Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but this is a forum devoted to the CRPG, not to put too fine a point on it. So that's the criteria I use. I've read a couple of the books, but this isn't really the place for that. Witcher 3 forums are all about Witcher 3! Mostly all about.

That might -seem- off topic, (again, Zyvik, tch tch), but it's a not so subtle reminder: these forums are for the CDPR video game interpretation of the Witcher universe, not Sapkowski's interpretation. So the Triss we talk about is the one in the games.

Which can be tough, but since not everyone has read the books, that's only fair. No, do not go OT to talk about why everyone should read the books. Simply accept that's the criteria for discussion around here - the videogames, not the books - and move on.

Plus, let's be frank: the videogames kick ass on the books in at least one department: visualization of hot redheads. I'd post a pic, but I think Dragon would cook me alive. Again.

Anyway. Hot redheads with beautiful voices. Why CDPR Triss rules over other Triss'.

Eh, yes and no. The books are the basis the game draws on to create its story, and it uses a lot of characters from them as well. The games have limited information from a specific perspective (only Geralts) so you can't really learn too much about any specific characters from just the games presentation and information alone. And they do for the most part stay true to them as a limit on what they can do for different things. It certainly shouldn't be a requirement to have an opinion here and whatnot, but they should still be respected, as they are the canon that the games base themselves on. They'll give more insight and information on what Geralt is supposed to know now having lost his amnesia.

Back on topic, reasons I like Triss have a lot to do with her character and idealism. She genuinely tries to do things for the good of others. She was good to Geralt and his friends, tried to avoid war, and was thinking of others moreso than herself especially when helping the mages get out of Novigrad. I may not love her, but I do like her. She is a good character with many redeeming qualities.

Cool to see you are giving the books a read, and it's also cool to see you. Hope things are going well, and tell Kutaka I said hi.

Triss, even though was an arguably secondary character in the books. I say arguably because, half of BoE had her on it and she made appearances in the rest. I'm not to delve much into the relationship she had with Geralt as it had been discussed many times.

What the character had though, was potential.

Potential that the devs saw. And in the games, they made her a primary character. Besides one of the two LI, she had the role of sometimes advisor, savior and ally in the final fight. Not sure why they did it, but fact is, they did.

Second game, she has a larger participation in the prologue, first act and the last act, serving also as one main of the main motivations to get the plot going. She gets here, ally, sole LI this time, damsel in distress, plot device.

Then in W3, she has some participation in Act 1 and an even smaller one in Act 3. She is still one of the LI, although there are some issues with her implementation.

Those are, more or less, facts. Her role in W3 is comparatively similar to the one she had in the books. She went from being the woman, sidekick, 2nd most important character, etc of the witcher series in W1 and W2 (in that one she was even featured in the cover) to again a supporting character in W3.

Why did CDPR gave her such a role? No idea. They probably said it in an interview back then. Was the right decision? You can judge from her popularity that it was.

Why did CDPR reduced her role? No idea. They said there were two more women that needed introduction and therefore needed the spotlight. Was it the right decision? Personally of course I'm going to say no.

But trying to stay neutral. There are are a hundred or so characters right now. Some get a lot of time. The two new characters get more than the others.

Here is the crucial question though, was it necessary to downgrade one of the main character in the series to make room for two more, or was the game big enough to make room for three?

I agree.

100% less Ciri and at least 50% more Triss and we have a much, much better TW3. :p

More like 200% more triss give or take... and that would still not be enough... it would never be enough.... until they release a companion dlc and she can have 100% uptime :)

As for Ciri, I don't mind, her sections were cool... just wish the story wasn't that centered on her and more on Geralt personal journey and the politic side of things... kind of like a blend of the best of W1 and W2.... nothing to do with Triss or Yen really...

Had to introduce them to the newcomers. Which I was fine with, but a bit more of triss would have been welcomed also. Plus a conversation during "act 3" between geralt, yen, triss and Crii would have been interesting.

@Charcharo

Sadly the community is doing that on its own, which you can really see in this and the yen thread.

The books and the games matter when discussing the games. Point is I have seen it also, and it sucks when threads start to close because of insults over differences of opinions. I'm all for a good debate but it sucks when ppl get personal.

I mean personally I like Tris and I like that in the games I can have geralt end up with her, that doesn't mean that I wanted to be the same way in the books. So I don't really have many disagreements over it, other than when some ppl start saying that choice is wrong because of the books. Which in my opinion the books, while ending a certain way, Do leave the chance for a romance with Tris. And while in the books there are certain things that might discourage some people from doing it, I also think that there are events in the games that would bring Geralt and triss even closer.

Eh player choice, when it comes to the games no one's choice is the objectively right choice

But I guess that's just my opinion and these are just thoughts that I felt like writing down, sorry if it's the wrong place

Last edited:
I agree.

100% less Ciri and at least 50% more Triss and we have a much, much better TW3. :p

I don't think you have to take away from one great character to add to another. I definitely have no problems with adding more Triss to the game but I don't think it should come at the expense of Ciri. Some of the Geralt and Ciri moments were my favorite in the game like the snowball fight and hugs (impossible to forget those). I do admit nothing tops the lighthouse scene including the guys trying to decipher the "code".

I don't think you have to take away from one great character to add to another. I definitely have no problems with adding more Triss to the game but I don't think it should come at the expense of Ciri. Some of the Geralt and Ciri moments were my favorite in the game like the snowball fight and hugs (impossible to forget those). I do admit nothing tops the lighthouse scene including the guys trying to decipher the "code".

Agreed.

More Triss is always great, I'm really looking forward to the Triss romance fixes (I'm sure we all are), but the Geralt and Ciri moments are awesome and touching; when he finally finds her, their snowball fight, messing up Avallach's hideout together and so on, but A Matter of Life and Death and Now or Never are still my favourite quests.

Yes.

And, I 'll tell you why.

Because I wasn't playing me, Sardukhar, I was playing Geralt of Rivia. And he was deeply in love with Yen, had spent games trying to get back to her and as Witcher 3 started, was still looking desperately for her.

I like Triss. A lot, INSOFAR AS SHE'S NOT REAL. But Geralt and Yen are something else. I don't like it, but I see it and CDPR did a good job making that clear. I respect that I'm playing Geralt and consider him a fool for not sticking with the redhead. But he's often a fool.

And if we want to talk about -why- Yen and not Triss, we need to take it to the other thread.

Triss-wise, when I first played Witcher 2, I killed Lotho for kidnapping her. Yes, even though he later rescued her. Because first, he took her. And touching Triss like that is a fatal mistake, regardless of what you do after.

Now all the other things that happened to her after W2 chapter 2...kill crazy time.

I was fine with her voice. Her -face- in Witcher 3 constantly threw me. I decided it had changed after her ordeals. It's okay. Still Triss.
Do you think Geralt wasnt in love with her? I mean, deeply? IMHO, he could have loved her as strongly as Yennefer, but no book reader can say that because he knew about Yennefer all the time when Geralt had the amnesia. I think they were both equal choice for Geralt in W3 after all theyve been through. Thats why I played through the game four times :D Twice with Yen, twice with Triss. ;)

---------- Updated at 07:35 AM ----------

Triss, even though was an arguably secondary character in the books. I say arguably because, half of BoE had her on it and she made appearances in the rest. I'm not to delve much into the relationship she had with Geralt as it had been discussed many times.

What the character had though, was potential.

Potential that the devs saw. And in the games, they made her a primary character. Besides one of the two LI, she had the role of sometimes advisor, savior and ally in the final fight. Not sure why they did it, but fact is, they did.

Second game, she has a larger participation in the prologue, first act and the last act, serving also as one main of the main motivations to get the plot going. She gets here, ally, sole LI this time, damsel in distress, plot device.

Then in W3, she has some participation in Act 1 and an even smaller one in Act 3. She is still one of the LI, although there are some issues with her implementation.

Those are, more or less, facts. Her role in W3 is comparatively similar to the one she had in the books. She went from being the woman, sidekick, 2nd most important character, etc of the witcher series in W1 and W2 (in that one she was even featured in the cover) to again a supporting character in W3.

Why did CDPR gave her such a role? No idea. They probably said it in an interview back then. Was the right decision? You can judge from her popularity that it was.

Why did CDPR reduced her role? No idea. They said there were two more women that needed introduction and therefore needed the spotlight. Was it the right decision? Personally of course I'm going to say no.

But trying to stay neutral. There are are a hundred or so characters right now. Some get a lot of time. The two new characters get more than the others.

Here is the crucial question though, was it necessary to downgrade one of the main character in the series to make room for two more, or was the game big enough to make room for three?

Exactly, I dont know why CDPR chose Triss at the beginning and made her "for some" the main plot of W2 and then suddenly pushed her to the side. W1 and W2 had very little to do with the story of the books, and maybe a lot of people will hate me now, but I think that what started that way shouldnt be changed. Many people say that Geralt "died" after the games are not with "the" Geralt from the books, maybe it was good. With inluding two main characters which made book readers happy (which is just a vast minority :p) but caused themselfs huge problems with other MAIN characters. One of them, especially Triss was made secondary. :( Thats what I think. Now only to wait for Triss' content fix. And PRAY for some future DLC for Triss. :(

Last edited:

Yeah personally for me there was room to share the stage. Still absolutely tragic for me every time i play Kaer Morhen section which should have been such a place, yet was reserved for Yen and her romance alone.

Some people like to frequently point out that Triss isn't perfect but we already know that and it never changes anything because we love her anyway.
I think most people here already know all the good and bad stuff Triss did in both the books and games and still love her. The fact that she is a flawed character only makes her more human and believable. Personally, things some people see as her biggest flaws or the things she has done that are unforgivable to some, are what makes me like her even more.

I think most people here already know all the good and bad stuff Triss did in both the books and games and still love her. The fact that she is a flawed character only makes her more human and believable. Personally, things some people see as her biggest flaws or the things she has done that are unforgivable to some, are what makes me like her even more.

Exactly, many people say how wrong was it that she didnt tell Geralt about Yennefer. Hey, that shows how much she loved him. And it also shows she would do anything to be one second with him. ;)

Just like in real life, some can forgive a person for what he/she done, some cannot ;)

Yeah personally for me there was room to share the stage. Still absolutely tragic for me every time i play Kaer Morhen section which should have been such a place, yet was reserved for Yen and her romance alone.

Nah we can still looking forward to fountain scene at this point. After this scene is the time for depression rush in :lol:

Basically sum up my experience in Act 3 after fountain scene

Last edited:
Exactly, many people say how wrong was it that she didnt tell Geralt about Yennefer. Hey, that shows how much she loved him. And it also shows she would do anything to be one second with him.
While that is definitely not the honest thing to do, I can understand her, she saw her chance to be with Geralt and took it, I don't blame her at all for that. All is fair in love and war.

Just like in real-life, some can forgive a person for what he/she done, some cannot
Exactly, every person has their own moral values, what is acceptable to some is not to others, and that is perfectly fine.

Just like in real life, some can forgive a person for what he/she done, some cannot

She cares for Geralt and Geralt can see it, if it was real life then i think he can forgive over time (if he feels he needs to forgive in the first place), and we see that through the Triss romance, he sees a future with her, and effectively she is his present and future.....past is past.. Some people may not be able to forgive, and that is fine.....to each his/her own, but not the case in my witcher world.

She cares for Geralt and Geralt can see it, if it was real life then i think he can forgive over time (if he feels he needs to forgive in the first place), and we see that through the Triss romance, he sees a future with her, and effectively she is his present and future.....past is past.. Some people may not be able to forgive, and that is fine.....to each his/her own, but not the case in my witcher world.

I think Geralt forgived Triss everything when they were standing at the docks. "Miss Merigold, we gotta sail!" "I... I love you." (Triss shook her head and walked away. Turned around like she wanted to say something though turned back and boarded the ship.) And then THE LOOK ON GERALTS FACE. ;( ;( When I looked at him I knew he already forgived her looong time ago and that he loves her, TRULY. ;)

:faith: Thank you, Geralt. For this...and for what you said at the port
:geraltfeelgood: I should've said it long ago.

Now i wonder, long ago mean what time is this back to when they in Kaer Mohen and trained Ciri together :devil:

You read my mind, sorceress, this is exactly what i thinking :lol:

I think Geralt forgived Triss everything when they were standing at the docks. "Miss Merigold, we gotta sail!" "I... I love you." (Triss shook her head and walked away. Turned around like she wanted to say something though turned back and boarded the ship.) And then THE LOOK ON GERALTS FACE. ;( ;( When I looked at him I knew he already forgived her looong time ago and that he loves her, TRULY. ;)
Both of their look when "leaving" each other

Triss

Geralt (repost...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom