Triss Merigold of Maribor (All Spoilers) Resurgence

+
What I meant is that it would be less attractive to the developers (in the hypothetical scenario where they actually add new content, not that I would bet on it happening) than the other approach, which is also closer to their original design. It is harder to justify major new content when its sole purpose is romance or relationships. But I agree that in the ideal case she would be in Kaer Morhen in Ugly Baby if romanced, as expected from the conversation in Now or Never. Without that, it would not have been expensive to at least explain the delay (like it already is with Keira, even though her personal quest line was also in Act 2, and got moved together with Now or Never), it could even have been something simple like Geralt receiving a letter when arriving at Kaer Morhen under certain conditions (e.g. if Nameless is completed later than Now or Never).
[/URL]

OK i was considering from an original point of view where she could have been there at UMA regardless of romance choice(either via Geralt invitation or Yen's) and it would have made more sense and would have benefited everyone to see confrontation between the 3.
At this point there isn't going to be any new quest content in the main arc so it seems moot.

---------- Updated at 02:00 PM ----------

The thing that always got me about Triss being absent from Ugly baby, was it was the perfect place to deal with the Triss, Yen, Geralt love triangle situation, regardless of whom you romance in the game. Irrespective of which choice you make in the game, the natural reaction for Yen is to be hopping mad at Triss for sleeping with her boyfriend yet whilst Yen has it out with Geralt over the events of sleeping with her friend, Yen and Triss act like best mates throughout the game, as if nothing ever happened. The way they act contradicts their own story.

Yep exactly my view. Have some kind of confrontation to resolution scenes prior to Ciri's arrival, rather than the current Yen's so mad then nothing... Everyone would have benefitted except maybe the cheaters who would have to jump through hoops or suffer early threesome punishment.
Sadly they are never going to change this, too much unpicking of existing content.

Yep exactly my view. Have some kind of confrontation to resolution scenes prior to Ciri's arrival, rather than the current Yen's so mad then nothing... Everyone would have benefitted except maybe the cheaters who would have to jump through hoops or suffer early threesome punishment.
Sadly they are never going to change this, too much unpicking of existing content.

I wouldn't say never. Like I pointed out in my post, we have to be realistic and realise that CDPR won't make changes unless they can recoup some or all of the cost of that. Alternative to the third expansion would be something like a GoT or Enhanced Edition that replaces the existing version. It's something their finance people would have to look at. Whichever way they do it, to ignore the under developed relationships in this game would be a disappointing way to end the series to put it mildly.

I wouldn't say never. Like I pointed out in my post, we have to be realistic and realise that CDPR won't make changes unless they can recoup some or all of the cost of that. Alternative to the third expansion would be something like a GoT or Enhanced Edition that replaces the existing version. It's something their finance people would have to look at. Whichever way they do it, to ignore the under developed relationships in this game would be a disappointing way to end the series to put it mildly.

I honestly don't think they are going to unpick existing content which would be required to fix uma. There's been no suggestion of an enhanced edition, the opposite in fact. The game has been a critical success and they've got a new IP they need to get developed. Guess we'll see.

A more profitable alternative might just be to release a third Expansion that addresses some of the problems with the lack of personal and interpersonal relationships between major characters were any investment can be recouped through its sales.

A third expansion would allow for the most new content, however, it would also require the most investment. Whatever (if anything) is added to the game after Blood and Wine, it would probably need to be completed until the end of the year, and only a reduced team can work on it, with a lot of people already moved on to CP2077. Also, I suspect a third expansion would most likely be a stand-alone story again like Hearts of Stone (and from what I have seen so far, Blood and Wine), and only include new characters. An EE might be cheaper to make, but it would not have as much new content, and it could only be profitable by increasing the sales of the base game (so its features might end up being focused on that, rather than "fixing" the content in the game). I guess it would be limited to a few new or expanded quests and various tweaks at best - TW2:EE had two major secondary quests (The Secrets of Loc Muinne and Lilies and Vipers) and a number of new or improved cutscenes.

A third expansion would allow for the most new content, however, it would also require the most investment. Whatever (if anything) is added to the game after Blood and Wine, it would probably need to be completed until the end of the year, and only a reduced team can work on it, with a lot of people already moved on to CP2077. Also, I suspect a third expansion would most likely be a stand-alone story again like Hearts of Stone (and from what I have seen so far, Blood and Wine), and only include new characters. An EE might be cheaper to make, but it would not have as much new content, and it could only be profitable by increasing the sales of the base game (so its features might end up being focused on that, rather than "fixing" the content in the game). I guess it would be limited to a few new or expanded quests and various tweaks at best - TW2:EE had two major secondary quests (The Secrets of Loc Muinne and Lilies and Vipers) and a number of new or improved cutscenes.

I honestly couldn't care less how they do it so long as they do address the problems. More screen time for Triss later in the game and more dialogue for Eredin would make great inroads in to the writing problems with the game.

Hello guys. Before I start I just want to say that yes I'm on "Team Yennefer", and yet here I am because I want to discuss Geralt and Triss (yes, weird I know). For that reason I want to make it very clear that I don't want to start a shipping war of any kind. That's why I will talk only about Geralt and Triss, I will not bring up Yennefer and I will not compare the Yen/Geralt and Triss/Geralt relationships. I hope everyone can do the same.

Anyway, my point : whenever I read a book, watch a tv show, play a video game, I like relationships where both characters really bring the best out of each other. I like it when you can say that both characters are better thanks to them being together, it is really something important to me when I "ship" characters together. My problem with Triss/Geralt being that I can really see what Triss can bring Geralt. When they are together he is I don't know more romantic, "shinier" I don't know if you can say that. Is it a good thing considering that it is not at all the way I see the character? I don't know but I can see why it is something others could want him to be. What I fail to see however is what Geralt can bring Triss.

Thing is I like Triss, I really do. In the books and in the games. I like her kindness, I like the way she wants to make the world a better place and the way she fights for that. What I don't like is the way she acts or the way she thinks when Geralt is around. Like she is so desperate to get him that she is ready to do anything to make that happen. And so she is not that kind, optimistic, maybe idealistic person anymore. That's why I could never ship Triss/Geralt, not because I don't like Triss, quite the opposite actually. Anyway (yes I'll get to the point eventually ^^ ), what I wanted to know is : how in your opinion is Triss a "better" person when she is with Geralt? What does that relationship bring her?

Last edited:
Hello guys. Before I start I just want to say that yes I'm on "Team Yennefer", and yet here I am because I want to discuss Geralt and Triss (yes, weird I know). For that reason I want to make it very clear that I don't want to start a shipping war of any kind. That's why I will talk only about Geralt and Triss, I will not bring up Yennefer and I will not compare the Yen/Geralt and Triss/Geralt relationships. I hope everyone can do the same.

Anyway, my point : whenever I read a book, watch a tv show, play a video game, I like relationships where both characters really bring the best out of each other. I like it when you can say that both characters are better thanks to them being together, it is really something important to me when I "ship" characters together. My problem with Triss/Geralt being that I can really see what Triss can bring Geralt. When they are together he is I don't know more romantic, "shinier" I don't know if you can say that. Is it a good thing considering that it is not at all the way I see the character? I don't know but I can see why it is something others could want him to be. What I fail to see however is what Geralt can bring Triss.

Thing is I like Triss, I really do. In the books and in the games. I like her kindness, I like the way she wants to make the world a better place and the way she fights for that. What I don't like is the way she acts or the way she thinks when Geralt is around. Like she is so desperate to get him that she is ready to do anything to make that happen. And so she is not that kind, optimistic, maybe idealistic person anymore. That's why I could never ship Triss/Geralt, not because I don't like Triss, quite the opposite actually. Anyway (yes I'll get to the point eventually ^^ ), what I wanted to know is : how in your opinion is Triss a "better" person when she is with Geralt? What does that relationship bring her?

Don't see why either should be made a better person, certainly not something i'd ever look for. I personally think they mesh extremely well together and was the natural roleplaying progression for me for Geralt who got opened up to a different point of view via Amnesia.
Triss is likely to be a happier more successful if she's domestically happy with the man she loves. Plus Geralt is the absolute antithesis of the political side which & that straightforwardness is likely to be very important. A much healthier work/home separation.
So two happy people is how i see it, no need to be better than who they are.

What I fail to see however is what Geralt can bring Triss.
how in your opinion is Triss a "better" person when she is with Geralt? What does that relationship bring her?

It depends about which Geralt we are talking about: book or game. If about book Geralt - I don't think that he can bring something positive to someone, in respect of long-term relationship. If about game Geralt (in games he can be more purposeful, self-collected; does not generate dozens of philosophical dialogues about how this world is cruel; make decisions and etc) - I see him as a good life partner for her, which could grant support in difficult times.
I take Triss as a good character with mostly good ideals (of course she has her own flaws as all other characters), but timid and unsure at the same time. Thats why I think she needs a close friend, whom she can trust; with whom she can be herself; whose support will help her to go forward, without fear "to stumble", to help her reveal her best human qualities; and Geralt "game edition", in my humble opinion, can be this friend.

Last edited:
Don't see why either should be made a better person, certainly not something i'd ever look for. I personally think they mesh extremely well together and was the natural roleplaying progression for me for Geralt who got opened up to a different point of view via Amnesia.
Triss is likely to be a happier more successful if she's domestically happy with the man she loves. Plus Geralt is the absolute antithesis of the political side which & that straightforwardness is likely to be very important. A much healthier work/home separation.
So two happy people is how i see it, no need to be better than who they are.

Yeah, well "better person" was actually a bad choice of words. What I meant to say is that I like when thanks to the relationship they have the characters become something more, become more interesting, reveal other sides of themselves. I like when you see an evolution to the character thanks to the relationship, something that makes you like the character even more than you did before. And when Triss is with Geralt, I feel like it is the opposite, I feel like the character I like disappears and turns into something far less interesting. That's why I wanted to know what you guys thought of this. I wanted to know how you see Triss evolving within this ship.

What I fail to see however is what Geralt can bring Triss.

Whatever anyone's preference of romance, whatever the supposed rights and wrongs of whatever she may or may not have done, this is a woman who loves a man. What does anyone bring to the life of someone who loves them? Happiness. Pure, simple happiness.

I take Triss as a good character with mostly good ideals (of course she has her own flaws as all other characters), but timid and unsure at the same time. Thats why I think she needs a close friend, whom she can trust; with whom she can be herself; whose support will help her to go forward, without fear "to stumble", to help her reveal her best human qualities; and Geralt "game edition", in my humble opinion, can be this friend.
Yeah, rrrrright. She had once such friend but somehow she found herself in the bed with her friend man and after that betrays her friend a few more times. And continue to show her best human qualities and pursue Geralt again and again... She definitely isn't evil characters but saying she is good is not true. Even in the games she isn't on the good guys side. She is with the Lodge and trying to help Geralt just because she is craving for him. And her decisions in 3rd games aren't wholesome good too.

Yeah, rrrrright. She had once such friend but somehow she found herself in the bed with her friend man and after that betrays her friend a few more times. And continue to show her best human qualities and pursue Geralt again and again... She definitely isn't evil characters but saying she is good is not true. Even in the games she isn't on the good guys side. She is with the Lodge and trying to help Geralt just because she is craving for him. And her decisions in 3rd games aren't wholesome good too.

Ok, I'm starting to believe that all of this was indeed a bad idea since this is exactly the kind of things I wanted to avoid. Rookie mistake, my bad.

It depends about which Geralt we are talking about: book or game. If about book Geralt - I don't think that he can bring something positive to someone, in respect of long-term relationship. If about game Geralt (in games he can be more purposeful, self-collected; does not generate dozens of philosophical dialogues about how this world is cruel; make decisions and etc) - I see him as a good life partner for her, which could grant support in difficult times.

Thank you very much for your nice answer.

Anyway, I didn't mean to "troll" or anything, and I didn't mean to spoil your fun either guys. I'm sorry if I did. I was genuinely trying to get another point of view on the game for a change.

I take her as good. The only thing, with what I agree with you - her start to get involved in affair with "no-memory" Geralt, without thinking about Yen and possible consequences. It's a rather selfish, understandable, but selfish. Other things - don't bother me at all. Especially this endless: she is with the Lodge. For me, Lodge - isn't something evil, and taking in consideration fact, that Triss allows Ciri depart in the end of LotL, despite possible negative aftermath from the Lodge towards her - put an end to my doubts about Triss.

I take her as good. The only thing, with what I agree with you - her start to get involved in affair with "no-memory" Geralt, without thinking about Yen and possible consequences. It's a rather selfish, understandable, but selfish. Other things - don't bother me at all. Especially this endless: she is with the Lodge. For me, Lodge - isn't something evil, and taking in consideration fact, that Triss allows Ciri depart in the end of LotL, despite possible negative aftermath from the Lodge towards her - put an end to my doubts about Triss.
If you think Lodge is good then yeah, Triss in you eyes is good too. Though her decision to let Ciri go is part of her guilty feelings before Geralt for what she has done to Ciri and Yennefer, if we are speaking of the books.

Well, at least you can now agree with the ideas from a couple pages ago - it is a common complaint about the game that antagonists need more screen time, so it would be a win-win. :p

Ok, I'm starting to believe that all of this was indeed a bad idea since this is exactly the kind of things I wanted to avoid. Rookie mistake, my bad.

No problem, there are always replies like that, but it does not mean an interesting discussion is not possible.

I take her as good. The only thing, with what I agree with you - her start to get involved in affair with "no-memory" Geralt, without thinking about Yen and possible consequences. It's a rather selfish, understandable, but selfish.

I can imagine the relationship could have started without thinking much about the future, maybe not expecting it to last long (as it usually is the case with Geralt), and then later when it became more serious she lacked the courage to tell him about the past. At least this kind of indecisiveness is more along the line of mistakes she tends to make than some sort of evil plan. And on the topic of what Geralt could bring to her, maybe having someone to really care about helps her become more determined and stronger, having a clear goal in both personal life and politics gives more motivation.

Even in the games she isn't on the good guys side.

Since when? The Lodge can be considered "bad" only in TW2. But even then it was only Sheala and Philippa. Triss and the other members weren't involved in their schemes. And in the other games the Lodge's members are allies wich means that Triss is always on the side of the "good guys" (or at least neutral).

Thank you very much for your nice answer.

Anyway, I didn't mean to "troll" or anything, and I didn't mean to spoil your fun either guys. I'm sorry if I did. I was genuinely trying to get another point of view on the game for a change.

You have nothing to apologise for.

Wow. I just noticed that Triss had a dagger in TW2 ??? Maybe that's why her gwent card is a melee.

p.s. She has dagger even in Nilfgaardian dungeon. Seems guards don't bother about it

It is not like she can make much use of it in shackles. But I guess CDPR just did not bother creating a version of the model without the dagger for that one scene. Speaking of continuity, when does she get the complete original outfit back after being decompressed ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom