Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Geralt forgived Triss everything when they were standing at the docks. "Miss Merigold, we gotta sail!" "I... I love you." (Triss shook her head and walked away. Turned around like she wanted to say something though turned back and boarded the ship.) And then THE LOOK ON GERALTS FACE. ;( ;( When I looked at him I knew he already forgived her looong time ago and that he loves her, TRULY. ;)

Yeah scene was almost perfectly done......actually on the funny side i was expecting Triss to turn around and say "Nah just joking, of course i will stay"......but seriously you could tell Triss was in two minds at that moment, almost had to make that decision in a split second, and then the look on Geralts face when he sees her leave and then that almost anguish look of sadness on his face when he sees the ship depart.....yeah he wanted to be with her, through the good and bad times (already forgave her long before, especially when he is begging her to stay with him)..... no doubts in his mind about it :)

:faith: Thank you, Geralt. For this...and for what you said at the port
:geraltfeelgood: I should've said it long ago.

Now i wonder, long ago mean what time is this back to when they in Kaer Mohen and trained Ciri together :devil:

You read my mind, sorceress, this is exactly what i thinking :lol:

Both of their look when "leaving" each other

Triss

Geralt (repost...)

Pictures are missing.

I don't think you have to take away from one great character to add to another. I definitely have no problems with adding more Triss to the game but I don't think it should come at the expense of Ciri. Some of the Geralt and Ciri moments were my favorite in the game like the snowball fight and hugs (impossible to forget those). I do admit nothing tops the lighthouse scene including the guys trying to decipher the "code".

Ciri and great character? It TW3? Yeah, whatever... :p

Back to Triss. :)

Triss, even though was an arguably secondary character in the books. I say arguably because, half of BoE had her on it and she made appearances in the rest. I'm not to delve much into the relationship she had with Geralt as it had been discussed many times.

What the character had though, was potential.

Potential that the devs saw. And in the games, they made her a primary character. Besides one of the two LI, she had the role of sometimes advisor, savior and ally in the final fight. Not sure why they did it, but fact is, they did.

Second game, she has a larger participation in the prologue, first act and the last act, serving also as one main of the main motivations to get the plot going. She gets here, ally, sole LI this time, damsel in distress, plot device.

Then in W3, she has some participation in Act 1 and an even smaller one in Act 3. She is still one of the LI, although there are some issues with her implementation.

Those are, more or less, facts. Her role in W3 is comparatively similar to the one she had in the books. She went from being the woman, sidekick, 2nd most important character, etc of the witcher series in W1 and W2 (in that one she was even featured in the cover) to again a supporting character in W3.

Why did CDPR gave her such a role? No idea. They probably said it in an interview back then. Was the right decision? You can judge from her popularity that it was.

Why did CDPR reduced her role? No idea. They said there were two more women that needed introduction and therefore needed the spotlight. Was it the right decision? Personally of course I'm going to say no.

But trying to stay neutral. There are are a hundred or so characters right now. Some get a lot of time. The two new characters get more than the others.

Here is the crucial question though, was it necessary to downgrade one of the main character in the series to make room for two more, or was the game big enough to make room for three?

Characters serve the story. Their importance fluctuates with the role they are given.

ASOIAF spoilers
Ned Stark was a main character of A Game of Thrones for 600 pages and then he died, even though by that point many people thought he was going to be the series' main protagonist. In the end, his role was not the one of a main character of the series, but the one of a man who sets things in motion and whose death fuels the motivations of other characters, his children most of all.

Similar thing happens with Triss. Her role was to guide Geralt back to his memories, while at the same time kinda trying to prevent him from reaching, to her, the most important ones - memories of Yennefer, so she can have him for herself. Once Geralt actually gets those memories back, Triss' role basically ends, which is shown by her lessened importance in TW3 and a certain disconnect of her character from the main events of the game. She's not dead like the spoiler example, but her main role, in the eyes of the writers who see the series as one big whole instead of separate parts like many people here do, is basically over.

Last edited:
Characters serve the story. Their importance fluctuates with the role they are given.

ASOIAF spoilers
Ned Stark was a main character of A Game of Thrones for 600 pages and then he died, even though by that point many people thought he was going to be the series' main protagonist. In the end, his role was not the one of a main character of the series, but the one of a man who sets things in motion and whose death fuels the motivations of other characters, his children most of all.

Similar thing happens with Triss. Her role was to guide Geralt back to his memories, while at the same time kinda trying to prevent him from reaching, to her, the most important ones - memories of Yennefer, so she can have him for herself. Once Geralt actually gets those memories back, Triss' role basically ends, which is shown by her lessened importance in TW3 and a certain disconnect of her character from the main events of the game. She's not dead like the spoiler example, but her main role, in the eyes of the writers who see the series as one big whole instead of separate parts like many people here do, is basically over.

Oh are you one of the devs? You know exactly what was she used for. :D
You are wrong if you think she was only used to recover Geralts memory. They developed a real relationship, deep and true.Geralt loves her and has reason to choose her as the woman of his life. She is a secondary character, but she is not a secondary romance in W3. Yennefer has much bigger role because she is tied to Ciri et cetera et cetera. Triss plays a minor role in the story, though she is still one of the two possible romance choices for Geralt. :p

I must be in a really small minority who thinks that the character's role didn't really suffer in TW3 compared to the previous game.

In The Witcher 2, she serves the plot more by how she's used than by anything she does. The game's villains are all either trying to use her or trying to undermine her relationship with Geralt (because the two of them can blow everyone's plans apart), but she spends most of the game off-screen getting bopped over the head trying to help our hero. After the butterfly bubble, she is largely absent for most of the game. The single most interesting (and plot-relevant) conversation she gets is actually with Philippa, is relayed by an eavesdropper, and can easily be missed if you don't give Iorveth back his sword in the ruins.

In fact, if you choose not to go with her to the ruins and then elect not to rescue her from the dungeon, she's almost completely irrelvant to the final two thirds of the game. I think she's similar to Zoltan in that respect, in that depending on Geralt's choices in TW2, the character can be very prominent or almost completely forgotten in the story. And that's in contrast to TW3, where she's critical to advancing the plot in Novigrad and then again in the Battle of Kaer Morhen, and the player doesn't have a choice in the matter.

The story (of the games) is about Geralt and Triss and, to a lesser extent, Yen. There wouldn't be a story without those characters. Everyone else, including Ciri, serves the story.

Triss wasn't the main focus neither in TW1, nor in TW2. Triss and Yen are not a focal points of TW3 plot either. But Ciri in TW3, according to @GingerEffect 's words in Yen's thread (in case if you don't find it obvious yourself), is the main stem of the story.

Last edited:
Triss wasn't the main focus neither in TW1, nor in TW2. Triss and Yen are not a focal points of TW3 plot either. But Ciri in TW3, according to @GingerEffect 's words in Yen's thread (in case if you don't find it obvious yourself), is the main stem of the story.

I never said Triss was in isloation, the focus of TW1 and especially TW2 is the relationship between Geralt and Triss and Yen. It's that love triangle and Geralt trying to sort through it as more of his memory returns.

TW2 specifically is all about Geralt's relationship with Triss, be that one he's continuing or one he's ending. It's about Geralt being involved with Triss and regaining his memory of Yen and one of Triss wrestling with the conflict of her love for this man against the fear of loosing him as his memory returns, either because he wants to return to Yen or because he feels used by her. The entire game's plot revolves around that particular love triangle. You could have had anyone play the role Triss takes on in the first game but take Triss out of TW2 and the plot simply doesn't work.

TW3 is about X being hunted by Y. The story would work perfectly fine if you replaced Ciri with Yen. Beyond a few tweaks around the edges, the main thrust of the plot remains. Ciri and the Wild Hunt were simply the characters chosen to play the parts of X and Y because the plot is not about the people but the hunt. It's a different kind of story altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom