in nature. You tick boxes and you're in a relationship. The relationship itself is never developed. All the NPCs in the game assume you're in a relationship with Yen and you can do nothing to correct them. The game simply fails to recognise the Triss romance because it fails to develop the relationship.

2nd Newcomers: If you have neither read the books nor played past games, you won't know who Triss is. The game fails to develop her character sufficiently. She lacks depth, with little to no background given to her. Even as someone who has played all three games, there is a lot to this character we don't know because it exists in the books. As a result, we have an under-developed but major character in the game. Why is she major? Because she is the former love interest for the protagonist, the potential current love interest for the protagonist, sister figure to the protagonist's daughter and part of a love triangle between the protagonist and another major character. That relationship is simply ignored as if it doesn't exist.

If everything I've mentioned was fulfilled, Triss would still figure less than Yennefer. This is Yen's timeline of interactions:

Dream >> Prologue >> Act 1 - Skellige >> Act 2 - Kaer Morhen >> Act 3 - Novigrad >> Act 3 Skellige.

Triss timeline would look like this.

Act 1 - Novigrad >> Act 2 - Kaer Morhen >> Act 3 - Novigrad >> Act 3 Skellige.

Yennefer still gets more screen time as reflects her importance to the plot, not simply just to the protagonist. What the game needs is to develop Triss as a character and the romance option's relationship over the course of the entire game rather than it being limited to such a confined part of it. It's not a pissing contest. There's no need to get upset because Triss should receive more screen time, no one's suggesting narrowing the scope of Yennefer's involvement, on the contrary, the sensible amongst us are strongly in favour of her getting some better early game development as well.

Pretty clear and right.

Fact is: I disagree Triss should have all the time you described. She had screentime already in TW1 and TW2. In my opinion she should not even be part of TW3.

Not a matter of being upset, but adjusting screentime for all saga. That is fair, not selfish. Unfair was having Triss everywhere in TW2 if you chose Shani on TW1.

Some fixes for Triss? I'm certainly up for that. My priority would be a Rose scene closer to the end and make she appear on the Witcheress ending.

But there are other NON ROMANCE ISSUES that should come first. Sorry Triss, sorry Yen.
:angry2::disgust:

HaveFun, just a matter of all time saga screentime, nothing more.

But guys, I posted on the wrong thread, sorry, I had some tabs open and thought this was the Vs topic.

I am very sorry.

---------- Updated at 03:48 PM ----------

I don't like posting negative subjective opinions about Triss here... My mistake.

But guys, I posted on the wrong thread, sorry, I had some tabs open and thought this was the Vs topic.

I am very sorry.

I don't like posting negative subjective opinions about Triss here... My mistake.

Nothing to be sorry about, mate, your opinion is worth as much as anyone else's and I happen to agree with the sentiment, just not the character. I've nothing against the character, her reintroduction has simply caused more issues than it solved. :)

I am very sorry.

You think she should be deleted from W3, but why? And would it make sense for you? CDProjekt developed her as a character a lot, made the players feel hers and Geralts love and then they do this to her? Completely push her to the side, telling everyone that Yennefer is the right choice and ALMOST not including her as a romance choice. Pretty bad isnt it?

Its ok, this thread isnt made only for Triss fans :p

Fact is: I disagree Triss should have all the time you described. She had screentime already in TW1 and TW2. In my opinion she should not even be part of TW3.

I find this argument hilarious every time it comes up, it's like saying considering Yennefer has a lot of screentime in the booksI think she should have never shown up in the games.

That's not how it works, screentime makes characters important, which gives them more reason to be in the next games. If CDPR has kept Triss' role small in both games and made it just a fling like a random succubus then I would have been totally fine with her not showing up. But CDPR made her important and that's how she should have been treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom