Triss Merigold of Maribor (All Spoilers) Resurgence

+
Yep, she pulled her out, but there is no info, that she risked her life to save her. Later doings it's mostly about her overcoming her "demons" and standing for what she "believes".

"No, Triss had not to take him away from Yennefer. As a matter of fact, her friend was more important to her than he was."

I think it's pretty clear that she cares. Because if she doesn't then according to this quote she gives zero fucks about Geralt.

"We must trust assassination to the barely known witcher" (c) Lodge :lol:

Those awful, awful morons :facepalm2:

What have you done to my girlies, CDPR!? :cry:

But she doesn't need to be exactly like book Triss, because Triss grew as a person by the end of the books. Yes, she's a bit too Yennefer-like in TW1, but there was still a lot of Triss in there.
You called Witcher 1 Triss "strong, confident, manipulative, a bit bitchy"
"Growing" doesn't mean that someone has to become bitchy and manipulative. These are usually negative traits and getting rid of them is what I would call "growing" (maybe we should discuss the lack of character development of Yennefer as the above mentioned character traits are as present in the games as in the books)
Strong and confident on the other hand are positive traits and that's something that applies to Witcher 3 Triss. Otherwise she wouldn't be able to lead and save the mages in Novigrad for instance. She doesn't need to have Yennefer's personality for that and certainly doesn't need to be bitchy and dominant.
It seems you wanr Triss to be like Yennefer. But what's the point in that? What's the point of having two different women with the same personality?
A lot of people like Triss being more of a " nice girl next door" (just like she is in the books) and not someone like Yennefer who has problems to answer a single question in a non sarcastic way. Personally I appreciate the differences and the clear distinction betwen the two main love interests.

"No, Triss had not to take him away from Yennefer. As a matter of fact, her friend was more important to her than he was."

I think it's pretty clear that she cares. Because if she doesn't then according to this quote she gives zero fucks about Geralt.

Geralt was for her like "rara avis" for a one night. But judging on later events - I didn't see any real care towards Yen.

That is Yennefer's opinion, but she can be wrong.

Come on, no one knows him better than Yennefer. For example this quote: "He will achieve nothing. I know him. He’ll get caught up, lost in his own philosophizing, and wallow in self pity. He’ll vent his anger and hack at anyone and anything he comes across. Then, in expiation, he’ll do some grand, but pointless deed. In the end, he’ll be slain, stupidly and needlessly, most likely by a stab in the back.’" This is the best Geralt description ever and a pretty much accurate prophecy.

But judging on later events - I didn't see any real care towards Yen.

Finally someone :victory:

Last edited:
You called Witcher 1 Triss "strong, confident, manipulative, a bit bitchy"
"Growing" doesn't mean that someone has to become bitchy and manipulative. These are usually negative traits and getting rid of them is what I would call "growing" (maybe we should discuss the lack of character development of Yennefer as the above mentioned character traits are as present in the games as in the books)
Strong and confident on the other hand are positive traits and that's something that applies to Witcher 3 Triss. Otherwise she wouldn't be able to lead and save the mages in Novigrad for instance. She doesn't need to have Yennefer's personality for that and certainly doesn't need to be bitchy and dominant.
It seems you wanr Triss to be like Yennefer. But what's the point in that? What's the point of having two different women with the same personality?
A lot of people like Triss being more of a " nice girl next door" (just like she is in the books) and not someone like Yennefer who has problems to answer a single question in a non sarcastic way. Personally I appreciate the differences and the clear distinction betwen the two main love interests.

i do not want her to be like Yennefer. As I said many times I HATE her portrayal in TW1 (aside from the Kaer Morhen sequence).

Hey guys, just wanted to share my opinions about Triss in the books, and what makes me like her there :)
Geralt cares about Triss very deeply too even though he doesn't love her. What is harder to say is whether Triss really loves Geralt or only has a crush on him. I personally got the feeling that she is more fascinated by what Geralt and Yennefer have,she loves the idea of this, not so much Geralt himself, but then again this is only my personal opinion here. Anyway my point was,Sapkowski wrote very complex relationships between these three characters, there is not « hate » there, but there are mixed feelings for sure.

Loved your post and I agree with you for the most part. :) Though, personally got the feeling that (as you said) at first Triss had just a crush on him and was simply curious, however, in Blood of Elves after spending months with Geralt at Kaer Morhen and had a chance to get to know him better I believe she fell in love with him because she had never met anyone like him before. By the way I got the impression Triss had feelings for him at the end of the last book too but she understood that Geralt loved Yen and respected it. The way she was talking about Geralt during that catfight with Yen - for me it totally seemed like she was still carrying a torch but she accepted the fact that he will never love her thus she was trying to move on... That's just my interpretation. :)

Especially if you consider how extreme rare the elder blood is supposed to be.

Considering that "Elder blood gene" passed only through the female line (IIRC) - Alvin shouldn't exist at all. But seems things gone differently :hrhr:

it wouldn't have been possible to write the same story with Ciri instead of Alvin

Then it could be written for every elder blood carrier. An Geralt's story for the every witcher.

Last edited:

Those awful, awful morons :facepalm2:

What have you done to my girlies, CDPR!? :cry:
How is the portayal of Shela and Phillipa that different in the games?
It's not like any of their plans in the books worked. And being fooled by a Witcher is something rather characteristic for the lodge if I think about Geralt and the hideout of Vilgefortz

Loved your post and I agree with you for the most part. :) Though, personally got the feeling that (as you said) at first Triss had just a crush on him and was simply curious, however, in Blood of Elves after spending months with Geralt at Kaer Morhen and had a chance to get to know him better I believe she fell in love with him because she had never met anyone like him before. By the way I got the impression Triss had feelings for him at the end of the last book too but she understood that Geralt loved Yen and respected it. The way she was talking about Geralt during that catfight with Yen - for me it totally seemed like she was still carrying a torch but she accepted the fact that he will never love her thus she was trying to move on... That's just my interpretation. :)

Yeah, you may be right! And she accepts by the end of Lady of the Lake that she can't have Geralt, and that's part of her huge growth in the end, I like this interpretation a lot :smiling:

How is the portayal of Shela and Phillipa that different in the games? It's not like any of their plans in the books worked.

In the books Sheala is wise and reasonable. In the games she's a complete moron who doesn't have enough brains to read Letho's mind before sending him to kill a freaking king. There's no way Letho's grand plan would've worked in the books.

And being fooled by a Witcher is something rather characteristic for the lodge if I think about Geralt and the hideout of Vilgefortz

Only for lovestruck Madame Vigo ;)

As for her possible relationship with Geralt in future, for me it's not possible because: 'He knows (how to forgive) for what was done to him, of course,' Yennefer narrowed her eyes. 'But he will never forgive you for what was done to Ciri." Period

Triss allowed Ciri to leave in the end, and considering Geralt's long-period amnesia - it's hard to judge.

i do not want her to be like Yennefer. As I said many times I HATE her portrayal in TW1 (aside from the Kaer Morhen sequence).
So if you hate her witcher 1 portrayal and also don't like her witcher 2 and 3 portrayal, how should have CDP portayed her in your opinion?

So if you hate her witcher 1 portrayal and also don't like her witcher 2 and 3 portrayal, how should have CDP portayed her in your opinion?

More or less like how she was portrayed in the prologue of TW1. Brave, strong and confident. She can still be kind and idealistic, but not too naive. Plus she should be totally over Geralt and preferably in a relationship with Eskel. And of course she should be an active political player instead of being the Lodge's puppet.

In the books Sheala is wise and reasonable. In the games she's a complete moron who doesn't have enough brains to read Letho's mind before sending him to kill a freaking king. There's no way Letho's grand plan would've worked in the books.

I'm pretty sure the emperor and his mages would have prepared him for something that obvious like a sorceress trying to read his mind. And we don'T know if this plan would have worked in the books or not. The lodge wasn't particulary successful with their plans in the books either, so I don't understand why you are so confident.

Only for lovestruck Madame Vigo ;)

Yes and the rest of the lodge believed her. The whole lodge failed in this situation. Just like they failed with their plan to marry Ciri to Tankred. I would even call it a trait of Phillipa at this point considering that it's a somehow a pattern through the books and games. She always has ambitious plans and they always bite her in the ass.

Just like they failed with their plan to marry Ciri to Tankred.

Wich was Triss's fail, not Philippa's.

I would even call it a trait of Phillipa at this point considering that it's a somehow a pattern through the books and games. She always has ambitious plans and they always bite her in the ass.

How many times did Emhyr fail? Or Dijkstra? Or Vilgefortz? Every political player in the Witcher world fails, not just Philippa.

More or less like how she was portrayed in the prologue of TW1. Brave, strong and confident.
How is she not brave, strong and confident in Witcher 3? Does she run away from problems? Does she not stay in Novigrad while mages are burned at the stage around her? Does she not take the lead of all mages in Novigrad and get's them out of the city? Does she not fight in Kaer Morhen and Skellige against the Wild Hunt`? Does she not save Geralt and Ciri during these battles? I have the feeling you deny her these traits because she is kind and nice.
Being bitchy, manipulative and dominant has nothing to do with being strong and confident.
She can still be kind and idealistic, but not too naive.
Can you provide some examples of her being naive? And even if she is sometimes naive, she has every right to be. She is a very young sorceress in comparison to Yennefer or even Phillipa with a a whole lot less experience.
Plus she should be totally over Geralt and preferably in a relationship with Eskel.
i don't agree. There wasn't any indication in the books that she was over Geralt and with his amnesia she saw the chance to be together with him. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

And of course she should be an active political player instead of being the Lodge's puppet.
It made sense for her not being a political player after Witcher 1. She was always bound to Temeria and after Foltest dead there was no Temerian ruler anymore. Soon after Nilfgaard took over and Nilfgaard doesn't accept sorceresses in important positions, especially not sorceresses of the lodge. The remaining countries were controlled by Radovid, who wanted to burn her at the stake. So how excatly do you imagine her to be a "political player"?

Last edited:
How is she not brave, strong and confident in Witcher 3? Does she run away from problems? Does she not stay in Novigrad while mages are burned at the stage around her? Does she not take the lead of all mages in Novigrad and get's them out of the city? Does she not fight in Kaer Morhen and Skellige against the Wild Hunt`? Does she not save Geralt and Ciri during these battles? I have the feeling you deny her these traits because she is kind and nice.

In TW3 she's brave and sort of confident, but also terribly bland. She's kind, she helps people. That's her entire character in TW3. Geralt says that people follow her, because she's charismatic, but I just don't see it.

Can you provide some examples of her being naive? And even if she is sometimes naive, she has every right to be. She is a very young sorceress in comparison to Yennefer or even Phillipa with a a whole lot less experience.

Geralt: Who had Foltest assassinated?
Triss: I have no idea. Perhaps after Demavend's succesful assassination, Sheala and Philippa decided to take the next step?
Geralt: That would be stupid.

Geralt has to explain that to a politican :facepalm2:

i don't agree. There wasn't any indication in the books that she was over Geralt and with his amnesia she saw the chance to be together with him. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Unlike Yennefer, she responded rather coldly to his death. I always interpreted it as her letting him go.

It made sense for her not being a political player after Witcher 1. She was always bound to Temeria and after Foltest dead there was no Temerian ruler anymore. Soon after Nilfgaard took over and Nilfgaard doesn't accept sorceresses in important positions, especially not sorceresses of the lodge. The remaining countries were controlled by Radovid, who wanted to burn her at the stake. So how excatly do you imagine her to be a "political player"?

in TW3 she collaborated with the King of Beggars, Dijkstra and Tankred. Plenty of opportunities for a political storyline.

Last edited:
There wasn't any indication in the books that she was over Geralt

I dunno, maybe the fact that she was completely fine with him dying and basically didn't give a single f*ck about Yennefer begging her and Philippa to save him.

Yes, there are no quotes like "This stupid Geralt, I don't love him anymore" but it doesn't mean it's not there. Another thing is her indifference (kind of) to his death.
When you say that she's not over a man she can't have you strip her of most of her character development that A.Sapkowski created for her.

Top Bottom